a few questions before I royally mess up the horse I'm leasing

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
horsepepsi
Greenie

a few questions before I royally mess up the horse I'm leasing

Postby horsepepsi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:01 pm

As some/most know I started leasing a horse a few days ago. And our first two rides were just getting to know each other and me taking mental notes and attempting to think of what to do do and what not to do
I'm surprised on how much I remember both muscle and mental .
The two biggest things that I feel we need to work on his softness on his ride side right now his mouth is hard as a rock just on that side. His left is just ok not wonderful but I think once he starts to relax a little on the right his left will relax a bit more. Right now he goes in a regular d-ring. Not to thin not to thick. I don't want to use side reins, and I'll stay far far away from draw reins as I think that is part of the problem. I really don't want to drag out my german reins because I really don't think they will help in this case at all. I really want to stay away from gadgets. Not because I don't know how to use them I do, but I don't want to use them.
The other problem it's that his face does a nose dive when he is asked to do anything. Which is why I think drawreins are at the root of many of his problems. To his credit he understands how to use his hind end but not on a consistent basis. And he knows how to properly back Yahoo!

My thoughts on this are the following
Maybe use any of the following or combination there of, a roller, a copper, or (was it PaulaO) a French link. The roller to get him to play with the bit some and playing wIth it he will eventually soften his mouth in a nicer way than let's say than just full copper bit which I like. The copper bit would work faster I think but I don't know if that'd be the way to go with him. He is the perfect horse (except his trot, very bouncy have to get uuussseeeddd ttttooo sssiiittttiiinnnggg ttthhhaaattt ) he just needs someone who had been taught how to do some things and doesn't want to take shortcuts. And has a wonderful resource to ask if stuck on something.
And I've not used a French link so I don't know how they work what type of action on what how etc. Uhh someone could fill me in I'd appreciate it.

Do you think a flash or a figure 8 when inducing the new bit would do any good? Or do more harm than good.
Tia
HP

horsepepsi
Greenie

Re: a few questions before I royally mess up the horse I'm leasing

Postby horsepepsi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Dont know how to edit it subject line but it's hoRes..... ggggrrrrrr

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: a few questions before I royally mess up the hoes I'm leasing

Postby Sue B » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm

personally, I would not use a flash or figure of 8 when changing bits. Change only one thing at a time, wait a few rides and assess where you are, then make another change and so on. You two are new to each other, so take your time. :D

So far as "bending", start with trying to get an even bend in the walk by doing large circles and wavy lines with frequent but gradual changes of bend. Make things easy so he can learn to trust your judgment. He's no doubt used to simply taking care of the rider on his back and making all the major decisions. Above all, have an awesome time with him. I saw his pic in the OL, he looks like a very kind and willing animal.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Could he need his teeth floated? My new mare is leaning and harder on the left side - felt her teeth and she has some sharp points. I'll get her floated and see if that helps even out her mouth.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm

A french link prevents the nutcracker effect of a regular snaffle. Many horses have a shallow or low palate which a regular snaffle will poke the roof of the mouth when used. I have found, (in my experience), all my horses but one preferred a french link to a regular snaffle, and the one that was too fussy with a FL goes best in a mullen mouth snaffle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:37 pm

i think hard on one side of the mouth has more to do with lack of suppleness, and i do not change the bit to try and correct that. i work on changes of bend and changes of direction to get the horse equal in each rein. i try to be spongier on the heavy side, and keep consistent contact on the lighter side and keep the horse working more uphill..

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I second the thought on checking out his teeth. Definitely only change one thing at a time with bits (my horses tend to like the french-link as well), and since you want him chewing and relaxing, I'd maybe even forgo the noseband entirely in the beginning (esp. if he's more accustomed to a western bridle). If you know how to do flexions from the ground, I'd start there, but otherwise, in addition to all the wide curves and changes of direction, I'd work on positioning at the poll (flex left, flex right, small amounts in the beginning). Not see-sawing, but positioning.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:56 pm

horsepepsi wrote:Dont know how to edit it subject line but it's hoRes..... ggggrrrrrr

I did it for you.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:13 pm

I would talk to the owner, as someone who has leased out horses it infuriated me to find out that a leasee has changed tack to 'improve' the horse without my permission. 2 rides isnt' enough to really know how he is, i would leave him in his current tack for at least a month or 2 before suggesting any changes.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 am

My favourite bit is a French link with a little copper barrel roller on the link. I have it in a d-ring as well as a loose ring. I like the French link for the reasons mentioned above by others, and the little copper barrel on the link encourages salivation and playing or movement in the jaw. (My mare tends towards a dry, quiet mouth. She doesn't clench, but she just doesn't move her mouth)

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 am

You are describing a crooked, unbalanced horse. That is not fixed with auxilliary aids and new bits and it is not the horse's fault or an attitude defect. It takes time to re-develop the muscular mass so the horse is even on both sides and can use himself evenly rather than have a contracted side. This will help you understand what you are dealing with:

Dr. Ridgway's article on Laterality, Part 1
http://digital.turn-page.com/i/44674-oc ... er-2011/75

Dr. Ridgway's article on Laterality, Part 2
http://digital.turn-page.com/i/49136-de ... 11-2012/67
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:01 pm

ProudHorse wrote:You are describing a crooked, unbalanced horse. That is not fixed with auxilliary aids and new bits and it is not the horse's fault or an attitude defect. It takes time to re-develop the muscular mass so the horse is even on both sides and can use himself evenly rather than have a contracted side. This will help you understand what you are dealing with:

agreed, it amazes and saddens me that people went with bit suggestions for what is obviously problem relating to strength and suppleness.

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Lots of good observations & advice. If it were me & the horse were mine, I would have an excellent equine dentist out to check his teeth. Ramps, sharp teeth, and/or long molars can cause a horse to have a hard mouth on one side and/or be resistant to flexing or turning.

If his teeth check out fine and he's still hard to one side, I'd probably comb the reins to encourage him to soften.

Good luck with your new horse.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Unless it's part of your agreement that you have freedom to make changes I would have a discussion with the owner.

Sometimes the answers come with a little work ---these green horses just need time and muscle... but if that is not enough--- to unravel possible medical reasons for resistance can cost a ton of money and efrort. Many owners who ride casually don't see the need for any workups and don't want to change tack. their horse, their decision. Sometimes we are such problem solvers that snags are easy to hit when we enter into business relationships with those who don't think this way.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:33 am

Do you know what the horse was doing before you got him?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:30 am

Does he nosedive towards the ground or towards his chest?

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:17 pm

How are you doing with the new horse?
I very much agree with all who have said "Take it slowly". Enjoy the good looking boy and stay relaxed enough to have fun. He already looks like a good citizen so any improvements that might happen while you have him will just be icing on the cake!

Return to “Dressage Training”