Clinic photos (spotty dressage horse)

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Clinic photos (spotty dressage horse)

Postby mari » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 am

I was booked to ride in a clinic with our South African national coach this past Saturday, but had to fly home for a funeral unfortunately. My lovely dressage instructor agreed to ride Odin in my place. We're making our Elementary (2nd level) debut this year. The clinician is happy with his progress, which was good to hear :)

Our homework since our last clinic with her was to really work on suppleness to the left, and to be so super careful to never allow him to curl up deep, especially in the canter. Rather "walk" my hands up and forward. She gave me some good visualisations for this, and I've been diligent. It's still not quite where the right canter is, but we're getting there.

Sitting trot is still my nemesis. I'm being assured it does not look bad at all, but it feels terrible. Practice practice practice...

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Clinic photos (spotty dressage horse)

Postby Flight » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:27 am

He's looking really good! :D

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Wow! He's really beginning to muscle up now and look like a dressage horse. Great job!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 pm

nice progress shown

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:06 pm

great work! thanks for sharing. Can you share more about walking the hands forward? I have a horse that likes to go deep as well.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Lovely!

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 pm

What a handsome fellow!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 am

I just love your boy!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 am

Ryeissa wrote:great work! thanks for sharing. Can you share more about walking the hands forward? I have a horse that likes to go deep as well.

Last year, she first had me try just lifting my hands up and forward briefly, with some leg support. From the beginning, this pretty much made no change in his posture. He would just twitch his head up and then immediately go deep again once my hands went to neutral.

So she told me to think of where I want his head to be as 5, on a scale of 1 to 10. He tends to want to go to 2 or 3, so when I ask for "up", I must try for 7 or 8 for a stride or two, so that when my hands go to neutral he goes "down" to 5. Not sure if this is a helpful visualisation for everyone, but it clicked a bit for me.

So to get up to 7/8, I raise my hands like steps, first the inside a step, then the outside slightly higher, then the inside slightly higher. Up and forward, but with sustained pressure and some leg, until he changes his balance. He seems to react to this slower request much better than a brief upward hh (which we hope to get to, but for now I can't make it work).

I'm not sure how "classical" it is, but over the last year we've had such a huge improvement in his posture at the trot. The canter is still a bit inconsistent and deep, but I think with some sweat it will get there.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 am

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, he really is a love :D

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Lovely!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 am

I had to go back and look at he funny comical horse pic thread. And yes! The spotty horse with the cool hairdo is yours! I love him. I showed it to DH and he said "that's a wig" :lol:

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:24 am

demi wrote:I had to go back and look at he funny comical horse pic thread. And yes! The spotty horse with the cool hairdo is yours! I love him. I showed it to DH and he said "that's a wig" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He really looks ridiculous every time we take plaits out!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 pm

mari wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:great work! thanks for sharing. Can you share more about walking the hands forward? I have a horse that likes to go deep as well.

Last year, she first had me try just lifting my hands up and forward briefly, with some leg support. From the beginning, this pretty much made no change in his posture. He would just twitch his head up and then immediately go deep again once my hands went to neutral.

So she told me to think of where I want his head to be as 5, on a scale of 1 to 10. He tends to want to go to 2 or 3, so when I ask for "up", I must try for 7 or 8 for a stride or two, so that when my hands go to neutral he goes "down" to 5. Not sure if this is a helpful visualisation for everyone, but it clicked a bit for me.

So to get up to 7/8, I raise my hands like steps, first the inside a step, then the outside slightly higher, then the inside slightly higher. Up and forward, but with sustained pressure and some leg, until he changes his balance. He seems to react to this slower request much better than a brief upward hh (which we hope to get to, but for now I can't make it work).

I'm not sure how "classical" it is, but over the last year we've had such a huge improvement in his posture at the trot. The canter is still a bit inconsistent and deep, but I think with some sweat it will get there.

Makes sense! thanks~ I've had a lot of success thinking "up and out when" I use the reins (one at a time, like for bending) not back and down which is very common. This keeps the bit higher up in his mouth.

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:42 pm

He looks great mari, he's filled out and looking so much stronger in these last pics!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:26 pm

What breed is he? He is lovely.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks PaulaO :)

He's out of an Appaloosa mare, by a big Belgian wb stallion called Ulior van het Wuitenshof (http://www.capital-stud.co.za/ulior.html).

Fortunately he inherited his dad's lush mane and tail, and not the typical Appaloosa wisps :D

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 pm

I love him. <3

Return to “Dressage Training”