Reflections on Year's Training

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Reflections on Year's Training

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Consider this an invitation to reflect and appreciate what the last year's training experiences have brought to you and your horse(s).

Did you pursue specific goals? How did it go?
Did you explore different training approaches or strategies? What was the outcome?
What were unexpected accomplishment or highlights?

I'll share a few thoughts:

My overall goal for 2015 was for Emi and me to become very fluent in all second level exercises. At some point, I realized that this actually happened and we were schooling much of third, with changes addressed lightly but with more focus this fall. Developing the big trot is still a work in progress, but it is very different from a year ago.

Then we were dealt another PSSM episode in November--thankfully milder than last year, but still a training set-back. I am grateful that she is feeling better now and each week is getting stronger. Last night we did our first 10 m canter circles in over a month---which is a testament to how far she has come since the flare up.

My biggest lesson of the year is to keep the faith in our abilities. Our respective health may come and go, but we can get back to it and still make progress.

klark_kent07
Novice

Re: Reflections on Year's Training

Postby klark_kent07 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:44 am

I really feel as though Kent and I are at about the same stage with most things as you and Emi... right down to trying to develop the medium/extended trot! :)
All second level is confirmed, changes have been started and we school most of the third level work as well.
I'm not looking at having a third level start until the end of next year at the earliest so have plenty of time to play with everything and take our time.

The thing that stands out to me time and again- if the basics are right and not rushed, everything else happens so quickly. And it's perfectly fine to revisit just the basics for a few rides to really progress forwards.
And also... I love my pony, he tries so hard and I've never ridden above first level before so it's all new to both of us. But I'm loving the journey and can't wait for next competition season! :)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:02 am

My goal was to be confirmed in the second level work so that we can start showing it from the start of 2016. Some things are better than I had hoped, some things slid back a bit. His trot work (never his nicest gait) has come on in leaps and bounds, so much suppleness! Canter has fallen apart a bit.

I've always been a relatively fit person, but this year I've properly realised how much my fitness and strength can serve to help my horse.

Klark_Kent - I agree very much wrt the basics being in place and not rushed. I also realised this year how much hard work it's going to take to do well at 2nd level, and to progress beyond that. My horse is willing to give most things a go, and I appreciate his attitude and willingness so much!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:41 pm

I agree that I am also deepening my understanding and appreciation of how the basics make "the fun stuff" possible/easy.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:05 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I agree that I am also deepening my understanding and appreciation of how the basics make "the fun stuff" possible/easy.

Yup, me too. I had an amazing year! Lessons, lessons, lessons and a couple of clinics and oh, it was awesome! My understanding of the basics is slowly sinking into this thick skull of mine.

After 8 years out of the saddle, 2015 was epic. The only thing I wished I had gotten to do was ride Yonka, my 4 year old Canadian I had in training. He was saddled but no one ever got on him, his little mind just wasn't ready yet.

Next year's goals - Yonka will go back in the spring for some more training and hopefully will be backed. Will probably get another break to grow up some more over the summer, these dern Canadians are really late bloomers. Depending on what the vet says on Monday about his stifle, Lucas will most likely come home and enjoy pasture for the summer with Yonka and my daughter's QH (who is pretty much retired).

Then look out, the #bigbaybaron gets pulled out of pasture and into work. I hope Tuddy is as excited as I am!

Watson
Greenie

Postby Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:06 pm

These pics were taken almost exactly a year apart. The first one from one of my very first rides when I bought him and the second one during a w/t class at a local show a year later. My goal for last year was to get him to trust me, relax his muscles, use himself better and go more forward. The "more forward" is still a work in progress but I think we've been successful with our other goals. He seems so much more comfortable within himself now and is building muscle where it should be, slowly and he seems to enjoy going out and showing off. (First photo was taken off of a video, which is why the colours are so different...he's more the bottom colour.)

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 pm

My year has been spent getting to know my new horse. He has some training holes of course, and some idiosyncrasies, and he's a lot more horse than I've ridden before, but he's a good egg and he's teaching me a lot and improving the quality and precision of my riding no end.

The depths of winter are not our best time, however. He doesn't like the cold, and he's very reactive to wind and silly stuff. And I'm finding the cold and dark harder to adapt to this year. Still, it won't go on forever.

I guess I'm also still mourning the retirement of Walker, the most sensible horse on the planet who made up for his lack of scope by his willingness to give it a go, and who babysat me with great care, and boy, do I miss that!

I do feel like we've got the 1st level stuff down now, we were 3rd in the state at 1st level with just two shows, (and really could have done better--we (I) sorted out our (my) major kink just after the show season finished!) and have made some really good progress with the second level stuff this year. Still some polishing to do, but I think we will be able to put in a respectable performance next year, if we can actually get back to work any time soon!

(And Watson, your horse is so pretty! What a lovely color! And what progress!)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:33 pm

After a year break, the Cowpony and I started showing again this year, stepping up to I-1. As always, it is an ongoing learn-as-I-go adventure, but we scored mid-60s at our best and earned two All-Breed awards! And we are making progress and improving. So I am pretty proud.

I will probably show I-1 again this year as we explore whether or not we can claw our way to GP to earn that rider gold medal. Might as well keep shooting for the stars, right?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.73 KiB) Viewed 7053 times

Return to “Dressage Training”