Non-dressage trainers. Thoughts?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Non-dressage trainers. Thoughts?

Postby Flight » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 am

I've been following a horse trainer that does reining/western riding, not dressage and have been very surprised at how much it is helping me and my horses.
It started because I bought a young, unbroken Andy WB cross who was very sensitive and basically did weird stuff and I found his online vids, and I love them!
I attended a 3 day clinic with him on my young horse and it was really good. In fact, when I got home I started all his stuff with my older horse and I feel he has improved heaps already.

It's very interesting, because I've been completely ignorant of the western style of riding and thought it was the opposite of dressage. However, this guy instills very very good basics. Aiming for very clear and light aids, responsiveness without tension, engagement and self carriage.
No, I don't want to do sliding stops or spins, but all the lead up to these moves are the same as the lead up to dressage 'moves'.
I bet everyone reading this is going "der, of course it's the same" but I've had years of dressage lessons, yet I feel I missed out on just how to get these very basic things more correct.

Anyone else been through something similar?

Pics! Just to make it more interesting.

Learning to cruise around the whole arena on a loose rein:
dingsmall7.jpg
dingsmall7.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 13423 times

Then to stand around and totally relax:

dingsmall8.jpg
dingsmall8.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 13423 times

My other horse. I've struggled on how to get him to use his hind end more and lift the front end. May not look like much but it's starting to happen more easily (Sorry we are so scruffy in the pic! It's so dry and dusty here now, I gave up on grooming).
dingsmall1.jpg
dingsmall1.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 13423 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Non-dressage trainers. Thoughts?

Postby Rosie B » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Yes!! I am in the same boat. There are a few dressage trainers around here that other people are using and really like, but I know their approach wouldn't work for Bliss and I so the trainer I've been using is primarily a western one. She has a really strong background in reining but has been living the horse world and mostly teaching beginners for all her life. She has an incredible eye and there is not one problem I have seen that she can't at least get a good start on solving within 15 minutes. She's an absolute stickler for the basics - good position, correct aids, rhythm, relaxation, etc. The change in Bliss has been incredible since I've been working with her. And I will continue to work with her.

I love that you're looking outside the box, Flight. Your young horse is gorgeous, and Ding looks great! He looks super soft and light in that pic.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:51 pm

I think it helped me to come from a working stock horse back ground into dressage, and while I disagree that dressage ignored the basics, and western teaches it..... ( it really does depend on the quality of the trainer, rather than the discipline).

My only caution would be to be careful of not putting the horse behind the contact, or to much on the forehand.

I enjoyed your photos

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Classical western riding - the way it was done a few decades ago as opposed to the more recent AQHA crap - is VERY similar to dressage. After all it has its roots in Spain, as does the Spanish riding school...

Traditionally, western horses are ridden in the bosal for several years before graduating to a curb and being finished as "bridle horses". Very similar to how dressage horses were traditionally started in a cavesson (the snaffle being a more recent development) and graduating to a double after collection is established for their finishing. Both disciplines prioritize calmness, collection, and straightness. Western puts a higher priority on calm due to the work they intend to do with the horse, while dressage puts a higher priority on artistry.

So yeah, if you can find a western trainer that really knows their stuff, you should get along very well! Congratulations on finding one!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Flight - lovely pics and your last one looks really nice and forward - connected - relaxed. Rosie - loved your floating snow video ride. So nice that you have found QUALITY instructors who can assist you in progressing your training. Really like that they are into good equitation - position and practical training applicable to any good horseman. I say enjoy your rides with them and their shared knowledge. (Certainly beats an instructor who ignores these building blocks or who cannot communicate!)
Last edited by Josette on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Absolutely. I've learned to look everywhere for help, input, and training. I regularly take lessons with Patrick King when he's in the area, for example.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Absolutely. Good training is good training. My new boy may not understand contact, but he really knows how to work off your seat and balance - thanks to the classical western (Californio style) former owner!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:09 am

That's great to hear everyone!
This guy is Aussie but lives in America now. I'm not sure how many good western trainers we have in Oz, but as I said, I'm very ignorant to those disciplines.
He doesn't want the horses behind the bit/vertical or pulling along with the front legs. It's been an eye opener for me.
I agree there is good/bad/awesome trainers in any sport. I'll keep going with it for now :)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:26 pm

I am a Reiner/cow horse rider in addition to dressage. As you have discovered, there are many amazing trainers in all disciplines. And other disciplines also know how to train a good horse.

The prejudice I run into, and the hateful ignorance, here and elsewhere sometimes makes me sad. I am glad you have found a good instructor to help you with your education. Good horsemanship is not exclusive to one discipline. I have learned a lot from all the great horsemen I have been fortunate to work with, regardless of what hat they were wearing.

Your horses are beautiful.

This is my horse on the same day. Dressage lesson followed by playing with cows.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.53 KiB) Viewed 13278 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 13278 times

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:26 pm

For some reason, I've been watching a lot of old Western movies lately. I never see these horses being ridden like a Western Pleasure Competition Horse. Mostly, they are up & open & going somewhere. Very enjoyable.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Kelo, that is very cool!
I like how this has encompassed not just riding, but training my horses to be good to do everything with. Lead, tie up, float, trail ride etc.
A lot of my dressage only friends do put up with a lot of not so good behaviour with these things but I like having horses that are pleasant to be around.

I'm interested in doing Working Equitation down the track sometime too, and our local person is keen on doing the cow work with it!

Tsuy
Greenie

Postby Tsuy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 am

Flight wrote:That's great to hear everyone!
This guy is Aussie but lives in America now. I'm not sure how many good western trainers we have in Oz, but as I said, I'm very ignorant to those disciplines.
He doesn't want the horses behind the bit/vertical or pulling along with the front legs. It's been an eye opener for me.
I agree there is good/bad/awesome trainers in any sport. I'll keep going with it for now :)

I think I am following the same guy :D
I went and fence sat for a day at one of his clinics and went home and worked on some of the stuff with my dressage horses and it was great
- more people should follow him
- it is simple stuff but very effective
He has enough free stuff if you have a horse training background but even more videos cheaply available if you do not

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 am

Yep sounds like the same person, Tsuy :)
I've been subscribing to his vids since early last year and they have been great. Riding in the clinic was definitely worth it too.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:47 am

I have worked on occasion with a 'western' person for several years. She has worked with some dressage trainers and very much incorporates those principals in her western work and vice versa. She also works on Doma Vaquero and garrocha work. I was just thinking of going and getting me a pole to start playing with garrocha work to give us some variety while stuck in the indoor for the winter. I try to work with her every year but did not get to last year. Hopefully this year will be better. She often works on my position more than my dressage trainers have. No slouching around Alice ;) .

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Nice update and photos! If the trainer has a public site/videos, I would love a link so I can explore.

FYI, I started my riding education at a working western barn and I think it provided an excellent foundation for me for a lot of dressage concepts.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Piedmontfields - https://www.youtube.com/user/WarwickSchiller

He has quite a few short vids on youtube, and a website :)

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I worked for a western trainer all through my highschool years and summers when I was in college. She was a great talent. I think a good horseman is a good horseman....

I am also appreciating the pics on this thread.

Return to “Dressage Training”