Trotting on to 2024 - Goals, Progress and More (Jan-Feb)

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trotting on to 2024 - Goals, Progress and More (Jan-Feb)

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:50 pm

Saiph's path sounds like the one that we have taken/are taking with Potters. They need to develop the physical and mental confidence in their own ability to do stuff before they are asked to do it, or they get worried and balky about the whole thing. There is no learning by doing, or work by the seat of the pants, the prep has to all be there. I've been able to bluff through things in the past. Not with this horse.

And to me "limiting" doesn't mean "don't bother." She looks lovely.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 pm

Very nice pictures chisamba. Honestly I think I thrive with my horses that have been noted as living with a ceiling. You accept the limits and work to perfect all basics and then the diamond is there ;) Monty had/has a limited walk and canter; but, he got me there due to his heart and temperament. We all know the struggles I've had with Junior; but, his shine, especially with his canter is starting to peek through now but not without a shit ton of effort to convince a pony that, yes, I really do want all that and the bag of chips, REALLY. Hopefully I'll at some point complete a GP test. I do feel that PSG is in our reach. Based on those pictures you have instilled some really solid basics............only good things to come with that type of effort and training. We tend to stifle our horses if we don't believe. That doesn't mean we're blind to their limitations. I think acknowledging limits is in many ways liberating because at least I tend to 'move on' and not get stuck; but, the work spent on basics to perfect the balance of other aspects (shifting the focus) often allows me to come back later and see that perhaps I or others were too critical in defining the limits with 'the canter' or 'the walk' or etc. I've been told so many darn times that Junior's walk will or can never improve...................ah yes................now I have a pony with a very nice collected walk, lifting through the withers and all it took was me to emphasize that it's really what I want(ed) and then get out of his damn way ;)

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:59 pm

Chisamba, both mares look lovely--uphill and correct. Sounds like clinic was useful and productive, particularly with Siaph.

Khall, so glad to hear Gaila and baby are doing better. Fingers crossed it stays steady until delivery. I can't WAIT to see baby pictures! I agree with you that I have a hard time spending a lot on a horse upfront. But for me (someone who doesn't own my own property), I think costs of pregnancy + board until the horse was ready to start under saddle would surpass $35k (not counting the board costs of mare), which is crazy to think about.

We are dealing with a pretty strong (for us) cold snap that was preceded by rain, so while roads are thankfully not icy--the ground went from sloppy/muddy to frozen hard in uneven ways. So, no riding until it warms up on Thursday up to 37, only to drop back down over the weekend. Today the high is 21. My two are very furry and have plenty of hay--so i'm not worried about them, but obviously much cooler than they're used to, so no point in riding and making their lungs work hard in such cold air. Next week warms up a lot, but also it's supposed to rain pretty much the whole week, sight.

There is a Conrad Schumacher clinic coming up that i was hoping to ride in, but I don't think the dates are going to work out. Michael Poulin is also coming in a couple months, so maybe that will work out.

This year I bought myself a planner with the sole purpose of logging my rides, planning out training goals, and tracking progress. With RP's canter issues, it's been hard for me to objectively see if we are progressing or not. I can se we are having fewer bad days than we used to, but by how much? Are they actually continuing to decrease? Is there any pattern on what I worked on the day off or the day before when we have a bad canter day? It's easy to just remember the doom and gloom and feel discouraged. So, I'm hoping this will help me assess more accurately. It can also help me stay accountable for things I want to do certain weeks like do hill/pole work, practice tests, go on a hack, lunge, etc. After felt like a bit of an aimless year, I'm hoping this will help me create some more structure.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:15 pm

I have tried the planner, blob and it's sort useful even if o forget to log from time to time.

Exvet, thank you and I agree. No reason to visualize a ceiling, it can only be limiting, ain for the next level and beyond and either get there or learn a lot on the way. Right?

Its ( insert cusseord of choice) cold here. Snow and ice accumulations from a couple of different storms ( not Moutaineer levels) and cold winds keeping it in the single digits ( 5 F to maybe 12) so not quite single digits. But my digits ( fingers and toes) and the frozen water, hard to start tractor and icicles make horse care a little more difficult.

I was criticized for putting Pollo wraps on my horses, you know, the new dutch rule banning them because they warm the legs. Well people it's below freezing, don't you think a bit of warmth on the legs is therapeutic?

Any way. Keep me motivated with your lovely updates.

Khall, bless your broodmare and foal!

Flight, I hope your pain in the @rse is soon better.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:14 am

Chisamba - really nice pictures, I especially like the one of Saiph!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 am

Gorgeous pics Chisamba!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:09 am

Nice ride today focussing on shoulder in to haunches in on a circle (with the added forward impetus of snow crashing off the roof.) I'm finally getting how to change my weighting in my seat and legs correctly rather than using my hands as much.

I've just ordered a new show coat. I wonder if it will actually fit, and if I will love the color ( Burgundy-- DHs choice. Not entirely convinced with a bright Chestnut, but it depends how bright the Burgundy is, and if he likes it, I guess I'll like it :) )

Minor peeve... why do show coat manufacturers currently feel the need to show their coats on wild-haired models apparently wearing a size too small and who appear to be twerking at the camera? I know this makes me sound like an old bat, but I really want a show coat to make me look elegant, not like a sex bomb. Even Pikeur does this. I want the equivalent of conformation shots. I want to see what the coat looks like on someone appropriately turned out and riding, not hugging the horse around its neck, or stretched suggestively against a wall brandishing a whip....

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:21 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
Minor peeve... why do show coat manufacturers currently feel the need to show their coats on wild-haired models apparently wearing a size too small and who appear to be twerking at the camera? I know this makes me sound like an old bat, but I really want a show coat to make me look elegant, not like a sex bomb. Even Pikeur does this. I want the equivalent of conformation shots. I want to see what the coat looks like on someone appropriately turned out and riding, not hugging the horse around its neck, or stretched suggestively against a wall brandishing a whip....

LOL, I just laugh. Here in 'the other' silicone valley, I actually do see the 'real' thing. They range in age from the 20 something to my age, 60. As the age increases the amount of silicone/plastic/botox/collagen injections increase. Some are effective riders. Most are not. I often tack up at my trailer even if I have a stall (I don't throw money away on a tack stall). It's a long walk but I look at it as part of my warm up and a chance to collect my thoughts. I plan my warm-up, go over the test, etc as I walk to and from the trailer..........but it never fails as I'm walking back to the warm-up ring getting ready to mount, I'm in awe of those also heading to the warm-up ring or already in because it often looks like a bunch of Barbies wedged on to their (often some derivation of a PRE) mount with so much bling, lips, boobs and matchy matchy it's blinding. I then notice the horse. Used to be the other way around but not no more. As I mount to get on either Junior or Brandon I'm never nervous because I figure it's unlikely anyone will ever notice me. While I certainly don't blend into the crowd we also clearly don't have enough sirens, flashing lights, bells or whistles to draw attention. Going unnoticed or I prefer "in stealth mode' is often our best defense ;) I do agree it's a ridiculous way to pander to the ego. Hell I'm riding a horse not trying to pick up a human partner. Silly me.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:21 pm

I kind of got into matching saxdle pad and shirt a bit. I quite like it. But I don't really like to much shiny stuff. I agree a TON of Spanish type horses with flashy front legs and mincing behind
I think they may be comfotable? Fashionable? But i generally don't look down on horses because of type. Anyway. Yes the abbeys for jackets are semi sexual. And the cuts are shorter too, I guess it's fashionable to twerk at the judge? Lol

I've had to be new clothes because of the weight loss and it's hard to find a simple old fashioned coat
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:32 pm

I think the iberians have become so AA popular because they are easy to sit and are usually not lazy without being overly hot. I think sometimes with warmbloods you either have a lazy lug or something sensitive and hotter that also feels very, very powerful and does require an experienced rider with good feel and a good seat.

I admit that I have embraced the fun color trend, but other than my horse's browband I don't like too much actual bling/sparkles. Blinged out spurs always surprise me--does anyone WANT to draw attention to their spur/heel? I know I don't! For years I only ever wore my black show coat and I still love it. But recently I've ended up with a teal one and a pink one (yes, I know). And it does feel fun.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:10 pm

Those modeling choices are always super amusing. And incredibly frustrating if I am in a hurry to buy something. But, really, nearly all clothes modeling photos are useless.

The main places I buy from have gotten into the "model is XX tall, weighs XX and is wearing X size" with a carousel of multiple models. That is way more helpful for me than the interactive "what size do you wear in Gap jeans?" I haven't ever owned a pair of Gap jeans, and if they're anything like Lucky's jeans (which I occasionally bought back when I had to work in person over 10 years ago), I can wear a 27 in one cut, and a 29/30 in another.

My matching is black, black, and more black, plus whatever atrocious running shirt was on sale :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:15 pm

Well I will be looking forward to seeing your burgundy coat, Moutaineer!

I've acquired quite a stable of matchy pads and shirts, but for showing I pretty much stick with navy, or black and white with my chestnut boots. I'm mostly planning for schooling shows, this year, so I've got a pale yellow pad and matching short sleeve shirt as well as a few other options that are a little different color-wise, but not over the top on bling.

First ride in a week last night, and Tesla was charged up once we warmed up, and we had a pretty good ride. I am working on hind leg control with her. She is very easy to bounce her hind legs out of alignment, or get too quick so they aren't connecting with the ground, so we worked more on slowing down, and really maintaining alignment in the SI and HI to avoid cheating.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:29 pm

So to clarify, I admire a well turned out pair. I just feel that many in our area have gone over the top. It feels like you're entering project runway or New York Fashion Week. To add to Blob's comment on the spurs, why would you want to draw attention to parts that might not be 'where' you expect they should be; but, back to my point, so many have silicone and/or botox, those areas no longer have the ability to move but they align with the newer fashion trends in dressage, LOL ;) Also I don't look down on Iberians they just seem to be everywhere now. Tamara in TN and I had considered breeding them to some of our Welsh when she acquired a purebred stallion and mare (one of the few acquisition trips the two of us did together and in person as opposed to coordinating online in the wee hours) until her life and mine took dramatic turns. A breeder [Welsh Cob] friend of ours has produced a couple of really nice ones as it turns out though because she was using a section C stallion on an Andalusian mare, they have been limited to us shorter riders.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:53 pm

I’ll chime in on the Iberian trend. Still don’t see that many on the east coast shows but there are quite a few breeders and importers here. Many in WE.

Me personally I will choose an Iberian over a WB any day. I don’t necessarily find them more comfortable to sit but because of their temperament. They want to work for you and can take the pressure of the training better than most WBs. Now I’m not a huge fan of the sewing machine style of movement but there are many who do not move in that manner. I would have either full or part bred Iberian and the WB/iberian cross I find interesting as well as the Azteca. Looking forward to my Lusitano x foal soon!

I love the colors now that are out there. A barn in Ocala I follow teaches kids and events does FEI dressage as well. They were used as models for one catalog can’t remember the company. They are always sharply but tastefully turned out.

Not a huge fan of extra bling but do love blingy brow bands!

It’s cold here today! Having some food rides on Joplin. Lightbulb moment last ride on how to get her straighter R lead. Her trot work is easy to train. Canter whole talented is big and she throws me around especially R lead not ridden anything quite like Joplin before.

Not sure if I had mentioned I had hopped on her bareback recently. She was totally fine with it. Her dam gated to be ridden bare back. Joplin has so much movement in her back. Very interesting!

My PH saddle should be here soon! I went with mix of black and brown leather.

Happy riding all and for those in need of good weather jingles you’ve got them!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:28 pm

khall wrote:Not sure if I had mentioned I had hopped on her bareback recently. She was totally fine with it. Her dam gated to be ridden bare back. Joplin has so much movement in her back. Very interesting!

My PH saddle should be here soon! I went with mix of black and brown leather.

A couple glasses of wine might have been involved but I ordered a Brockamp bareback pad last weekend. They're preorder only, so who knows when I'll get it, but apparently I think T is at a point where I get torpedoed if I try BB, but the bit of stick from the suede seems like a good idea. :lol:

Went out with a plan to ride last night, but started with the laser and she was so into it, I just lasered everything for about 45 minutes. Lots of licking and chewing, and at one point she sort of swanned her neck downward and did a big stretch and then sighed. She was untied the entire time and actively blocked me from leaving the stall until she was done.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:29 pm

Huge, huge scare last night. We're getting rain on and off so we've been bringing the horses into their stalls when it's raining to spare our turn out from being torn up too much. I rode both boys before the rain started. Both were fine and well. I left to go take care of my mother and touched base with my SO to hear he had let the horses out since the rain had dissipated. I asked him to hang the hay bags and he said they were cleaning the hay off the ground and had enough. I wasn't all that worried because there was quite a bit when I left and I would be home in plenty of time to bring them in for their evening feed. On my way back (it's 1.5 hours one way), he calls and said it was starting to rain so should he bring the horses in? I said, yes and he did. They had hay in their stalls left over from earlier. I try to keep hay in front of them all of the time. Well I went to feed at 5 pm and all seemed absolutely fine. I soak their ration balancer/supplement/alfalfa pellet mix and then fed. As I was cleaning stalls, Junior started grunting, splinting, stomping and kicking at his belly. He was sweating profusely. I was able to take his pulse as I was keeping him up and it was 160, not good. I started walking him and between me and my SO keeping him up and walking he passed numerous piles of manure, continuing to grunt and brace in pain and then all the green stuff started to come out of both nostrils. I knew he was either choked or, worse, ruptured stomach. He didn't appear bloated like a twist and his color was ok. I called the nearest equine hospital and got the vet on call to call me back about 20 minutes later. During that time I gave him a dose of banamine and my SO hooked up the truck and trailer. The vet on call was a very young gal who said she had just gotten back to the clinic from another emergency and would meet me there. I broke all land, sea and air speed records getting him there (it took a few minutes to load him because he was so painful). I got there and she took one look, got vitals and said I'm running a lactate. I confirmed and said I needed to know if he was twisted or ruptured because I obviously would put him down without putting him through more. It came back elevated but not wildly so as you would expect with a twist, septic or peritonitis condition. So, we passed a tube and started the process of trying to relieve the block. It took over an hour of just tubing him, giving me dormosedan, buscopan, butorphanol on top of the banamine just to keep him still and not threatening to throw himself down. I really didn't think I would be taking him back home; but, after about 30 gallons of fluids et al we got the blockage to pass. He was almost immediately relieved but we gave him an electrolyte mix due to the amount of lost sweat he had lost. Now we're on pneumonia watch. He's coughing but he also has a really sore throat/swollen nasal passages and upper airway. They gave me SMZ tabs (since mine are down in the Valley 2.5 hours away) to give him over the next week. I was also told to give him banamine for the next two days. I asked if they had any sucralfate because I was out (it's been on back order). They did but seemed confused as to why I would ask. I explained that clearly this horse would be experiencing an extreme esophagitis (It's not just the blockage that causes problems but the reflux does bring gastric acid up into the esophagus. It simply cannot be avoided.) along with being on antibiotics and banamine so it was my usual go to for dogs who've been vomiting (or cats for that matter if I think the owner can give it) especially if they're going to be on additional medications. The emergency vet and assistant looked at me as if I had two heads. So folks as a former equine practitioner and current small animal idiot, if you deal with choke in a horse, consider treating the esophagitis that is definitely going to be there. It may actually decrease the scarring that can and often does occur with choke, not to mention help with gastritis and other issues that can ensue. Fortunately I already have probiotics and omeprazole for the additional problems that come with such stuff.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:09 pm

How incredibly scary Exvet! Chokes that bad are just agonizing to get cleared. Jingles that Junior stays pneumonia free. Poor guy. Rough go for him.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:56 pm

That is terrifying, Exvet! How is Junior doing today? How are you?

Maia chokes too. I'm saving this post so I have more guidance in case it happens again.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Thanks y'all. So far he's okay. He's hungry but is not allowed to be fed anything but small amounts of hay starting tonight so 24 hours without any food. He's coughing but mostly seems to be irritated airway at least for now. He's constantly talking to me which is good.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:32 pm

What a scary ordeal! I'm so glad Junior is feeling better today.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:05 pm

Oh, Exvet, I am so sorry--what a scary and stressful situation. I'm glad Junior seems to be on the mend and that you were able to get him help fairly quickly to resolve the issue.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:52 am

I appreciate all the well wishes. His 24 hour NPO is up and I just fed him a small amount of hay which is already gone. I'll check him again in one hour and if he's still doing well he'll get some more hay. He is already demonstrating a snotty nose which isn't surprising but I'm hoping the antibiotics will keep it in check. Fingers and toes crossed.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:06 am

Poor guy, exvet. Jimgles continue for him and for you. What an ordeal for both of you.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:05 pm

I really hate chokes. Scarring and pneumonia seem almost inevitable. It's how one of my human clients passed away. ( aspiration pneumonia)

Best wishes on a healthy immune system, an effective antibiotic, and a good recovery.

I do not understand why everyone, human and animal doctors do not treat the esophagus to prevent scarring.

I'm really happy to hear Junior is home and seems to be recovering.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:29 pm

If you consider side reins to be the equivalent of nailing Jesus to the cross this may be a post to bypass.

Stephan rode Saiph in the clinic and experienced first hand her most frustrating characteristic. I call it rooting, but it’s where the horse grabs the bit and flings its head forward or forward and downward with a jerk. In saiphs worst mode if you sit tall and do not let her move your arm, she will rear, and some of you may remember when I first got her and she was walk only as I rehabbed her. She scared herself, bolted, I pulled the reins maybe top harshly, idk, and she reared and flipped and smashed me and herself into the wall breaking the kick board.

Anyway perhaps because of that I have always been inclined to let the rein slide through my fingers. So sometimes in tests she lengthens the reins and I get that comment that has me so offended. “really sweet horse, rider just needs to learn to ride with shorter reins.”
So the last two clinics when the clinician said hold the reins and keep your hands still, they were given the full demosonstration of how sweet she isn't. Some of her resistance is to stop dead, run backwards. Rear. Usually because I've experienced the rear ill state to push her sideways and try to keep her hind legs moving to avoid the rear.

Ok so Stephan ride her and I was interested to see how she responded. He is better than me, has a longer leg too so when he thumped his leg in her it had a more significant impact. Perhaps because of that a couple of times she really reared. Saiphs previous owner did not believe in letting other people, we been her trainer, ride her horse, although I let others ride my horses anna even use them to teach movements.
After his ride he suggested longe her in side reins. I told him it was not something I wanted to do because even on the long setting she would root at the side rein til she found the pressure and the react negatively.

We discussed further and I decided to go ahead and lunge. I attached only the outside rein at a fairly relaxed length, and then put rhe lunge on the inside through the bit and to the surfing level so I could bend, release, or adjust the contact.

It was very useful. I managed to work through many transitions, encouraging her to step up behind and yield when she rooted. Because of the slightly longer outside rein and the way of attaching the line line I was also able to work on suppling through the body and by touching the inside hind leg with the whip, get her to give more power from behind into the connection. It was not entirely without drama, but I was definitely able to prevent the rear.

I'm sharing this because it was ultimately a very positive training experience. In going to repeat the exercise weekly and see how it transfer to under saddle work.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Exvet I hope Junior is still feeling well and jingles that the SMZs do their job! Same antibiotic Gaila is on.

I found the exercise to help Joplin with CW transitions. 10 m circles to W works wonderfully. I’ve been doing lots more smaller circles and serpentines in general with Joplin and really like what they do for her.

Getting the foaling stall ready to put Gaila in next month. Colorizing the walls this week when it’s not as cold! Straightened mats out have the straw already. Need to put shavings down next week then put her into it. My Barnmaster barn has two rolling walls that can turn two 12x12 into one 12x20. Love that feature of my barn!

Then gearing up for Cedar next month. Hopefully I can fill the WE clinic in March. Trying to get some interest going locally.

Chisamba I just read your post re SRs. I’ve definitely used them in the past but also had a horse very reactive to pressure that made me not use them much anymore. Afraid she would kill herself. I have used them on another horse as you described with the sliding inside line. He responded well though was not a reactive to contact just giraffe horse. I also have used a chambon on him. But again contact was not a fight tension and tight back was his go to. Good luck with Saiph!

Happy riding all!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:02 pm

I am so glad Junior is OK, exvet. That's what I went through with Sora. And here, the vets put them on sulcrafate for about 5 days after a choke just because of the damage the tube causes to the esophagus. That's not a good sign the ER vets didn't even know about using it. Almost everyone here has a bottle in their tank trunk--the vet says it's cheap and good to have around.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:07 pm

Exvet, that sounds so scary! Glad he made it through and I hope he continues to recover.
Chisamba, your horses are looking great in those pics. Glad you're continuing on and finding ways to keep training them. The rearing wouldn't be fun at all, so it's good that you've got something to help Saiph with it.
Khall, hope Gaila continues well with her pregnancy and look forward to baby pics :)

I've had more drama with the young horse, but I've just spent 4 days at a clinic. Not with him - unfortunately we had a floating (trailering) incident where he decided jumping over the chest bar would be a good idea. Have to say, it was horrific, but all got out of it ok and I chose to walk him 8km home from my friends house where it happened. Nice to know that my back held up to walking, and maybe I can start exercising again.
So I took Norsey instead, and learned stuff that will help the young horse. All the horses I've had so far have been timid, and will back off if scared. The new one I actually have called him a mini bulldozer. He comes at you and over the top of you when he gets a fright. Which explains my fall and the floating problem.
Anyway, I had a sneaky little ride on Norsey at the clinic. I'm still a few weeks off for my back to heal but even though my fall wasn't from Norsey, I still felt a bit anxious about riding. So, the relative safety of the clinic (rather than alone at home) was a good way to get that first ride done. Norsey's had 6 weeks off, but he was fine.
416316764_1062664318187004_869186759287610532_n.jpg
416316764_1062664318187004_869186759287610532_n.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:28 pm

Just a quick note got my first FC on Joplin today!

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:34 am

Chisamba, I am a big fan of SRs actually and have used them a lot when a horse has issues with contact (yes, even rearing). It is easier and safer for me to send a horse forward from the ground than from the saddle. And even though SRs have gotten a lot of heat from some people, IMO they are actually a lot kinder than the average rider's hands. Yes, a rider can let reins slip through, but SRs are always consistent. They do not change, they do not react, they provide clarity without human error, human unevenness, or human reaction. IMO, if a horse cannot handle moving forward into correctly adjusted SRs, then they are not going to be able to correctly handle being ridden into contact. That doesn't mean i slap on side reins and just drive a horse into them. Like you, I would start with just one, then build to two, and slowly move to the correctly adjusted length. I know not everyone agrees that they are a valuable tool and that's ok. I'm glad the training session was productive. I hope it continues to yield some good progress with Siaph.

I have been really struggling with right SI in with RP. It feels like either I don't have enough sideways or I don't have enough forward and in both cases I am struggling to get a true half halt on the left rein. So, today instead of SI, I played with LYs along the rail. He also found these very difficult, but I think they did help make him think about his body differently. The rest of the week is rain, so probably no more riding. However, both of mine are getting teeth done tomorrow and vaccines thursday, so at least we are checking some things off the list.

I am feeling very sloppy in my riding--out of shape and not sharp. I don't know how to fix the sharpness, but I am trying to fix the out of shapeness by working out outside of the saddle. I have to admit, I HATE working out. I find it boring--even when it's hard. So, I'm trying to do high intensity, short workouts. I've found some 20-30 minute HIIT workouts that I will try to do. They are boring and hard, but at least they are over quickly.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:40 am

The Burgundy jacket arrived today. Its actually really nice. Especially for the money (Smatpak Piper softshell. I got it on sale so it cost me $84.00. Can't beat that!) Quite a subdued color so I think it will look good on the redhead. Whilst it is very well cut with quite a forgiving fit, It would of course look better with a bit less squish inside it, so renewed efforts to reduce and tone the human body are underway. 5lbs would make a huge difference. It really shouldn't be that hard (hah.)

Potters was a bit of a problem child today. Its almost exactly 6 months since his last round of maintenance, so I guess it's time. We'll back things off until he's been lubed up a bit.

Side reins sound like a safe and sensible way to approach that issue, Chisamba. She's pretty determined if she's been up and over once with you and is still threatening. You be careful! We like having you around.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:16 pm

Glad you are back in the saddle, Flight.

Khall, congrats on the FC!

The last few nights I've been setting up a square using a cavaletti block with the ends of two poles propped up to create the corners, and using that to keep T out on the circle while lunging. It's working great because she gets in close and has to self correct and lift her shoulder and reestablish the bend to make it around each corner. I've also been playing with the SureFoot pads and then just doing a short ride afterwards. I need to set up the Pivo and get some video one of these nights, but I like the results I'm getting. I think her canter is getting more pure. We are playing a little with half steps at the end as well and generally making the best of working in a small space.

Yesterday I got my Home Horse and set it up at my work from home space. I find it pretty easy to balance, but do think it will help with alignment. I sat on it for a short bit before leaving for the barn last night, and felt like my spinal alignment was better all evening. Definitely not comfortable enough to sit on the whole work day, but I'll aim for an hour or so to start. It also came with the extension that allows you to attach reins and hold them while "riding" which I haven't tried yet.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:26 pm

I do not really believe in force, I try very hard to persuade the horse it wants to do what my goal is. So I like a horse to sell the contact in side reins.

Having said that having a method where the horse is entirely in charge of the contact is the huge advantage of side reins. I can ask for activity forward and such but the horse can choose how much weight and knows by application where the Release is and is responsible for the release and self carriage. Like anything it can be used incorrectly. I'm making sure Saiph has found the release and she has now found that she actually can be soft of harsh entirely by her own actions. It's been a revelation to her lol.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 am

blob wrote:I have to admit, I HATE working out. I find it boring--even when it's hard. So, I'm trying to do high intensity, short workouts. I've found some 20-30 minute HIIT workouts that I will try to do. They are boring and hard, but at least they are over quickly.

Mee tooooo! I hate exercise! I like it afterwards but doing it... gah. Before I busted my back, I was fast walking and would listen to an audiobook that I liked, so that helped a bit. I have used a treadmill and watched a TV series that I only let myself watch while running on the treadmill. But yep, I struggle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:27 pm

Flight wrote:
blob wrote:I have to admit, I HATE working out. I find it boring--even when it's hard. So, I'm trying to do high intensity, short workouts. I've found some 20-30 minute HIIT workouts that I will try to do. They are boring and hard, but at least they are over quickly.

Mee tooooo! I hate exercise! I like it afterwards but doing it... gah. Before I busted my back, I was fast walking and would listen to an audiobook that I liked, so that helped a bit. I have used a treadmill and watched a TV series that I only let myself watch while running on the treadmill. But yep, I struggle.

I recently discovered I enjoy cycling on a stationary bike that has a view of real places and a cycling trail you watch while you cycle. I'm currently exploring Costa Rica. I have to cycle because it's the only exercise my knee will tolerate. That and walking in water aka the pool

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:54 pm

I really enjoy kick boxing and working with weights. I know, not the norm, but my room mate in college was a body builder and got me into both. She felt I was too committed to running LOL. I've had to cut back on the running due to my knees and hips but I can still pull out a pretty decent 5K.

I had a lesson on Brandon today and though yesterday's ride was less than stellar or so it felt, today he was the bomb. Our SI and half passes were pretty decent as was our medium trots. He was much less fussy in the bridle though it was obvious that I have to be diligent in staying on step ahead of him every minute or he tries to take over. I think 'we' decided that he likes for me to play with the fingers and keep a soft wrist on the left rein and stay steadfast and steady with the right rein. I'm going to experiment a bit this week before the show and see if I can determine exactly what is the right mix. Fortunately (or not) he want's to be ridden off the seat <period>. At least I'm used to that with my (deceased) stallion but then I'm totally used to stallions being prima donnas but that's part of the reason my daughter refers to Brandon as "the princess".

So relieved to report that Junior is recovering well. I'm not riding him yet until we're another week down the road but no more nasal discharge and eating well. I worked him in hand on piaffe and rein back, don't want him trotting or working yet. He was doing pretty darn well if I do say so myself.

They are calling for snow when I have to haul out of here Thursday evening to head back to the Valley. Hopefully I can beat the snow down the mountain ;)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:00 am

I'm so pleased to hear Junior is doing well Exvet!

I'm not a huge fan of exercise for the sake of it, but it does help with the riding so I do it I'm doing a 30 minute standing pilated routine most mornings which I'm finding really helps hugely with my balance and flexibility in the saddle. ("The Girl with The Pilates mat" on youtube.) I need to get back to more regular rebounder workouts too, but my toes have been hurting this winter so that has been tricky. In the summer I get plenty of cross training out in my garden.

A quiet week this week on the riding front. Potters and I both needed to draw breath and Trainer has been off in FLA hanging out at GDF, supporting one of her old students who did her century ride today, at PSG, no less, and doing some work with Jan Ebeling. She will be on a tear next week after all that inspiration, which could prove a little trying!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:35 pm

So glad that Junior is continuing to recover well!

I was able to haul to a bigger indoor on Friday. I wasn't sure how T was going to be given that she was trying to kick me while I was picking out her feet before we left, but she settled in really easily and we had a nice ride including some of the best CC we've gotten on the left lead. Right was not as good, but it was a bit tough to navigate with someone lunging in the middle of the arena and a few other riders. I think she is just getting cranky because it's been too soggy for turnout; she seemed happier after the field trip. Yesterday we had a really solid ride at home. I set up the cavaletti at a slightly shorter distance and once she figured out and let the HH's go through, the BO happened to see and said if the poles were taken away, we'd be showing a pretty decent passage. Otherwise, just working on getting her to connect honestly into both reins and push out from the base of the neck. Left bend is a little wonky through the ribcage right now, but she is letting me work her through it for the most part.

Now I'm sitting at a hotel in Reno getting ready for a professional conference, so she'll be off until Thursday. Friday she gets bodywork, and I'll be trialing a Voltaire jumping saddle, so fingers crossed that will work and I can focus on getting us into a new dressage saddle. Hoping for enough of a dry-out in February that we can get some outdoors riding time. I did go over and check on Obie yesterday and noticed that the outdoor there looked rideable, so I might ask about hauling T over now and then (it's like 2 miles away). It's a smaller arena, but much more level than our outdoor.

The 2024 show dates are coming out, and since I've paid my memberships, I'm considering showing 1st level in early June; usually weather is pretty good around then, and we'd have the rest of the summer to figure out the 2nd level tests.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:04 am

Yay Junior! Exvet why is Brandon unsteady in the contact? I ask with a purpose. I've had opinions from not strong enough, not supple enough, bad bit fit, mouth shape. Tongue shape. What do you think it is? I mean it's a problem lots of us have to solve.

I have an inner ear infection with vertigo so I have not ridden since Tuesday. I cannot recall when last I was so long or if the saddle. But I did spend the time working everyone in hand. Maybe saiph will really benefit.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:20 am

Chisamba wrote:Yay Junior! Exvet why is Brandon unsteady in the contact? I ask with a purpose. I've had opinions from not strong enough, not supple enough, bad bit fit, mouth shape. Tongue shape. What do you think it is? I mean it's a problem lots of us have to solve.

I have an inner ear infection with vertigo so I have not ridden since Tuesday. I cannot recall when last I was so long or if the saddle. But I did spend the time working everyone in hand. Maybe saiph will really benefit.

Hope you get over your vertigo soon Chisamba. I have no real idea or answer in regards to Brandon. I specifically posed this question in the lesson on Saturday. I thought maybe the saddle? though I had no real reason to suspect it. He's not back sore. The saddle does NOT appear to be bridging anywhere. He doesn't really like any bit. He has the highest palate of any horse I've seen in a long time and the bit is NOT a nutcracker type. He would prefer I ride him with seat alone. He's always been fussy and he's a mouth on everything type of horse - busy, busy, busy even in turnout. I will say that he's quieter when he is in balance but he's also quieter when he gets to be in complete control which IS NOT going to happen. Suppling is an issue but no where near as challenging as Junior. His tongue is pretty average in shape/size, maybe more on the thin side. I do have a call into a saddle fitter. Hopefully she'll get back in touch with me ASAP.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:39 pm

oh no, Chisamba--vertigo is awful. I hope the antibiotics start kicking in quickly and you find your equilibrium.

Mountaineer, can't wait to see pics of the burgundy jacket. I don't usually think of shades of reds on chestnuts, but there is a boarder at my barn with a lovely chestnut mare who has almost everything in red or burgundy and it looks smashing.

SF, glad you got a good ride in before your work conference.

Exvet, thank goodness Junior is on the up and up. I'm so impressed that you have Brandon working on HP and medium gaits already. You've really done a great job developing him.

After a very rainy last week and not much riding, I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things. I've also been forcing myself to work out, so I'm in a perpetual state of kind of sore, which I guess is good and sort of the point? Sunday I had really nice rides on both horses, actually. I'm starting to try to get MM a bit more into proper dressage shape--not with any particular goal but most of last year I spent just frolicking around on her and while I love to still have that option, I think it hurt my riding to not be actively working on stuff with her. So, even if we do it in the big XC field, I've been trying to bring in more lateral work, more transitions within gaits, more expectations for her to sit and really use her fanny. Obviously we need to get ourselves back in the fitness for it, but she's such a good girl. I was playing with a bit of canter HP and she just felt so under me that I thought 'what happens if I ask for a half pirouette?' So, I did and while it wasn't perfect, it was a pretty darn good effort and it just felt easy.

RP has also had some good rides. I've been trying to be really thoughtful about our work as to build the right kind of strength. He often feels like he is falling on my left leg/heavier in my left rein, but it's really because he is going around sort of concave to the right. So, when he feels like that more than pushing him off my left leg, I really need to be able to send the right side of his body. It feels counter intuitive at times, but I'm getting better at reminding myself and staying on top of it. On sunday we had some canter work that felt really nice and I also feel like I am slowly slowly slowly starting to improve our right shoulder in. The lateral work is just so hard for him compared to almost any other horse I've worked with and i still believe there is an 'a-ha' to unlock somewhere that will help it click in, but I haven't found it yet

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 am

blob wrote:oh no, Chisamba--vertigo is awful. I hope the antibiotics start kicking in quickly and you find your equilibrium.

Mountaineer, can't wait to see pics of the burgundy jacket. I don't usually think of shades of reds on chestnuts, but there is a boarder at my barn with a lovely chestnut mare who has almost everything in red or burgundy and it looks smashing.

SF, glad you got a good ride in before your work conference.

Exvet, thank goodness Junior is on the up and up. I'm so impressed that you have Brandon working on HP and medium gaits already. You've really done a great job developing him.

After a very rainy last week and not much riding, I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things. I've also been forcing myself to work out, so I'm in a perpetual state of kind of sore, which I guess is good and sort of the point? Sunday I had really nice rides on both horses, actually. I'm starting to try to get MM a bit more into proper dressage shape--not with any particular goal but most of last year I spent just frolicking around on her and while I love to still have that option, I think it hurt my riding to not be actively working on stuff with her. So, even if we do it in the big XC field, I've been trying to bring in more lateral work, more transitions within gaits, more expectations for her to sit and really use her fanny. Obviously we need to get ourselves back in the fitness for it, but she's such a good girl. I was playing with a bit of canter HP and she just felt so under me that I thought 'what happens if I ask for a half pirouette?' So, I did and while it wasn't perfect, it was a pretty darn good effort and it just felt easy.

RP has also had some good rides. I've been trying to be really thoughtful about our work as to build the right kind of strength. He often feels like he is falling on my left leg/heavier in my left rein, but it's really because he is going around sort of concave to the right. So, when he feels like that more than pushing him off my left leg, I really need to be able to send the right side of his body. It feels counter intuitive at times, but I'm getting better at reminding myself and staying on top of it. On sunday we had some canter work that felt really nice and I also feel like I am slowly slowly slowly starting to improve our right shoulder in. The lateral work is just so hard for him compared to almost any other horse I've worked with and i still believe there is an 'a-ha' to unlock somewhere that will help it click in, but I haven't found it yet

Wow Blob it sounds like things are really starting to cook for you. That's terrific. I have found that I probably am more into doing the lateral work and changes of pace/tempo within the gait when I'm riding out in the fields because it's what I need in order to control my little energizer bunny. There's nothing like gentle rolling land to really help get them stronger and better balanced when doing dressage. What you describe with RP seems similar to Brandon but it's his left side. What I've found is that I have to be hypervigilant in feeling each hind leg/foot under each seat bone and if one is behind (often the left) I need to bump him up under my seat by straightening him out. Brandon is definitely one I have to constantly be one step ahead of him at every moment and every stride otherwise he gets bullish or cranky.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:42 pm

I'm just reporting from the barn with no wifi so it may not even post, but super happy with Saiph and Kimba today

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:47 pm

How's the Vertigo, Chisamba?

I had just a lovely ride on Potters yesterday. Understanding my connection issues is really paying off in things like the shoulder in and other lateral work. It's been so worth spending the time on the basics to backfill my problem areas. And he's much happier now I've actually taken charge of the ride, too.

Beautiful day today and I'm working, not riding. Sigh. Back to cold and snowy by the end of the week. But the winter is slipping by and I'm excited to see what the summer will bring!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:39 am

Much better thx, Moutaineer. I could have written what you wrote. It's really laid off to address the connection issues and back fill all the errors. Now on adding topsail and planting flowers.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:18 pm

Glad to read that you're doing better Chisamba. Like Moutaineer our weather that last several days has been wonderful. I've had to work the last couple of days as well as today, then I load the horses tonight after work and head down the mountain hoping to beat the wet weather headed our way. After a date with the farrier tomorrow morning, I'll be heading to the show with Brandon. Hoping for better than predicted weather and a horse who wants to please. We'll see which one shows up at the venue with me ;)

Yesterday, really the last couple of days have been a total bummer. On Tuesday I euthanized 3 geriatric animals owned by different families. It was definitely their time but the one that affected me most was a woman, my age, whose husband had just filed for divorce. She was being forced to move back the the Valley (today actually) and she brought in her 15 year old senile Schnauzer. There was no question it was his time; but, this was her first and only dog. I guess she had only owned cats prior and she was deeply bonded to this guy. She was so emotional. Another example of when I do what I can to make sure that the owner isn't forced to face it all alone but unfortunately she didn't have anyone close to her in the area; so, I had her call her sister in the Valley and keep her on the phone to help talk her safely home. She was so distraught with so much grief which was compounded by the grief from losing her marriage she just sobbed asking me to make the decision for her. I explained to her that while the decision had to be hers I could not only tell that it was time but if she thought back over the last week or two had her dog experienced more good days than bad? She quickly replied no and then gave permission. This case hit me hard and as I drove home I realized that my 18+ year old dog, Linus hadn't reached the exact same stage in his decline but was so very close. So I asked myself the same question of Linus and knew it was time. I called one of my colleagues and asked her if she would help me because it was time that I followed my own advice. I got up yesterday morning and of course Linus perks up with the rest of the dogs to go outside (something I've had to rouse him to do and then help him to the door). He took his multiple medications like a champ but he has always done this and then he ate. Over the last week he hasn't been as willing to eat or even finish his food. I thought, geesh, he's rallying around again. This scrappy little guy had already defied so much but I knew it was still time due to his multiple diseases he was dealing with and none were curable. When I checked on the dogs after feeding the horses he had thrown up all of his breakfast; so, I at least didn't feel as guilty taking him with me to work. Being extremely senile, he was a bit agitated when my colleague helped me let him go; but, I know he is in a better place now with great company. My colleague was unaware of his age and asked me, "so was he about 14?" I explained that no, he was over 18 and I was sure because he was payment for his mother's C-section that I performed. RIP to one of the best JRTs I've ever had. I am sad but relieved that he didn't look as deteriorated to my colleague as so many who it this stage of their aging. He didn't have much quality of life over the last week or two and I chose to let him go when I knew it wasn't in my power to reverse anything going on with him. He had congestive heart failure which was managed relatively well, early renal failure, also well managed, was blind due to cataracts and deaf but the development of tooth root abscesses made me realize that due to his other underlying conditions I could not resolve this without putting him under anesthesia and the last thing I was going to do was let him suffer while his teeth decayed and caused him issues with eating, thus slowly starving to death. The point is that I do NOT regret putting him down a day too early vs. a day too late. He was spunkier than he had been but not really improving. Sometimes medical knowledge helps but it still sucks.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:52 pm

I'm sorry ExVet, sounds like a very rough couple of days. It sounds like Linus had a great life to you to make it to such a ripe old age.

I missed the nice weather, now I'm back it is going to be warm and blustery today, and then start cooling off and raining. I have a Voltaire Stuttgart jumping saddle coming on trial tomorrow, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get a few practice jumps in despite the weather. Hoping this one will work because the shop will take my current jumping saddle in on trade, which saves plenty of headache.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:39 pm

I'm sorry, exvet. Right decisions are not always easy ones.

Well, Potters was a complete and utter pratt today. I dont think I've ever seen him be so stupid. Fortunately, Justin had hopped on him for a quick warm up before I was to get on, so he got the wild ride.

I think I know what was going on, though. I'd put him on a fairly large dose of hydroxyzine for yet another round of
hives. I think it made him see dead people. So I cut the dosage way back and we will see how he is tomorrow. Doesn't help that there was someone in the barn who gives of really negative energy and makes him and several other horses very uncomfortable, (I do know how woo ithat sounds) and a cold wind bringing in a big storm front

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:14 am

I'm so sorry, Exvet. Making that call is never easy.

We lost one of the oldsters at my barn this morning too. He was a sassy boy to the end.

I get it Mountaineer. Both of my mares can be super reactive to certain people, mainly a certain vet.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:11 am

Exvet. I am sorry. It is tough. I empathize because I had a similar situation with Sharon. While I was advising my friends with their geriatric horses I realized I wasn't following my own advice. It's not any easier . I simply send you sympathy.

Return to “Dressage Training”