Training goals, mid Feb to end March.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
klark_kent07
Novice

Re: Training goals, mid Feb to end March.

Postby klark_kent07 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:33 am

Sorry to everyone that has been sick :(

Great weekend for Kent and I at the first competition for the year. Was just a nice relaxed training comp but after a tough week (that old 2 steps forward, one step backwards thing!) we had an excellent weekend and Kent really stepped up. 67.77% in the Novice and 66.66% in the Elementary, winning both tests and coming away with overall Senior Champion. It was nice to get a couple of 8's and to see the huge improvement in our medium trot- finally!

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Wow KK, he looks REALLY good. I love those pictures of medium trot, and how far he's reaching under himself in the canter. Beautiful.

I did finally get to ride yesterday and got to start breaking in the new boots I bought weeks ago. :-) Both boys were their usual wonderful selves but I didn't ask for much as I am behind on hoof trimmimg. Fatcat sold me a bridle which fits Tio almost perfectly and which he finds most comfortable. No more head fussiness when i take up contact, no more leaning on the bit either--just a happy camper now. Rudy was seriously behind the leg at the beginning so we did a hundred halt, trot, halts with some tof thrown in to verify yielding to either leg. Presto, bingo, no more behind the leg, no more bracing at base of neck, just happy forward boy, and so we went for a lovely walk.

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 am

Thanks Sue B, that medium trot has been our nemesis for a long time so to finally have a little break through is great! Gives me the motivation to keep pushing on with it and trying to improve :)

What new boots did you get Sue?

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 am

He's looking amazing Klark_kent!! Congrats on your results, it's so cool when your work pays off!

My last event for March with my young horse. His first time at these grounds and again he didn't put a foot wrong and even had a snooze at the float in the afternoon. For such a scardey cat 3yo he is getting the hang of life as a 4yo.
He's a bit too smart though, already he knows centrelines means stop (I've only done actual halts in tests) and I was only thinking canter that was coming up and pop he was cantering! It's going to take a while for him be balanced and me to ride him well, but at least he's proving easy to take out (so far, I don't want to count my chickens yet!)

NorseyYoung3small.jpg
NorseyYoung3small.jpg (162.32 KiB) Viewed 10187 times

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 am

Klark Kent and Flight, looking good! It's so inspiring to watch your progress. Since I keep Emma at home and don't get out much (yet), I wouldn't get to see other horse/rider pairs as they journey along except for the Internet.

Last week I got in 4 rides and one longe. One of the rides was a good 40 minute workout which told me that both of us need to increase our strength.

This week I have been using an exercise that I found on Dressage Hub from George Williams. It's called "four exercises for putting your horse on the bit". It is a great help in more than just putting the horse on the bit. It is helping me to shift my thinking (and body) from one rein to the other quickly. When I first watched it I thought it looked pretty easy but it was a lot harder than it looked. The exercises fit perfectly into my current, very simple program with Emma.

I got the Tota Comfort noseband but they sent the wrong width so I am still waiting on that. I get the occasional nose flipping still but I don't think it has to do with the bridle or bit, or even my own contact through the reins. It happens toward the end of the rides (she did on the longe, too, toward the end of the workout) and I think she is just saying the work is hard! I have been working with a personal trainer myself and I am aware of how it feels when he pushes me out of my comfort zone.

So even though I don't think the special noseband is necessary in Emma's case, I still think it will be more comfortable for her.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 pm

SueB, I channeled you last night as I had a sucked back, behind the leg, can't be bothered horse when we first got going, so we did a billion transitions and it worked into a forward, ears up, happy fellow. Thank you, ma'am! We had some very nice canter transitions and some lovely trot work and some pleasantly correct shoulder-in.

Then there was a very loud explosion from the next-door barn... HUGE boom, barking dogs, running horses, yelling children, screaming adults. Just a normal day at the barn, really.

Laddie was actually really good. Leapt about 15 feet into the air and danced around a bit, but came back to me and carried on working, though his giant ears were going like propellers and our canter departs were quite big... I should probably have used it as an excuse to work on our mediums but I will admit I chickened out on that :)

I shan't miss the bombproofing opportunities from the loons next door.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Moutaineer wrote:

Then there was a very loud explosion from the next-door barn... HUGE boom, barking dogs, running horses, yelling children, screaming adults. Just a normal day at the barn, really.

Laddie was actually really good. Leapt about 15 feet into the air and danced around a bit, but came back to me and carried on working, though his giant ears were going like propellers and our canter departs were quite big... I should probably have used it as an excuse to work on our mediums but I will admit I chickened out on that :)

I shan't miss the bombproofing opportunities from the loons next door.

Wow! Nice report on how you handled things with Laddie. Personally, I'm glad you didn't push forward into working on mediums. As an amateur, (an OLD one at that), I am interested in how to handle potentially dangerous situations effectively while staying safe at the same time. Sounds like that's what you did.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Glad I was of help Moutaineer, getting him in front of your leg probably contributed to his good behavior when all heck broke loose next door! I am wishing I had an indoor right now with the crazy, cold winds we are having. Oh well, this too shall pass. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:52 am

Sue B wrote:Glad I was of help Moutaineer, getting him in front of your leg probably contributed to his good behavior when all heck broke loose next door! I am wishing I had an indoor right now with the crazy, cold winds we are having. Oh well, this too shall pass. :lol:

True, that. Sloping along behind my leg today engendered stupidity over his own shadow on a jump standard. Idjit...

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:05 am

I'm excited for the April/May thread. I should have something to post, finally!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:06 pm

capstone wrote:I'm excited for the April/May thread. I should have something to post, finally!

Yeah, me too :)
Now-ex-trainer no showed again yesterday, and now it's snowing, so I think riding life is on hold until the Big Move on Friday...

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 pm

I'd been avoiding this thread for the better part of a week as part of my tried-and-true coping strategy with things I feel guilty about because, for various work-related reasons, Kiwi has had 10+ days off between the end of Feb through yesterday.

But yesterday I went out immediately after work, got to ride outside in the daylight, and had just a great time. I feel so much better. She's pretty out of shape and has a history of stifles sticking a bit when she's not in constant work, so we're going to table flying changes and collection for a while. But even with the time off, she's so much more fun to ride now at 9yrs old than she was at 5-7. Hurray grown up pony!

Return to “Dressage Training”