Bringing Life to the DDBB

September October, we go on and on.

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:45 am

October, and the trees are stripped of all they wear,
What do I care
October, ......
And we go on and on

U2

Unlike most, I despair the end of summer, but I'm determined to appreciate the sun for as long as we have it.

Goals.

Maybe choose a stud for Kimba.

Saiph, button up the flying changes and work toward tempi.

Flei, establish leg yield, canter and get his feet healthy. He is still recovering from years of road shoes and diminished frogs with deep heels.

Honey, continue her recovery to remuscling and also get the lateral work started and progress her connection to more length in the neck to the bit.

Me continue the long slow journey to healthy weight. Maybe just dye the darn hair. I'm not a huge fan of my salt and pepper look.
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mari
Herd Member

Re: September Octiber, we go on and on.

Postby mari » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:10 am

We're heading into spring, yay no more freezing early morning rides!

My goal for the next few months is just MORE. More suppleness, more bend, more positioning, clearer transitions. So that when we compete and I can only find 70% of what we have at home, that is enough.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:37 pm

Ah Mari I have the same goals more or less...............it's endless.

The next two months are probably the nicest at both of my residences. I'll be moving the horses back down to the Valley in a couple of weeks. Prior to that I have one more schooling show up here, then we move back for two weeks of (re)acclimation to the hotter temps and then the regionals. My dear sweet daughter has taken the Friday of that weekend off of work to help me out, bless her. After the regionals we have the recognized show in the beginning of November. I will likely only take Brandon; but, that decision won't be made until I'm done with the regionals. Either way it will be more focus on fine tuning the basics. Brandon has been getting stronger and is ready for me stepping up the second level work so that is the tentative plan.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:46 pm

Tesla - we have a clinic with Leslie Morse in two weeks. Until then, I'm just kind of trying to smooth out the things that are working and not push the envelope to shutdown mode. Second clinic with Leslie is at the end of October, so we'll be doing whatever she says this period. Also, try to jump 1x per week and ride off property in addition to the clinics.

Annabelle - get her back on the market soon.
Keep her jumping up while Autumn is away in Montana.
Maybe play with some FC exercises.
Hopefully she'll become a schoolie for one student 2x a week. First lesson is today, so we'll see if it's a fit or not.

Me - keep up the fitness from DRT 3. Run at least 1x per week now that it's getting cooler.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:46 pm

Again no real goals beyond getting out to see the dear mare on a regular basis.

I like Mari’s goal and list of more.…I would include more fitness (for both of us but particularly me) and more trail riding. November will most likely be the slide of the weather into winter and with no indoor, I need to make the most of these next two months.

Susan

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:26 pm

Well I’m sitting in Seattle airport on my way home to Australia after a fabulous two weeks in your country!
The holiday was better than I expected in all honesty. I went with my partner for a week at the Rocking Z ranch, then 2 days at Glacier national park and then down to Yellowstone national park for 2.5 days.

It started a bit slow with our international flight cancelled from Aus, so an extra night in Melbourne, Australia and this made us miss the first day at the ranch. We got in at about 9pm instead of 11am but they still graciously picked us up from the airport.
We missed the orientation and matching with a horse and a groundwork session. We arrived in the dark so it was all a bit of a mystery where we were and we were a bit on the back foot that first day, although they did try and catch us up.

I had trawled through a lot of forums and reviews to choose a ranch, I really wanted one where they looked after their horses and it wasn’t all just nose to tail riding and of course some great scenery. I also wanted to try a western saddle.
This ranch did all that. Yes, the horses knew the trails but what I liked is they weren’t sour, you could walk into the corral of 50 or so horses and they would come up to you. None of them walked away when they saw a halter. They were steady as a herd, they weren’t angry with each other etc.
They followed parelli method and taught it to the guests who ranged from complete beginners (like my partner) to people who owned their own horses, like me.
Anna knew her horses inside out. Talked about rehabbing injuries, body work, shoeing and she gave lessons to guests who requested specific help. Also, she rested horses who needed it.
I had no idea how to cinch up a western saddle and they used a mecarte rein, which I had no idea about either but they were happy to teach and while they tended to saddle the horses while we had breakfast, we all learned to unsaddle/bridle/brush and turnout our horses.

They grouped us up but I stayed with a beginners group to ride with my partner and they gave riding instruction then said ‘try it’. People were loping (or trying to) by the second day! It was a bit hairy to watch but the horses were so solid and I loved that there is no babying. If people were worried, it was no problem either. The wranglers were so obliging and nice.
The main wrangler looking after us told me to go on one of the more advanced lunch rides and I’m so grateful she did. It was soo cool! It was essentially an all day ride, they saddled up the horses and squeezed 8 of them onto a big horse trailer, saddled up. We went about 10 miles from the ranch. Lots of ‘loping’ and a range of scenery. It was a highlight.

So the main things I found quite different in America to Australia:
You guys are really friendly and exceptionally polite. People just start talking to you, especially when they hear that we are on holiday and from Aus. In the national parks on the walks, nearly every American said hi/morning/smiled. It may be because everyone is on holiday where I went, and it would be similar in rural places in Aus too, but when I was in Europe on hols people were courteous, but not friendly.

The driving. Arghh driving on the right side of the road and from the left side of the car. That took getting used to. We had a hire car and did a LOT of miles but those first few times I drove, I felt almost panicky at times and I don’t think I’ve had to concentrate so hard in my life! Luckily in Montana here is lots of long, straight roads. I’m getting a better feel for miles and Fahrenheit too.
No road rage! Again, mostly very courteous, relaxed driving. Those all way stop intersections. Now I reckon if we had those in Aus there would be mid intersection brawls, car torchings and possibly knives pulled. I’ve realised just how road ragey we are!

Toilets. Ok so I’ll admit the first time I went to use one at the airport I thought it was blocked because it had so much water in it. By the third cubicle I looked into I realised it was normal. They are generally lower, with flatter u shaped seats and the suctiony way they flush had me fascinated to watch. Gross I know but well…. :D

Food is quite expensive here. We did a combo of our own lunches and snacks from a supermarket and eating out. I made sure I tried some good American wafffles, fried chicken and ribs. Biscuit and gravy for breaky was a new one for me!
Fuel is a bit cheaper but I didn’t quite get my head around gallons.

This is a bit long so I’ll leave it at this. The national parks were just beautiful. Both very different and hard to have a favourite. I took lots of pics of squirrels and chipmunks, they are soooo cute!
We were very lucky with the weather. It rained on the morning of the first day but it was warm so we dried out easily. It was beautiful and sunny the rest of the time.

Here’s some vid from GoPro footage. I had heaps but edited it down

https://youtu.be/wtQUFBlY2yk?si=1MmO-TlpnehIzBCO

IMG_0323.jpeg
IMG_0323.jpeg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 228113 times

IMG_0322.jpeg
IMG_0322.jpeg (26.3 KiB) Viewed 228113 times

IMG_0321.jpeg
IMG_0321.jpeg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 228113 times

khall

Postby khall » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm

Flight I’m glad you had such a great time! Sounds like a great experience on the ranch. Montana has some beautiful country. I’ve not been to Glacier yet but Yellowstone is incredible. Very busy but incredible. A friend did the snowmobile ride through the park one year. Got to see some fabulous wildlife. We saw a black wolf there HUGE!
Funny your driving experiences! We had similar driving on the moors in England. Left hand left side DH did a great job though even with all the roundabouts!

I have a friend out west right now (SW) doing a horse trip. It looks awesome! Bryce canyon etc. making me want to go.

Looking forward to some cooler weather here in the SE. have a Cedar clinic a schooling couple of schooling shows and trying for WE this fall.

As predicted I did not get too much done last round due to heat eye Covid etc but I have been working Joplin in hand asking for piaffe on the spot and piaffe trot short active trot in hand doing HI and HP in the draw. It’s helping. Rode her yesterday and getting piaffe on the spot and that short active trot US. Really helps with her contact issues. Fun ride. Looking forward to see how she handles the greater requirements US.

Jingles for some good weather for all and happy riding!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:50 am

We go on and on and on - just trying to get Junior to be honest in the connection of the right rein and allow the lift of the wither/over the back on that side. My self- proclaimed commitment is that from now on (focusing on the regionals and beyond) Junior will not be allowed to give any answer other than a canter depart (from walk, rein back, trot, from canter as in flying changes) that starts from behind and lifts through the wither, allows me to put my left leg on at the girth and get him to move into the right rein (with lifted wither of course)....................geesh this is going to kill both of us. I am happy to report that he does have a clean flying change going right to left but left to right???????

Now Brandon my special not so little princess, was pretty good for Brandon. I took him down to the recognized western dressage show just to hang out and work on relaxation. He did great walking down there (I rode him from the house) despite all the distractions. Once we entered 'the grounds' he passed by food trucks, vendors, music blaring, etc like a champ....until....he saw the biggest, ugliest horse grabber in the world, an UMBRELLA!!!!!!! We had quite a bit of rain today; so, it was perfectly reasonable to have one. Brandon took one look at it and leapt to his left (away from the monster) but before landing saw he was jumping into a huge puddle and shifted his weight mid air to land to the right of the puddle. He then realized the umbrella was not going to kill him but I realized in that moment that I have what I think will likely be a flying changes machine <big grin>.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:23 am

Flight that sounds so amazing! If I'm ever lucky enough to visit the US, the national parks will make up my entire trip.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:30 pm

That looks like it was so much fun, Flight! I found myself watching the white ears — so focused on galloping! Driving on the other side of the road is always entertaining.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:40 pm

Flight, glad you had such a fabulous time! The drivers get more ragey when you get to more urban areas, I promise.

Exvet, it is funny what sets them off sometimes, isn't it? Awhile ago I rode T down the canal bank, past the water rushing over the weir, geese, etc. Then when we got back to the barn she got all wide-eyed and snorty over a couple of moldy hay bales sitting next to the manure pile :lol:

I had a fabulous ride on T yesterday. Set up the ~10 m square of poles and first discovered that we couldn't walk a proper volte to the right inside, so we worked on that, and improved up to going around outside in working trot, then inside in collected trot. It's huge that she will cooperate with me on these types of exercises, which was not the case six months ago. I did a short Ride iQ lesson with Lauren Spreiser "Driving into the bit" where she describes pulling the hamstrings down and the quads up, which of course is impossible, but it really engaged my core in a way that energized T. We often got an up transition rather than the more active collecting Lauren was creating on the GP horse in her lesson, but then in canter we really got some collection just off the seat without T panicking or shutting down. She really is starting to have a whole different canter - I don't know if it's better, but at least it's different :lol: Then we played a bit with a FC prep exercise - LY out and HI across the centerline, then canter in the new direction. T thought this was very exciting, so we will need to bring it back to trot and get her waiting for me today.

Annabelle did well her first day as a schoolie. I didn't watch the full lesson, but when they first started trotting she seemed worried, but then realized it was OK to just toodle along in an easy trot with her nose out, and seemed quite content. The instructor was starting to introduce LY when I had to leave. The student is a super fit athlete with really good posture and body awareness, so I think they could make pretty good progress. She is going to ride again next Thursday.

I just bought a used SoloShot off someone on FB - hopefully it will arrive this week and fingers crossed it lasts for awhile. It was cheaper than getting my current one fixed, and sounds like it has way fewer hours of use. Looking forward to getting regular video again.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:16 pm

Chisamba, I'm definitely celebrating the end of summer. If that ever happens; we're still looking ahead to at least 10 more days of 100+F temperatures. The trees are dropping leaves, but only because they're so heat-stressed and water-deprived that they're starting to go into shock. The grass crunches underfoot. But it rained today for the first time since mid-July, so there's hope on the horizon. And boy oh boy does your last goal resonate with me (especially in this heat).

Flight - beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a ball. What a lovely vacation!

Here's what we're aiming for in September and October:
- Western Dressage World Show at the end of September: I want to break 70% at Level 3 and Level 4. This is a tall order, but we're right on the cusp (scores to 68+ at both levels this year). Just need to clean up a couple weak spots, and we're in the hunt.
- Resume lunch break walks (weather permitting) or replace with lunch break stationary biking
- School breathing aids: sustained exhale for mediums/extensions, inhale/"sips" for collection.

And probably I should also clean some tack...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:29 pm

I'm not setting goals til I get back home and back in the
saddle and know what I'm dealing with.

However, as a champion breath-holder, I'm intrigued, Ponichiwa, and would love a bit more detail!

exvet

Re: September October, we go on and on.

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:29 pm

I woke up to 49 degrees! This morning's weather was absolutely gorgeous. I decided to review some video by JJ Tate on improving the canter and more importantly working through and developing the canter half pass in order to really supple the horse, improve the jump in the canter and quickness of the hind legs, etc. before setting a foot in the stirrup. I committed (thank you ponichiwa) to focus on my breathing especially breathing into my lower back but as importantly remembering to exhale so that I didn't get tight. I also worked really hard on first developing the haunches in at the canter both directions, then progressing to canter half pass but making sure that I counted the canter stride and time my requests for Junior to move laterally with the appropriate foot falls. We had much smoother, more relaxed canter half passes once I was able to show Junior that I wanted him to jump sideways and kept myself from holding or blocking him in doing so. It was definitely one of our better rides. I wasn't going to school any flying changes but Junior was demonstrating more consistent jump in the canter stride and staying relaxed that I decided to sneak one in each direction (I didn't want him to tense up/or me with the anticipation). I am beaming from ear to ear because we got a true and clean flying change in both directions in succession. Of course the cooler weather helped me maintain the forward ;) Now the onus is certainly on me to help Junior continue on this path.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:04 pm

It took me a little bit to mull over my goals. I’m both excited and not really sure what the word is for it for the next 6-8 months. It will be training heavy and some ‘big’ new things being introduced. My last lesson highlighted that we have pendulum swung over too much straightness and not even bend. Our homework is not to drop the straightness but use and incorporate bend for our benefit.

Section Goals:
Flying Change Hell; 1-2 rides a week work on changes
Trot with shoulders up, neck down - throughness
Half steps introduction
Enjoy the cut field and fall hacking

Keep on tread mill 2-3 times a week for me

blob

Postby blob » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:05 pm

I've been reading and following but not posting much lately--work, travel, etc. But hoping for some good fall riding:

Me:
Continue to try to cook/eat leftovers as much as possible
Find healthy ways to balance work/riding/life

MM:
Continue to enjoy her by doing different/fun things
Keep her in shape/maybe even lean down some to help with breathing

RP:
Continue to build strength
Continue chiro/acu for SI
Re-evaluate at end of bi-mester whether we've had improvement

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 pm

Ahhh!! Two weeks to champs. I think it will be OK. Since this might be it for me, I splurged and spent too much money and a year of calling getting a room at the hotel right there. (It's a 25 minute drive for most hotels.) I'm really happy with both girls. I think Quinn is consistently scoring in the high end, and none of the judges they have are setting off alarm bells, so we might do well. Since USDF has an AA GP freestyle, Quilla might do well, and I think she'll do great at the I-2. And so far, the weather has been much cooler than normal. For the show, it looks like it will stay under 90, which is really, really, really, really nice. (Last two times I think it was close to 100 the whole time, and smokey.)

Ya'll might be interested in this. I am sharing a tack stall with a friend's daughter who is showing 4th. She's having trouble with her changes and pirouettes, so I invited her down for some free help on those. I didn't get a lot of video (her mom didn't) but it was really interesting. I am convinced even more too many instructors are spending time telling them what to do with the horse, but not their body to correct it. (She clinics with Nick Wagman.) Once I could get her to feel and relax her hips and straighten her body, it was pretty cool. https://studio.youtube.com/video/pS1NjZ3od-0/edit https://studio.youtube.com/video/i1vuo1y0HX8/edit

And if anyone is in the Sacramento area on the 21st to the 24th and want to come watch some rides and say high, let me know. My times should be on Fox Village, but I can send them to you, and I can let you know where we're stabling.

I've been REALLY stressing about my older mare, now 25. It was a rough winter and she got really thin, but then seemed to seemed getting better, but then choked, but came out of it OK, but still wasn't putting on weight fast enough. I finally found someone I trust to do her teeth. I knew she had a tooth pulled last year, but I wasn't told there was basically no chewable surface on that side. The other side was a pointy mess. And she has some kind of thing going on with her incisors where they develop boney growth at the base of the teeth. But, she got some surface on the right side. The vet who tranqued was someone I know from way back, really stressed me out about her needing to be on an all pellet diet, which is insanely expensive and impossible where I am. So I upped what I have already been doing, which is sweeping up the alfalfa "dust" from the hay barn to feed her, and really upping the soaked alfalfa pellets, rice bran pellets, and soybean oil. Its only been a week, but I think it's OK. She seems to be putting it on. If it's not, my friend who came down with her daughter said they could take her and keep her on all of the pellets she needs, the daughter is a vet, and she wanted a free lease on her before when I offered it up 10 years ago. So, if I can't get her weight back up to where I want, that is a relief. It's an hour plus away, but it doesn't completely stress me out

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:06 pm

Tanga, I hope all goes well with your older mare.

I would really like to see the video you posted but I'm having trouble getting it to open.

The Championships are 3 weeks away for me. I too am hoping that the weather cools off because despite the fact that the rings will be in the air conditioned buildings, the barns are split - inside and outside. I'm pretty sure I'll end up in the outside barns because I've had to ask to house my two nitwits separately. I actually have to haul Junior and Brandon separately to the facility and put them in stalls far, far away from each other to avoid any histrionics. Junior is a saint by himself and a complete lunatic when he hauls with Brandon. If they haul separately and go straight into a stall that are in separate barns (and the barns can't even be side by side) I've managed to keep them thinking they're on their own.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 pm

Tanga, the links dont work. They are in your studio so you have to get the shareable link instead. But I think they are private, cause when I fiddled with the web address it told me they were private.

Goodluck and enjoy the champs! I hope your mare gains some weight too, nice that you have an alternative though too.

My goals. Well I definitely have to lose some weight. My new horse arrived yesterday! He is really cute but he is small. Maybe 15hh, solid but looks like a foal next to Norsey. After riding at the ranch on smaller quarter horses, he feels a 'normal' height and my other two seem huge!
Bit of anxiety settling them in together, but they've worked it out and doing well.

IMG_8179.jpg
IMG_8179.jpg (149.74 KiB) Viewed 227806 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:56 am

Oh wow, you went for it with the new spotty horse! :o Congrats!

Tanga and Exvet, good luck at the championships, I'll be rooting for you both!

My claim to fame for the week - I can now do this, about 5 seconds each side - definitely feeling the difference in the saddle:

Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:19 am

Flight you got a spotty one! Welcome to the dark side :D

I had a session with a guy that ran a clinic on rider position. He evaluated us on the horses, and then did some "releases" and "adjustments" on the riders, after which we had to get back on and report how much better it felt. It felt the same to me, so I wasn't impressed with the first part at all. He then claimed to release and engage all the horses' backs and hinds by rubbing behind the ears a few times. And he released their shoulders by simply cupping a hand on their chests for a few seconds. Because apparently his hand worked like an ultrasound...

The second part of the clinic was much more useful. Lots of core and balance exercises. I gym regularly, and it was clear that about half of the riders did as well. But it was interesting to see how many of the riders just had no proprioception at all. They would try squats or planks with completely unaligned hands and feet and skew bodies. IMO, we could have left all our horses at home and completely skipped the woowoo first part, and just focused on the other work.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:05 pm

@Tanga I will be at champs too after waffling back and forth for weeks (months). We won’t be competitive but it also feels like now or maybe never for me and my guy. I just want to have fun and enjoy cheering for my friends and barnmates. We will be competing at third AA. I will seek you out to say hi!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:21 pm

Ok. I switched them from private to shareable. They should work now?

Flight--MORE spots! I love it.

Yeah, zevida! Who cares if you're "competetive." We all do it for ourselves anyway. 3rd level used to be the hole where no one ever competed, and then about ten years ago, it became one of the biggest classes. Sigh. I'll message you so we know our actual names.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:02 am

@StraightForward I have not done superman planks and I'm wiping that from my memory before my personal trainer gets any ideas. Plank rows are bad enough! :lol:

Maia's been miss lazy bones for 2 weeks now, and her ample mid section is proof! Girly does not take after her thin and svelte momma :shock: I was out of town the last week of August, and managed to get what started out like asthma/allergies, but quickly became clear was covid. And, yep, positive. Only my second time, and this time I could get paxlovid so I'm already on 48 hours of negative tests ... now if this incessant cough would go away! The hot flashes need to go too.

Goals are simple: get off property. Not sure where I can haul to trail ride around here, but I need to find a place. And haul out for jumping lessons.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:09 am

Tanga, it looks like you still have your studio links up, rather than the link to share the video.

Heddy, I'm sure if I had a PT they would be much more torturous than I am to myself!

Got my new/used SoloShot today and hurrah, it looks like new and worked perfectly. Interesting to watch Tesla's wonkiness in canter. I think it mostly stems from a weak LH that does not want to take the weight so the RH can swing under. Plus needing flexibility in the spine. Today I was just putzing in our jumping tack because A was in the dressage saddle doing lesson pony duty. I'll try to get better video tomorrow and maybe start a new thread.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:18 am

bathroom right by the tack. Ugh. I was supposed to go to the feed store but no half way there I realized I needed to divert toward home and barely made it home before further explosions. So I drank pesto, tried to hydrate and took a nap. So getting ready for the second effort to go load my trailer and horse and a dramatic storm hits. Ilia says quick come look and there is a funnel cloud . It didn't touch down but the yes were blowing in a circular motion. I'm not driving a trailer through that. I checked and the storm is going to last a few hours.

I ride really early tomorrow so I'll need to get up at four am to make it.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:55 am

OK, ONE more time! Let's see if this works.
https://youtu.be/pS1NjZ3od-0

https://youtu.be/i1vuo1y0HX8

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:58 am

Tanga wrote:OK, ONE more time! Let's see if this works.
https://youtu.be/pS1NjZ3od-0

https://youtu.be/i1vuo1y0HX8

Success, it works! :D

I liked the suggestion of counting, even for a single change. We've got nice singles now, but I "allow" them rather than actually "aid" for them. Which looks lovely at my current level but will be totally useless for trying to do more than one :oops:

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:31 pm

Yes! the links worked for me too. Thank you for posting Tanga.

I have been doing a lot of canter haunches in and canter half pass to help with Junior's strength, coordination, suppleness and figuring out how to be comfortable with jumping side ways. The focus seems to be helping. Junior has more consistent jump in the canter in both directions. We've also been working on going from walk pirouette to canter pirouette and today he was able to complete an entire working canter pirouette (HI volte) in each direction. I put the flying changes away for this week. I have the schooling show next Saturday so I'll take them out and dust them off on Friday (one week from today). We'll see soon if my approach is working.

Getting ready to ride Brandon in a few. Plan is to do a LOT of canter. It's a good thing I have fun with the canter because I've certainly been adding on to the miles trying to build strength and relaxation (ie, balance). It seems to be working because he's so less fussy in the bridle at the canter than he is at the trot or walk. I can tell that mister busy mind/busy mouth will improve immensely when we are more solidly doing second level work. One thing is for sure, you can finally see his gaskins from afar and he has a pretty nice top line developing ;) Now to continue to work on losing the noodle approach at walk and trot. He's so much like my Arab who helped me earn my bronze it's uncanny.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:51 pm

Oh, good. There are a couple of shorter ones that were earlier, but I don't know if I can figure out how to post them.

I noticed the main issue was she was tightening her inside hip and not allowing the horse to come up into the change or the pirouette. she is long legged and short waisted like me. She got nervous in anticipating the movement. I focused on getting her to stay relaxed and think of both movements as sitting on the outside hip to push UP into the inside hip in rhythm instead of dropping the inside hip and blocking it. She was also way overriding with the rein. I had to have her really shorten her outside rein to engage the outside hind for the changes and keep the collection and turn for the pirouette.

The talking in your head for EVERYTHING is something I do always when I ride. In my head I am " soften hips, soften hips bend, bend, one two, three, scootch scootch, up, up," etc. It keeps me from tightening and over riding and focusing on what I should and she was very much the same way. I think she also really needs to ride that way, too, because she is pretty intense in focus. You can really see a difference in it when she was doing, can't you?

exvet Another good exercise for you I do a lot I also had her do for suppleness and collection in canter is just on a circle think/ride haunches out/shoulder fore (whichever works best in your end) to get engagement--you'll feel that inside come up under and really push. Make sure you keep that outside rein so they stay STRAIGHT, though. And then you can go back and forth between that and the haunches in, which has a different feel of collection and really allows you to feel the sweeping the outside rein and leg over for that.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:56 pm

Last week was good!

1. SoloShot arrived, looks brand new and is working quite well. I got some good insight watching my Friday night ride on T. I think we're at a stage where I really need to get her flexing the joints of her hind legs and carrying more. Once she can come up and through a little more with the withers, the canter should improve a lot. Hopefully this week's clinic will be in the outdoor and they let me set the camera up!

2. Annabelle is doing well with her student, and she felt great for our dressage school Friday night. Saturday a barn buddy and I did a little grid day and we jumped a couple 2'6" oxers. She caught the video and she seems to be handling it easily even though I probably outweigh Autumn by at least 40#.

3. I jumped Tesla through the same grid and we did a 2'9" oxer. She was starting to get lazy, chipping in and dropping her shoulders over the 2' and 2'3"s, so I was needing to up the ante. Pretty sure I haven't done over 2'6" since I was a teenager, but it doesn't look too big when sitting on 17 hands of mare power. Yesterday the same barn buddy and I headed over the XC course and she hopped over all the logs and went through the water obstacle. None of the sucking back that she's done when off property before, I had a big grin on my face just cantering through the field. That's what it's all about.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:52 pm

What do you enjoy about riding.

Do you still love the same things or have you changed.

Are your new goals habits from the past or designed to make you happy?

After a craptastic weekend of broken and changed plans I realize I wasn't even disappointed and am trying to evaluate my riding .

Help me by answering these questions for yourself and that.might nudge my mind .

Thx

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:34 pm

This is a very good question, Chisamba.

I'm here in England in one of my old riding haunts from 30 years ago, where, whilst I got my first sniffs of dressage, i largely hacked out and when I occasionally showed it was in an entirely different discipline and with no "long term goals" in mind.

I enjoy the challenge of what I do now, but have a lot of nostalgia for this past easier life. However, I notice that, retracing some of my old steps today, im not sure how possible it would be today..

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Love it tanga! What a priceless gift you sharing your lovely mares with the young rider!!

Exvet similar situation I’m a bit in the weeds with bracing and Joplin. Especially in the canter work. Two things I’m chipping away at is firm this is the parameters and you need to stay in them and the better engaged she is the better the contact. Especially in the trot. I am getting piaffe on the spot under saddle with Joplin and with the new firm rules much better canter.

SF that does sound lovely! Nothing like a good forward canter in a field

Chisamba I don’t like to show. I like the training I am hoping to do some other stuff with Joplin like trail riding and WE. But what feeds my soul is the clinics I host with Cedar. Up to 4 a year now and trying for 5 next year if we can. Cedar is such a wonderful person and our riders are just a blast. We have pot luck and great lunches. I like cooking for all and another of my friends is a foodie too so we eat good. We laugh drink too much wine and have a new cocktail to try each clinic. And we all throughly enjoy riding with Cedar.

My goals really have not changed I have changed horses. That does make a difference. I enjoy most is the training and learning. Recognized shows not now most definitely.

My next big goal is to go back to Portugal but not sure when because of mom

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:43 pm

Chisamba wrote:What do you enjoy about riding.

Do you still love the same things or have you changed. I still love most of the same things. I am grateful to have horses I really just love to be around and ride whether it's trail riding or schooling dressage or working on conditioning. I still choose to show for my own rewards and goals; but, I don't have the desire to campaign like I used to do. I also have less and less need to 'be in the thick of things' in regards to my chosen breeds or discipline. I still enjoy learning especially when it has to do with horses.

[color=#0040BF] Yes and yes...............I still badly wish to earn my gold and my preference is to do it on a homebred. Having said that though my training goals are to try to improve my riding and stick to the classical principles. I just don't think either of my two could progress if I didn't. I am far more cognizant of the fact that dressage training and progression isn't linear and more relaxed and patient to let it 'come' in due time. I also ride with more pain now but I'm grateful for every day I can swing my leg over the saddle because I know I some point I won't be able to and then I'll be at a greater loss. I have always had the perspective that I need to do as much as I can, when I can because if I wait for a 'better' time it might not come. Because I ride what I love and love what I ride, even if I don't obtain my goals, as long as I know that I did the best I could with what I had I can let it go and switch gears towards something my horse(s) and I can do together. [/color]

After a craptastic weekend of broken and changed plans I realize I wasn't even disappointed and am trying to evaluate my riding .

Help me by answering these questions for yourself and that.might nudge my mind .

Thx

blob

Postby blob » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:56 am

I am an overthinker. I have a busy mind, i'm always 10 steps ahead or still dissecting the past. The only time when my mind is truly quiet and in the moment--not wandering--is when i'm riding or working with horses. There is a quiet and a focus that I get from being with horses, riding them that is so valuable to me and my happiness. The relationships I build with the horses I work closely also feel really meaningful. And they are all unique and distinct. After last year's bad respitory flare and the earlier colic scare with MM, I truly feel like every ride with her is a gift. I'm thankful that both my horses have chosen to trust me and have continued to do so even as I have made mistakes.

I don't think my overall riding goals have changed. I am motivated by the partnership and by progression and by being able to improve one step at a time. I like to show because it keeps my goals focused, it helps me achieve things. Like Exvet, I'd love to one day get my gold. But I need my silver first, so I have a long way to go. But I'm motivated to get up through the levels. Having said that, my goals with my horses have changed. i no longer care if i ever get MM in a show ring again. I hope she and I continue to learn together, whether it's traditional dressage or not. The other day I rode her brideless and that too was learning and something for us to build together. It meets my goals with her of doing and learning new things together even if there is no end goal other than improving our partnership and improving my horsemanship. My goals with RP have also adjusted in the time that I've had him. I still plan to show him and I still am motivated to move him up the levels as far as I can take him. But I have let go of the timelines I previously had. So maybe what it really is that I have changed my parameters in order to keep my goal.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:39 am

Chisamba wrote:What do you enjoy about riding.

My answer is very aligned with Blob's. Riding is like meditation for me. Doesn't matter what is going on in my life or where my headspace is. I get on my horse and it goes quiet. I like the physical challenge for myself, and the mental challenge of trying to not only learn new things myself, but also how to teach them to my horse (who has no idea why any of this is happening to him or what the point it).

I've gotten more nervous about jumping, a lot more nervous. But I still do weekly jumping lessons. Now we just stick to smaller obstacles.
I used to love spending hours at the yard with friends, talking about horses, and watching lessons etc. The current yard doesn't have a culture of just hanging out, and over the years my main group of horsey friends have scattered. So this is a thing I love but that I don't get to enjoy that much anymore.
My biggest love is the everyday details and grind of training, to be honest...

I'm not really sure. I guess my goal is training to see what I can train. My only real dream with Odin was to ride a passable EM test before he has to retire, and we've managed that. Now I'd like to do a few more :D
I've never been the happy hacker type. Hacks are something I do strictly for my horse's sake, or for catching up with friends.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:28 pm

Similar to others, it puts me in a flow state. It is totally immersive and "in the moment" versus other things like running or gardening, where my mind can wander. There is also always something new to learn, and I love the lightbulb moments, and when I can have those moments of feeling totally in sync with my horse.

Kind of like Moutaineer alluded to, the world has changed, so things I used to love just aren't as accessible now - like having to haul across town to go on a little trail ride. I would hack out more if we could go from the property.

I think it's about the same, but my goals are bigger because I've made a lot of progress and understand a lot more than I did five years ago. I think some of my habits have changed in that I spend more time on off-horse care, learning more about bodywork, trimming etc., and some days I go out to ride and end up doing something else entirely.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:07 pm

Sorry. I just HAVE to jump in! Eeeehh! I'm actually excited for champs. Got a room at the inn right there, thankfully, because I have 8 am ride times most days. Weather is WAY cooler than normal. NO smoke and fires! N. CA counties don't have to get that extra EV vet cert. VERY small show! Last few years it was about 30-35 rides in the PSG, now about 8. Only 2 rides on some of them, so I am at least reserve champ in the USDF GP freestyle! (Hey, sometimes just showing up counts!) Only two and three in the I-1 freestyle, and i think Quinn is super competetive (and the CDS has GOOD prize money!) They moved one of Quinn's classes so I don't have to drop a class for her. I will get to meet Zevida (who is in the lovely race barn, and I am in a the nice end area behind the office and across from toilets and washracks.)

My older mare is, I think doing OK. I know can't expect her to put on 200 lbs in a couple of weeks, but she is packing it in and putting it on. I was working a bit with one of my leasors on her the other day starting on pirouettes, and she is SO smart and SO good at teaching people and doing a bad job if they don't ask right. She is a happy horse.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:15 pm

I'm feeling kind of ready for fall although I don't love that winter is coming right after it.

But I was able to ride my horse today. I hopped on after the dressage trainer.. . Just some walking around on the buckle but it felt so nice. He looks pretty good too although I already have an appointment with the vet next week to check him.

I think my only goal is to keep my head up and be able to ride a bit :)

I look forward to watch everyone else match forward to their more exciting goals!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Tanga, super update. I hope it all continues in an upbeat exciting way.

Lsp, so good to hear you were able to ride your horse.

Everyone who thoughtless answered my questions, thank you so much.

Thirty or forty years ago when I was really competing I had no desire to get my bronze, silver or gold medal. A little bit I thought they were fake accolades for people who could score over 60 but not win anything. Also I was not very organized and getting scores signed and mailing things in seemed such a bother.

Now keeping track of scores is so easy. Scores are all available online. Anyone who had ridden in the 2000s it's all there to see.
So I applied for my bronze since those scores were available. Then made it a goal to go for my silver. But I'm not even sure I care about that.

The medals are only as meaningful as you make them. Exvet for example. It will be very meaningful for because she trains and rides the breed she likes and has the goal to get her medals. All those riders who train from green.to gold. Very meaningful. I know I've ridden those levels in my prime. Is it meaningful to me to try to get back there in my grey years, or am I just happy to potter along improving and working on my horses. I can't decide. Sometimes and I ride I decide I'm going to just have a relaxed exercise ride, but as I go along I suddenly find myself working on something. Can I get a more supple response etc etc and then I find myself either improving basics or going for the next big thing. I don't think I enjoy simply hacking unless it's actually on a trail enjoying scenery and changes of terrain

So I still love riding. A certainly enjoy being around the horses. I still want to try the next big thing. So I guess I might as well do go for psg and the silver.

I just wish I enjoyed showing.

Saiph, she is in good fettle. She gets very anxious when I start stringing all the this in together in test format so we have the winter to work on her being so confident in each thing that it does not stress her to ask to show them.

Kimba walk 15 minutes. Trot five . And hope the leg continues to heal.

Flei. Leg yield canter. Cease and desist bucking.

Honey. Improve Wright and muscling so that she can sustain her current training and improve.

Thx

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:56 pm

Chisamba, hmmm that's tough. I personally don't enjoy showing. I see value in it and I understand why it lights a fire in some people. For me, I honestly just hate getting ready and the stress lol. It's just not worth it to me. But I'm anxious.

I just enjoy the process.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:07 am

Tanga super excited for you at Champs! Almost makes me want to come up and watch, have to wait to a negative Covid test LOL. I don't feel that sick but it is what it is and I have to wait until I test clean.

Why do you think the numbers are so down?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:11 am

Oh DO come if you can, Quelah. I think the numbers are down because it's just gotten so expensive and yet ANOTHER sort of plague with the VS this year, which required a lot of show cancellations and then all kind of hoops to jump through to put on and get to shows, including a vet certificate 2 -5 days out. Basically the southern half of CA has to provide those certificates to get on the show grounds. I saved $300. But we still need declarations for VS and EHV saying we haven't been exposed and a temperature log twice a day on all horses starting three days before and keep it on the stall the whole time. Oh, and adding, I just found out the big eventing competition Twin Rivers is at the same time. I wonder if that had any effect. OH, and another thing--I think we all noticed a lowering of scores everywhere. I think people had trouble getting scores. I know I did.

I'm with you, Chisamba, big time, on figuring out motivation. The medals and such are something no one really cares about but yourself. CA added these diamond medal things I never applied for. Back when I finished mine, it was still quite unusual to have all six medals (freestyle and regular.) not many people could do it, and those who could, didn't bother with lower levels. I am pretty sure at the time I was the only person who had done it on horses I 100% trained. I'm getting some reaction on people wanting to ride Quilla and get some medals. I don't know. I'm still working that out. I think, I might, if it's not all plagues and expenses next year, do Quinn at I-2 and GP and see how she does. Right now I just really want their mom to put on weight so I can keep her, even though I have a good option for her to go. Both of he leasors adore the queen.
Last edited by Tanga on Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:28 am

My old lady and her two pasture mates are on the long slow decline. All three get soaked porridge ( between senior, hay extender and soaked alfalfa pellets) 5 meals a day. Despite this none of them a doing superbly. All three are unsteady in their feet, knees dying bend as well as they used to and stiff hocks. It's very hard to trim their feet, and old oldster ( 31) is reluctant to move much. My vet visited them yesterday and gently asked where we were on considering humane euthanasia. I said if have the serious talk with their owners. I'm concerned about winter, ice and not wanting to be a day too late.

I'm so sympathetic to your plight Tanga. And everyone with aging beloveds.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:03 pm

Aww, Chisamba, I do hope you can have the talk. Better too early than too late. We just had a 33 year old where she made the decision to do it before it got bad. In the spring one of the in bad shape lesson ponies got really bad when I was at the World Cup and it was as bad as they can get.

Mom is not at the stage with any of that except making sure she keeps weight on, and if that doesn't work, my friend will take her and feed her soaked pellets non stop and let her wander the property and vacuum hay bits. She's actually WAY sounder than she was and is like a firecracker--I tell ya, turmeric is amazing. (She's 100% off previcox.)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Be careful of ulcers with turmeric. My friend nearly killed her horse with severe ulcers overdoing turmeric. It does cause loose stools.

When I took turmeric because I am allergic to NSAiDs my reflux and indigestion was ghastly. Even thought it's touted to cure everything including Gerd my experience was very different. Awful stuff on the gut for me. And the poor horse was in hospital with the " worst ulcers they had seen" . Just a small warning in case you did not know it can be ulcerative.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:54 pm

Chisamba that’s interesting. I just started a turmeric supplement myself. Will keep an eye on any issues.
As for watching the decline of our LOs both furred and human. It’s definitely hard. Mom had a morning today when she did not even know who she was. It’s been a long gradual decline since she was diagnosed with dementia in 2019. As for our animals I’m to the point if euthanasia crosses my mind it’s time. Like Tanga better a month too early than a day too late. Especially with such a large animal as a horse.

We just had a serious convo on Juliet where the owner was considering euthanasia. The mare is completely blind in her right eye from uveitis and now dealing with glaucoma. She’s very painful and the eye need’s to be removed. Owner was reluctant thought about putting her down but after Frank talk she’s decided on enucleation. It was either remove the eye out her down or move her to another facility. Was not going to watch a horse be painful when you can do something about it.

Tanga good luck at the show! I’m heading to schooling show Saturday. Just 1st 3/2nd 1 if it’s not too hot. Riding through the tests today was brutal. May just do one if it’s still so humid Saturday.

Happy riding all!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:16 am

Chisamba wrote:Be careful of ulcers with turmeric. My friend nearly killed her horse with severe ulcers overdoing turmeric. It does cause loose stools.

When I took turmeric because I am allergic to NSAiDs my reflux and indigestion was ghastly. Even thought it's touted to cure everything including Gerd my experience was very different. Awful stuff on the gut for me. And the poor horse was in hospital with the " worst ulcers they had seen" . Just a small warning in case you did not know it can be ulcerative.

Interesting. I haven't heard of that. I give her about a tablespoon a day, and have had zero issues with loose stools. I haven't noticed anything with myself except that I don't seem to be having nearly as many problems with my joints "going out."

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:26 pm

I use a heavily based tumeric supplement for Junior for his airway inflammation (very sensitive to poor air quality) however I also have him on Purina Outlast and will give omeprazole leading up to and during a show. The supplement has more than tumeric (proprietary so I don't know all the ingredients) but the 'mixture' is about 1/2 of a teaspoon twice a day. It does make sense though because tumeric is a natural anti-inflammatory which works on the arachidonic pathway. It also prevents platelets from clumping in addition to lowering specific enzymes involved with inflammation which can lead to more severe bleeding. This is why you are often advised to stop any 'blood thinners' prior to surgery and must be judicious in your use of anti-inflammatories when you're dealing with any situation that involves blood loss (blood replacement therapies or control the bleed) or could promote GI ulceration.

Return to “Dressage Training”