In like a lion, out like a lamb - March and April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

In like a lion, out like a lamb - March and April Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:01 pm

Seemed like an appropriate title since we're supposed to get 55 mph gusts tonight. I can hope for more lamb-like weather soon enough!

Starting this period off with a bang - lessons Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
See how T responds to her 30 day Esomeprazole trial. If no major change, in April we'll do a Robaxin trial, all coupled with bodywork as much as possible.
Riding-wise, try to start jumping again on a regular basis. Weekly might be too ambitious, but let's say 5x.
More focus on developing all of the second level movements. Reinback, simple changes, ToH and CC specifically.

Me -
Keep hitting the gym.
Use my HH at least 30 minutes on work days.
Don't eat like a trash panda.
I'm starting a long-term detail that will probably be pretty intense, so I'm keeping it simple until I see which way my work/life balance is going to tip.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Re: In like a lion, out like a lamb - March and April Goals and Progress

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:39 am

I'm back in town Saturday, Maia has bodywork Sunday, then I'm gone again Thursday – Sunday, and Friday – Wednesday, and suddenly there's only a handful of days left in the month. Oh. Yeah. And we're on the move again, likely leaving Texas by this summer ;)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:19 am

I'm going to be spending March getting ready for April.

I'm riding with Mette the second weekend in April, which I'm excited about. It's been a while. I'm toying with the idea of a schooling show the following weekend, but we will see what the weather is doing and whether its going to be inside or outside. I have no desire whatsoever to show indoors at that particular facility.

With any luck we should be able to ride outside by the end of March. That will make us both very happy. Incredibly grateful as I am for our nice indoor with its excellent footing and mirrors, I'm over it and need some space and fresh air!

So, as to what we will be actually be working on... I think I could sum it up as more precision from both of us, in terms of both the movements and just the overall look and feel of how we work together.

And there's that 5lbs, of course....

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:57 am

Jan and Feb were not very productive for us. I was on holiday halfway through Jan, then sporadic riding, then a broken car for a few weeks and I couldn't ride, then sporadic riding, now away again and returning home this weekend.

So March will just be a fight for consistent saddle time and focus on fitness work for both of us.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:39 pm

My eyes are set on June. That is when our next recognized show is which I plan to attend. We have one in Tucson in a couple of weeks but I don't plan to drive for 4 hours for disappointment or to find out what I already know. I hope to ride Junior in fourth level and Branfon at second level in June so lots to work on and prepare. After this weekend I have weekly lessons scheduled with the gal that comes up from Phoenix. I also have an equine focused Pilates clinic in a couple of weekends which will help define better the goals I have for myself. Our first schooling show isn't until May so I should have ample time to figure out with each horse my development plan with the end goal in mind.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:49 pm

Like Exvet, I am thinking about/looking ahead to our next show, which will likely fall in June. There are options in April and May, but it's looking like I might be traveling when they happen. But here are some goals for the mean time....

Me
Continue to workout at home
Continue to find time/ways to ride as work gets busy
Eat healthy
Continue to log/track my rides in journal

MM
Keep fitness/consistent riding going
Jump more
Focus more on real dressage work, not just frolicking around
But also continue to frolic around!

RP
Make a decision about shoes
Continue target rehab/strength building work
Use poles more regularly
Re-introduce cantering up hills
Continue to really work on the lateral work
Organize and plan for more shows

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:14 pm

heddylamar wrote:I'm back in town Saturday, Maia has bodywork Sunday, then I'm gone again Thursday – Sunday, and Friday – Wednesday, and suddenly there's only a handful of days left in the month. Oh. Yeah. And we're on the move again, likely leaving Texas by this summer ;)

Where are you headed, Heddy?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:56 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Where are you headed, Heddy?

We're headed back to Maryland ;) Lots of fabulous memories, friends, and in-laws in Maryland, but we lived there too damn long for this military brat! I was absolutely loving the dry heat and sun of San Antonio, and was looking forward to moving somewhere else entirely ... like further north/west. Or even a whole new country. Then the DH shifted roles and the new job requires returning to the DC/Baltimore area. Hmph.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:26 pm

Wow, back across the country again. There are definitely pros and cons to new adventures vs. going back to a place you know so well.

Good first lesson yesterday. We had EVERY kind of weather, and I was concerned that it was going to get to windy to even ride in the indoor, but it settled enough that the building wasn't creaking and making T think we were about to fly off to Oz.

For the warmup we did small circles really pushing the IH under, and changing directions to loosen up, then stretchy trot working to poke the nose and and eventually trying (with not a ton of success) to keep the frame in and out of the canter. After that we upped the connection in the trot, with some T/H transitions, first thinking medium in the up transition, and then thinking passage trot in the up transition. Next was straightening in the canter, keeping SI and shifting to baby renvers to capture the IH, LY in on the circle and keeping the outside rein as we came back out. On the right lead this resulted in a few strides that were really collected towards pirouette canter, and we ended with a really nice canter HP as if she's been doing it for ages. My instructor had a good laugh when I exclaimed "Oh, my baby is growing up!" :D

I just found out Leslie Morse is coming back in April, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get some ride spots with her.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:31 pm

Heddy ugh another move. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

SF yeah! Glad T is developing well. It’s definitely been a journey for you.

Me this go around first and foremost is safe foaling with healthy foal. Jingling and jingling. Always a bit worried. Gaila is inching closer. Maybe this week? Her due date 345 was yesterday.

Joplin is try to sort this saddle thing out. PH supposed to be guaranteed to fit we will see. I do have another solution for my hildago dressage saddle to try. Straighten the leather tree. Who knows!! I did try my friends Black country she had made for Juliet. It actually fit pretty well but was not right for me.

Maybe another BC? I liked my Vinici I had that did not work for Joplin as a young horse but she’s changed so much…of course I sold it.

I’m supposed to host WE clinic but struggling to fill it. Cedar in early April then vacation late April.

I need to ride in the double
FCs
CH
CP?
Piaffe
Caveletti
Maybe a schooling show in April

Me 15 lbs need gone! Slowing down with the weight loss. Need to add more weight training.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:54 pm

Two more good lessons yesterday and today; that should really set the tone for the next two months. We really upped the ante on connection and bend this morning; I worked up a pretty good sweat even though it was 25F. We were working on trot SI to E, 10m circle, then HI to the corner, and T kept insisting on canter for the volte. So we seem to have the 10m canter circles in our repertoire. Needing to access the bend and setup for HP more, but it's definitely coming. Towards the end we were even able to access a few steps of baby passage. I think right now we both just need to work on the strength and fitness to work at this level of engagement, so that will be the focus through April. Medium trots were lackluster, but I'm sure those will improve when we can get back outside.

Lessons again at the end of the month, and I got on the list for two rides with Leslie in April.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:59 pm

I've been mulling things over and just feeling a bit in a weird place after a lesson yesterday. We've taken a few lessons with this trainer and she stays for the winter so has been good to get eyes on the ground but will crowd source people's thoughts. While I appreciate her eye for things she can tend to have a warm-up expectation that goes against what I'm used to. For me and Kora I use the warm-up to rock through the paces, gymnastize her body with forward and back, get her in front of the leg and baby lateral suppling before moving onto bigger and more asks in the 2nd/3rd sets of the ride. Yesterday we did about 2 circuits of the arena in trot and trainer was asking for 1st level stretchy trot nose all the way out and down. Which is fine, but for Kora unachievable in that moment. We spent a decent amount of time on a smaller circle trying to get the neck very far down and out until she relented to me asking to canter her and get her back able to stretch.

Curious what others think on this. I can't tell if this is a meh, not for me or is it something Kora can't do but we should work toward being able to do because she can't.

Beyond that clouding my pondering, here's my goals

Section Goals:
3rd 3 - start working the trot and canter tours
Flying changes - Smooth the left to right, sharpen the right to left
More bend without head tilt in the half-pass
Lesson w/Trainer back from Florida in April and get work plan
Schooling show or 2 in April?

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:46 pm

Aleuronx All I can say is you know your horse best. For Junior I absolutely have to start slow and first ask for him to connect to the hand even if I'm giving him a lot of rein. I also must start in the 'pony' trot and build up to really motivating him to move forward and over the back. I do this at the trot and canter after I've gotten him to relax (blow out his nose) with the pony trot and many, many changes of direction just loosening him up. Once I get him moving over his back with forward and back I start leg yields and then on to more 'mature' lateral work. It's only then I can really ask for what I plan to 'train' on that day. I'll give a clinician, if it's my first time riding with them, a pass but once the honeymoon is over, I dictate the warm up.

Brandon is a little different. I have to also start him with establishing his contact in each rein and then will almost immediately do many, many circles of varying sizes in varying trot tempos. He likes to takeover and dictate so I will go slow - walk, halt, 10 meter circle et al when he wants to take over the tempo (energizer bunny). I ride and change directions at the drop of the hat (without putting him out of balance) and then go rather quickly to canter leg yields to get him to relax over his back.......then I can start to train. I will take Brandon long and low in the gaits but that comes after I've established his respect and willingness to give the reins and stay on the seat. Different horses, different approaches and after getting an absolutely lovely ride from Brandon today after a couple of grrrrrr......type of rides I think I know my horse best ;)

I was taught by German trainers who really enforced loosening up the horse first and establishing the ability to get forward by coming from behind and only then do you start your lesson plan or training session. Junior can't really stretch all the way down and out until he's had ample warm up and for Brandon he can but doing so early in a ride before establishing 'the rules' isn't always the best way to tune into his brain along with gymnasticizing his body. It actually can have quite the opposite effect.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 am

Monday Funday!

Monday morning training sessions after a weekend off, particularly a cold and very snowy weekend, can be challenging in more ways than one. Just getting away from my desk and off the phone and getting in the saddle can be tough enough, and then there's that creaky human with the hot and very fresh horse thing going on. But we got it together today (after a small and very predictable freak out about our trainer sweeping the deck while we were passing. Ignore, ignore, ignore...)

Our trot work after our canter work was really pleasurable. Forward through the movements, which can be a challenge for us as he has tended to peter out in the shoulder in and half pass given even half a chance. So it was a delight to be able to pull off a long side of SI in a forward and metronome-like fashion and then take that into a half-way decent half pass. It's one of the missing pieces of the puzzle for us and it's making me very happy to work this out!

The collected canter and FCs are coming along very nicely, too. We've always had a reliable flying change, but now to make it have pizazz, and not die in the process... Yet again, more connection, more happy forward, is doing the trick, as is his much greater muscle mass, fitness and stamina--and respect for me as a rider as I finally start putting the puzzle pieces together.

As far as the warm-up goes, really all horses are such individuals, and you know your horse best. Laddie was at his happiest and most supple if I'd walked for half an hour before I started doing anything else, then slowly eased into the rest of the work. Potters, on the other hand, needs to go into the arena, walk for a few minutes and then go straight to work, otherwise he gets bored and distracted. He's far happier having a solid 25 minute workout with very brief walk breaks than dragging it out to 45 minutes. I can respect that, but it's quite the aerobic challenge for me!

I'd be interested to see if the trainer tries this exercise again with you, Aleuaronx, or whether she's going to write it off as one that doesn't work for you. Do you have the kind of relationship where you can discuss that? I know we try things sometimes and go "Nope. Let's not do that again," and that's fine. A bit frustrating if you feel like you've just wasted half a precious lesson trying something that doesn't work out, but at least you both have learned something you didn't know about your horse, which may color future training approaches.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:33 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Yesterday we did about 2 circuits of the arena in trot and trainer was asking for 1st level stretchy trot nose all the way out and down. Which is fine, but for Kora unachievable in that moment. We spent a decent amount of time on a smaller circle trying to get the neck very far down and out until she relented to me asking to canter her and get her back able to stretch.

Curious what others think on this. I can't tell if this is a meh, not for me or is it something Kora can't do but we should work toward being able to do because she can't.

At the Masterclass last fall, one of Carl H's things was to really work the stretch at the END of the ride, because, he said, what you get at the end you'll eventually get at the beginning. So that is the way I've been going on improving T's stretch, and it seems to be working. At the beginning she also often needs some transitions, and changes of bend (BTW, Carl was still using serpentines in the stretchy trot, not just having riders motor around the rail. With T, we do ask for some stretch in the warmup, but it's the amount she can produce, and definitely with change of bend and moving through other gaits because she needs that to sharpen up and loosen up in the back.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:57 pm

Aleuronx, while I do think it would be ideal for a horse to be able to do a correct and true stretchy trot at the beginning of the ride, not every horse will be able to do that right away and some may never be able to do it for various reasons. It could be worth trying to see if this is something you can achieve with this trainer. Or if there are other benefits you are getting from the trainer you can also warm-up BEFORE the lesson to ensure you get the warm up you need in order to do the work the trainer will expect of you. Even when my lessons include a 'warm-up' i always warm-up my horses some independently before i enter because I know what they and I need.

For example, MM is useless, truly useless, until I canter. A lot of trainers will start the lesson in the walk and trot and not all of them are open to me saying "i really just need to get up in two point and canter once around each way". So, I do that before my ride and show up in the arena ready to do whatever they want to me to do and warm-up other aspects of her.

RP, meanwhile really wants/needs to start the warm-up in a nose down and out stretch trot. So, I make sure I do that because not every trainer will include that in their warm-up. So, I make sure he gets some of that before we get into the arena.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:23 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy, at least for this. I completely agree different warm-ups for different horses and I'm certainly not afraid to say I don't think this is working for us. Without being cruel as I do appreciate her eye and help, she's more of a winter supplement then everyday trainer at least for us. Not that I'm in a full training program to being with, too much of a free spirit anyway.

Funny you should mention Hester SF as she referenced his last symposium for this as well. I didn't attend this one but when he was here a few years prior, and definitely highlighted the basics as they moved up the levels. Completely in agreement that I'm not interested in riding the tricks if the basics are poor but I also want to give my horse a chance at being able to stretch over the back by allowing those muscles to warm-up first. I'm wondering if this is my German approach background of forward and straight at odds with stretch from the start. And goodness knows the brain needs some tuning first as Kora can be sharp and this trainer has yet to see the fireworks on that end as I've perfected her management at this point.

Very much appreciate everyone's perspective and warm-up thoughts. I'm willing to see if this is another road to Rome for us for a bit and will likely sign up for next clinic in a few weeks to see how it goes. Agreed blob that I'd prefer to get a warmup in before lesson but was first ride of the day this time and didn't leave enough buffer as she arrived early and ready to go.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:51 am

Boy she would not like my warm up! I usually do lateral work in hand first or at least get on and do lateral work in the walk. We do stretch a bit in the walk but go to the trot and lateral work moving pretty quickly through the different movements. Cedar last clinic had me thinking piaffe walk in warmup to get Joplin’s hind legs quicker. Joplin stretches easily anytime I ask but she does best if we work in collected work first to keep the engagement. She easily goes forward anytime in fact that’s her preference put the power on. I’ve got to work to keep her from overtaking in her power which is why we concentrate on collection.

I’ve also worked with Jillian Kreinbring who wants the riders to get the postural muscles working before the global muscles. Lateral work is good for the postural muscles. Just a different approach one I’ve used since I first started working with Mark Russell in 2006. Cedar is very similar in her approach. We do stretch but it’s during the work not at the beginning.

Interesting note. Riding in Portugal they never had us stretch. We did lots and lots of lateral work. Those horses were some of the nicest to sit on. Lusitanos of course!

Aleuronx you know your horse best. I would stick to what has worked for Kora.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:31 am

My warmups have always been very horse dependent, and most of my trainers have wanted to see what I do (and possibly tweak) v. replace wholesale.

Our offer on a house in Maryland was accepted :D Fingers crossed this all goes as easily as the move to Texas! Considering that this is my 20+ something move — and that's after being in the same house for nearly 20 years in Maryland until we moved two years ago — I think one of us has it down to a science :lol:

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:35 pm

congrats, Heddy! I hope the rest of the moving process goes smoothly as well. Have you found a barn?

We've had a LOT of rain to kick-off our March. Enough that even on days when it's not actively raining, everything is too wet for real riding. The past weekend involved a lot of walk-only hacks on slightly squishy (but not terrible ground), but more rain yesterday, today, and again Friday and Saturday might have me out of real saddle time for awhile.

In other news, I think I have decided to try shoes on RP. I want to start with hinds only this cycle and then add in fronts after that. My farrier is hesitant/not convinced this is the right move. But after his canter has been so good at home and then we went to the show and it just felt like he couldn't get his hind legs stable under him, I do think we might have reached a point where he needs more support and stability behind. And if the hind shoes make no difference, I can always pull before we put holes in the front feet.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:41 pm

blob wrote:congrats, Heddy! I hope the rest of the moving process goes smoothly as well. Have you found a barn?

Sort of? I'm on two wait lists. One is too far now, and the other is a bit quirky ... I need to decide how quirky is too quirky for me. I'll be back in two weeks, and hope to look at three more places then.

My old barn owner retired :|

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:37 am

Foal watch. Jingles please! 350 days. Gaila is close. First night sleeping at the barn. See if she goes tonight or if a get a couple of nights “rest” on the cot.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 am

Good luck with your foal Khall! Pics mandatory :D

Had such a nice jumping lesson on Tuesday, where I was actually more effective than a frightened sack of potatoes :lol:

This morning with my dressage instructor, we focused so much on mobility of Odin's left hind. We've been working it more in a therapy-type of approach. The left hind is stiffer and less active than the right, and just putting more and more left leg and spur on for the lateral work just makes it even worse, especially in the trot.

So we worked on walk leg yields to the right, with my instructor encouraging from the ground with the whip. We focus on long, sweeping steps with the left hind. Then into SI when we hit the wall, also with long, confident steps of the left hind under the body. When he gains some confidence in moving that leg, we move into one or two slow but reaching trot LY (still with assistance from the ground). And then we finish off with some HP work, still to the same side.

It's a bit laborious, but it's really been paying off. He doesn't have a lot of airtime in the trot to move sideways in the HP, so working on confidence and mobility in the less able hindleg has resulted in more willingness and "sweep" in the HP. So grateful to my instructor, who has never in all my years with her just told me "more leg!". She really focuses on my body position, and the horse's actual ability and confidence to do the task.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:55 pm

heddylamar wrote: the other is a bit quirky ... I need to decide how quirky is too quirky for me.

Gosh, I'm dying to know now what makes it so quirky!

Khall, jingling for a safe delivery and healthy foal. Can't wait for pictures

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:37 pm

heddylamar-you'll be near me, welcome home!! If I can find anything out for you or help out, let me know.

Had a busy few months that included 2 trips and covid and too much work, so I've been away.

I want to ride my horse. We removed the spot on his girth and are waiting for it to close up so we've been lunging a few times a week and doing some lateral stuff in hand. Not the past month or so I was thinking I would have.

I am riding a friend's horse now and he is coming along. He totally beat me up our first ride, pulled the heck outta me, but I pulled back. So after a great lesson, we are back on the right track, he's really learning, and we have another lesson on Sunday. He is not easy but is getting easier. His owner had a great lesson last night so that's encouraging. I don't do well with long breaks so I'm really thankful I have him to play with. Hoping to ride Mikey next week.

Planning to show 2-1 and 2-2 while we work on his changes and half passes.

Pic of my friend's horse and our lesson for fun.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-03 3.57.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-03 3.57.35 PM.png (197.07 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Screenshot 2024-03-04 8.21.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 8.21.06 AM.png (160.75 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Screenshot 2024-03-04 8.23.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 8.23.38 AM.png (213.97 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:54 pm

Got a lesson on each of the boys yesterday. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. The contrast between my two is becoming more and more noticeable. Junior was uninspired for the first third of my lesson but I was eventually able to get him in front of my leg and keeping with my seat. I was told that my collected canter was more consistent and he was able to maintain it for much longer periods of time. I then discussed with the instructor my specific challenges with the flying change and Junior's conviction to the thought that he can't push and carry/engage at the same time. So I've been working on passage in order to get the light bulb to go off. Well we were given a green light on our attempts at passage. She said he was definitely finding his 'bounce' and though a baby passage a definite difference in gait, phew another win.

Brandon on the other hand was totally tense and wanting to take over throughout the entire lesson. I was able to get him to loosen his back after the first 15 minutes or so and just rode him with a ton of transitions, millions of changes of direction, changing the tempo every several strides and end less lateral work..............it was funny in that because I was just pulling exercises out of my backside when I decided to do some trot half-pass my instructor was amazed at how well (and show worthy) they were done. Frankly I surprised him and instead of becoming more emotional and taking over he just flowed. I was able to get his back to free up by doing a stretchy circle here and there and canter plies. There was definitely something 'in the air'. I always ride Brandon after my friend rides her lovely but somewhat challenging PSG Dutch warmblood. She imported him just over a year ago and is considering selling him. He's very inconsistent and frequently tense. Every time she has a rather contentious lesson, it seems that Brandon picks up on the vibe and I end up with a similar lesson. It was too bad because the day before Brandon was actually listening to me really well and gave a very nice ride. The only thing I can say in having 'such a lesson' is I'm finding a warm up plan or developing a warm up plan to be able handle the same at the shows. This coming weekend I'm riding here at our place and not at my friends so I hope the same issues don't develop. My friend doesn't want to haul the mile over here (phew) so I'll get to ride him after another friend's lesson whose horse is a real steady eddie.

Junior turns 10 later this week. Hard for me to believe and though I kind of wish he had some of that 'fire' that Brandon possesses so glad in more ways than one that he doesn't - Brandon's attitude in Junior's body would probably have me consider a new hobby ;)

Fingers crossed khall that you have an uneventful foaling and don't lose too much sleep. How I remember those days :)

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:33 pm

Exvet--it's interesting to have two that are so different, but also valuable. I know I am a better rider because MM and RP are so different. Both lessons sound interesting and productive. To avoid the 'tense air' from the PSG gelding could you ride Brandon first and then Junior?

Riding has continued to be patchy due to weather. This time of year is pretty tircky without a covered down south. But I have been getting some saddle time. Yesterday, I set up poles for both of mine--raised walking poles, regular trot poles, and raised trot poles. MM was a star cruising through all of it with great suspension and rhythm--focused and forward. I was able to mix it up by doing transitions just before or after the poles and LY/HP to the poles and after them. RP did well with the raised walking poles and regular trot poles--he felt stronger over the trot poles than he did last time i set them up. But he really struggled with the raised trot poles. We might need to do more work to build up to them.

IN general though, he has been feeling consistently stronger and his canter has been feeling really good at home. I am still thinking I will try the shoes, i do feel like he struggles on changing terrain and shoes should help with that. But I keep waffling back and forth some. The farrier comes Wednesday, so I am trying to make a solid decision in time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:25 pm

Fingers crossed for an uneventful foaling, Khall!

Just chugging along here. Actually, that's not entirely true. Last week was a week of really good and productive rides and so was this morning. It's all simple stuff but focusing on quality and correctness--those things like making sure you don't stifle a shoulder in by slowing down and fiddling around as you go into it... know what you are going to do, set it up well in advance and then have the confidence to just do it. More up, more forward, bigger, but without pushing Potters' "I'm going to lose my mind" button, which is a delicate balance at times!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:28 pm

And I meant to add, Chantal, you look great. What a nice-looking horse!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:42 pm

Exvet, it sounds like Brandon and T are in a pretty similar place right now. One minute a basic transition is hard, the next, voila, a lovely HP.

I've just ordered all the stuff to try glue on shoes. I'm going with the EasyCare Versa Flex for now, and will try my hand at welding on the cuffs. There is so much to consider, I spent about half the weekend researching options, and still have more to think about if I keep going down this path. However, I had a couple rides last week that made me think it's what T needs for a little more traction and support on her hinds, and I'm loathe to give her a lift behind without an equal lift in the front even though I'm not going with one of the thicker composites.

This morning I hauled to the big indoor to ride before work. Got a lot more done with just two other adult riders vs. bumper cars when we were there last week. The two struggles we had were HP left (which was really nice in a lesson last week), and then CC on the right lead. I was able to HP towards the mirrors though, and felt the trot and canter HP right were 3rd level-worthy. To the left we almost got it, but lost the haunches after a few strides. Also verified that the ToH is improving a lot; it's really tricky to keep her moving without taking big steps and stepping out, but she is getting the idea. Medium trot wasn't really there either, but the footing was pretty firm. I'll also be curious to see if that powers up with the shoes. We have one more storm coming through tomorrow, then it looks like we'll be on a warming/drying trend, so I'm hoping to be riding outside next weekend!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:15 am

Blob, I choose to ride Junior first because he really needs the cooler ride times/temps. There have been times where I rode Brandon after my friend's prickly personality horse and we both had great rides. It's apparent they tend to feed off of each other but I can get that at shows too. One way or another Brandon and I have to work through our 'issues'. One thing is for sure, he is a horse that wants to be ridden by seat and seat alone. I believe if I continue to work within those preferences with a playful light feel, I can likely get him past this. Some of it is his maturity level (somewhat lacking). I will admit that I've caved yet again and broke down and ordered a new bit. We'll see if it's the nirvana it claims to be.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:24 pm

I've been reading and watching all your journeys. Rooting for you all and love reading!

I haven't been riding as I'm still not totally healed from my car accident in December but I'm close!! My trainer has been lightly riding him and then I just do a bunch of ground work still.

But Lynx seems to be doing good. He has a vet check on Thursday to see how's he doing. Fingers crossed.

He's a pretty good egg. There's some young horses at the barn right now and as I see them rearing and striking and just being little boogers, I'm pretty thankful for him. He's definitely matured the last year. He'll officially be six in June.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:44 am

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0861553573

Gaila here at 355. Sigh. She’s in no hurry. Very laid back about this pregnancy stuff. No drama mamma

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Khall, are horses ever induced? If so, typically around when? We have a pregnant mare at this barn who is over a week past her due date. And a neighboring farm, also has one that is always early, who is now late, must be something in the air!

Well, we put shoes on RP on Wednesday (just front to start) and he was decent for shoeing given it was likely his first time with them. But our first ride with them (Thursday) was awful. He felt really uncoordinated and uncomfortable. It's a shame because rides have been going really well, now shoes, and a mess. It's making me really second guess the decision even though the vet did find that he was foot sore. So, maybe he just needs more time to adjust, or maybe he needs all 4 to feel balanced. And now rain rain rain so it'll be at least a couple days before I can do any real riding. Sigh.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:55 pm

My mares all went well over their due date ~ usually would foal around 350+ days. Keeping fingers crossed khall.

We're in for a week of wet weather so not sure how much riding we'll get done but I just received Junior's new double bridle. Bought it through my Welsh Cob grape vine from someone who has never taken it out of the bag. So hoping it's going to fit. I can at least try that on today even if the rain keeps our training goals a bit curtailed this week end.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:53 pm

Wow, khall. That is big mare and a a long time. I was so lucky Sora was like a clock--337 days for both and I knew, so I invited people. 355 is a lot.

It seems spring here (I might have just cursed it) but I think we're past the deep mud phase no matter what. Wind has really dried everything out. Girls are doing super well and thinking towards the first show, which is end of April. I think Quinn will do very well at GP, and it should be entertaining to watching my new leasor ride Quilla at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. (She's going to get her bronze.) I told her unless she falls off, she should be safe, though she's working hard on feeling that right hip she she can get a left leg yield.

BTW, mom progress. Since half sibling sister spent all the money, sold my father's house and bought a new one without a 401 c, so massive taxes and debt, was only paying interest on credit credit, she's in deep shit. So my sister took any paperwork she had as POA and a family member is taking over as POA and all money, we're selling that house to pay off debt in the next few months, mom is coming back here close to me and half brother (I will find a suitable two bedroom apt.) where half sibling sister has to be her 24/7 caretaker and then has year to be independent and pay all her expenses, because I think that's an optimistic estimate of how long she can last before needing a much higher level of care.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:53 pm

Ulani is here!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0861553573

Absolutely enormous palomino filly with white I think on all 4 feet and star small strip and snip. She is blinged out! But my god she’s huge!! No wonder Gaila was so big. It was a birth that absolutely had to have intervention. That foal was not coming otherwise just too big. It took DH and I both pulling and a friend catching because Gaila foaled standing up. Thank goodness we were all there but no more babies for Gaila! She makes them too big. Ulani is her name has to be U for registry. It’s Hawaiian and means bright/light hearted. She came at 12:20 am but I knew yesterday she was coming when I brought Gaila in from the field. Baby is strong with fabulous legs. Gaila is a stupendous mom. Whoop! She’s finally here at 358 days gestation.

Blob inducing is rarely done in mares. Its best to let nature takes its course. There is such a wide range of foaling gestation from 315 to over a year. I had one born at 330 and Ulani the longest at 358. The udder development usually tells me when they are coming. Gaila was dripping white milk yesterday when she came in and was very agitated. My 330 though born out of Joplin’s grand dam also first foal gave no indication she was having it. Checked on her at 11 pm nothing and friend checked at 1 am foal was up dry and galloping around the stall. So while udder development does help you gauge it is not always reliable. Maiden mares especially. Now mares do tend to have trends with multiple foals but not always!

I love the babies. I love teaching them from day 1. Lani has already worn a halter and “led” out to the paddock today. I do the lead wrap around the body technique. I just can’t get over how big she is though. I’m 5’7” and her back comes up to my waist. Gaila is 15.2 Saphiro is 15.3 Lani is a throwback to her Hanoverian genes. Rip is her uncle she’s as big if not taller than he was when he was born. I prefer 15.2/15.3! Not 16.2. Ah well.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 pm

Ahh!! Congrats khall, she looks perfect. Beautiful name to boot. Glad it sounds like everyone is happy and healthy now. Very much looking forward to hearing all the upcoming foal shenanigans.

We are getting teased with false spring with a few early rides in the outdoor between mega rainstorms. I'm not complaining and will take any opportunity to stretch our legs in a larger space. Current state of Flying Change Hell: right change is now better/more consistent than the left change. I think that means we are getting somewhere :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing how that progresses once we get back in the outdoor more consistently.

In the nerd front Kora had a BioThermo microchip inserted at round one of spring shots last week. She missed the switch from KWPN-NA branding to micro-chipping by a year and will need one for USEF in 2025. I purchased a scanner and it's been super interesting to chart her temperature pre and post rides and recovery with just a blip of the scan. I'm curious to see how it changes in warmer summer temps. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:06 pm

Congratulations khall! and good job Gaila! You have another really cute one there.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:43 am

Oooh. Keep the baby pics coming, Khall! She looks beautiful!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:20 pm

Congrats Khall, I'm looking forward to watching Lani grow; if she gets too big, feel free to just send her to me :D

Aleuronx wrote:In the nerd front Kora had a BioThermo microchip inserted at round one of spring shots last week. She missed the switch from KWPN-NA branding to micro-chipping by a year and will need one for USEF in 2025. I purchased a scanner and it's been super interesting to chart her temperature pre and post rides and recovery with just a blip of the scan. I'm curious to see how it changes in warmer summer temps. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Funny you posted that, because I was just listening to a webinar talking about chips being a much more accurate temp reading than rectal thermometer, but they said most people aren't going to have the ability to do that. How much was the scanner? I'm pretty sure T does not have a chip, and I've been thinking I need to get her one, so interesting that it can be multi-functional.

Things have dried out here - the outdoor arena got worked yesterday, and it looked nice on top, but turned out it was still chopped up and uneven underneath. We had some really lovely trot work, including lovely flowing LYs an amazing SI right where she was bending and just bouncing along with a nice cadence. But then I think she was having issues with the footing and starting to fling herself around in the canter. Hopefully with people out riding this weekend, the arena base will get smoothed back out. Today is finally the day putting the composite shoes on. I've discovered they can be dyed with Rit dye, and I happened to have a bottle of royal blue laying around, so of course I've got to dye the shoes this morning, and then do the welding. Hopefully after that the glue process will be pretty straightforward.

Thursday I'm off to Utah for a 2-day horse dissection, which should be interesting. First day is whole-horse, and then second day is just feet/legs.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:10 pm

SF, The only problem with dying the shoes is it limits your matchy outfit options :)

I didn't know you could read a temp off a chip. How interesting! Is that all chips or just more modern ones?
Potters is chipped but I don't know how old it is. I suspect at least 10 years.

It's my 3 year anniversary with Potters today. It has had its ups and downs but I'm really glad I've persisted and feel like we truly are a partnership and getting somewhere now. Hes certainly earned his schoolmaster chops. He's quite the task master but he's taught me so much and my riding skills have vastly improved!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Congrats khall she's adorable! I was going to suggest sending her to me if she gets too big, but SF beat me to it :D

The BioThermo microchip is super interesting. Pal already has an older less fancy one.

We're still just tootling along, weather hasn't been super cooperative lately but we've had some good rides when it does cooperate. Mostly focusing on my position, trying to get rid of those old bad habits. She's maybe perhaps finally figuring out that my leg means something and it's better to just listen to it the first time. Things that helped with that have been ground work where I get her really focused on me before I even get on, trotting, backing up, walking slower, walking faster, etc. Also a while back tried to start teaching her piaffe in hand and during that process I also discovered she didn't really understand that the whip had any meaning. It actually took several days of trying for her to respond to it at all. Now that she has a better understanding it's actually useful to carry during my ride.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:03 pm

I don’t know how new they are but Merck is who is making them for equine use. They were brand new to the vet practice I use, chatted with the tech who does ordering and ended up that their Merck rep sent this one as a freebie. The chip itself isn’t that much more expensive but the scanner is different than what most vet practices have from 10-15 years ago. Scanner was ~$400 which is a lot and not I guess when it comes to horses. It connects to a software to download readings in addition to realtime display on screen or an app that can bluetooth to your phone. I could see it being economical for larger stables where the barn purchases a scanner and then makes taking temps of 20+ horses easier and safer.

I’d probably have a bigger hold back if my horse was already chipped and not a capital m ‘Mare’ about taking temperature rectally. Plus the nerd in me is enjoying the information dive.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:26 am

Moutaineer wrote:SF, The only problem with dying the shoes is it limits your matchy outfit options :)

I didn't know you could read a temp off a chip. How interesting! Is that all chips or just more modern ones?
Potters is chipped but I don't know how old it is. I suspect at least 10 years.

It's my 3 year anniversary with Potters today. It has had its ups and downs but I'm really glad I've persisted and feel like we truly are a partnership and getting somewhere now. Hes certainly earned his schoolmaster chops. He's quite the task master but he's taught me so much and my riding skills have vastly improved!

Whew, well I got the shoes on. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have dyed my first set because it make it harder to see what I was doing when I welded the cuffs, but only one got borderline ruined when my husband walked into the garage and started asking what I was doing :evil: I'm leaving the electrical tape wrap on over night, so I'm impatient for the big reveal tomorrow. So much of my matchy stuff is blue that I think we'll be OK :lol: T did yawn once I got all the shoes on, then she took a snooze in the cross ties, so I think she felt good. Tomorrow we're jumping, so my glue work will be put to the test!

Can't believe you've already had Potters for three years - does not seem that long!

Hmm, $400 for the scanner is a little high for one horse. I could see it being really useful for an eventer or endurance horse.

Imperini, nice to hear from you - sounds like you are doing good work with Pal!

Blob, I hope RP learns to like his shoes. Maybe it will just take him a bit to get use to them?
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:08 pm

I thought we'd be getting more baby pictures . . .

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:01 am

Had a couple of more lessons today. Things went pretty well considering all the weather we've had lately. Both boys showed some good stuff. Plan on introducing the double to Junior in a couple of weeks. I purchased a bridle that fits him well and will be back in the Valley in a couple of weeks (Easter) and will dig through my collection of weymouths and bradoons to see what he tolerates. I also sucked it up and bought a new Fager bit for Brandon. It will arrive about the same time. Not sure if it will work but I figured it's worth a try. Interesting thing, and yes I wondered about my saddle but by all accounts it fits him well, I've been long lining Brandon and though each time I have to set down the law somewhat dramatically in the beginning, we were able to get good work with a relaxed back and hardly any mouthiness. Same hands, same bit but I was taught to drive before I really was taught how to ride. I rode but didn't know my head from my tail except to keep everything in the saddle (or else per my father). I think I have a steadier consistent feel on the reins when I drive, more contact than I thought Brandon would tolerate but he went to the bit and came over his back and gave me more respect.............lots to think about............he was a bit of a drama lama at the beginning of the lesson but then relaxed and went better than a few days ago.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:01 pm

Congrats Khall!

Had a semi-productive lesson this morning. My jumping instructor (who is also a dressage rider and coach) said that the single changes were good enough to start practicing tempis, and that specifically I need to focus on getting my count right and my aids on at the right moment. So that was conveyed to my dressage instructor. Lo and behold, having never counted tempis before I got a line of perfect 4s up the long side, perfectly timed and aided. I don't know if Odin or I was more surprised at what had happened.

And then it all went to hell. Subsequent attempts included dramatic body-flinging, and at one point just tanking off with me across the diagonal. So we ended with a gentle reminder on half-halts downward transitions. Quite enough excitement for this week.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:20 pm

Very interesting about the chip! I will need to chip mine soon since it will soon be a requirement. I have just been putting it off. But now I am wondering if I want this biothermal chip! Thankfully mine are easy to take temps of rectally. But it's still fun to think about having that kind of data/feedback.

RP is still adjusting to his front shoes...he's stopped flinging around so much, but he is still feeling heavy on the forehand and his trot looks choppier--much more up and down than forward and out. I am hoping by end of this 'cycle' he will have adjusted more. Though, I do think he is going to need the same situation on all 4 feet--shoes all around or barefoot all around.

I am feeling a bit spiral-y about it all because he was generally doing so well before I put the shoes on. But also I do think he struggles when he is out of our home arena. Grass is tough, other footing is tough, there is a lot of gravel on the property and he is quite flinchy. I think he is not always foot sore, but often foot sore.

In more fun news, we got some pictures back from the show:
Attachments
IMG_20240317_172723_771.jpg
IMG_20240317_172723_771.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 923 times
IMG_20240317_172723_804.jpeg
IMG_20240317_172723_804.jpeg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 923 times
IMG_20240317_172723_820.jpeg
IMG_20240317_172723_820.jpeg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 923 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:23 pm

@khall what a cutie! I went back to your link for more pics, and OMG, baby playing :D Momma's looking good too!

And @blob, fabulous turnout! The pink coat is perfect for you both :mrgreen: If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't know he's foot sore (or is he not here?) I don't know if you've tried anything hood hardeners, or if they're even recommended anymore (last time I used it was ~15 years ago). But Anz went through a period where she was a bit foot sore too, so my farrier recommended Keratex Hoof Hardener. I used maybe 1/8 of the bottle, and she was good. Then it sat in the tack room for ~10 years, and the barn owner used it on her mare for a few weeks to equally quick effect.

On the move front — we close in three(!!) weeks, and all of the official corporate move pieces are falling into place. I just got home from a 10-day conference/festival, and am headed to MD on Friday to scope out some more barns, fingers crossed.

Return to “Dressage Training”