I rold you so ..

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I rold you so ..

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm

We seem to have been ignoring the drama associated with videos released of rollkur lunging and bungee cord training.

I have long long expressed the opinion that bungee cords were used to enhance front leg action in certain dutch horses. Interesting that it's finally been caught on video albeit in the USA.

It is saddening. The last two clinicians have warned me about polo wraps which I think is ridiculous, and almost any use of the whip and now I see why. The a$$holes are ruining it for the regular riders.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: I rold you so ..

Postby Tanga » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:27 pm

It's everywhere, so I haven't been jumping in. Those horrendous videos explain a lot of what we see in the "top" horses. I'm sure most are not abused to that degree, but the fact that we see SO many "top horses" doing the leg snapping, double tapping "piaffe and passage" without actual sitting, and big flinging front legs with no overtrack behind says lot. The problem is, these horses are winning, so nothing is going to change unless that changes.
Last edited by Tanga on Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:56 pm

Chisamba what's the caution about polos for?

If this is re the CP videos, I'm shocked not shocked that people are shocked. When I was still hauling regularly, I picked a horse up that had been training with CP and had been flown out to CA. I remember thinking oh yikes, how fried is this horse going to be because there was a big hubbub at the time and that was *at least* 7 years ago.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:50 pm

Tanga wrote:I'm sure most are abused to that degree

Do you mean that you're sure most are NOT abused to that degree? I doubt CP is the only one, but I certainly believe most top riders are NOT doing anything to that degree.

I think a lot of the leg flinging is bred, not trained. A lot of the modern dressage bred youngsters naturally have so much shoulder freedom and suspension that they can do something that very closely resembles passage and extended trot without having to have all the building blocks in place.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:06 pm

Quelah wrote:Chisamba what's the caution about polos for?

The Netherlands have banned polo wraps on competition grounds on the basis of a study that claims they heat the leg to a potentially damaging level. It is assumed the FEI will follow suit.

IMHO it's a dumb pretense of caring for the horse while allowing their to riders to practice abusive training methods, but that is just my opinion.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 pm

Yeah, we can ban polo wraps but still think using a running W as a training device is A-OK?

I love dressage. I still believe that the vast majority of participants do remember and respect why they got into it in the first place--the love of the horse.

The governing bodies just suck. The FEI makes Fifa look like a church picnic. Its embarassing.

In some ways, I hope we do get tossed out of the Olympics.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 pm

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 am

I refuse to watch the videos. I skimmed the thread on ToB but over 500 posts is too much. I’m glad these abusers are getting busted. But how many more are there?

Return to “Dressage Training”