September October, we go on and on.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Re: September October, we go on and on.

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:38 pm

Everybody sounds busy and productive.

I have been able to ride pretty regularly…every-other-day. She has been working really well. Energetic, forward, soft in the rein (even in the mullen mouth Myler) and just generally really agreeable. You can’t beat that. I have just been throwing in a bit of everything. The other day was transitions within the gait..trot and canter.
Today I was doing a bit of lateral work in walk warm up ended with canter with simple changes all the way around the arena including a counter canter on each rein through the corner. She was just Ms. Automatic with her changes (again simple changes not flying changes). She was doing really well until the velociraptors (aka the quail) started chittering in the brush pile outside the arena and got a little tense but she still stuck with the program.

I am taking her in next month for follow-up for her broken tooth. She has had no issues eating, no drooling and no bad breath. So we will get a follow-up x-ray and if it is stable, I am going to let it ride and not remove it.

My trimming is going OK. Kyra is moving well and freely so I guess I am not mucking anything up too much. I did text pictures to my former trimmer to make sure I wasn’t doing anything horrific. She suggested a couple things that I did today while I was doing her back feet. I normally do one end at a time.

The new barn owner is working on getting some instructors in. One of them wants to do working equitation. I don’t her name and don’t know whether she knows her stuff but playing with some W.E. would be fun. We will see. Just to try a couple things today we did some side pass…quite nice and I did a canter volte which also came off quite well. Again, we will see it anything comes of it.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:20 am

Whew, I just got home from the second day of the Leslie Morse clinic. The first day was not quite a dumpster fire, but I went home wondering WTF I'm doing with my life. Basically T was sucked back, Leslie suggested all sorts of physical maladies that might be causing it, and we had a short lesson that made me feel like a sack of garbage next to all the pros I'd watched go before me, though I did get some value out of it. Today was much better. I planned on a longer warmup today so I could start out with T more forward, but then I was informed about at 12:05 that I would be riding at 12:30 instead of 1:00 (so also had to scrap the plan of setting up the new SoloShot). Went to the outdoor and started my warmup, then got sent to the indoor so they could water - precious minutes lost! However, T was a champ letting me remount right away and went to work in the indoor, and I was able to spank her into a canter without any onlookers, and did a big canter both ways. We got back in the outdoor and started the lesson, and got into the trot work right away. We basically worked on a zero tolerance for T dropping behind my leg at all, and using the whip more behind my leg instead of farther back. Canter was just all about bending. She felt that since the walk is not lateral, her canter will become pure once she is bending better on the circles. She did recommend putting her in a rubber bit, which I've ordered, as well as shoes - for traction, not for sore feet, as she suggested on Day 1. I've got notes from auditing that I'll put together and post in a separate thread. Overall, she has a really sharp eye, and doesn't go for any fancy exercises, just basics, bending, inside leg to outside rein, riding every step. I rode Annabelle when I got back, and I think she wondered why the rules had changed :lol: I'm looking forward to doing it again in six weeks!

Also, I think this is the first time I've taken her the same place on consecutive days, so I see now that I need to make the effort to haul across town and school at the grounds the day before shows, or just stable there. Helps much with her confidence and sucking back. I do have to say she was perfectly behaved hanging out in the main stables both days, so she's turning into a good traveler.

Tomorrow we have a mini jumping clinic at my barn with someone who was long-listed for the Canadian eventing team, and his wife who was doing 1.4m SJ back east. I'm going to ride Annabelle and see if I can get some advice on this whole "auto-changes" thing the hunters are always going on about.

Sunday will be lessons with my regular instructor.

Now I'm off to type up clinic notes!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:25 pm

SF it sounds like you had a very productive clinic. Thank you for sharing the notes.

I was very pleased with my two boys yesterday despite having some ponytude in the beginning. I showed Junior in third 3 and fourth 1. When I started to warm him up I felt that he was a bit lack luster, not under the weather, but more of a 'oh geesh here we go again and I'm just not feeling it.' I will admit my frustration was building but I guess it worked out because during that test despite having a few ugly mistakes I ended up with a 63 and change because my lateral work was pretty decent in both the trot and the canter. This despite the fact that I was the second ride of the day and it was during MY ride that they finally got the sound system blaring which was practically sitting on top of the dressage arena - Junior didn't skip a beat with all the screeching and very loud stream of apologies as I was heading around for my entrance. Then they turned on the lights (covered arena) with popping, buzzing et al. Again Junior didn't bat an eye. Once I was in the arena, the gal who was just before me decided to completely undo her saddle before leading her horse back to his stall and the saddle fell off with a crash spooking another horse who was waiting to go next......Junior? he didn't even notice as we were doing our extended walk. So I guess that's the bright side of having a politely resistant pony. I had an hour before our next test so I planned my very brief warm up with tons of transitions that demanded gallop instead of canter. It seemed to work because we earned a 63 and change for that test too. Most of my higher marks came in the medium gaits and lateral work. My flying changes were what I was hoping for but my daughter stated that you could easily see the improvement in his understanding of the mechanics. I'm sure I was bracing my back while I was trying to drive him forward so I'll have to keep working on that aspect of it. I got 4.5s for the flying changes in the first test and 5.5s for my changes in the second test so I'll take it especially since I was expecting the politely resistant pony to put forth the effort to pull off a 3-3 test and 4-1 test within an hour of each other.

4-1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNZb1LrTvQ

Brandon did very well for his first test, Training 3 earning us a 69. He still needs more balance and better connection but he kept mostly relaxed and rolled through the test without spooking at anything including all the people sitting in the bleachers hanging their feet through the bars. I rode my second test with only one ride in between my two tests. Usually Brandon does better for his second test but he was tired (and so was I) and broke in the canter a couple of times, lowering my score to a 66% at first 3, still a better score than previously but not as good as he can do. The judge stated, "He's like my horse Con. He's either really on or he's not." I agreed that Brandon is my more emotional of the two boys; but, emphasized that Brandon could have been a bit more flamboyant about it and thankfully he wasn't. At 60, I will say that I have no idea how I rode so many tests in the past and kept it together. I'm proud in that 1st 3 has been a bear for me to remember but I was able to ride all 4 tests without going off course and without a reader. I'm not so proud of the fact that my 60 year old body was too tired to give my horses better rides in each of their last tests (evident by my elbows becoming more chicken wings). At least I have things better planned out for the championships.

Training -3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYQpR-z9Lw

khall

Postby khall » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:42 pm

SF sounds like a good clinic! Looking forward to your notes from your next clinic.

Exvet congratulations! Nice scores:). I know you are proud of both your boys

Joplin and I had a great outing yesterday too at the schooling show. Our first foray into 2 nd and got a 62 and change in the rain. Joplin much like Junior is completely unfazed by the show atmosphere whether it’s the horse rearing or the horse running sideways in the warmup. Or the umbrellas (I realized she’s probably never seen an umbrella before) or the rain which historically she detests. In fact the first time she got rained on as a foal she was so ticked off she wouldn’t let me catch her. I’ve ridden her in spitting rain well this was a bit more lol! She went in and did her job. Felt good in the warmup but got a bit do we have to canter in the arena more on the R. If we had a bit of vroom from the show atmosphere she would be perfect it’s all there. Unfortunately she’s just more laid back which is very safe!! Unlike the red beast. I do not memorize tests like Exvet! Wow kudos to remember and ride 4. I would get confused for sure. I mostly know them but have a caller as back up.

No video in the rain. But I just have to brag. We got there 1 1/2 hours before our ride. I pulled her out set her up in the stall she went to eating like it was her stall. Then the rain started hard and just poured so I could not take her out for a walk of the show grounds. I just saddled her and when the rain let up headed to the warmup no prep no nothing and she just said yep I’ll go to work. Not even an ear flick at the other horses or the people hanging off the rails with their umbrellas. Ah to have such a stable minded horse!!

Next up is the Cedar clinic in less than 2 weeks. Chock full. Then schooling show October WE clinic November and Cedar back in December probably if we can find a date.

My next biggest news is I’m seeing a nutritionist to help shed these lbs. I need to lose about 40 if I can if not more. Trying to avoid major pelvic floor surgery this winter.

Enjoy the better weather all and happy riding!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:49 pm

Well done SF! Clinics can be so hard with our expectation to show off our best isn't always the way it goes. Been there done that and got the sticker. Sounds like you got a lot out of it, thanks for the notes.

Love the videos Exvet. Succeeding in difficult environments is definitely a plus. A well rounded horse that trusts it's rider to me is what dressage is all about.

I had a little break from work to capitalize on some daily lessons with trainer and circled back yesterday for a lesson. In our intensive we took the next step to throughness by riding the neck down with the shoulders up after the last year of getting both shoulders and neck up. It was super interesting as we had to ride the trot a little underpowered but wow the different just the canter was, mwah. We are working that underpowered trot until she can sustain the balance and build the power back in. The difference it's making is amazing. Yesterday we just tweaked things and had such a blast, half pass in both trot and canter, big walk piros to get the shoulders turning and then ended with the harder right flying change clean on the first ask. I was beaming from ear to ear like a cheshire cat.

Bring it on winter, we've got grit and determination. But first hack today in the sunshine.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:33 am

Exvet, you and I are in similar places with our horses. From 4.2 to PSG the big step to is in the canter work. So we get to really develop the confidence in canter from here forward.

And of course in bringing the greenerb horse along too.

Your boys look good. So much progress.

I'm hoping I can get such relaxed canter from Flei and Honey as you have on Brandon for next show season.

Khall, nice score for second level. Also nice that Joplin is so cool and calm in adverse conditions. Good luck with the weight loss. For me it takes quite a lot of work, for a sustained time, to change the habits that made me gain the weight. But like dressage a stepwise progress with real changes in habits results in long term change.

Tanga, how did it go?

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:36 am

exvet wrote:SF it sounds like you had a very productive clinic. Thank you for sharing the notes.

I was very pleased with my two boys yesterday despite having some ponytude in the beginning. I showed Junior in third 3 and fourth 1. When I started to warm him up I felt that he was a bit lack luster, not under the weather, but more of a 'oh geesh here we go again and I'm just not feeling it.' I will admit my frustration was building but I guess it worked out because during that test despite having a few ugly mistakes I ended up with a 63 and change because my lateral work was pretty decent in both the trot and the canter. This despite the fact that I was the second ride of the day and it was during MY ride that they finally got the sound system blaring which was practically sitting on top of the dressage arena - Junior didn't skip a beat with all the screeching and very loud stream of apologies as I was heading around for my entrance. Then they turned on the lights (covered arena) with popping, buzzing et al. Again Junior didn't bat an eye. Once I was in the arena, the gal who was just before me decided to completely undo her saddle before leading her horse back to his stall and the saddle fell off with a crash spooking another horse who was waiting to go next......Junior? he didn't even notice as we were doing our extended walk. So I guess that's the bright side of having a politely resistant pony. I had an hour before our next test so I planned my very brief warm up with tons of transitions that demanded gallop instead of canter. It seemed to work because we earned a 63 and change for that test too. Most of my higher marks came in the medium gaits and lateral work. My flying changes were what I was hoping for but my daughter stated that you could easily see the improvement in his understanding of the mechanics. I'm sure I was bracing my back while I was trying to drive him forward so I'll have to keep working on that aspect of it. I got 4.5s for the flying changes in the first test and 5.5s for my changes in the second test so I'll take it especially since I was expecting the politely resistant pony to put forth the effort to pull off a 3-3 test and 4-1 test within an hour of each other.

4-1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNZb1LrTvQ

A very neat test with Junior, thanks for posting! Is that cicada noise in the background?
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:22 pm

Yes, mari we have a plethora of cicadas. For the horses and I, it's just 'white' noise.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:49 pm

It's been a busy weekend for everyone! ExVet, thanks for sharing your videos again - it's always fun to follow the progression as they become big boys.

Khall, congrats on getting Joplin out at second level!

I loved my lesson on Annabelle with the eventing trainer on Saturday. I told him I wanted to make A an easy 2'6" hunter, so he gave me some tips on that, including working towards hunter changes with a jump and pole combo. He also knew how to talk to me as a dressage rider, and was all about the lines, strides and rhythm, not just hoisting the jumps up. I'm hoping they'll come down once a month or so going forward (they're about an hour away and I don't know if they have a facility for hauling in yet). https://youtu.be/_iQn_nbEwcw

Yesterday I rode both girls with my regular instructor. T started out with a good motor, and we decided that it would be OK to open a can of worms in the form of halting forward into the hand, then doing a 1/4 TOF and trotting off with some bend in the body. Yes, she had a little tantrum and started spinning on her forehand at one point, but did get over it and at the end I really felt her give to my leg through her entire body. She felt that if I can get her more compliant in that exercise, I'll have better half halts to improve the canter. In the canter, T was throwing me off her OH, and then swapping leads, which she felt was more of an evasion at this point than her physically not being able to hold the canter in back, so I've got to just sit in a little more and work the bend and ride a smaller circle to start sitting the hind legs more into the ground. Also lots of transitions into canter for just a few strides and then back out. I can't remember if I put it in my clinic notes, but Leslie used sliding a bit to the outside and using a bit of outside rein for the C/T transition, and it has been working really well with T to get a smooth, non-flailing down transition.

With A again, it was about making her an easier horse for another rider, so doing T/H/ transitions to get her a little lighter in the bridle, and squares with 1/4 TOH to trot and then canter to free up the shoulders and get a little more lift into the canter.

She's coming back next weekend, so my little mini bootcamp will continue. She and the eventing trainer both have friends coming to town for the H/J show next week that may be interested in A, and her jump rider is also back in town to show her to buyers, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

On the topic of older horses, last time I went out to take care of Obie, I noticed that his left eye was a bit weepy, and the place where he had an incision for his sinus surgery 8 years ago was suddenly kind of crusty, whereas the scar has almost always been invisible save a couple white hairs. So I am wondering if he is growing another sinus cyst. Keeping an eye on it and seeing if it clears after the flies die in the next month or two.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pm

SF- Thank you for sharing about the clinic. I haven't read the other thread with the full notes but I'm definitely going to do that next. I'm glad T came around for the second day of the clinic.The jumping clinic sounds like it was really productive for Annabelle too!

Exvet, I have to say I always enjoy reading your write-ups as you have a way with words and make us feel like we are riding along with you! Wonderful job on both Junior and Brandon. And I will say if I can ride as well at 60 (or even now honestly )I will be a happy camper!

Khall- awesome that you got Joplin out at second level with good scores!! Even in the rain. Bravo!

Kyra's mom- they've done a few working equitation things that are barn, mostly last year. I thought it was a really fun to play around with and watch too. The horses enjoy it.

I was able to hop on Lynx again on Saturday. I got to ride with my daughter which is fun. She told me she thought Lynx enjoyed it. She's only 11 so I asked her what made her think that. She said that he was just really stretched out and relax looking at the walk. And then at the trot he started to stretch down but had his ears nice and forward and just looked happy. That's about all we're did mostly walk in a tiny bit of trot. The vet comes next week so we'll see about what's happening there. He feels pretty good although his stifle did slip once. But not too panicked about it since he hasn't been in full work in a long time! I'm happy to report that even though I have not ridden in 7 months (!!) I don't feel too unnatural up there. Whew.

My daughter did a show the other weekend and did her very first dressage test. It was very cute I'll have to post a video.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:18 pm

https://youtu.be/sui7zri6-Ek?si=MGqW-KyOH7KaO-Pa her poor horse tripped right before and you could see it stung a little. My dad had been watching a few tests beforehand and said just about every horse had tripped right there so there must have been a hole or something.
Here's her first little dressage test. She does not take dressage lessons. She does group lessons that aren't super disciplined specific. And her lease horse in his heyday was solidly hunter jumper. She had only ridden a dressage test a handful of times And as you can see she definitely needs to keep working on her geometry! But it's hard because at the barn the dressage ring was set to a full court and of course the intro test are short court.

Still she got a couple sevens and mostly sixes. I'm not sure if dressage is really going to be her thing but of course it's good to work on for everybody.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:20 pm

Chisamba wrote:Tanga, how did it go?

Packing now. Leave Weds. First rides Thursday. I will post what I can. I assume the insane expensive motel have really good wifi.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:40 pm

Tanga wrote:
Chisamba wrote:Tanga, how did it go?

Packing now. Leave Weds. First rides Thursday. I will post what I can. I assume the insane expensive motel have really good wifi.

It has good wifi! It is such a great hotel. I always think I should save money and stay 25 mins away at a place half the price but it really it a beautiful place to stay.

I am still having mixed feelings about going! I got new boots in a few weeks ago and I was trying to break them in, but I was having trouble getting him ahead of my leg so I switched back to my old boots and I'm back to being more effective. I'm so anxious about riding without my whip - I practiced at a show in June not having my whip and it went ok, but I think the recent experience with my new boots has me feeling extra sensitive - we've been practicing having my trainer take it away for the last 10 minutes of each ride. My guy has flat gaits and getting him more active and engaged is something the whip really helps with. I just need to keep reminding myself this is for fun and to be social and enjoy my horse buddy! I would really love to finish in the top 10 in one of my classes, there are 13 riders in each class so it's not totally out of the question lol but we'll see. On a really good day we can get a 65-66%....

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 pm

Ok both of you, go slay the dragon!!!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:21 pm

Goodluck Tanga and Zevida!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:07 am

Good luck Tanga and Zevida!

LSP - my daughter did her first dressage test on a very happy to be a baby sitter Arab who was NOT into dressage. Her score was, ahem, 49 (just picture head and tail in the air, the antithesis of dressage right?). She shed a tear or two and I figured she would likely switch to another discipline. Many years later she's riding and working a gal's Dutch warmbloods with the hopes of getting them show worthy. So far so good is what I hear. Lauren is now 30 and dressage is still her first love with jumping being a close second. You just never know what they'll acclimate or gravitate towards. Still I think the best thing for every kid interested in riding to try out most of the disciplines. Well rounded riders and well rounded horses usually have endless options ;)

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:08 am

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:https://youtu.be/sui7zri6-Ek?si=MGqW-KyOH7KaO-Pa her poor horse tripped right before and you could see it stung a little. My dad had been watching a few tests beforehand and said just about every horse had tripped right there so there must have been a hole or something.
Here's her first little dressage test. She does not take dressage lessons. She does group lessons that aren't super disciplined specific. And her lease horse in his heyday was solidly hunter jumper. She had only ridden a dressage test a handful of times And as you can see she definitely needs to keep working on her geometry! But it's hard because at the barn the dressage ring was set to a full court and of course the intro test are short court.

Still she got a couple sevens and mostly sixes. I'm not sure if dressage is really going to be her thing but of course it's good to work on for everybody.

So cute! Thanks for sharing. I hope she had fun.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:45 am

[/quote]

It has good wifi! It is such a great hotel. I always think I should save money and stay 25 mins away at a place half the price but it really it a beautiful place to stay.

I am still having mixed feelings about going! I got new boots in a few weeks ago and I was trying to break them in, but I was having trouble getting him ahead of my leg so I switched back to my old boots and I'm back to being more effective. I'm so anxious about riding without my whip - I practiced at a show in June not having my whip and it went ok, but I think the recent experience with my new boots has me feeling extra sensitive - we've been practicing having my trainer take it away for the last 10 minutes of each ride. My guy has flat gaits and getting him more active and engaged is something the whip really helps with. I just need to keep reminding myself this is for fun and to be social and enjoy my horse buddy! I would really love to finish in the top 10 in one of my classes, there are 13 riders in each class so it's not totally out of the question lol but we'll see. On a really good day we can get a 65-66%....[/quote]

Cool. I always stay 25 minutes away because it's WAY expensive. If you know anyone that needs a bed, the people that were going to come with me can't, so I have another queen bed. I'd be glad to share expenses! I can't share the room with the friend I'm sharing a tack stall with because she is a bad snorer.

Do NOT do new things at the champs, esp! I learned that the hard way. I don't normally use a whip and just have been riding with one so Quilla learns not to be an ass about it. I've been REALLY working on a go button, so I leg, make a little sound and we ZOOM in extended canter, trot, whatever, and come back. That's mostly what I've been preparing with. And, just have fun. That's the best way to get in the top 10, and if you don't, I'll give you a hat. I have 4/5 CDS classes and none with more than 10, so I'll have extra!

We're in barn 9 right behind the office facing ring 3, the restrooms, and wash rack, , so stop by on your many walks too and fro! I love the race barn where you are, but I was hiking all over when I was in there. We'll be the raggedy bunch--none of that fancy stuff for us!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:39 am

exvet wrote:Yes, mari we have a plethora of cicadas. For the horses and I, it's just 'white' noise.

We don't have them here (afaik), and it was super noticeable to me. So cool :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:15 pm

Good luck Tanga and Zevida, can't wait to hear all about it!

I had lovely rides on both girls last night. Tesla got her first sarcoid vaccine shot yesterday, so I kept it light, but I don't think I've ever felt her so pliable and happy to work. Between the clinic and follow up lesson, I think we may have broken through another barrier.

Annabelle is getting a jump school this morning but sadly work is interfering and I can't go watch.
Keep calm and canter on.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:20 pm

Of course the day we are all leaving for the show the smoke rolls in! From fires in Oregon and Northern California. It is supposed to clear out by tomorrow and I don’t have my first class until Friday so hopefully it works out. One of my barnmates is now thinking of scratching. I was already in the road with my horse and trailer when they decided not to come up until tomorrow as they wouldn’t school today. I’d only planned to hand walk today anyway so I can manage on my own for a day. (I’m spoiled having a trainer and groom but I’m perfectly capable and happy to do it all myself.)

khall

Postby khall » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:23 pm

Good luck zevida and tanga!! Jingles the smoke clears out!!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:15 am

OMG. OMG.OMG. Left right on time for the championships, everything perfect. Stopped off at the feed store 20 minutes from Murietta to get shavings at 1. My truck wouldn't start. Tried jumps from 3-4 different people. Nothing. Triple AA comes with a battery because I called my mechanic and he said it had be the battery. New battery didn't work. Losing charge on my phone, letting my friends know they'll get there first. Call my mechanic, says it must be the starter. The kid there says he loves my old '78 Chevy and he can replace starter. Try calling for a mobile mechanic to get a replace starter. No one will come. WONDERFUL man at Sheldon feed says he'll go into town to get the starter and let the kid check out of work early and put it in. Texting my friend about maybe/maybe not coming with their truck to pick me up since they're all unpacked. Getting later. Finally say she should come with her truck just in case. Wonderful man comes back with starter and wonderful kid and I get under the truck and replace it, which is dirty and annoying, but not that hard. My friend arrives. Get it in. Truck will not start. Try to jump it. Truck will not start. Battery is dead. I was so frazzled, I didn't make sure to watch the AAA guy check to see if it worked or get the new battery. WONDERFUL man says leave truck here, and if I can get a ride back there tomorrow after my TWO rides before 9:30, I can call him and he will drive over and pick me up, we will get a battery and get it in the truck. I ask if I ca hug him, and he says hell yes. I do. We unhooked the trailer (horses in because I have the hay and shavings I just bought behind them) push the truck out of the way, hook my friend's truck up, move stuff from my truck to hers, and leave about 6 with my truck locked in their yard. My friend's daughter got my show numbers and hopefully someone will be there at 7 tomorrow because I am the firs ride of the day, I think. Horses are SO happy to get out of the trailer after sitting in it for 7 hours, mostly not moving, but they were so great and napped. Unpacked them, got set up, dark. No time or energy to ride and show them anything, and they're not supposed to officially leave their stall until they get check for VS. So, no warm up for the show.

SO glad I splurged on the inn right at MEC. Friend's client needed a place to sleep, I have an extra bed, so she can stay in the other bed here, and she has a car, so maybe she can help me get my truck and do some videoing for me. My friend also has a little scooter she rides that I can use to go back and forth instead of walking 10 minutes.

Whatever. I didn't ride yesterday but bathed and cleaned them all up. It'll be great. We'll just do an I-2 test first thing with Quilla, then an hour and 10 minutes later I'll ride do the CDS PSG ride with Quinn, and braid her between them. It'll all be great. Then I'll get to my truck, and hopefully a new battery will fix it. (If not, wonderkid probably can put an alternator in. Yes, I paid him.) When this go like this, I am SO endorphined out that it's going to be relaxing and wonderful and the girls will be great.

Zevida the smoke is a lot better here than on the coast and is supposed to clear up tomorrow sometime. Come on and show! Lots of scratches. At some point, I will hopefully be back with my truck, and will will be having fun in barn 9. My friend brought lots of wine!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:12 am

Oh gosh that would be stressful! Love how people help out to make it work.
It’s funny I forget you call utes trucks. I was imagining you had a big horse truck and would have had to unload the horses etc.
Hope you can have good rides :)

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:33 am

Heck Tanga, what an epic!! Good luck with your rides, and your truck! I will be checking in to see your next update :-)

Meanwhile, as always, very much enjoying everyone's progress.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:29 pm

Good luck on your rides Tanga and Zevida! I'll look out for the show report:)

Well Lynx was diagnosed with Kissing spine yesterday. Just one vertebrae area is effective while though there is another one that's close. I have been wondering about something like that for a while. It all makes so much sense now. The spooking, the dullness/shuffling gaits, the stiffness to the right. At one point he was starting to struggle with poles which seemed really weird. I will say that he was never bad by any means. Always had a good attitude. He always seemed like he was trying. I'm glad that he's had this year mostly off although I'm not sure the loss of muscle is the greatest either.

My vet is pretty optimistic that back injections and a more concentrated rehab are going to make a world of difference. But I have a plan and I know there are a lot of things to try and do.

We will see what happens. It's not good news but I'm not surprised at all. And I've had a lot more devastated news given to me before so maybe I'm getting a little numb. We will continue on with rehab and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm

Tanga, I would have been so stressed out. Glad you were able to have some help and it wasn't too hot for your horses in the trailer. Good luck today!

LSP, sorry to hear about the KS, but yes, hopefully that gives you a solid rehab plan and it is a good sign that Lynx hasn't shown any really reactive behavior.

Just got this bit: Bombers Preferred Contact Moulded loose ring since Leslie recommended trying T in a rubber bit. It flexes over the tongue and the middle part is flattened. First ride last night she seemed to take up contact more easily, and we had a nice ride. We did a couple long leg yields in which her body felt much more loose and rubbery, so maybe less tension in the mouth flowed all through the body? I'd also done a taping on her shoulders and hindquarters. Whatever it is, I hope to get more of it! Need to look into whether this bit is legal, but I'm guessing it's not.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:19 pm

oh gosh, Tanga, what a mess. Glad you found some wonderful people and had friends to help make a horrible situation slightly less impossible.

Good luck tomorrow!

I am feeling tons of FOMO. This is the first time in several years I'm not going to regionals. I'm qualified, but RP and I haven't been to a show since Dec and with regionals being down in Ocala this year, it did not seem worth the haul given the year we've had. Next year.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:33 pm

Holy truck failure! Riding down centerline will feel like a relief Tanga! Good luck to you both Zevida and Tanga.

SF, that's an interesting bit. I have a feeling the ridges will make it illegal but it doesn't hurt to send to the committee and see what they say.

I've had Kora previously in a HS Duo until during our saddle fitting appointment while waiting she chomped it to sharp plastic edges and I had to toss yet another one. I swapped her to a Winderen that claims it is 'chew-proof' and so far that has been true. I think she actually likes it slightly better than the Duo as well and it is USDF legal.

https://www.winderen.com/en/shop_item/1096/winderen-bit-loose-ring-flexi-mullen-mouth-125.html

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:50 pm

Interesting discussion on bits. I still don't think I have Brandon sorted out yet in regards to his preferences so I'll be following closely both in regards to what USDF/USEF considers legal and how well and for how long your horses accept these bits. I find that Brandon either hates or accepts the bit but it's always a short honeymoon before he starts getting mouthier.

Tanga, I've had a reputation of tire blow outs on the way to out-of-town shows. Sometimes it was my truck and other times the trailer. Always harrowing, white knuckle times. I will say that for me such trials and tribulations always wore me out but in the end made me stronger.......and I usually did reasonably well at those shows. Again good luck to both you and Zevida and I have a sneaking suspicion that things will only get better.

LSP, I'm glad you at least got a diagnosis. While it may not be what you wished for it does give some relief to know you have a plan and a direction to go instead of bumbling around in the dark which I find so many lameness work ups seem to go.

Well first week back in the Valley and the weather is turning for the better thank goodness. I was really worried that the horses might not handle the transition back all too well. I had a lesson with Molly on Junior this morning and she confirmed that he's a lot fitter. She also agrees that his canter quality has improved a lot but it's still no where near enough for good flying changes. He is such a pony committed to staying behind my leg. The focus during the lesson was half-passes and how to get that "8" Junior is capable of but often just misses getting. In other words the plan for the regionals is to perfect everything that Junior can do well. Molly had me over bending him through the corners of the arenas before starting my half-pass in order to get and keep him supple and round. I was then to ask for more forward and if he struggled go to haunches in on the straight away really demanding forward (medium), then half pass with bend, wash, rinse and repeat. Once I reached the end of the movement (letter to letter) I was to ask for the transition downward by pushing his haunches out as opposed to using half-halts, seat or anything that might suggest he was to back off my hand. I repeated this in trot and canter multiple times. Next we went to the set ups of the flying change and for the next week I'm not to do any flying changes - just really move his shoulders while in canter and demanding that he stay round, through, and FORWARD. We'll see if I'm able to make any progress simply by doing these exercises. I have noticed that the half pass work, the canter pirouette work and canter haunches in have all helped to loosen his back and get more jump. I think we surprised Molly by being able to do most of the one hour lesson in canter. I'm going to have to body clip him which I'll do today or tomorrow. He's looking rather black which means his winter coat is in full swing. Thankfully my Morgan isn't as hairy as my British Aisle genetically based fuzz ball is. The joys of being back in the desert ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:37 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Holy truck failure! Riding down centerline will feel like a relief Tanga! Good luck to you both Zevida and Tanga.

SF, that's an interesting bit. I have a feeling the ridges will make it illegal but it doesn't hurt to send to the committee and see what they say.

I've had Kora previously in a HS Duo until during our saddle fitting appointment while waiting she chomped it to sharp plastic edges and I had to toss yet another one. I swapped her to a Winderen that claims it is 'chew-proof' and so far that has been true. I think she actually likes it slightly better than the Duo as well and it is USDF legal.

https://www.winderen.com/en/shop_item/1096/winderen-bit-loose-ring-flexi-mullen-mouth-125.html

Yep, I didn't really worry about legality because it will be at least 8 months until we make it to a recognized show, and she'll probably want me to spend money on something else by that point :lol: Good to know the Winderens are seemingly chew-proof and legal. It looks like one of their flexi models could work. She gets too stiff in mullen mouths, so I've been looking for that middle ground with some flex.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:26 pm

LSP which verterbrae are affected? Sorry to hear but good to have a plan to move on with and see how he goes.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:30 pm

For years and years and years I just stayed everything in a simple snaffle. Now there are a thousand options and I still haven't found a thing that seems to give the horses a comfotable tongue. Sheesh in Zambia tack was so hard to get that we just cobbled together this for the best fit we could. Now there are so many outings is harder than when we had no options.

Jmho.

Honey is interesting with the bit. She is either super soft and chewy, or she grabs the bit hardens her jaw and pulls dramatically. It's such a jekyll/,Hyde thing.

Kimba has always been complicated, when she feels best, she is actually carrying her mouth slightly open. Galop. Had these exercises she did in hand. Kimba didn't respond the way she was supposed to, so Galop tried harder and Kimba struck out with her fore leg, she obviously felt threatened. She had never ever ever even tried something like that with me. and the response was one I did not appreciate so that was a fail.

So I go back to just really attempting to train by feel . I want then to feel my rein comfortably and I want to be able to feel their jaw and neck and balance, which is near impossible if they are against the hand.

Maybe when I a hundred years old and too arthritic to get on a horse I will have learned all I need to know about the connection.
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:19 am

I'm back, and of course the woman sitting next to me on the plane on the way home hacked and snivelled her way across the Atlantic, so now I'm sick. Ugh. Should have worn a mask.

I did ride this morning and Potters was delightful. Hes had 3 weeks of stretching and gymnastic exercises which we continued with today. Its all about body building and posture for him for the next little bit.

I was fairly happy with myself as the closest I've been to a horse in the last 3 weeks was the end of a lead line with my granddaughter on a pony. (I have one pony girl, it would appear!!) However when I got off it hit me in a wave how utterly crappy I was feeling and it felt like a very long drive home.

I hope this is just a passing cold that isn't going to turn into pneumonia. I have a clinic with Mette in 3 weeks which I am looking forward to...

Good luck at Regionals, Tanga and Zevida! Tanga, I hope after all that drama that going down centerline is a piece of cake and that the truck turns out to be an easy fix.

Sorry about Lynx LSP. But at least now you know and can address the issue.

Sounds like everyone else is being busy and productive!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am

I know you're just dying to know the next episode of what happened next! Off we go.

About 4 am I was pretty sure I left my helmet in the truck, and since I have an insanely large, oval head, and was one of the first rides of the day, I started stressing about that. Got up at 6:15. Turns out, my friend has the same size head and I got some black gloves from someone! Quilla was pretty good in the I-2 warm up class DESPITE someone walking through end of the arena DURING my test (you can see it.) I was a little distracted and said out loud to the judge a horse was there. Quilla didn't care. I was pretty happy with the ride, despite doing a few extra ones. Oops. A %61.4 was plenty fair. (We got first, being the only ride.) I was wondering who the one person who watching me was, who looks a LOT like the friend who was supposed to come and help. She came by as I was between rides. It was Zevida!! I'll find you tomorrow.
https://youtu.be/lB7cDONnylI

Quinn was also very good and relaxed despite a little bobble in an extension. Luckily we didn't get 1st or 2nd so I could leave to check the truck, but I was surprised we got a %62.6 and ended up 4th not too far behind the lead in the CDS AA PSG--I get money for this! SUCH good girls.
https://youtu.be/gPCtYL_nXJQ.

My now roommate and I took off to Costco to get a new battery (further, but $100 versus $350 for the same battery at O'Reilly's!) Get back to Sheldon Feed and all my new best friends watch as I'm working and putting the battery in. Ugh. Can't get one of the screws to work. A customer comes and helps and we decide it's stripped. Off to Ace hardware a block away and get a bolt, then come back. Get the bolt on. It won't start! Ahhhhhhh!!!! I send my roommate back to the show and tell her I'll call her if I need a ride. I'm now trying to figure out if we can find a mechanic to get it towed to to fix it in a few days, because I can't even imagine what to do if it's not working on Sunday. My bestie says he's off to the bank and will make calls to see if he can find someone to fix it. Another worker there comes over and looks at it, and I say it can't be the alternator, can it? He says no. I explain the AAA guy caused a spark and a puff of smoke out of a wire and show him where. Could that be it? He says yes. He grabs a voltage checker and checks everything, all working fine, except not inside the car and at the wire. He keeps checking, and finds the wire is fried! He goes inside and gets a bit of 12 gauge wire, puts it on. It STARTS!!!!!!! Whoo HOO!!! He says the original wire is 24 gauge, so be careful. I go back to the hardware store and get 24 gauge wire (driving the truck!) Put new wire on. Running wonderfully! This guy won't take money, but I give him the little cash I ave and ask what can I sent the feed store for saving me THOUSANDS of dollars and immense pain. He says nothing, but maybe send a pizza from down the street. I'm going to put like $300 credit for that feed store to get pizza for a long time.

So, for $120 for a starter, I made the whiz kid take $100, $4 for a bolt and wire, and the $15 cash I had, it was all fixed. Truck is running like the champ she is. Horses are doing GREAT and I'm nothing but happy about everything. Judging seems very fair. I've got a freestyle for each horse and an I-2 test with Quilla tomorrow. Freestyles are fun. I'm just SO relieved.

Tomorrow we get to hear about Zevida's rides!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:41 am

Tanga wrote: DESPITE someone walking through end of the arena DURING my test (you can see it.) I was a little distracted and said out loud to the judge a horse was there. Quilla didn't care.

Holy WTF at the person hand walking THROUGH the arena!!! And I can't believe I missed that! I remember seeing someone handwalking outside and thinking even that was pretty ballsy to do that during the show, and it was probably this horse and I was concentrating so much on your ride I missed seeing her until she was outside. Where on earth was the ring steward?

I'm so glad you got the truck fixed - phew!

Today was just a schooling day for me and it went fine. My boy was so mellow on Wed before we left and after we arrived I was even a little concerned at how chill he was. He made up for it a bit today being a little looky and distracted. Although his level of lookiness is pretty small/minimal relative so it was all fine. I don't ride until almost the end of the day tomorrow.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 pm

thanks for the update, Tanga! Sounds like a successful and productive first day of riding. And glad you got your truck back in order!

Good luck, Zevida!

Sorry to hear about the KS, LSP. I will say that KS seems to be quite manageable for many horses with the right rehab/program. So, it's good to have a diagnosis that you can specifically address. I have a friend who's mare has KS and xrays are not pretty. However, with the right program and protocol the mare is successfully and happily eventing at prelim.

Re: bits: I've been riding a friend's sales horse some and we've been really going through it with bits for him. He has an unusually fleshy inside cheek and so many bits cause pinching. Thicker bits seem to cause less pinching but he is also a sensitive guy who really dislikes the feel of something thick in his mouth and his low palette makes it tricky. We have even tried him bitless in a dr. cook's and a hackmore and he dislikes either. So it's a tough spot because the bits he likes cause pinching and make little bloody spots on his cheeks and the bits/bridles that don't do that he hates.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 pm

That's an inauspicious beginning, Tanga! Fingers crossed it's only up from there. Good luck to you too, Zevida!

I'm so sorry, LSP. I hope it ends up being perfectly manageable.

I've got a new non-stinky helmet <3 And my coughing is down to anytime I breathe too heavily :roll: I did manage to ride Maia at something more than a lazy walk once before sticking my (not hacking up a lung thanks to lots of albuterol and cough suppressants) self on a plane on Saturday. We got home late Tuesday, and work has been full-out, but I'm going to try again today. The high course of prednisone and antibiotics I started last week seem to have taken the edge off the last dregs of crappy post-covid lungs, so fingers crossed we can actually do some work.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:40 pm

And it's Covid. I've avoided it until now.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:26 pm

Moutaineer wrote:And it's Covid. I've avoided it until now.

Well that is shitty, Moutaineer! Can you get Paxlovid? The pills were nasty, but they made my second bout far more tolerable.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:48 pm

DH just picked it up from the pharmacy for me. I'll start it this evening. What further joys should I expect?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Moutaineer wrote:DH just picked it up from the pharmacy for me. I'll start it this evening. What further joys should I expect?

If you don’t have any on hand, mucinex with or without a cough suppressant would be useful. The cough suppressant mainly so you can sleep a few hours. And cough drops/lozenges.

Even with a cough suppressant, I went through 1/2 of a costco-sized bag of cough drops in a week. But that may all have been my crappy asthmatic lungs not handling it at all even with the paxlovid. I’m still waking myself up coughing at night 4 weeks later. (Plus most of a new inhaler of albuterol)

Somehow J managed to stay un-infected this time through masking, distancing, and overuse of the whole house exhaust fan.
Last edited by heddylamar on Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:01 am

Moutaineer wrote:And it's Covid. I've avoided it until now.

Oh bummer hope you feel better!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:13 am

Successful first show day for me we got a 63% at 3-2 and finished 7 out of 11 which means we get a ribbon since they do ribbons to 8th. I’ll take it! And that means I’m well positioned to hopefully finish in the top 10 after Sunday’s 3-3 test I hope! But at least I’m coming home with one ribbon!

We also had two clean flying changes and got 7s on both which I’m really happy about. Our trot work I felt like I just couldn’t get him active and connected although we got our usual 5s-6s.

I have a lot more reps riding 3-3 so I’m glad to move onto that for the next two days.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:22 am

So sorry to hear Moutaineer, that just stinks.

Congratulations zevida and tanga what a great way to pull it off. Good luck to you both for the remainder of the show.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:04 am

Good job, zevida. I wanted to watch you, but our rides were in top of each other. I'll catch you Saturday and Sunday. A 63% is a good score. The scores have not been high, but mostly fair. The east coast judges are being far harder than the west coast ones. I watched the open and AAA GP, and it was a crapshow of horses doing all kinds of crap, and a lot got under 60%.

I did OK on Quilla at the I-2 first thing, then tripped and fell on my wrist and sprained it in a way that it hurts like an MFer if I use it at all, to the point it makes me nauseaus. Quinn was stargazing in her I-1 freestyle (first time in the big covered this time) and Quilla was quiet in her GP FS, to the point that the piaffes sucked and bad ones, but whatever. We showed up, so we got reserve champ. ribbons for both. Hoping I can sleep this off some, or going to have to use my friend's heavy duty drugs to get through this. Her miracle ldiocaine patch did not work.

Mountaineer--I hope you get through Covid OK! I ran into an old friend I used to compete freestyles against my Appy 30 years ago, and she was talking about how she was in a bad car accident and out of it for two years, and how she was looking for a GP horse to lease and ride, and so we talked about Quilla. Then she talked about how she got fired as a nurse (she was pretty heavy duty) because she refused to get vaccinated, then said she still isn't an has been taking ivermectin for years. OMG. I had to go.

Update: 5:30 on Saturday.
Still hurting and nauseaus. Came back to the hotel early, exhausted from pain, went to sleep at 9. My wrist really doesn't hurt as long as I don't move it. Bare swelling, but super tender in the carpal bones. The only bone I have ever broken is my right wrist, which I went around for a week and rode with before I went in. I'm pretty sure I have a broken wrist. My friends will take care of me.

I will ride hell or high water and get home. I already made a doctor's appt. for Monday. Sigh.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:35 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement. I actually know a few people who have kissing spine horses that they are managing quite well either through injections and physical therapy or the surgery. So there is hope. After just 2 days on Roboxin (and injections but I doubt those are coming into play yet) I noticed Lynx was WAY more peppy on the lead during our short hand walk. And for the first time in a long time I didn't see any toe drag behind. He has consistently had that But he was also so lazy It was hard to get real movement out of him beforehand. Another observation was he was absolutely filthy this morning. For like the last 6 months he has been so clean it's been kind of weird. There was signs that he was laying down a little bit but I wonder if he wasn't really getting a good roll in for a while.This makes me think it was all the back. Or mostly the back. I'm encouraged that we at least truly found the biggest issue.

Zevida, congratulations! I hope the rest of the show goes just as well.

Tanga, ouch. I sure hope you didn't break your wrist but it certainly sounds like it might be. That sounds painful and I know you are a tough cookie but try to be easy on yourself! Be safe. Hopefully you feel better today..

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Aww Tanga I’m so sorry about your wrist that really sucks!! Hope you are able to make it through and take care of yourself.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm

Damn, Tanga! Sending you healing vibes.

Well done Zevida. That is a very respectable score.

LSP, I'm always suprised by how quickly some joint injections work. Good deal that he had a good roll. Thats a very positive sign. I think you are going to be pleased with how well you can control this and how much he is going to be able to do.

I started Paxlovid last night. I have Terrible "paxlovid mouth." Urgh, the constant taste of what I can only describe as metallic vomit. But I dont hurt all over this morning and the cough seems a bit better.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:24 pm

I liked today's ride better but one of the two judges really did not so I ended up with a 62% and finished 11th out of 12 for the USDF regional class. I still have hope for a top 10 finish with tomorrow's ride - a new day! And, I was happy with my ride. The judge at B gave us a 60% for a horse who tries but has a total lack of engagement (not a totally direct quote but pretty darn close).

Tanga was very nice to come by my stabling and say hello before my ride. She had also taken some serious painkillers and was a little high :twisted: She said she's not usually so chatty and touchy. :lol:

Return to “Dressage Training”