The Warhorse - the Tale of Tuddy

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Introducing.... Tuddy!

Well, some of you may already know him, but this is his official thread.

May 24, 2007, Massawippi Dandy Tao, entered the world. This bay cheval Canadien was destined to be my next heart horse whether he knew it or not. On June 20, 2010, he walked off the trailer that brought him all the way from Quebec to Saskatchewan to live out his life with me.

I had a huge hole in my heart where a horse I had loved had died tragically had left, and I was hoping this big bay boy could fill it. New to the breed, and new to buying sight unseen, I didn't know what to expect. It was love at first sight. He was treated as an outsider by my other two horses I had at the time, and sought companionship with anyone would give him attention. He was like a weaned foal,wandering around my farm, looking for someone to take care of him. Like a teddy bear who lost his person. He became my Tuddy.

After some horrible experiences with a couple of boarding facilities, he lost a lot of confidence in me, and my abilities to look after him. I lost a lot of confidence in myself, as he taught me that I didn't know as much I thought I did.

I stepped back, took the time, started from square one, and can say we now have a bond. Is it a shaky bond? Possibly, as I haven't taken him off the farm in four years. But we both know that we have grown and are ready to take the next step to become partners in the saddle. Tuddy will go into boarding, at a facility I feel safe to have him in, and will have a couple months of re-training and therapy and we will go from there. I have no set goals for him, I will take this one day at a time. This is our journey.

Of course, we need some pictures!

My horses get to roam the yard in summer, he learned that if he bangs on the door, someone will generally answer it with a carrot in hand.

Tuddy 2015 Summer.jpg
Tuddy 2015 Summer.jpg (225.33 KiB) Viewed 28797 times

I took this the other day. I just love this guy.

January 2016 Tuddy.jpg
January 2016 Tuddy.jpg (226.32 KiB) Viewed 28797 times
Last edited by Tuddy on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Big Bay Baron

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:53 pm

so cute

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:44 pm

What a great horse! :)

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Cute boy! I'm not familiar with the breed. He appears to have a lot of bone! He's handsome!

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 pm

lovely boy!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:40 pm

That face!!!!

And great hair too :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:21 pm

who could possibly resist a guy like that standing at the doorway? Very adorable!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:42 am

What a handsome fellow! I watched a video about Canadians the other day and they seem like they're really quite lovely

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:02 am

Love!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:59 pm

He's gorgeous!!

And it's completely adorable that he comes to the door. :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: The Big Bay Baron - Now known as #warhorse

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 pm

He made it. But I had to change his nickname from Big Bay Baron to War Horse. He came off that trailer like he owned the place. You ever have or see one of those horses where your first impression is, "Whoa, that's a horse". That was this guy last night when we unloaded him and walked him to his pen. He was all eyes and ears and full of curiousity, but yet very reserved. We took our time walking from the trailer to his pen, I never forced him to move past anything uncomfortable and I never babied him with "Oh, it's okay, don't worry". I just stopped and waited until he gave me the look that said, "Ok, let's keep going". I put him in his pen and he was snuffing noses with the mare in the next pen and we realized that even though there was power going to the electric fence, the snow as acting as an insulator and he wasn't getting zapped. We moved him to the barn into a stall for the night.

I am so happy with how he handled things, my boy is growing up, and I can't wait to get him into the arena and see what he remembers.

I will take pictures tonite, the ones I took last night are all blurry.

And the Big Black Freight Train came home and promptly shoved his head into the big round bale... I don't think he has come up for air yet as of this morning... ;)

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:25 pm

I think you are going to have a fantastic journey with this boy. He is lovely!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:54 am

Thanks for the kind words. Here is a short video I put on my Facebook page. Hope I changed the privacy settings so that you can see it. :-) .Leading him to the arena was good, but coming back he was really pushy. We will work on that.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =537026499

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:12 am

"Pushy" seems to be a breed trait, along with "smart" and "food-oriented". I scoured the internet for anything I could find when I got my little black freight train. Even some of the breeder's pages described "very pushy until leadership is established". I found that to ring very true. If I'm no-doubt-about-it firm little miss says oh, okay! Like most horses I think, but more so :) Since she is so food-oriented I also trained her quickly to "wait" with her head bowed for a treat. In this way, she's trained me to give her more treats....

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Oof, it's been a while since I updated this thread! But I really don't have anything to really update. But I do have a question - how do I help this big fella gain some confidence in himself. He is the King of Epic Spooks, it would seem. He is settled into his boarding barn nicely, has made friends with the mare next door and seems relatively content. Until you upset the routine. I honestly don't know how to make a show pony out of this guy if he needs what seems like two weeks to settle into something. Suggestions?

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: The Warhorse - the Tale of Tuddy

Postby Kelo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Not sure how you feel about outside-the-box suggestions, but a few things that I would personally do:

1. Clicker training can really help their confidence. Best way I can describe it is it can help them flip a mental switch from "things being done to them" to "having things happen that might result in good stuff". There are lots of books/videos if you're interested.

2. Find a good cowhorse guy you can get some lessons from. Pushing cattle -- not to be confused with cutting cattle -- is excellent in helping horses get braver. Put a real slow cow (or a few slow cows) in a big roundpen and learn how to "work" said cow at a walk. This has nothing to do with cutting, just moving the cattle with your bubble. Your horse learns he can get into a scary situation, yet be the boss horse. You get to do a little training, and a lot of standing around meditating (which also helps them learn to control their emotions). They usually find a lot of courage along the way.

You could also work on groundwork or sacking out type stuff. Along the same lines as above, but may be easier to access. Same thought process of teaching him to control his emotions and find his zen place.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 pm

I just want to second the clicker training. In high school, my sister had this monstrous tank of a moon-jumping OTTB who was also the most unconfident horse imaginable (and he was supposed to be her event horse...ha! that didn't work out). Anyway, she ended up using clicker training to do all sorts of ground work (including picking up cones and all sorts of random stuff), and it really worked with him. He blossomed and while he was never ****brave, he finally managed to become a decent trail horse without quaking in his boots.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:22 am

Kelo's suggestions sound helpful, and fun. Take your time and enjoy. You've already come a long way with him.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, the clicker training sounds like fun for the both of us. I took him to the arena the other day, and I grabbed the big oversized soccer ball that my trainer uses for desensitizing. Well, first it was the scariest thing ever, but by the end, he was pushing it around the arena.

I would love to push cows with this guy. Lucky for me, we still have about 14 cows on the farm, but I don't think they would appreciate a horse working them, lol. In my area though, I am fortunate to have a lot of flag, working cattle and even bison handling clinics. This is something I have always wanted to partake in, and maybe we will this summer. Tuddy, along with my #blondebastard of a Canadian, Yonka, would really excel at that type of thing.

My plan now is to have my trainer put a couple weeks of ground work and desensitizing into him. I will be there for his sessions too, so that I can learn along with Tuddy. I know what needs to be done, but since I am not a trainer, I just don't know how to approach it. I know he needs to have his buttons pushed a little, but I may unknowingly push them too far, and I don't want to confuse or upset him. My trainer has a better eye for knowing where the line is. Once we solidify some things, I don't have a problem maintaining what he has learned.

As for me, my trainer has graciously offered her one gelding for me to ride again in some lessons so I can get back into the swing of things, I haven't rode since I took the Big Black Freight Train home (who is doing quite well enjoying winter holidays in front of his round bale).

It is -26°C today, so I don't think Tuddy will get any work done to him. I don't want to get him sweated up when it is this cold out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I sat on him last night. After all this time. I finally sat on him. I wasn't going too. My trainer put a good session on him and we should've left him at that, and I literally, like a child asking for a candy, asked her if I could just sit on him. Don't move, don't walk, just sit on him. It.was.awesome.

First Sit.jpg
First Sit.jpg (201.76 KiB) Viewed 28109 times

I am off to find a nose band for him though. He is quite mouthy, and when we applied contact on the lunge, we could see the bit just needs that stability. We aren't tying his mouth shut, we just need a boundary of some sorts. We don't want him to figure out how to get his tongue over the bit. Trying to be proactive here, not reactive.

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:45 am

He appears to have an ear on you and an ear to the camera :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 pm

I rode my horse. It was amazing. I know that I am not the rider he needs me to be right now, but seeing as how he is so forgiving, says a lot about his temperament. It will come. One ride at a time. Took a little video. Feel free to comment, critique and offer suggestions.

https://youtu.be/fEIN1F_Wyj0

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:29 am

You both look very happy and patient :) The end of his noseband is driving me nuts, but he doesn't seem to bother him at all. Mine does the same thing :) He seems to like the pats at the end :) Tuddy!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Aw that's so exciting, and he's so handsome!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:22 pm

vkitty wrote:You both look very happy and patient :) The end of his noseband is driving me nuts, but he doesn't seem to bother him at all. Mine does the same thing :) He seems to like the pats at the end :) Tuddy!

I think the end you see is the loop on the rope halter he is still wearing. :) I am in the process of finding a bridle that fits him. Right now, the bridle he is wearing, I cannot do the throat latch up because it is too small. But I don't mind shopping. ;)

Thanks for the kind words!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:19 pm

He looks like a neat boy! So glad you're enjoying him.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:07 pm

It's been a few days since I posted, and things have been progressing, quite well actually, but we have been having an issue with some spooking and avoidance issues. He is a "looker then a scooter" type of horse and the one end of the arena is going to be the death of him - so he likes to act. It has all the jump standards, the cavaletti, the balls, the lounge chairs, and the evil, death at any moment, big, red, baler. He has been in the arena pretty much every day since Jan 25, and every day, that baler is out to get him.

It's.getting.old.

I am not the confident rider my trainer is, so she can work him through the corner, and once he realizes that he can work in that corner, he gets back into work mode.

We lunge him first, and work in that corner until he is comfortable with it, then we double lunge him, and work him in that corner and he is comfortable with it, then either I or my trainer, hop on up, and all is right with the world - most days.

He isn't a big spooker, more like spooks on the spot, but really?

He spooked with me the other day when dirt hit the wall, and when he kicked dirt up on the gate at the scary end of the arena.

I just don't know what to think or what to do, it's every.single.damn.day.

I know that the cowboy way (which I am not a fan of, and it isn't going to happen) is to sink a post in that end of the arena and tie him to it. Which he would probably dig a hole to China over and my coach would not appreciate it.

Here is a video from last week, it is me in the saddle, and I think this is my third ride on him, please forgive my poor riding, as Tuddy did. His walk has improved 85% since then, not so pokey.

You can see the scary end of the arena, with the devil baler in the corner, and at one point you can see him do the "head up, omg it's still there", and you can hear me say, "oh you won't die" or something along that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmgeLOo ... e=youtu.be

Suggestions about trying to deal with the scary end of the corner would be helpful and appreciated. I just don't know what is going through his brain that makes him think that it is the worst spot on earth. Oh, and when another boarder and I were sitting on the stools the other day on the other side of the gate there, watching my coach ride, well, my gawd, he couldn't handle that, we were sitting in the flames of hell!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Tuddy wrote:
Suggestions about trying to deal with the scary end of the corner would be helpful and appreciated. I just don't know what is going through his brain that makes him think that it is the worst spot on earth. Oh, and when another boarder and I were sitting on the stools the other day on the other side of the gate there, watching my coach ride, well, my gawd, he couldn't handle that, we were sitting in the flames of hell!

Interesting, because my spooky horses are much better if people are "down there". In fact, my horse is okay when it's just the donkey down there, which is surprising because none of the horses or mules seem to have any interest in what the donkey thinks. But what may be important to my horse is that another animal is down there and nothing is attacking it?

When my donkey dies I may have to paint a picture of him and put it down there to see if I can fool my horse into thinking that he's still there. :-)

I also have one horse who will stand tied down there by herself, but she's the same age as the donkey so I don't think I'm going to be able to fall back on her when the donkey goes.

I'm surprised that your horse wasn't better with you sitting down there, but maybe he would have felt safer if you were inside the gate, or if you'd come in and let him see that it was you, or maybe fed him a treat every time he came by? Although I will say that I've fed thousands of treats down at the other end, and while it may have helped, I know that safety will trump food any day, so I think repeated exposure (and the donkey) probably helped way more than the treats.

One of the ways I work on it is to start out riding at the safe end until he's no longer trying to look at the other end, and then I make the circle bigger until he's no longer trying to look, then bigger.... But I definitely have to do it both ways, and at all 3 gaits, because he can be completely calm at the walk going to the left and then spook going to the right, or spook the first time he trots or canters.
Last edited by kande50 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:36 pm

other than keeping the horse on the aids so that he feels like his hand is being held, is there any way you can ride with some one who has a steady eddy who is not at all afraid of the corner, and you can teach tuddy by example?

one day i held deneb by the scary mounting block while i taught four lessons, by the end of the day, she had both bonded with me more, and was unafraid of the mounting block, which is is still unafraid of it to this day. the one thing i can rely on her for is to stand relaxed at the mounting block until i am fully one and secure and tell her to move

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Agree with Chisamba.

Other thoughts: you may need to keep him busier. He's got a lot of time to think about spooking (you can see it building before you get the actual spook/look) on big 20-m circles. I'd put this horse on some serpentines, transitions, and/or leg yielding and get his brain back on the task at hand. Slowly spiraling towards and away from the scary spot can help as well.

Resist the urge to truncate the arena much more. He'll start spooking sooner and sooner until eventually you're only allowed on the 20m circle on the other half of the arena. This isn't a malicious move-- it's just verification that he should have been scared of that thing ergo he should be even more scared of it. Break the cycle.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:18 pm

My stinker pony can do a wicked drop the shoulder/spin bolt. Sometimes you can sense that looky feeling that he is thinking about monsters - - sometimes they can catch you by surprise. I'll let the experienced riders/trainers here comment but it looked like you had more rein contact in an earlier video (above post March 14). This video maybe the reins looked longer and it gives him the sense that you are not quite his leader. He has to be on the basic aides with turning and response from your legs. I might be sneaky too and keep enlarging the circle each time to get closer to that end of the ring. This takes time for you to bond and create a trust that works both ways. Chisamba is certainly the expert on fearful horses so I would try whatever she recommends.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:

Resist the urge to truncate the arena much more. He'll start spooking sooner and sooner until eventually you're only allowed on the 20m circle on the other half of the arena.

That does happen sometimes, and we've certainly had days when a 10 meter circle in front of the door was too much for us. On those days my horse is always so relieved when I got off and we start out with liberty work. As soon as I'm on the ground next to him he'll go down to the other end with me, and if we work down there for awhile then I can get back on and he'll be over it. But I do have to make sure that he really is comfortable down there before I get back on, or he won't be entirely over it when I get back in the saddle.

But in Tuddy's case I'm not sure it matters whether he's always required to go down there or allowed to stay further inside his comfort zone, because the trainer, who probably isn't worried about coming off if he loses it, takes him down there?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:17 pm

kande50 wrote:But in Tuddy's case I'm not sure it matters whether he's always required to go down there or allowed to stay further inside his comfort zone, because the trainer, who probably isn't worried about coming off if he loses it, takes him down there?

Sure, but the trainer isn't feeding into his spookiness/fear. She's riding him into the corner, and he's having to get over it and get to work.

If that's not maintained by the OP, it's reinforcing his spooks and pulling his comfort zone into a smaller and smaller space. Horses will regress to their tendencies if the training isn't maintained. So, for that matter, will people.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:42 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
kande50 wrote:But in Tuddy's case I'm not sure it matters whether he's always required to go down there or allowed to stay further inside his comfort zone, because the trainer, who probably isn't worried about coming off if he loses it, takes him down there?

Sure, but the trainer isn't feeding into his spookiness/fear. She's riding him into the corner, and he's having to get over it and get to work.

If that's not maintained by the OP, it's reinforcing his spooks and pulling his comfort zone into a smaller and smaller space. Horses will regress to their tendencies if the training isn't maintained. So, for that matter, will people.

Thanks for the advice.

I just want to say that my trainer never forces him into the corner, she doesn't want to fry his brain. ;)

Last night he was better, in fact, it was amazing. He had his issues in the corner/that end of the arena, but got over it. Like stated above, we don't want to reinforce the spooks by being too sympathetic, for lack of a better word. It is almost like it has become habitual to be anxious at that end, and I am hoping that now it has gone from a flight response that we need to prove that it isn't, to a behavioural issue that can be corrected. Make sense?

He was starting to bend away from the baler once he got to that end of the arena, and so my trainer was like fine, I guess we learn the beginning of a side pass today, and she ended up keeping the bend the whole short side of the arena. He was pretty shocked, " Wait a second, you want me to stay this way?" :shock:

My trainer actually put him in the corner and he "touched noses" with the baler. He was pretty tense, but he survived, he gave it the look the next few times he had to go by it though.

The advice of being on the aids really seems to help, as it should, as it keeps his mind on the task at hand. He is smart as a whip and is a sponge when it comes to retaining anything that he is taught, hence the reason we don't want this issue to become a habitual one (if it hasn't already).

I would like to show this horse one day, but good grief, if it takes him months to be comfortable with new surroundings, I will never get him settled at a show! BAH!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:

Yes, everyone wants to be comfortable, so unless comfort seeking is discouraged they're going to continue to seek it. Seeking relief from the aids is the reason we can push them further out of their comfort zones, which is why it all boils down to how much one is willing and able to push.

Fortunately, horses are easy to push out of their comfort zones, or at least they are until we try to push them too far. And then they'll allow themselves to be pushed further and further until they reach a certain threshold, at which point they react. So as we become aware of our options we have to decide whether we'd rather push harder and risk the reactions, or we'd rather stay further inside and be more comfortable.

I like riding a calm horse now so don't push much, but in spite of my lack of drive my horse has continued to progress beyond the 20 meter circle. So it's not as if he's regressed to not being able to leave his stall because I'm not up for pushing him harder, and I think the reason for that is because there are so many other ways to habituate horses besides getting on them and trying to keep them on the aids.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm also wondering about simply leading him around with his halter near the scary end of the ring. You are his leader on the ground. Stand around down there looking at the scary stuff and let him smell it. Have a few treats to reward him for good behavior. I like what Chimsamba described with her mare standing near the mounting block. Now the monster is gone....

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Tuddy wrote:I would like to show this horse one day, but good grief, if it takes him months to be comfortable with new surroundings, I will never get him settled at a show! BAH!

This is only your first how many rides on him since bringing him back? And he's already progressing! Although I know it's easy to snowball-- if he can't do A, how can I possibly expect to get all the way through the alphabet? IMPOSSIBLE, I SAY.

I have a spooky gelding. Looks at everything to this day, at age 17. But he's a completely different horse in a show ring vs. on a trail ride-- little white fences = showtime, and he's great; calm walk around the pasture he lives in = OMG HOLD ME. There's hope. The difference for him is on the aids vs. off. May not work for all horses; definitely works for my guy.

kande50 wrote:I like riding a calm horse now so don't push much, but in spite of my lack of drive my horse has continued to progress beyond the 20 meter circle. So it's not as if he's regressed to not being able to leave his stall because I'm not up for pushing him harder, and I think the reason for that is because there are so many other ways to habituate horses besides getting on them and trying to keep them on the aids.

Shades of aids here. I'm not saying fix your hand on your knees and hammer that horse with the leg til he goes forward and focuses. I'm not even saying that anybody needs to escalate anything. Just that maybe doing some turns where he doesn't expect it (i.e. break the pattern, get him naturally tuned back in because he isn't sure what he'll be asked next) will help him think more about the riding and less about the static objects at the end of the arena.

I'm also advising with the assumption that the OP wants to show. You will never be able to expose your horse to everything that you'll see at the showgrounds. Toddlers and balloons, flags, wheelchairs, horses and carts out doing marathon events during your dressage test at the Kentucky Horse Park-- you can't adequately introduce everything. In a situation like that, you need to be able to rely on something that can create calmness. Something like putting them on the aids (if you can do so in a non-aggressive or confrontational manner) can do that.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Not sure if it's helpful, but my horse can be a bit more reactive to changes at home, we feel because it's his "home turf". A strange place such as a show grounds does not have any history for him so everything is new so nothing is scary. Well, not nothing but maybe you get my meaning.

I know your arena situation hasn't necessarily changed recently but my point is that they are often different at shows (sometimes worse but sometimes better) than at home.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Hang in there Tuddy! You've got some good support on this board. It takes time and effort and you are working at it!

I'm paying attention to this thread as I have a bit of a spooky one myself.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

capstone wrote:
I know your arena situation hasn't necessarily changed recently but my point is that they are often different at shows (sometimes worse but sometimes better) than at home.

My horse is often better at shows because there are so many other horses and people around to protect him from the scary stuff. He's still distracted by what the horses and people are doing sometimes, but he's not usually afraid of them. Although there were several people sitting on a bench on a hill next to the ring one time and he thought they looked like they could be predators. :-)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:36 pm

We made it past the baler.... We had one epic spook, and I was like, "Okay buddy, that was you being ignorant because we walked by it five times already, so here we go". And we did many circles in front of the baler/that end of the arena, because "C" can be an issue at times too. Silly monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHgEavZ5_4

But he will always be a spooker. He is a horse that won't let you take a break, for lack of a better term. We were done the lesson and I was walking on a long rein to cool him out and next thing I know, he was scooting out from under me heading across the diagonal as quick as his big ole butt could go. I stuck it out, and we carried on.

Now that we are starting to really ride, I am working on transitions. I need to break out my Centred Riding book as I am having issues engaging my core so that I can sit the transition without throwing my leg out from under me. Suggestions?

And the hands down, work in progress and was thinking grab strap? Thoughts?

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Looked like you had a great lesson! Good riding and Tuddy appeared responsive and cooperative. :)

vkitty
Greenie

Postby vkitty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:30 am

I love him! I think he will get more confident in his work and so will you. You'll be less worried about his spooks. He does appear willing and responsive :) Have you ever done the yoga breathing where you kind of snap your abs back towards your spine? Stand up square, press your fingers to your belly button and blow as if blowing out a candle. For me, this helps access those muscles. Like all yoga things, it becomes more clear with practice.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:46 pm

He is getting better, yet yesterday was the day he decided to bolt when my coach was getting on him and she fell flat on her face and he took off. Little.bugger. We then had a lesson in standing for mounting. We had the vet out for teeth, coggins testing and vaccines last week, I should have had them check his eyes. Kicking myself for not thinking of it.

I ride with Eddo Hoekstra this weekend, hoping Tuddy doesn't think that Eddo sitting in the corner near the baler is a reason to freak out.

On another note though... possible first show next month. Possible. Walk-Trot test. Time to get him off the farm to get him out and socializing.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:20 pm

My guy did that once in the beginning with my instructor too. She had a discussion with him and so far he has never done it again. I think we have finally passed the stinker stage. :roll:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm

I feel for your trainer. Lol.

Let us know how your clinic goes.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Seeing this thread for the first time!! Looks like nice steady progress. :)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Well, he piled my trainer off the mounting block, again, on Tuesday. RRRR!

But I did find out that horses cannot distinguish red. So the big red baler in the corner of the arena is legit something to be worried about.

Bolting from the mounting block is not.

I have a lesson tonite, I will let you know what happens.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:26 pm

oh dear! :)

Return to “Dressage Training”