Contact issues

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Shirrine
Herd Member

Contact issues

Postby Shirrine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:10 am

I have a mare who right from the moment a bit was put in her mouth she rattled on it. I have spent a fortune in trying to find the right bit for her but the problem is still there 2 years later. She has had her teeth done 4 times in those 2 years, her back checked and her saddle checked although she does the same on the lunge. I have tried loose reins and a steady contact, still the rattling. She self carries but just doesn't go into the bridle, looks alright but there is total inconsistency in the hand.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Bats79
Novice

Re: Contact issues

Postby Bats79 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:25 am

If you want some eyes on the ground Shirrine I am travelling to Riddell's Creek to teach pretty consistently now.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for the offer, I have an instructor and once I am strong enough to ge through a lesson I will be back. This has been an ongoing problem without being ridden even. Lunging or long reining.

Shirrine

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:49 am

Shirrine wrote:I have a mare who right from the moment a bit was put in her mouth she rattled on it.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mullen mouth or straight bar bit?

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Use a micklem with the snaps (so the bit cannot affect the bars), try it with a fulmer.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:57 pm

Have used a mullen mouth boucher which seems better than most but it is now banned in competition and I prefer using the same type of bit all the time. Any jointed bit is an issue. I thought she may have had a low pallett but apparently not.

Shirrine

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:25 am

One thought is to play with the height of the bit. Some horses prefer higher bits, others lower. Almost all horses will chomp or play with the bit if it's too low. They won't play with it, or have a much harder time playing with it if it's higher.

A second thought is to try a bitless bridle...and I'm normally someone who turns their nose up at bitless bridles...but, in this case, if the chomping is a manifestation of stress or something along those lines, then maybe training her with no bit until she learns that what you are doing isn't stressful could be worth a try. Train first, introduce bit later.

Good luck and I hope you find something!

Return to “Dressage Training”