Cartier's stories

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
capstone
Herd Member

Cartier's stories

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Not competing at exactly the same shows but working/schooling towards both at the same time. I (amateur owner) am only at Training/First level competence and we are discussing her taking him out at PSG. He was shown through 'S' level in Germany before I bought/imported him a year ago.

My work out of the country has really messed up my riding/showing goals. I don't want to give them up altogether but I am trying to be realistic about what I will be able to accomplish only coming home for one week each month. I would like him to keep moving forward even if (especially if?) I am not.

Have you seen something like this work?
Last edited by capstone on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: AA rider and trainer showing horse at the same time?

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 pm

USEF Dressage rules are that the horse can only show at consecutive levels (for a maximum of 3 tests/day) at any given show. However, there are no rules about what the horse can show in a year-- or even at two different rated shows in the same weekend (e.g. Dressage Classic I, Dressage Classic II). He could absolutely show under you at the aforementioned DCI at TL/1st and under your pro in DCI at 1st; or under your pro in DCII at 4th/PSG.

I'd make clear what your goals are though. Training to be a great PSG horse and training to be a great schoolmaster may be two separate things, depending on your horse's brain.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I'd make clear what your goals are though. Training to be a great PSG horse and training to be a great schoolmaster may be two separate things, depending on your horse's brain.

This is more the nature of my question. I'm familiar with the rules. I'm actually considering having her show him in April and then me a month later. I will not even be in the states for the April show unfortunately.

So far, it has been working ok. Well I should say that he is developing quite nicely for her now that I am away so much. He knew all the movements when I bought him, he just needs more polishing. He does have a wonderful brain and generally tolerates me quite well. This is why I bought him.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:07 pm

I'd say that it depends on the horse, which is ultimately not a helpful response at all.

Absolutely it's invaluable to learn this sport on a horse with training. However, if you start asking for big scores at the shows, it may be at the expense of some rideability. They've got to be really hot to the aids to be successful at FEI, and that can be a detriment to their ability to take a joke.

Training all the movements at home can be a completely different story, because you always have the luxury of space and "just one more shot". Things can be quite a bit lower-stress for everyone involved.

I've seen it work out, and in those cases the trainer was absolutely training the horse with the amateur in mind.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:04 pm

I think a good "AA" horse will not get all hot and difficult to ride for a lower level rider. I used to show my trainer's PSG horse in Training Level and take lessons on him, and he was patient, tolerant and a wonderful schoolmaster. He taught me how things should feel and it was fun playing around with flying lead changes, SI, HI, piaffe and passage every so often.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:39 pm

If he is in general a good boy, then I think give it a try. If you take him to a show and you realize that you have too much horse under you, then you can always scratch and reevaluate your plan, but I wouldn't sell yourself short without trying at first.

What does your trainer suggest?

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:04 pm

HafDressage wrote:If he is in general a good boy, then I think give it a try. If you take him to a show and you realize that you have too much horse under you, then you can always scratch and reevaluate your plan, but I wouldn't sell yourself short without trying at first.

She is on board.

One thing I have noticed is that recently, he will offer me passage. My trainer isn't even working on passage with him. But my legs get too far back. :oops: No good for Training Level!

He is a very good boy who, if anything, is a bit of a push ride. So far, it seems like he's becoming a nice sort of responsive and not hot. Yet.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:06 pm

LeoApp wrote:I think a good "AA" horse will not get all hot and difficult to ride for a lower level rider. I used to show my trainer's PSG horse in Training Level and take lessons on him, and he was patient, tolerant and a wonderful schoolmaster. He taught me how things should feel and it was fun playing around with flying lead changes, SI, HI, piaffe and passage every so often.

I have done flying changes on him before but not any other "tricks". Now we are deliberately going back to the basics to see what I could get done there. I actually scored 69 and 71 at Training 3 last spring but then life and work got in the way. I would have hoped we'd be knocking out those scores at First Level by now. But alas, no.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:They've got to be really hot to the aids to be successful at FEI, and that can be a detriment to their ability to take a joke.

I'm certain this is why he was available for me to buy. His prior owner had FEI aspirations and my boy is NOT hot. He was traded in for a younger, fancier model. Lucky me!! And my trainer really believes in him. She has already mentioned plans for I1. :shock:

Ponichiwa wrote:I've seen it work out, and in those cases the trainer was absolutely training the horse with the amateur in mind.

This was previously always the idea. I'm honestly not sure if it is still the case - I guess not if she is working on PSG.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Ponichiwa nailed it and I think this is a good example of the reason why people differentiate between an AA horse and a Professional's horse.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 pm

capstone wrote:
HafDressage wrote:If he is in general a good boy, then I think give it a try. If you take him to a show and you realize that you have too much horse under you, then you can always scratch and reevaluate your plan, but I wouldn't sell yourself short without trying at first.

She is on board.

One thing I have noticed is that recently, he will offer me passage. My trainer isn't even working on passage with him. But my legs get too far back. :oops: No good for Training Level!

He is a very good boy who, if anything, is a bit of a push ride. So far, it seems like he's becoming a nice sort of responsive and not hot. Yet.

So, I think this speaks volumes about your trainer. I've seen this situation go the other way so many times and it's nice to hear about a trainer that is encouraging you despite your time limitations. I've seen many cases where the trainer eventually takes over the horse and the AA owner "can't" ride it and the horse sort of just becomes the trainers ride with little concern for the happiness of the AA. So, it definitely sounds like the trainer has your best interests in mind.

Also, your passage button sounds awesome! :)

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 pm

LeoApp wrote:Ponichiwa nailed it and I think this is a good example of the reason why people differentiate between an AA horse and a Professional's horse.

My trainer has said previously that he would make a very nice YR horse. I guess this falls closer to the professional on the spectrum than the amateur.

Having said that, I expect him to be the nicest AA horse being ridden by his trainer at the show! :mrgreen: We aren't trying for the Pan Am Games or anything! Lol

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:17 pm

The wonderful boy in question, with me aboard.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.08 KiB) Viewed 26267 times

And another picture, just because I'm a proud mama! 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (217.56 KiB) Viewed 26266 times

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:43 pm

HafDressage wrote:
capstone wrote:

She is on board.

So, I think this speaks volumes about your trainer. I've seen this situation go the other way so many times and it's nice to hear about a trainer that is encouraging you despite your time limitations. I've seen many cases where the trainer eventually takes over the horse and the AA owner "can't" ride it and the horse sort of just becomes the trainers ride with little concern for the happiness of the AA. So, it definitely sounds like the trainer has your best interests in mind.

Also, your passage button sounds awesome! :)

My trainer was content to keep him tuned up for me, making sure he was ready for me when I do get the chance to ride. I mentioned the idea to her - for her to show him - during my trip home in January. She was the one who offered up the idea of doing both.

She told me to save the passage for her, lol. :lol:

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:41 am

Gosh, I love that horse :)

demi

Postby demi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:21 pm

I like your boy, too. This is an interesting thread. Thanks for sharing and I'm cheering for you.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 am

My trainer plans to try him at PSG at our schooling show (hosted at his stables) this weekend! I will arrive home just in time to see it. 8-)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Glad you have such a great situation for you and your horse to develop both separately and together! That will be fun for you to seeing him doing a PSG test. Wishing you on-going joy and success with your handsome fellow.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:33 pm

He got a 67%. :mrgreen: 8-)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Niiiiiiiiice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 pm

A few mistakes but a really nice FEI debut.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (141.55 KiB) Viewed 26129 times

(He was the only one in the class but I think he deserves his blue)

And now, not only are we definitely planning for her to show him at a rated show next month at PSG, but she is considering throwing in an I1 "for grins". She thinks he is close. And she still thinks me showing him in May can work.

Now, back to the original question of the thread...how will he be for me at my lesson on Tuesday? We'll see!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Awesome!!
And he will be wonderful for your lesson, I just know it.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:17 pm

A good schoolmaster has the capacity to match the level of the rider. Unless your trainer jazzes him up too much, he will probably find it the best of both worlds. We put some of our higher level horses in lower level lessons for this reason. The lower level riders can keep the horses fit without stressing them as much. The hroses get regularly work outs interspersed with higher level training rides. Before a trainer show, the other rider takes a few weeks to a month off so the horse can be tuned up for that level.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Kathy Johnson wrote:A good schoolmaster has the capacity to match the level of the rider. Unless your trainer jazzes him up too much, he will probably find it the best of both worlds...

Before a trainer show, the other rider takes a few weeks to a month off so the horse can be tuned up for that level.

My trainer, yesterday, compared him to a diesel engine - he takes a bit of time to warm up. She said that, by her ride time, he was finally the right level of responsive. This after a very deliberate warm-up. I think we will be fine on Tuesday.

Their next competition is in 3 weeks and I will be riding him this week, which is not the best I guess. But it will be very controlled with her starting him and me finishing the ride.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous horse. (And I love the brown color of your boots, vest and full seats!)

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Amado wrote:Wow, what a gorgeous horse. (And I love the brown color of your boots, vest and full seats!)

Thanks! The outfit looks even better with my brown Cavallos. These in the picture are just my walkin' around boots. :D

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 pm

He was great today, with 30mph winds outside and the arena creaking and groaning. If anything, he was a little lazy. That's my boy! :lol:

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:07 pm

Yesterday, my trainer ran him through the I-1 movements before I got on and did simple walk/trot/canter. I love my boy!

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:46 pm

I think this sounds like a great arrangement. your trainer gets good feedback at shows for her progressing training and you get a horse that will be ready for you when you ride

You are going to be able to advance through the knowledge of the levels on a well trained horse.

he sounds like a dreamboat

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:04 pm

hoopoe wrote:he sounds like a dreamboat

He is. I could not be more blessed to have him.

He is a little low in the poll here, but I love the reach he is showing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.8 KiB) Viewed 25980 times

He's more up here but also a little more tense.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 25980 times

Proud of himself...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 25980 times

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:58 pm

And here he is yesterday after our lesson, with a local Girl Scout troop
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.47 KiB) Viewed 25973 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:33 am

Great photos!!! And congrats for his first FEI test! Nice score.
He looks and sounds like a lovely horse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 am

Well how was he for your lesson after the FEI, did you find him more sensitive?

He is lovely

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! (Of course you know that already though! :) )

Thank-you for sharing the pics of him and please don't stop!!!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:32 pm

I somehow missed the pictures until now! You two look very good together.

Good job, Capstone!!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 pm

Chisamba wrote:Well how was he for your lesson after the FEI, did you find him more sensitive?

He is lovely

He is becoming perfectly rideable. I would not classify it as sensitive. As I mentioned, he was just a touch dull before we started this program. I had 4 great rides while I was home, after the PSG test. I could not be happier.

Thank you.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:19 pm

demi wrote:I somehow missed the pictures until now! You two look very good together.

Good job, Capstone!!

The recent pics are of my trainer riding him. She did the PSG.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:27 pm

So...today was his first PSG at a rated show, with my trainer. I am not there, if you recall. I am actually on a small weekend holiday in Barcelona by myself. :lol:

She messaged me after and said that he had warmed up for a 70% but then he took on some tension between the warmup and the competition ring and it affected his trot work, as usual. He was not completely focused and then a horse very close to the outside of the ring spooked and reared. Cartier didn't "do" anything more than stop. (Between the lines of 4s and 3s.). But that didn't help with his focus or tension.

They managed a score of 60.8 which is not a terrible score but the circumstances were not what we were hoping for. She and I are both optimistic for tomorrow. Having said that, tomorrow is the Intermediare 1 that she decided to throw in so that could go either way! Wish them luck.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Rosie B wrote:He is absolutely gorgeous!!! (Of course you know that already though! :) )

Thank-you for sharing the pics of him and please don't stop!!!

I happen to think he is stunning, myself. :mrgreen:

There is another horse in the barn whose barn name is Handsome. Everytime I hear the name said, I think "Nope, MINE is the handsome one." :oops: :lol:

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:23 am

He is stunning, Capstone, and even better clearly has a wonderful mind. That is just so huge and IMO under-rated.

Challenging PSG with trainer, but I wish them the best in the next test! It is lovely that he and your trainer are able to adjust to the necessary support for a given level. True gems---and beautiful! You need to keep sharing photos. And having fun weekend getaways in Europe!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:45 am

Just a PSA, my Balkenol spurs left stains like that on my white horse's sides. I painted the spurs with clear nail varnish and it stopped.

kcmel
Greenie

Postby kcmel » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Beautiful horse! I have similar plans for my young horse. See where my dressage and event trainer can take him, while I compete him at the lower levels. I keep my guy at home, so I ride him most of the time. Which means it will take longer to bring him along, but I am in no hurry.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:56 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.5 KiB) Viewed 25826 times

Hopefully he was more settled today. I am waiting to hear.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:46 pm

He won his class with a 65.3%!!! Highest score of the four I1 horses today. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Here is a grainy screen capture from the video.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 25812 times

And with his FEI Reserve Champion ribbon.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.61 KiB) Viewed 25812 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Congrats!!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Oh, lovely results and photo evidence! He is clearly very proud of himself and ready for his admirers to arrive. So fun for you! I think you all made quite a find with your "diesel engine" fellow.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:37 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Oh, lovely results and photo evidence! He is clearly very proud of himself and ready for his admirers to arrive. So fun for you! I think you all made quite a find with your "diesel engine" fellow.

He's silly about certain things. Apparently the tails on a shadbelly are on that list. :? But he tends to stop or "not do" something rather than run off or "do" anything.

We were back to PSG today and he managed a 64.737% for 1st place despite mistakes in both the 4s AND 3s. :shock: They are usually his best bits. He got an 8 for his 2s yesterday. 8-)
Last edited by capstone on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:40 pm

I talked to my trainer of course, saw a few short video clips and I know my boy. By which I mean to say - there is loads to improve. But it's nice that the judges seem to like what they are seeing so far.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:44 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Oh, lovely results and photo evidence! He is clearly very proud of himself and ready for his admirers to arrive. So fun for you! I think you all made quite a find with your "diesel engine" fellow.

Oh, and I think it's good that he will have nearly a week to let down before I get home and ride him. I think he must be as "sensitive" as he has ever been after this 3-day show weekend.

Return to “Dressage Training”