Riding in a winter wonderland...

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Rosie B
500 post plus club

Riding in a winter wonderland...

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Happy New Year!!!

I took a bit of video the other day after a snow storm and thought I would share with you guys. We had about 15 or 20cm of fresh snow and I couldn't wait to go ride in it. Fresh snow makes the most incredible footing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy1oDV ... e=youtu.be

Hope 2016 brings wonderful things for you all. :)

Code3
Herd Member

Re: Riding in a winter wonderland...

Postby Code3 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Lovely in all ways. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Like riding in a freshly groomed arena :)

Thanks for sharing, I'm jealous. We've been so warm and wet that the outdoor is a muddy mess, and now it's freezing all lumpy and we have just dusting of snow to cover it.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks Code3 and Mareless. :) I had another great ride in the snow today.

Mareless - that sucks. We've been really lucky with the weather here. In late November I put down 700 or so pounds of alaska ice melt calcium chloride (good to -30 degrees C) and that kept the footing in my arena from freezing and it was completely rideable even in the very cold weather. Unfortunately we also got a lot of rain over the past month, so it's now all gone, but if the weather is looking cold and dry for the next few weeks, if you put some salt down in the main areas that should help a lot.

Good luck!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 am

it looks lovely

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:57 am

That's amazing! I love seeing photos etc of the snow, especially when it's been so hot and dry here right now.
Thanks for sharing!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:24 pm

So glad you posted video Rosie. I thought of you the other day when Rudy and I were playing in the snow. At that time it was a balmy 15F, but since then we haven't made it out of the single digits except for 1 day when the wind was blowing 20mph and it was 18F. I admit to wimping out. I absolutely LOVE riding in the snow though.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:35 am

Sue B wrote: I absolutely LOVE riding in the snow though.

Me too. Unfortunately, we only have about 1-2 inches of snow over rock hard frozen ground. We have an indoor but with the cold, dry air, the indoor is a dust bowl. So, I have been walking my horse in the outdoor arena. I figured I would try it if for nothing else but a change of scenery. Doing laps at the walk, on the lunge line. I send her down the rail and when she gets too far ahead of me, I have her circle. then continue on down the rail, rinse, repeat. Yesterday she was quite energetic and kept wanting to take off in trot or canter. Please no...not on this stuff. So just for kicks and giggles, I asked if she could put in some of her energy to 1/2 steps on the rail where it was nice and level. I got 2 of the nicest, most rhythmic and relaxed baby piaffes from her. Tension has always been her nemesis and I was a little hesitant to ask since she was a little on the 'saucy' side. But she waited, and listened and it was cool 8-) . After the second one, I praised her highly and said we are done.

Bliss looks very good. Snow and all.

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:13 am

I was born and raised in Michigan and rode in the snow often. We lived in a little rural village and sometimes we'd put big jingle bells on our horse and ride into town. Two or three horses trotting together with bells in the snow was SO neat.

We don't often get snow where I live now but I have no desire to ride in it anymore. I would much rather sit at my desk and watch lovely videos of OTHER people riding in the snow!

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks guys. I've now had 7 rides in the snow. I think it's safe to say this snow is staying until the spring. I have just been keeping my rides super short (15-20 minutes) as I know it's hard on him - the depth of the snow means he has to engage more and lift his legs. He is still very willing and appears to be enjoying it. :)

Also, since I've had 5 or so rides since the last good snow, I have to be careful as the most frequently travelled areas in my arena have become packed, and if I keep riding on them it will turn to ice. So the last couple rides I have been riding off the track, and riding different figures to stay off the packed snow. It's been helpful in establishing an honest connection to the outside rein and leg (since it's easier for him to travel in the track, he wants to drift into it).

Sue B - we have been extremely fortunate so far this year. Temps have been hovering around 0 (32F), and only lately have dipped in the negative single digits. This morning was colder than it has been in a while at -5 (23F). Last year it was around -30 (-22F) for the entire month of February, and if it gets that cold I will be riding less!!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Today, it was a glorious and mild winter day (around 40F or 5C), sunny, and we decided to do some circles outside for a change. I dressed too warmly. So NICE to be outside, even if the snow was a bit crusty on top.
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 18981 times

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:12 pm

That's a beautiful picture, Calvin.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes, your circle looks perfect, too! :)

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:13 am

It's been around 37 degrees Celsius here for 2 weeks now, riding is very limited as I have a hot horse who doesn't handle the heat that well! Your video is awesome Rosie, looks lovely :D

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks klark_kent! 37 degrees! Bliss and I would be struggling with that bigtime. I don't handle the heat well and neither does he.

Today we're about 50 degrees colder than that! And I had another nice (but brief) ride in the snow this morning. My snow in the arena is starting to wear out - the snow in the frequently travelled areas is gone and the ground is hard as a rock underneath so I am continuing to use my snowed areas inventively. I think tomorrow I will ride in the paddock where the snow is less trampled and maybe venture around our yard, too. :)

Hope you get a break from the heat soon!

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Rosie- this looks so fun! You guys look beautiful and I'm almost jealous that I don't live somewhere cold! :)

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 pm

HafD - Sunny, snowy winter days are wonderful and exhilarating, provided the footing is safe. HOWEVER, we can also expect to experience freezing temperatures, freezing rain, ice, sleet and howling winds. If one has access to an indoor, it's not so bad (well, freezing is bad!); but if you are relying upon Mother Nature, then winter can be an exercise in frustration. It is sobering to think of how hot and dry it is in other parts of the world. I would not be able to ride in those conditions.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:37 am

So fluffy! Lovely video, and Bliss looks great. Thanks for sharing and reminding me that winter doesn't completely suck. Sort of.

Great geometry, calvin!

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:38 am

Riding in 2ft snow after record snow fall in New York city on Jan. 23
2016 winter 1.jpg
2016 winter 1.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 18793 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:14 pm

So tell me.... did you love it?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Wow! Neat picture, ElaPe. Your horse has a beautiful, shiny, winter coat.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Rosie B wrote:So tell me.... did you love it?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it looks pretty but there is not much one can do in such a deep snow. So we only walked and did some few trot attempts. Trot in deep snow feels like trotting on a horse with huuuge trot.

demi wrote:Wow! Neat picture, ElaPe. Your horse has a beautiful, shiny, winter coat.

thank you :) In the summer time her coat is much brighter so I have two different horses in one package ;)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:32 pm

The snow is just beautiful, especially on a blue sky day!! Yes, hard to ride in I imagine.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

We had another dump of snow and Bliss and I had a great ride in the fresh snow yesterday. He felt incredible!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaoI5Hx ... e=youtu.be

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Geez you make sitting trot looks so easy!!!
Have you got anyone with a half decent camera to get some riding pics in that snow? That would be gorgeous.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Thanks Flight!! Let me tell you, when you have that level of connection/energy/push over the back and engagement, it is easy!!! I was in heaven yesterday lol. It's not usually that good. ;)

I figure yesterday was a gift... I got to feel what his 3rd/4th level trot SHOULD feel like. It's not like that every day, and the only reason we had it yesterday was because of the snow and a massive set of 'self adjusting chiropractic maneuvers' that I edited out of the video. ;)

I have a nice DSLR, but no one around I can reasonably ask to use it. I use all my favours asking people to babysit while I ride. ;)

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Last week we got the final (?) snowfall this winter. I went for a trail ride and took some pictures.

2016 winter powerline.jpg
2016 winter powerline.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 18554 times
Attachments
2016 winter polo field.jpg
2016 winter polo field.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 18554 times
2016 winter snow on trees.jpg
2016 winter snow on trees.jpg (109.95 KiB) Viewed 18554 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Love the photos ElaPe! It's been sooo hot here for weeks on end and I can't imagine snow, it looks so refreshing :)

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Flight wrote:Love the photos ElaPe! It's been sooo hot here for weeks on end and I can't imagine snow, it looks so refreshing :)

Thank you :) I think this winter was not so bad at all. Last year at this time we still had lots of snow on the ground.

Return to “Dressage Training”