Balance Rider

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Roni444
Greenie

Balance Rider

Postby Roni444 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 am

Has anyone tried this or have one? It looks interesting. I use a Balimo as my chair but this would be a different level.

www.balancerider.com and https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...B1Ic0ChY#t=387
Classical Dressage Fanatic

oldhag
Greenie

Re: Balance Rider

Postby oldhag » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:44 am

Stop trying to kid yourself. The only way to get there is to ride a horse.

Roni444
Greenie

Postby Roni444 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Even top level riders use cross training to improve their balance and seat. Training our bodies to have better balance should improve our riding. If this helps feel imbalances - it could be worth it -

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Riding is learned by riding, but balance boards, fit/swiss balls (esp them), and a balimo chair can help a rider lean refinements of a seat. Ideally time on a lunge, and jumping, and riding in two point as well (for balance). Most really good riders got better by riding, not cross training. One art/sport I find that has many things in common is tai chi. mho

Roni444
Greenie

Postby Roni444 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Stefan and Shannon Peters are big proponents of doing other sports to improve their riding - http://spetersdressage.com/speters/wp-c ... PETERS.pdf Besty Steiner would be another proponent.

I think that for many, daily routines involve a lot of sitting at computers or in cars and the other sports (incluing tai chi, pilates etc) can make a difference.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:20 pm

Roni, I think your point is valid. As an AA, my saddle time is limited. Oldhag correctly points out that nothing but (correct) riding is necessary to improve riding. For many of us who have commitments which preclude time in the saddle, the challenge is to gain balance and muscle tone with which to become more effective. The question is whether this product is useful, IMO. I shall look forward with interest to those who have first hand experience.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:14 pm

I have posted about it before, but I really like using a Bosu ball for improving balance. Different concept, but way cheaper and more versatile for workouts (and if you have a gym membership, you might already have access to one). I agree that us ammies with limited saddle time need to do something additional. Even riding one horse 5-6 days a week isn't enough. Right now I'm barely riding and trying to figure out how to not only stay fit but keep my "sea legs" for when I back my 3 year old next summer.

I've only leafed through it so far, but the January Dressage Today has a section on cross training.
Keep calm and canter on.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Of course time in the saddle is important. But so is fitness, and balance, and being aware of our own body imbalances. I use lessons on this http://rideamerika.com as a training tool. Having lost my more experienced horse, I am currently riding two relatively young horses who have their own imbalances. I'm not sure about this product, but anything that helps with body awareness and correcting imbalances is going to help your riding.

Roni444
Greenie

Postby Roni444 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Code3 - i have seen these simulators but unfortunately there is none anywhere close by. I would be very interested in something that measures / shows my balance or lack thereof. Having advanced in my riding, I have discovered just how much a rider affects a horse and how much even small changes to weight and muscle tone are perceived by the horse. Finding a true "neutral" is very important as a starting point for aiding but also very hard if the feeling was never there. I come from too much tension and overriding to a much more supple and balanced position that allows for more minimal aids as the horse can now hear me. Doing tai chi, pilates, stretches, using a Balimo as my main chair - have been invaluable.

I am not looking for a quick fix but for sometting that helps me improve my body

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:41 pm

While I like the concept very much and think it could be really useful, its hard to take them seriously when they post the photos they do >;-/ The chick on the big Saddlebredy looking chestnut is riding in what, German draw reins? that almost look like they are attached to the saddle? WTH? Sorry, she doesn't look very balanced or coordinated to me. Just saying.

But I think the actual thing could be very useful.

Ganas
Herd Member

Postby Ganas » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:34 am

I've sat on one. It was a while ago, so my memory isn't clear and it's not like I really grilled the salesperson about it. It was fun, a slight challenge, and could certainly help provide strength and balance. The one I tried had a laser light on the front that you were able to point at the wall to let you know if you had it level. I remember thinking that "level" did not produce a neutral pelvis. I remember feeling like I wanted to try one with a saddle attached, I thought it would feel more accurate.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:38 am

I think it could be useful, and comfortable too. I have some SI issues, and there are some stretches I can only do while mounted, this could provide an in house alternative!

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:58 am

Yoga has done wonders for me. Evened out many imbalances, strengthened my balance, great core strength with flexibility workout, and good for proprioception as well. But you need to find the right instructor and program, of course.
I also take a Pilates mat class 1x week - same strengthening, different methology.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:30 am

Code3 wrote:I use lessons on this http://rideamerika.com as a training tool.

How realistic does that feel? There is one about an hour from me and I'm wondering if it would be worth giving a try.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Pretty realistic. the more equal your aids are, the lighter aids she will respond to. For me it is very good for my seat, to really be aware of my pelvis. I will say my very first ride consisted of me being run away with initially. :-). By the end of that lesson I was able to trot both extended and collected. it translates well to the live horse.

Return to “Dressage Training”