How many times do you show per year?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage

How many times do you typically show per year?

1-2
33%
3-4
29%
5-6
14%
7-8
5%
9-10
14%
10+
5%

Total votes: 21

Brydie
Herd Member

How many times do you show per year?

Postby Brydie » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:05 am

Started looking at the events calendar for next year and starting to organise my lesson and showing schedule for the year!

Was curious on how many shows other people usually go to per year?

bailey
Herd Member

Re: How many times do you show per year?

Postby bailey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:32 am

I'm watching football and reading the forum and at first I thought the heading said how many times do you shower per year?!

I'm with you, I'd like to plan my 'attack' I mean my show schedule. I do realize I have to have 'something' to show! I'm working on first level, and would like to do two rated shows this session/summer. I also want to be sure I'm prepared and can get some decent scores (is 60s too much to ask?). Here in the PNW we have one venue that does two different rated shows back to back over 3 day weekend, so you can attend F/S/S and ride in two different shows during the one weekend. I think this is a good format as long as you have the endurance to do three days, which is a lot for me. Good topic, glad you asked!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:33 am

I put 1-2 as thats my hope for this year. Last year was zero. Ideally id go for 3-4.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:16 pm

My boy Carl (Carl Hester) says that the only way to get over show nerves is to show. So I joined my barn's Carroll County Western Circuit and go out with them for the season -it starts in April and ends in August. It was a great way to get my feet wet, and at a combined event of Western and English, speed and rail so busy and chaotic. This year I'm aiming for FADS -Frederick Area Dressage Shows and will go as much as my pocket book can take.

Paula

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I generally do the absolute minimum to get my qualifying scores for Regionals. Sometimes that takes more shows than others (guys, Open is tough-- and shows are expensive!).

This year, I'm looking at a big cross-country move during the summer (great timing, job, thanks for that) so I'm probably looking at 1-2 if any. I'd like to get to at least 1 show at 3rd in 2016.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 am

bailey wrote:I'm watching football and reading the forum and at first I thought the heading said how many times do you shower per year?!

Same answer. :lol:

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:32 am

I love showing and show as much as possible with work, general life, money and time constraints all taken into account.
I normally do one or two club days at the start of the season to see how we handle the new level, then show recognised shows around 6-8 shows for the remainder of the season. I try to travel south and compete at State level in there as well- a 1100km (roughly 700 mile) trip. If I didn't compete I would find it hard to train the 5 or 6 days a week that I do... I really enjoy the training but I like to have goals and better my scores and progress through the levels :)

Return to “Dressage Training”