Right canter problems.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Watson
Greenie

Right canter problems.

Postby Watson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Now that we are indoors and the arena is smaller, 20x60, I feel like I am being pushed to the outside when cantering to the right on a 20m circle. It doesn't happen cantering left.
He is green at canter we are just beginning more serious work in hopes of doing Training level in the Spring.
Thoughts and suggestions?

Watson

Amado
Herd Member

Re: Right canter problems.

Postby Amado » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:56 pm

So is your horse falling out through the left shoulder? (Does the Circle have a tendency to enlarge when you track right?) You could experiment and try some counter bending (at the trot first) to see if that helps. My horse also throws me to the outside at the canter to the right (his haunches swing out, his right hind leg comes too far diagonally under) - and sometimes working a little haunches in while cantering right helps too. (Though I just re-read your post and maybe he is too green for this).

Lots of changes of direction, practicing true bend and counterbent turns at the walk and the trot - things that will improve his lateral balance - those are some things that will help with the balance at the canter.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Re: Right canter problems.

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:38 am

Have you started leg yields yet in walk and trot? He may not fully understand the outside aids, especially going right. Also return to turn on the forehand, especially away from the left leg. He needs to be sharper to your left leg. And be sure he is particularly straight cantering right. If you over bend the neck you will throw him over his left shoulder and centrifugal force will send you right over there with him.

At all speeds be careful not to bring up your right heel or knee and keep your weight well down your fight stirrup so your right seatbone stays down on the right side of the saddle. Keep your right shoulder slightly back and your right ribcage lifted. Have fun with junior! We all get thrown out of position on the young horses at canter-- he is like an old lady with a purse who swings it to the other shoulder without even thinking about it. It's a natural way for them to try to carry the weight more comfortably. Be meticulous in staying square in the tack.

Return to “Dressage Training”