Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Rye, my mare used to think it was against for the law for me to touch the right rein. Seriously. She would stop, throw her head, throw her body and do anything to avoid it. That was 2 years ago.

Now she will let me connect on the right, but she will look for a way out (over bend, swing haunches left). If I am not careful, she will find it! She is figuring out that every time she does this, I will get after her (right, usually) hind. It is a process, but it is different than two years ago. I have not solved this and we are not perfect.

It sounds like you have similar bend/weakness issues. My mare's left hind is stronger, but bending is harder.

Her right hind is still the weaker hind, and it is the one I focus more on strengthening. For example, in shoulder in right I am careful to not use too much angle to just work that right hind and not allow for any escape out the left hind. I also do a fair bit of counter flexion on the right rein when needed (esp. in canter transitions within gait as this seems to prepare her to take the right rein in trot).

My impression from this work is that it takes time and it can improve. It also takes persistence and commitment! And none of this stuff is that strange in horses. I think it is part of the work of training to address these differences. I'll add that many 2nd, 3rd, 4th level horses still struggle and have to deal with these issues. You are not alone.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Chisamba wrote:Ryeissa, could It simply be that he respects you on the ground more, and moves out of your space ?

I wondered that too, but why is this correlated Left and Right? He doesn't do it at all going left.

Could also be that I had a whip in this un-mounted work, maybe I was holding it differently in the right, but I remember him doing this before with out a whip.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Rye, I have a similar situation with my youngster, maybe it will help answer your question. Tio has been extremely one-sided since I purchased him as a long yearling. I have spent the past several years gradually evenning things out from the ground but I am sure it will always be that working from the right side will be more challenging than from the left. Up in the saddle, he tends to over bend to the left and fall out on his right shoulder yet some how avoid right rein contact. Now he is just coming 5 and had a lot of down time due to growth issues and annoying injuries so he's a little behind in training and every ride is a little bit different but this one thing is fairly consistent (and opposite of Rudy). I work him from the ground only once a week or so (other than very correct lunging) and actually spend a little more time on the left than the right because it's hard for him. As soon as he gets a correct response, I praise and go back to the left do something easy for him and then back to the right. Doing it this way has resulted in him becoming much straighter under saddle and more willing to work through frustration.

I know Riot is a 2nd lvl pony now, but I think you have found an important hole that needs filling. Were it i, I would continue to do the ground work until the right side is close to the same as the left and see if that doesn't transfer to better straightness under saddle (even though it seems like the crookedness is opposite.) I think some horses are simply more one-sided than others and need help developing coordination on the "bad" side.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sat May 14, 2016 8:31 pm

It's May and I'm back in Switzerland now. Actually in Wiesbaden, Germany, this weekend for the WDM. But I digress. I'm back overseas and so my trainer has taken back the ride on Cartier.

I was contemplating what he and I have accomplished and I went looking for this.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.6 KiB) Viewed 25344 times

It cracks me up for some reason. And next month he will be back at Intermediare 1! :lol:

(You can also clearly see how my scores have dropped since I took this job. :cry: )

My trainer thinks, and I completely agree, that this "program" we are on with him (her doing FEI, me doing First level at the moment) is doing great things for all of us. It was the perfect solution for my situation. I do worry that my crummy lower level scores are detracting from his otherwise awesomeness. But she said it shows his character and versatility. So I'll hold onto that.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 pm

It must be very difficult with as much traveling as you do. Have a good time in Germany this week.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat May 14, 2016 9:19 pm

capstone wrote:I do worry that my crummy lower level scores are detracting from his otherwise awesomeness. But she said it shows his character and versatility. So I'll hold onto that.

Guarantee you he doesn't worry about his record on Centerline Scores. Keep enjoying your great horse!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 pm

So true that your horse doesn't mind :-) And that is why he is such a gem! Not just his overall handsomeness :-D

Hope you have a great trip and a great month!

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun May 15, 2016 4:40 am

Chisamba wrote:It must be very difficult with as much traveling as you do. Have a good time in Germany this week.

The trip from Geneva to Frankfurt was a breeze but the novelty of the transatlantic flights has definitely worn off and they are certainly taking a toll.

Thank you! If I can't be around my own ponies, I like to be around others.

Here is this morning's start list for dressage. They are also running jumping and vaulting competitions at this event.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (191.01 KiB) Viewed 25315 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 15, 2016 9:47 am

I would love to see Anabel Balkenhol ride live. Valentina Tuppa too despite the current scandal embroiling her. I am guessing Isabel Werth and Fabi Lutkemeier will put is solid performances.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 15, 2016 11:22 am

Chisamba wrote:I would love to see Anabel Balkenhol ride live. Valentina Tuppa too despite the current scandal embroiling her. I am guessing Isabel Werth and Fabi Lutkemeier will put is solid performances.

me, too! Also would love to watch Isabell Werth and Hubertus Schmidt!!

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 15, 2016 11:31 am

Capstone, I'm glad you are getting some quality horse time in while you work! DH used to travel internationally often and it was grueling. At least you are able to watch some of the best of the best IRL! That's exciting. Hopefully you'll have time to share some inspirational thoughts with us after watching!

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 15, 2016 11:54 am

May is half over and it looks like we are all progressing. Good for us and our horses!

I am riding Emma every other day, giving her a relatively good work out. Forward, short rein, lots of change in gait and direction. The program seems to be working. In the last four rides the head flipping has been almost gone. The canter work is feeling good and on Friday it felt good enough to add a little counter canter. We've had a lot of rainy, windy weather lately and she got a little frisky in the canter. I was tempted to ride more canter than usual because she felt somgood,but I knew better than to push things....all I did was the cc movement from Second Level test 1. It's only a short bit if cc and ends in a transition to walk which worked especially well that day in controlling her friskiness.

We have leg yield, SI, HI, W to C, C to W, back four steps, collected and medium trot, and beginning CC. It looks like a good summer ahead for us!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes, time is flying by. We've made progress, but such baby steps! Pickle's chest wound is almost closed up, and we are back to doing in-hand work. She's getting very good at squaring up her hind legs usually with just a point to the trailing hind, but sometimes she needs a tap too. She got half of a bath yesterday, but I could see her starting to stress out, so we stopped, and will try to get the rest of the body done today. She's also tolerating fly spray much better, self-loading, and allowing me to syringe water into her mouth (we were doing SMZs when she first got injured and that went really bad after about the third dose). Today I need to get her in the roundpen with the HSH side reins on. She was doing really well at ground driving, and didn't seem to mind the gear, but had a pretty dramatic flip-out last weekend when she did a little spook from the side reins and then was apparently startled by the HSH reins flopping around. Didn't help that she's only been getting separate turnout in a small paddock instead of the pasture since getting kicked, so the pent-up energy put her over the top. I'm starting to learn her better, so I can improve on how I desensitize her, which I think she really needs. She's usually quiet, but for instance, still twitches her flanks when being sprayed with a mist of water, so it's a matter of stopping before her stimuli threshold is reached and she decides she's had it.
Keep calm and canter on.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun May 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Chisamba wrote:Valentina Tuppa too despite the current scandal embroiling her.

Scandal? Do tell. :oops:

Yes, all the names mentioned (except Valentina) plus Bernadette Brune did great.

Valentina rode in uniform. She seemed to have the least polished seat of the group. Effective but not very elegant like I've come to expect.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 15, 2016 10:32 pm

http://www.dressage-international.com/?p=38132

The FISE hasc suspended her father, I believe, and sent a letter to her too, but it's hard top find the details.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (131.15 KiB) Viewed 25268 times

Fabienne and Valentina were wonderful tonight. Filipe and Thomas were crowd favorites too.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=36256

There was a little Q&A with each of the last 5 riders tonight. The bit with Valentina was sweet, asking about her 19 year old horse who has been with her since he was 3.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 16, 2016 12:05 am

It is said that her seat has not returned to its original skill yet since her head injury. ( Valentina)

How was Rothenbergers ride.

It sounds like a fabulous experience.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 am

Capstone, that would be great to watch in real life.

This thread is good reading everyone's riding.

I had a good weekend with my young horse. He is 4 (rising 5). I want to do low level eventing with him, so he had his first day at Jump Club on saturday. Just doing cross rails. It's mostly about the outings, and getting into the ring and not being scared of all the jumps. He was great! He is turning out to be a sensible horse, a year ago I would never have thought he would be so good.
We also did the 45 -55cm (lol tiny I know) and he demolished a couple of jumps, but it didn't upset him.
On Sunday we had a dressage comp doing Prelim/Training level. We did demolish part of the longside (ooops) but again, it didn't worry him, and we continued on as if nothing happened! To be honest, it was poor riding on my behalf, but the judge thought it was bad luck (I spoke to her afterwards) and we ended up first in that class.

more fun with pics!
jumpclub1s.jpg
jumpclub1s.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 25243 times

marc9s.jpg
marc9s.jpg (131.78 KiB) Viewed 25243 times

marc8s.jpg
marc8s.jpg (119.69 KiB) Viewed 25243 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Flight!! Progress! thanks for sharing. You and your horse look balanced and in harmony together. I like how he uses his ears. Forward when they need to be, and back when he's looking to you for direction.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Straightforward, I liked reading about your progress with Pickle. "Baby steps". I relate because I am taking baby steps with Emma, too. But those baby steps lead to stuff like you pointed out, reading the horse better so you can improve on how you proceed.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 16, 2016 3:07 pm

So I sort of mis-read that right side thing-- he is still doing it on the ground but I'm also seeing more of the haunches moving away, so that is why he seemed to be doing a LY out. Trainer had some great advice.

We are definitely reaching a new point now where I can start to ride in self carraige since he is more straight in the reins. His asymmetries are fine tuned LOL. What I mean is not such a large correction is needed, I have to change my mindset as things evolve.

Also happy to report that in the TOH (walk) I got slammed for not keeping the 4 beats- before I was more focused on him not running through my aids that the "stopping" (and bending) was emphasized- made him sit down-- now we are making them a bit bigger again but keeping the activity. He maintains the bend and "stoppage" a bit more naturally. Whew!

Self carraige at walk- check. about 60% in trot.

canter is taking a break- trainer is working on T-C transitions for me. Its a bit of a struggle. His canter itself is super, very engaged. Riot has a lot of mental tension in getting ready to canter- he LOVES it and wants to leap into it with JOY! this also means he doesn't think he has to really stay straight....ah that's no fun mom! Lets just do it! :) He really is trying to understand the new body position.

I have purposely stacked shows more towards fall to allow myself as much time as we need to ingrain these new patterns. If I put any stress of shows on myself it would just not be as enjoyable. Its not as linear in the sense we are doing very high level lateral work, at walk, but no canter. So I can do elements of 3rd but not training. Ha! Its ok, we are seeing a lot of progress. I just have to surrender to the process a bit more. I realized the huge gaps in some places, so I could not expect proper 2nd.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Sounds like lots of progress is being made!

Flight - your boy is looking lovely. :) I admire that you are getting him out and about!

Rye - I think most people's progress isn't linear. :) And the tests don't necessarily introduce new movements in the same order they should be introduced to horses! Sounds like you're on the right track though. Time spent on improving basic transitions is NEVER wasted.

I was at a show all weekend with my mom who was showing training level with her Fjord pony mare, Jura. I had lots of fun scribing, and mom put in six solid tests with only one score out of the 60s (a 59).

Here's a pic of them from training level test 2: (Mom is 69 and Jura is 12 this year I think?)
Attachments
Mom4.jpg
Mom4.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 25220 times

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Oh, and I've been working away with Bliss. As I mentioned on the other thread, I've been 'encouraging' Bliss to do lengthened trot for several laps of the arena as per Jeremy Steinberg's comments on the mediums. And there have been a few times where I've felt him really start to let go in the shoulders and FLY. I tried to get some of that on video on Friday but didn't get quite as good a feeling as I had been the previous rides. Isn't that always the way? :) But I still think the video I did get of our lengthening efforts isn't that bad.

https://youtu.be/p-c5g2GVczA

I think he is showing more freedom in the shoulder so I will keep on with this approach.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Really nice to read everyone's progress!

Everything for me lately has been going wrong! The latest was my car didn't pass it's roadworthy and would have cost more than the value of the car itself to fix. Seeing as it's done over 300,000 kms I decided not to bother getting it fixed so currently careless until I find the right 4wd I can afford (but yay towing vehicle!)

So currently I can only get out to see Red when the boyfriend can take me. End of financial year is coming up too which means two weeks working 7 days a week. So I guess I won't be able to bring Red back into proper work until mid July :(

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 16, 2016 11:55 pm

So, the roof on the indoor is done and horses are back in routine swing. Kimbav had an easy day today, trot sets with shallow serpentine and then figure eights in trot.

On my client horses I was doing three loop serpentine from A to C and canter from C to A. So flexion and working on position in trot to balanced transitions.

Deneb was first day back under saddle so I simply did what we both enjoy, walking on a long rein lots of shallow loops, big circles small circles and simply standing .

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Brydie wrote:Really nice to read everyone's progress!

Everything for me lately has been going wrong! The latest was my car didn't pass it's roadworthy and would have cost more than the value of the car itself to fix. Seeing as it's done over 300,000 kms I decided not to bother getting it fixed so currently careless until I find the right 4wd I can afford (but yay towing vehicle!)

So currently I can only get out to see Red when the boyfriend can take me. End of financial year is coming up too which means two weeks working 7 days a week. So I guess I won't be able to bring Red back into proper work until mid July :(

It sucks when life gets in the way of riding

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 am

Rosie B wrote:Oh, and I've been working away with Bliss. As I mentioned on the other thread, I've been 'encouraging' Bliss to do lengthened trot for several laps of the arena as per Jeremy Steinberg's comments on the mediums. And there have been a few times where I've felt him really start to let go in the shoulders and FLY. I tried to get some of that on video on Friday but didn't get quite as good a feeling as I had been the previous rides. Isn't that always the way? :) But I still think the video I did get of our lengthening efforts isn't that bad.

https://youtu.be/p-c5g2GVczA

I think he is showing more freedom in the shoulder so I will keep on with this approach.

I enjoy your video updates. He is finding another gear, isn't he

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 17, 2016 3:25 am

demi wrote:Straightforward, I liked reading about your progress with Pickle. "Baby steps". I relate because I am taking baby steps with Emma, too. But those baby steps lead to stuff like you pointed out, reading the horse better so you can improve on how you proceed.

Thanks Demi! Solidarity with the baby steps camp. :lol: She did well first time back in the long lines after last weekend's freakout, and I intentionally flopped them all over the place, so it's definitely the HSH reins that freaked her out.

Flight, I LOVE your youngster. And he looks like he's being a rockstar through that adventure. He reminds me of my older guy, with a bit more bling:

Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 17, 2016 3:34 am

Let's see if this works...

https://youtu.be/-cgkoll7_C8

(This is how things roll around here when you FINALLY get it right :))

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 17, 2016 4:19 am

Moutaineer wrote:Let's see if this works...

It says 'private'... :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 17, 2016 4:39 am

try it now?

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Tue May 17, 2016 6:49 am

Moutaineer wrote:Let's see if this works...

Love it!!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 17, 2016 8:14 am

Rosie B - fabulous!! And he has another couple of gears there to come I reckon!! Really nice, yay!! :D

Straightforward - what breed is the horse in your pic? He's lovely :) I hope my guy fills out a bit more to look like yours, mine is still quite dorky looking and yours is really nice.

Mountaineer - that was cool! Made it look so easy and relaxed. I love your trainer LOL!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Flight wrote:
Straightforward - what breed is the horse in your pic? He's lovely :) I hope my guy fills out a bit more to look like yours, mine is still quite dorky looking and yours is really nice.

He is a freakishly large quarter horse (17H). Your guy will definitely fill out with the work you're doing.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 17, 2016 2:46 pm

Straightforward, I love your big bay QH! He is really my kind of horse...except for the 17hh part!! I think my 1/2 QH, Rocky, has a similar look but she's only 14.2. What breed is your young horse?

Mountaineer, nice work! I like your trainer, too. She really imitated the cantering hind legs of a horse well!

Rosie, I can see the improvement in Bliss. Interesting about JS's comments on the medium work because I have been thinking about "cruise control" too, ever since I read his comment. I haven't gotten to that point with Emma yet, but feel closer. JS says don't limit yourself to just short diagonals, which is exactly what I am doing!? I just don't feel we are quite ready for more yet. I can't wait to get there, but am happy to watch you doing it!! Oh, and I love your mom and her pony. I can SO relate, being in my 60's, too.

Brydie, sorry about your wheels. Hang in there. Things will get better.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Mountaineer, I love seeing you and Lad! He looks very buff and your trainer is so fun.

I will say that starting our workouts (after walking and a brief trot) with a solid 15 minutes of canter work is changing our lives. We are both stronger and the canter is getting better/more uphill...and the trot that follows is getting more connected and bigger. I'm just one week into the "experiment" but I am going to keep going with it!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Thank you. It's disconcerting to think that this horse was dumped on the scrap heap because he "couldn't canter."

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 17, 2016 4:25 pm

And Rosie, you have inspired me to get back to trot work. Our mediums are "conservative," to be generous, and we need to do some "flying" to get him moving more from behind so I can get him through enough to be able to find that sweet spot to sit more elegantly. I was pretty horrified at my position when I sat and watched the whole video. Sigh. What happened to the slender young woman with the good equitation?

Your mom and her pony look just great.

Brydie, it will get better. I think we can all relate with your frustration with real life getting in the way. I've just been through a long stretch of that, too.

Flyte, I'm always impressed by how much you manage to get out and about and do stuff with your horses! You look great.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 am

Byrdie - sorry to hear about your wheels. Sometimes though a bit of a break is the best thing for them. I always find Bliss comes back better than ever after a break of a week or two.

Chisamba - thank-you. :) Good luck today with Deneb!!

StraightForward - I remember your bug guy. He is handsome!! Baby steps get you much further with a youngster than trying to rush things. :)

Mountaineer - love your video and your trainer is awesome!! She looks like a lot of fun. :) Laddie is looking gorgeous. And I don't know what you're talking about - you're still slender and have good equitation!! I'm glad I've inspired you. That's the fun of these threads, isn't it?? :)

demi - thank-you!! I think the whole 'cruise' idea is great. I used to run a bit and it always took me about 5 minutes or more to get in the groove. I supposed it's the same for the horses? I still think 5 minutes straight of cantering is A LOT though, but I'm working up to it. Being pregnant is starting to take it's toll in that I don't have the same energy level I usually have, although I am still fit and feel strong. Sitting trot is so demanding that although I can do it, I am limited to only a few minutes at a time, which at the end of the day is not a bad thing for either of us.

piedmont - 15 minutes of canter!!! Holy crap. You guys must be super fit! I need to do more canter. lol.

I rode last night for the first time since Friday. There was something in someone's driveway that evidently was a horse eating monster so I had to longe Bliss rather extensively before I felt like I could get on. He was quite energetic and other than being counterbent eyeballs on a stalk kept himself together quite well. At the end of the longeing he was carrying himself beautifully (although still a bit counterbent at the scary part of the circle), but with a lovely stretch out through the neck and over the topline, with beautiful energy and hindlegs coming WELL up underneath him. Once I got on he didn't put a foot wrong, other than still trying to look out at the scary point of the circle. We worked some spiral in/LY out, some SI both ways, some baby HP, and LY at canter along with the usual transitions. And we did a few laps of FLYING around the arena and I felt his shoulders really letting go a few times and we were able to carry that into the SI and HP a bit so that was good. :) Tonight I think I'll do more basic figures really focusing on BEND and some LY and lots of transitions. Fingers crossed he still has lots of energy!

Sorry this is so long but I totally geek out over training... I realized I've been letting him escape through basic transitions (W/T and T/C) and consequently I've been focusing on NOT giving him an escape route by holding more with the hands instead of softening as much as I had been, but I think I'm now on the other side of the line and am holding too much. But with a horse that's learned where the 'holes' are, I think you need to keep the holes shut more firmly for a while until they learn the new normal. Thoughts?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 18, 2016 11:25 am

Rosie B there comes a time when the horse understands contact, and should soften to your still hands. IN other words so long as you are not pulling back, you are offering a stable contact and the horse should soften to you.

So, i tell my students and myself, if something is going wrong, first check yourself and fix yourself, if the problem persists then fix the horse. So, there should be some bascule in working gaits in walk and canter, the bascule becomes less as the horse learns to move more with the hind end under, but there is bascule, so you have to only give as much as the bascule, do not give or take more, which is possibly the most difficult part of riding a transition.

However, as said once the horse reaches to the bit and then lightens, there is room in the contact for the neck to lift in the transition from the base and you should not have to throw away or lighten your contact, the horse should do his share in maintaining it.

I find this hard to describe, verbally and often have to get on a horse and demonstrate it when trying to teach the concept so forgive me if i am not clear.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed May 18, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks Chisamba! I think I understand what you mean. I think I've been 'throwing him away' in the transitions - giving too much when he's not 100% honest and then he just walks out the open door (by stiffening/raising the neck slightly). I know I've been guilty of pulling, but I'm also guilty of giving too much at times. It's a fine line and delicate balance, one I'm still working to find! Maybe in my next lifetime I'll figure out how to ride. lol. Thanks for explaining.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 18, 2016 1:08 pm

IMO transitions are the "tell" about throughness. It is a humbling process, but remember that many upper level horses are also challenged to do truly through t-c transitions (for ex.).

For those interested in adding more canter to their warm-up/life, this was my technique:

1. Pick a lead and commit to at least 15 20 meter circles of canter, going large occasionally if you like. Watch how your horse's canter and back changes over the course of those circles (it is pretty dramatic for my mare as she starts to let go and actually swing her inside hind leg).
2. Then start adding in some trot-canter-transitions. At this point you could easily be at the 5 minute mark on this lead.
3. Then transition from trot to walk and then add in some walk canters and canter walks. Keep the canter nice and active. I bet you will be up to 7-8 minutes at this point.
4. Take a walk break (as long as needed for horse/rider).
5. Repeat on the other lead.

After just a week of doing this every ride, we are both fitter!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Rats I lost the reply I typed.

Rosie, when I ride t-c and w-c I think soft elbows and relaxed but closed hands. This allows the horse to reach for the contact without hitting a brick wall or being dropped. If Rudy comes above the bit in t-c especially, it indicates to me that he is not truly in front of my legs and so I abort the transition or immediately transition back to trot and then re-establish forward/straight. If he comes above the bit in w-c it is because either the forward isn't there or I have allowed my upper body to tip forward a bit instead of "scooping" upwards with my pelvis.

Moutaineer, Lad looks wonderful as do you. Such a lovely pair.

Starightforward, I forgot how handsome your retired guy is! What we need now are more new pictures of the baby. :D

Piedmont, thank you for sharing your canter warmup. If some of you don't want to do one endless canter circle but are not comfy going around the whole arena you can do what I do sometimes. I do multiple circles as we travel the arena like circle at A, B, C and E one time around then V, S, R and P the next time around. That way you get short straightaways in-between the bended lines.

Not much to report on Rudy except that I am currently focused on weighting my seat bones equally to give him the best opportunity to stay straight. He is very rewarding when I am successful. :P Tio is continuing to progress, albeit slowly. On Monday he was almost rushy in the trot, which for him is fantastic, as jogging is his go-to gait. He was so eager to move out, that I also rode him down the road a bit and even had him crossing back and forth across the barrow ditch on the side of the road. Gotta admit, i chickened out though and returned to the arena when I saw a large tractor with implements headed our way.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 pm

So, I had a bit of a breakthrough last night. Watching the video of my lesson made me realize that particularly at the more collected trot my reins were too long and he was just pootling along looking cute rather than giving me his wholehearted attention. He's an obliging sort of horse, but apparently quite good at making things happen on his own terms :))

Shortening my reins about 6" led to a much more engaged (mentally and physically,) horse who I could collect, steer from my seat, and who, amongst other things, gave me a quality medium trot. His engagement made it easier for me to engage my core and get my leg position correct.

He was quite surprised that I'd rumbled his little game.

I suspect this is a "duh" moment for other people...

Let's see if we can recreate it tonight!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Mountaineer, that is a great breakthrough!

If I hit myself on the head every time I realize that effective riding is 1. Sitting down and 2. Picking up the reins, I probably wouldn't have a head left. Or at least I'd be mumbling and unemployed!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 19, 2016 3:44 am

Rosie B wrote:Thanks Chisamba! I think I understand what you mean. I think I've been 'throwing him away' in the transitions - giving too much when he's not 100% honest and then he just walks out the open door (by stiffening/raising the neck slightly). I know I've been guilty of pulling, but I'm also guilty of giving too much at times. It's a fine line and delicate balance, one I'm still working to find! Maybe in my next lifetime I'll figure out how to ride. lol. Thanks for explaining.

I'm struggling with this too!! So thanks Chisamba and Sue B, it helps me as well.

So with my instructor, he deconstructed us at the beginning and now we are being put back together and I've started feeling some awesome moves from my horse. He's a lot more active and lighter and up off his shoulders so I actually have to remember to do less and stay out of the way. I just have trouble sustaining it.
We need to be rounder now that he's not pushing down, but I'm nervous I'm going to lose what we've got! Such a process.

An exercise we were given today to start preparing for flying changes (one side is ok, the other isn't).
Canter forward on 20m circle, collect and half 10/12m circle, half pass back to the wall, straighten, walk, quarters in, straighten, canter. I need to get this flowing and even on both sides.

Brydie
Herd Member

Postby Brydie » Thu May 19, 2016 6:58 am

Awesome stuff guys!!

Last night when I was doing my budget I though to myself "well I have quite a lot set aside for showing that I'm not going to use anytime soon". So I asked my trainer today about sending Red to her and have him in full training. Will be affordable for at least 6-8 weeks if she gets the new place she's after (otherwise he'd be at her friends place and a bit more expensive which I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay). So fingers crossed she gets the new place!!!

I will use this time to work on my own fitness (as soon as my exam is done 1st June!).

This could turn out to be a really good thing :-)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri May 20, 2016 11:30 am

Byrdie - that's exciting!!! I hope it works out perfectly. :)

Mountaineer - I hear you on the medium trots. I was watching a youtube video the other day in which Janet Foy Brown was helping someone with a 2nd level test. The horse was gorgeous and his medium trots were boring. And Janet said "when we as judges see a horse this nice and then see mediums that are boring, we are like "What the H3ll?"" So that has really inspired me, as well, to kick it up a notch. With horses like Bliss and Laddie, there's no reason to be getting 6s on lengthens or mediums!! We have no excuses there! lol. :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Hah, Rosie, it's funny you should say that. I have seen that video and had forgotten about it.

...And I think I'll be riding in front of Janet at my first show of the season in a few weeks...

So thanks for the reminder :)

Return to “Dressage Training”