Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:21 pm

I thought that was a very pleasant test, SF. I'd be happy with it. I rode under Ellie Stine-Masek today. She is an S judge. Ellie has been well known as NOT being a gift giving type of judge; but, to be fair, it's always obvious that she is watching the test you ride. I'm grateful I got a 66 from her with Brandon's huge spook, dead stop and refusal to go forward at first. The only other real disappointment with Brandon is that I was sure we had decent stretchy circles in both tests but Ellie didn't agree. Next schooling show I will make a point to carry a whip with him. We'll see if the tension monster returns or not. I realize that I can't use the whip in the regionals but I don't want to take a chance with him 'learning' that he can such back behind my leg in the shows. At the very least, his connection was tons better overall.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:05 pm

exvet, that sounds like a very challenging show, and you did it! well done! always moving forward and conquering. i don't know if you know how much you inspire me.

SF-very tactfully ridden, i see the same sticking points i had with that test. tesla and mikey, twins yup! she is coming along nicely.

kudos to everyone out there showing, it has been so hot! we have another show today. i scratched my first ride, 2-1 as it was 5 hours before 1-3 which i'm trying to get qualifying scores for. so there's that. we were on vacation for a week and half in colorado and i am fighting to fit in recognized shows while we are back in town.

we tried changes with mikey before i left and he's not strong enough yet, but we are working on half passes successfully so that's fun and exciting. we are working on additional strengthening him and straightness. i think not working on lead changes might work to my benefit so that he's not swapping leads when i ask for lengthenings/mediums at this point. he thinks way too much. and i am far from perfect as well so yea.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks ExVet and Chantal - I do have a question - the judge commented that both the free walk and stretchy trot were "hurried". I can see that she does pick up the walk tempo a bit in the free walk, but she's stepping through, not jigging, so I would have thought this would be a good marching walk and desirable. Once T warms up, she does a big power walk that I thought should score well for free walk, and I'm not sure if I can slow it down without losing the swing and overstep. The trot seems to stay on the same tempo as the working trot before and after. I know she needed to stretch more, so I'm not surprised that it was a 6, but the hurried comment does puzzle me a little. These movements are at about 2:19 and 4:20 for anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole thing.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:50 pm

Not Chantal but I did think this was a nice smooth test. I caught the hurried free walk but did not catch the stretchy trot. Going back though I do see a change in tempo in the stretchy trot. The walk what I see is T is restricted in her shoulders in the free walk. Quicker in the front legs than the back. I wonder if it’s related to the lateral tendencies in the canter.

Do you ever do butt tucks or belly lifts with T? My holistic vet who has taken a rehab course is having me do these along with carrot stretches and tail pulls on Joplin. Help that spine flex

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:35 pm

Straightforward --I looked at your test. I liked the trot, though I think she could be a bit steadier in the contact and a tad slower. The canter looks very lateral, and the canter left looked haunches in from what I could see. Normally I would say with walk comments, they are all over the board and half the time when riding or scribing, have no relation to what I see. But I think the walk does look quick, which makes it look tight. I think if you could slow the tempo of the walk, and even the trot, a bit more, it would help. I didn't see the hurried in the stretch--at least there was some there. Sometimes when I judge or scribe, I go the whole day and see nary a one that could vaguely be found.
Last edited by Tanga on Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:21 pm

Thanks Khall, and I wasn't meaning to only direct my questions to ExVet and Chantal! I don't do the tucks and lifts, but have been stretching her front legs before almost every ride, and I've been using the Equilibrium back pad too. She especially likes to lean in on the right. She does have plenty of ROM in her shoulders, but I think it goes back to holding tension and everything tightening up. It all creeps back in in a new environment.

Thank you Tanga for the feedback as well. I was definitely riding a little perched and just happy she was moving forward. Next time I will try to sit in a little more and try for a little more tempo control. Yes, stretching is hard in a show environment. I do prefer the stretch circle at the end in 1-2 vs doing it right at the beginning in 1-1. At home she will stretch way down, but I do tend to let her pick the speed, which ends up being Fast and Furious - maybe it is time to start regulating stretchy trot a little more.

I'm going to sign up to ride in front of this judge again in two weeks. I'm thinking three weeks in a row of showing will be good for T to get that additional bit of relaxation and hopefully start offering up a little more bend and better canter.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:53 pm

I agree is was a very pleasant test overall. The impression was pleasing. I agree the walk was was over tempo and not clear.

The stretch to less so. To me it was not obviously rushing, but I do think she had more range of motion in front than behind leading to a look of rushing. I do think it might look better overall if she was in a slightly slower tempo.

However if the slower tempi makes the canter transition sticky, then it just up to you how you ride it

Once looking closely, I can see all the things you talk about when you describe your difficulties with progressing Tesla but only because I was really looking. Theb overall impression was positive.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:27 pm

Straightforward, maybe something that will help you. Quinn can be very tight in the neck and shoulders, to the point she looks lame at the collected walk (you can see it in videos.) I am been trying all kinds of stuff for years, but think I found something that really helps, and Quilla, too. I do some leg stretches, too. But what I have really been doing is massaging/stretching the brachiocephallus muscles that run from behind the ears to the lower neck between the shoulders.

I was already stretching her by gently holding her head, mostly so I don't fall over, and pushing into her spinal column up and down the neck each side, which she loved. Then I added getting in the muscles more with my fingers, which she loved. Then I found the video where you get your hand in under the scapula, between it and the muscle, and push gently that way, and she LOVES it. It seems to really help with her being tight in general in the head and neck (I wonder if she's had headaches) and I finally got rid of that bizarre, short walk. Quilla doesn't get tight, but she LOVES when I do it on her, too. When I do that to her, she opens her mouth and moves it around and closes her eyes--I don't know what that means except she likes it. She's a yawner. She does it a lot, ad it's a happy thing.

I've also been sort of teaching Quinn to walk with her head lower all of the time. Quilla could be a western pleasure horse, leading or riding, always down and relaxed. But Quinn tends to be Araby and do that thing where they rock the chin up. So I cue and treat her to drop her head and stretch those muscles on the ground and riding and am trying to get it to be more natural for her to always be like that, and it seems to be helping. When I ride Quilla and pony her, I verbally cue her and tap the top of her neck with a whip, and you can see her slowly relax those muscles, soften her eyes, and start licking.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:20 pm

Thanks, I will try that. I learned that scapula technique when I did the Masterson weekend seminar, but Annabelle is so musclebound that there is no groove to get into. I'm not sure if I've ever tried it with T, but she does like the laser around her scapula. I'd love to have one of those stretching walls like Tristan Tucker uses, but a) I'd have to build it and b) it might become an attractive nuisance at the barn even if we could find a good place to put it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:41 am

SF…yes a pleasant test. What I saw is that although most of the time her frame is nice (I think she was kind of born that way), the energy is getting stuck somewhere. She is primarily leg moving. I thought the free walk was hurried but definitely a walk with nice stretch. You know about the canter. I would be over the moon that she behaved so well. Test riding is a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish and yes, after 3 weeks in a row, it will be very good with her. She has been a tough cookie to crack for getting her working with you but you are definitely getting there.
At least you had cloud cover for that one.

Susan

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:12 am

zevida wrote:I would love to be able to post mediums on my guy mostly because we have no medium to begin with and trying to sit the rushy wannabe non-medium isn’t fun for either of us. We aren’t going to get better than a 5.5 so just let us post and put us out of our misery. :lol:

So with you there :lol:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:36 am

StraightForward wrote:Whew ExVet, you had a much more challenging show weekend than me!

I took Tesla to a schooling show today and last I'd checked yesterday, my first test was 12:57. I know this because I told my husband about 5x since he'd agreed to come take video. I have to say Tesla stepped off the trailer pretty cool and collected, and went right to work in the warmup. The had some scratches and asked if I wanted to go early, but I declined, then they informed me that 12:47 was my ride time, so warmup was quite brief before riding 1-1, which went OK, though we were still warming up and I was riding it pretty conservatively. The due to the other scratches, they wanted me to turn right back around and ride 1-2, so we did, and I thought it went significantly better, except for missing the left T/C transition and circling back to pick up the lead. We did manage a few 7's, but it was just one of those days where the judge was giving lots of easy 6's, but we got hammered on a couple things with 4's and 5's. No handing out inflated scores at this schooling show, so we ended on 59.3 for 1-1 and 61.7 for 1-2. Here is the 1-2; I can definitely see that I need to get T a little more round and connected in general. Since the whole affair ended up being so short, I rode a bit afterwards and got some lovely soft, connected canter that I think was less lateral. Overall I'm super happy with how she conducted herself though; no screaming or sucking back behind my leg or flinging her hind end around. I'll be interested to see how we do riding these same tests under Debbie Rodriguez next weekend.

https://youtu.be/FQCpE7YiXcU

Your ride was really nice and forward! I quite liked the frame, but I agree a bit more connection will help you out. You can win a LOT of points by making your transitions really clear and crisp.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:33 am

StraightForward wrote:Thanks, I will try that. I learned that scapula technique when I did the Masterson weekend seminar, but Annabelle is so musclebound that there is no groove to get into. I'm not sure if I've ever tried it with T, but she does like the laser around her scapula. I'd love to have one of those stretching walls like Tristan Tucker uses, but a) I'd have to build it and b) it might become an attractive nuisance at the barn even if we could find a good place to put it.

RP used to be pretty tight for the scapula release but after doing it consistently, he has loosened up quite a bit in that area and i can now regularly find a nice groove. I need to get a video of this release being done on MM, however, because she will almost fully bring her scapula out and away from her body, my entire hand can just drop in well past the wrist. It's both a bit freaky and immensely satisfying :lol:

re: the stretchy trot: one my instructors used to coach us to ride that movement in an even slower tempo than our working trot. She said that because a horse can get a bit more strung out, they can look quicker even when the tempo is actually the same. So she had us think of doing it slooowww. It seemed to work as it was a movement her students tended to all score well on.

I had another lesson last week with the new trainer. It was good, but exhausting. She and my old trainer definitely see the same issues, but she is having me address them differently, which makes me a bit nervous because I'm not yet sure the system/approach will work. But I will try it. She also has been on me to sit much further back, it seems I have gotten in the habit of being a bit tipped forward, so I need to think about that as well. This week I will be out of town M-Th, so probably not much riding. It's been so brutally hot that MM would have likely gotten many of those days off even if was in town. We're supposed to finally get some rain mid-late in the week, so hopefully that will cool things down some.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:26 pm

Here's the scapula release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhtTvNqIxKQ

I have been stretching Quinn's neck to the side for awhile, so maybe that is why it seemed pretty easy from the start to get my hand in there. Quilla is pretty muscle bound in the shoulder, so just sticking my hand in there at first didn't work so well. It works a lot better if you bend them towards you. Blob--Quinn is like that--there is a massive space I can now get in there and massage to the inside or outside.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:04 pm

Much cooler here today, after some rain. Thats the good news... the bad news is the bug population has exploded.

And apparently Potters got himself thoroughly wound up in his fly sheet yesterday--both the belly straps and the butt strap ripped off, scrapes on his hocks and one shoulder rubbed raw. Oh, and I found the D ring from the butt strap embedded in his foot... so, no more fly sheets for him. He's pretty much shredded his mask too. That is mandatory, however, so I must take myself to Tractor Supply tomorrow.

Miracously, he was sound and pleased to go to work this morning. We had a good ride working on me and my position and influence, which was super-helpful and sure made Potters happy.

Tomorrow we will go through the 3.3 and video it to see where we need to focus in the next couple of weeks.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:16 pm

SF-I think she is more hurried in walk, than in the stretchy trot, but I can see it. It puts her a little on her forehand in the walk. I think if you slowed the stretchy trot with your seat just a titch and make sure your legs are wrapped around and lifting her you'd be happy with it. I'd much rather have a forward horse than a backed-off one.

I do butt scratches and belly lifts with Mikey and I feel like they've made a world of difference.

Here's a video of my ride yesterday. Not our best test, we are doing new work and he's fallen back into being crooked with his haunches which is very visible. What you don't see is at the end of the first canter lengthening he swapped his front legs so I had to trot and canter again. Scored a 5 after one of our best canter lengthenings according to the photos hubby took. I need to let his head out a little but he was really reaching with his legs. I'll get to the photos soon. Still lots of stuff to work on, not our best walk, he needed more energy this time imo but I liked our LY to the left and I liked our shallow loop counter-canters. Don't even get me started about the halts. He didn't like the footing going from the good indoor to the outdoor sand and made me work for every stride for the entire test. I don't see it in the video but he didn't give me anything, I had to work the entire test. And I lost my right stirrup on the first trot lengthening, and both were awful. I think we are in a weird place between being gone for vacation and working between levels right now.

All that being said,we got a 66.5.

https://youtu.be/YFS8UFKUPRY

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Nice test Chantal. Good score. Not only do I do the belly lift ( especially asking for area right behind the withers) and butt tucks I also do carrots stretches. One if the exercises I do to help opening the pecs/chest and asking for more lateral reach in the front is counter bending turns and push the trot in counter SI.

I also have to say that belly band is really helping. I’m
Increasing time in it and added canter. Joplin’s canter looks great in it. I’ve asked my vet to send me the research behind the band. She knows of jumper riders who jumps 1.30 m in theirs.

It’s brutally hot here right now. Bleh

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm

Both a nice test and a nice score Chantal. I think Brandon has strained his extensor tendon on his back right which is making it difficult for him to maintain the canter left. Darn horses.......I don't believe it's torn because there's no heat or swelling anywhere. I do think it's going to set us back a bit in terms of trying to introduce more second level work.

Looking forward to seeing more from you two.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:36 am

Nice test Chantal! Mikey has some moments where he comes together and looks super fancy. That 1-3 is a long test!

ExVet, jingles for Brandon, I hope it's very minor and temporary!

I had a really nice ride on T this morning, doing a RideiQ lesson that uses lots of small LY back and forth off the rail in trot. Eventually started working left canter where she is hollow, but also doesn't tend to release and bend properly. This has lead to swapping behind, which happened a few times today, but then I got her into a much better bend and got a couple amazing uphill canter departs and some really nice-feeling canter. I'm going to try to get some video tomorrow to see if it looks how it feels. Just when I was ready to quit, she saw something out in the field that added a shot of energy, so I used that to get some really nicely connected trot work, then we played with trot HP a little bit until the fizz fizzled out.

Annabelle is coming back into work just fine other than having forgotten what a half-halt is. I kept the ride short because I'm asking for more engagement and collection than I'd like when she's just coming back into work, but feel like I need to send the message that I will not be carrying her head; not even in the down transitions.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:51 am

Oh exvet, I hope it minor with Brandon. Darnit!

Khali, we also do carrot stretches, including a poll stretch. Sorry it's so hot there. We got some relief for the Sunday show and today was beautiful too, only 85. Crazy when it's only 85.

SF- it's so rewarding when things start coming together, like the uphill canter departs.

We were so together before my vacation. He is a nice mover, I feel very lucky to have found him. And it's getting really fun. I've learned so much, and so much more to go. Yikes, I can't believe it's been almost 5 years. There are times I feel like we should be so much further along, but things happen when they happen.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Chantal - you make a very elegant pair, well done!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:07 am

Thank you Mari, and all :D

Some photos DH took. These are from the show the end of June, we were more in sync than the one last Sunday. These were from test 1-2. The ring was dark but I kinda like the feel of the photos, and I love how forward he was. That was the first time in the show ring he was like that.
Attachments
DSC07294.jpeg
DSC07294.jpeg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 177931 times
DSC07111.jpeg
DSC07111.jpeg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 177931 times
DSC07112.jpeg
DSC07112.jpeg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 177931 times
Last edited by chantal on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:12 am

Pics from last weekend=lacking the forward and over the back, and I wasn't as good with my hands and core, and legs as you can see in the canter. And I need to let his face out, not hold it behind the vertical. On the plus side, this canter did start out really well, the best one of our lengthenings have. But then it all went to heck due to things. :lol: The trot was okay but not quite as forward.
Attachments
DSC07622.jpeg
DSC07622.jpeg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 177930 times
DSC07701.jpeg
DSC07701.jpeg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 177930 times
DSC07437.jpeg
DSC07437.jpeg (88.28 KiB) Viewed 177930 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:03 am

Well you know what needs to be improved but there is so much more to like. Love the last picture. Again, congrats chantal. Mikey is a keeper for sure.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:29 am

Kyras_Mom wrote:SF…yes a pleasant test. What I saw is that although most of the time her frame is nice (I think she was kind of born that way), the energy is getting stuck somewhere. She is primarily leg moving. I thought the free walk was hurried but definitely a walk with nice stretch. You know about the canter. I would be over the moon that she behaved so well. Test riding is a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish and yes, after 3 weeks in a row, it will be very good with her. She has been a tough cookie to crack for getting her working with you but you are definitely getting there.
At least you had cloud cover for that one.

Susan

Leg mover. Yeah, that seems obvious when you say it. Ha, I did get video this morning, and in true Tesla style, we had our toughest ride in a couple weeks. Finally did get her somewhat cooperatively cantering, but not the same as yesterday. She was definitely responding to work on her bracheocephalus and around the forearm on the right this morning; I don't know if that was related to her sudden recalcitrance with the canter, even though she warmed up quite well. Tonight she got a shoulder/thoracic sling taping, so tomorrow will be light work to avoid sweating the tape off. I'm hoping Thursday she'll be back on her recent trend of cantering willingly. If not, we have a lesson Friday morning with someone who is willing to wield a lunge whip. :twisted:

Got my ride times for Saturday - 1:54 and 3:05. Bleah. At least it's not supposed to get over 90, and I bought an ultra-vented short sleeve show shirt. I guess the hour-ten between rides will be a good learning experience for us. :roll:
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:43 pm

Oh, those are difficult ride times, SF. Too much time but not quite enough, and in the heat of the day.

I've not watched your videos yet, but I will!

Chantal, you and Mikey look like such a well-matched pair! Is it really 5 years? Wow.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:08 am

Chantal, nice test. I'm curious if the judge wanted more reach ( longer neck) in the stretch trot and free walk? The photos are pretty and he did not look behind the vertical to me.

StraightForward, good luck at the show. Keep cool and take a break between tests.

I'm taking Honey to get first schooling show. I've decided to get her or and about often, having learned firm my mistake of keeping Saiph home till she was ready for 4th.

As you can she she is still unsteady on the contact and I expect to be dinged mightily for it. But her mom body is beginning to muscle and I have no idea how she is going to load and trailer lol

https://youtu.be/weQKgQQeAx0

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:46 am

Hi Chisamba, thank you. And yes, more stretch in both the stretchy trot and free walk. That was not his usual free walk, almost but not quite. We usually get 8's. He was backed off for him. But I feel like that was a lot of the test, not as forward as I wanted. Good luck at your show with Honey. I agree, good to get out and get going.

Good luck SF, have fun!!

Thank you moutaineer, yes, 5 years on the nose! Oh my!! :o

I have to say, my back and body are sore today after working on 10m circles, trot and canter and lengthenings in both gaits in my lesson yesterday. Ouch. Still not quite back in shape after being gone for 2 weeks.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:44 pm

I'll have to wait and see if I'm sore tomorrow. I wasn't so much sore as just worn out after my four tests last Saturday. I then drove down to the Valley to work Sunday, and rode Mon & Tues (both boys). After working Wed - Friday here in Prescott, I was able to get two very valuable lessons from another judge, coach, instructor, clinician/long time acquaintance. I've ridden under her many times in various shows over the years but never have had a lesson with her. I have to say I got so much insight from what she shared watching my horses. So with Junior, she immediately noticed that he's more relaxed through the back at the canter than the trot. So she asked if I could use my seat in a way that got him to relax his back at the trot? I showed her what I knew to do and voila! I was getting more power and suppleness through the back in both my collected trot and medium trot. I think I caught her off guard/really surprised her. She had me insist on Junior being more forward in the canter and use my seat to bring him up through the shoulders. She asked me what I felt was different in my seat/riding. I told her honestly I simply went into my eventing seat and decided to ride the canter like I was heading to an oxer which really meant I had connection in my seat and thigh, using them to lift and roll him forward but also was giving him room under my pelvic to come up as I cantered with my seat for a more reaching gait. For the trot I simply relaxed my back and bounced his trot while he was engaged. Junior showed her that he could do this. She already knew I was having trouble with the flying changes; so, she had me show her and she observed that I stiffened my back when I asked Junior for the change which gave him the excuse to brace his back and therefore no room for him to jump and change. So she had me do some changes with me basically using my seat only but keeping my back as soft as possible riding the canter forward with my seat and just going from one lead to the opposite one. We did manage to get some very lofty, in the air changes. She also was very on top of me to make all of my transitions forward using the hind legs more quickly which Molly had been working with me on but I found if I kept my back from tensing up, Junior was far more responsive. It was a good lesson.

On Brandon we of course worked on balance, tempo and being very demanding in him learning the difference between when he had to give me his TOTAL attention and when I was clearly letting him have a break. We worked on transitions between the gaits, changing directions a lot and insisting that he remain in the contact even if it meant me raising the outside hand, pushing him forward until he accepted and softened to the contact (especially in the transitions of trot to canter going to the right). She also had me focus on being more elastic in the elbows when cantering to allow him to stretch his neck more but use my seat/thigh to keep him out and not curl. We got some very good work in and Brandon's mouth was mostly quiet. She was very quick to pick up on the challenges of his busy mind and realize that he isn't one who can be drilled. She also didn't see any evidence of being NQR so I think his pasture boo boo has resolved.

Now the question of whether or not I'll be sore tomorrow really depends on my back. Brandon is a back mover naturally and Junior has always been more of a leg mover. Today, though, for two hours (with a 45 min break in between) I had to use my back, not stiffen it, but really use it........stinks getting older but the better responses I got from both horses really showed, I also think she identified the lynch pin in my FC woes. I hope to be able to get a lesson from her again in two weeks. If I can it will be interesting to see if the path I'm going to be work on in the meantime is the right one.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:07 pm

I brought honey in to ride today and while I was picking her feet I picked off a hard bit and gush
out oozed a hoof abscess. Ugh
She wasn't even lame yesterday. So of course I cleaned and treated it and put hey back. So Flei. Who is totally not ready and bucks like a demon is coming. The goal is very minimal. I'll let you know how it goes.

Exvetbit sounds like you had a very productive session with your boys. Interesting about the " eventing" seat

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:53 pm

Went from sweater weather Thursday to hot today, and hotter tomorrow. Lucky me. Day 1 with Osinksi, who I trust as a judge. He was not liking my extensions and I got 5's and 4's all day. 7 on halt, two tempis, and change. Trot like in passage and more lift in piaffe. I was being VERY careful to be clear with the aids so she didn't get confused or upset. She gets so wild into the ones, and we still missed one, but it was better. I'm finding if I ride with a longer rein on the snaffle for most of it, and the curb for the ones and extensions, she seems to like that better. Now I need to actually get extensions tomorrow and not be afraid. She didn't get all riled up today and was happy, I'm just bummed I didn't get the one score I really needed--the GP. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quilla GP, 58% : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtD07LjtlPU I forgot where the pirouettes were supposed to be and Quilla stopped, and the errors dropped me below the 60 needed. Argh!

GP FS: Some bobbles, but some right on with the music. 66% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MveQA-Gg2c
This quieter music and me cutting the music to the ride is working getting me 6.5, 6.5, and 7.5, 7.5 7.5 on those super important coefficients of 4 on the artistic side.
Last edited by Tanga on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:58 pm

Quinn was much more wired today, and I rode her later when it was hotter. He nailed me on the extensions and our piaffe/halt (we have been workin on it!!!) But we got 8's on both walk pirouettes (been working on those like crazy) and except for the supposed to be the three tempis where I forgot and asked for the two tempis and changed my mind and it was all my fault, it was all 7's from the canter pirouette on and we won the class.
https://youtu.be/DemiDjFlKWs 63.6%

I like the changes to her freestyle and even though I kind of forgot what I was doing at the beginning and winged it, it went really well. 68% and won the class over Quilla and another GP horse.

Quinn is first tomorrow, so I think with this not being a one off show, she should relax a little more, and i will try to focus better and not lose easy points. I just HOPE we can get over 60% on Quilla's GP.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:11 am

Exvet, sounds like some really productive lessons.

Chisamba, I hope Flei behaved and Honey is on the mend!

Chisamba, looking forward to watching your tests.

Things that went well for me today:

Tesla was easy to catch out of the pasture, stood patiently for braiding, loaded and unloaded nicely. She is being quieter at the trailer, and I was able to just tack up and mount - no grounds familiarization needed. Under saddle was another story though. She has gone back into one of her phases, and we had a pretty tough lesson yesterday morning. Today's first warmup was not much different. I got her into a big trot and finally turned that into a nice big canter and we rolled around the arena a few times. After a walk break, it was like I was starting from zero again and had to work my butt off to get any canter at all, so I scratched my first test. Took about a half hour break and then went back for another tough warmup. I finally got her sharpened up and was getting obedient canter transitions. I avoided any standing around time, and even did a canter down the longside after the bell right before we went in the arena. Test started out fine, but after the walk, there was just no canter to be found. I hoped to get it on the 15m circle, but no dice. By then, judge rang the bell, so we went back to A and tried again - nada, she was jus stiff as a board and there was nothing there to ride, so I waved the white flag and retired.

I think this week I'll focus on jumping. It did occur to me that she hasn't jumped in a couple weeks, and it might help with this most recent return to the Dark Side.

For some good news, I popped Annabelle through some little jumps last night, and she showed absolutely no hesitation. I didn't think she would have mental baggage from the accident, but it was good to confirm that. Hoping to have the jump rider back up this week, and get her to a local H/J show at the end of September.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:48 pm

Congratulations Tanga on some really good scores even if it didn't all pan out as you had hoped. Good luck today!

SF, so glad that Annabelle wasn't phased by her previous mishaps. Sounds like she's a tough cookie.

I rode Brandon in the arena today building on some of yesterday's key points. I'm happy to say that Brandon did rather well despite the Raven caucus (literally) that we had hanging on the fence line. Brandon does NOT like big black birds especially when they shout at him; but, he held it together. Junior gets a trail ride today, much deserved.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:15 pm

Quiet few days here after a big week last week with lots of training breakthroughs for me.

Potters gets his Osphos shots on Tuesday so he has to be off his anti inflamatorires for several days beforehand, so easy does it until all that is in his system and settled down. Having said that I was suprised by how sound and forward he was on Friday after 2 days off Previcox. I shall hop on him tomorrow just to test how he feels out of interest. Maybe if he feels good I can talk to the vet about cutting his regular dose back a bit.

So I'm getting my yard weeded and some work done!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 pm

Show report.

Flyn had never practiced any tests, nor prepared in any way to show, but when Honey developed a hoof abscess, I substituted Fly.

A little video

https://youtu.be/PnnVHV1Sijs

64 and second place.

And a few photos
Attachments
received_654264863302244_320x295.jpeg
received_654264863302244_320x295.jpeg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 177655 times
received_690051256277346_240x252.jpeg
received_690051256277346_240x252.jpeg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 177655 times
SungAnderson.jpg
SungAnderson.jpg (68.69 KiB) Viewed 177655 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:44 pm

What a nice confidence building ride, chisamba. I used to tell my (ex) husband one reason why I had so many is so I would have 'back up plans' in case one came up lame. Congratulations on the score and the placing. He looks like one who wants to please so no practice necessary just a rider who knows what they want and can translate it ;)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:16 am

Chisamba those giant friendly ears are lovely!!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:35 pm

Good boy, Fly! (And nice, tactful riding, Chisamba.)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:06 pm

Tanga-sounds like a good show, you've been working really hard!

Chisamba-good for you, and what a good pony!

SF-You will work through this. I spent a year or more with no R canter on Mikey, it will come. Many other things are working for you so that's good. And good news about A.

exvet-your lesson report really spoke to me, especially since this past weekend I had the comment about tight back in my trot to canter transitions. When I rode this morning, I worked to keep my back soft and followed your instructions even though I'm not doing changes and I loved the horse I had under me. He was so much better in the transitions, especially in his head and neck. And yes, his back. But back to you, sounds like awesome sessions with your friend with both your boys and lots of good work. How is Brandon feeling?

A few more pics from this weekend, no video. 1-3 went pretty smoothly except for a break in the left lead counter-canter. We got a 66.8. We've been working on lenghtenings and centerlines and straightness so the CC went backwards a smidge. We got better halt scores and the straightness paid off but I think I was letting him go through my reins a little and he wasn't as engaged behind at times and it showed in our canter imo. And I really want to work on my corners, I'm not overly impressed with my leaning.

A few of my favorite pics from DH who is quickly becoming the braid taker outer extraordinaire.
Attachments
canter.JPG
canter.JPG (232.07 KiB) Viewed 177506 times
Trot.JPG
Trot.JPG (230.78 KiB) Viewed 177506 times
LY right.JPG
LY right.JPG (232.83 KiB) Viewed 177506 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:07 pm

Well Damn, at the equine ER with a two year old with a rectal prolapse

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:55 pm

Oh no, wishing you the best.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:11 am

Jingles coming your way Chisamba.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:39 am

Is my friend home bred warm blood. She is out of town, of course, and we checked on the horse to find this
Attachments
20230808_144406_240x320.jpg
20230808_144406_240x320.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 177480 times

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:07 am

Oh no! Jingles that the 2 yr old will be ok. I’ve seen this in dogs but never horses. Wow that is horrifying

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:13 am

OMG! I have never heard of that happening to a horse. I hope she comes out k. keep us updated.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:33 pm

I had a mini stallion who did that several years ago. His came out much further. Vet came out and stuffed it back in and packed it with sugar. I was rather horrified….especially since it was a fairly new young vet and not my regular. However, it went back in and stayed in. I think she put in a couple of stitches. It never happened again and he lived for another five plus years. He was in his late teens at that time. I’ve no idea what caused it or why it happened.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:36 pm

Actually the stitches broke and another vet came out and restitched too tightly. Then had my regular vet (finally) who came and loosened stitches so he could poop!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:47 pm

Srhorselady wrote:I had a mini stallion who did that several years ago. His came out much further. Vet came out and stuffed it back in and packed it with sugar..

Oh, I was wondering if that was still a treatment. I remember that being the treatment for a prolapsed uterus in one of the James Herriot books.

Jingles for this horse, I hope he is OK!
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:46 pm

I put sugar water on it before the trailer ride to Furlongs, she had a tear in it. They added more glycerin, gave her an epidural and replaced it. They did a keyhole suture but didn't close it. It has stayed in, the inflammation is reducing and since only the left side prolapsed and she is a bit sore on her left they think it was trauma, she skips around and runs and bucks a bit so maybe it was just a fall?

Return to “Dressage Training”