Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Can we get a jump on April/May training goals thread?

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 pm

https://goo.gl/images/Pc2h7M

Hopefully this link will take you to an image,. This horse head multiple bumps sometimes they get only one at a time

Do not be distracted by the strangles images

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Chisamba wrote:https://goo.gl/images/Pc2h7M

Hopefully this link will take you to an image,. This horse head multiple bumps sometimes they get only one at a time

Thanks! Pretty sure this was just a sting. It was down by about half when I went out just now. It was more under her cheekbone on one side and doesn't seem to be bothering her, but we'll keep a close eye on it, of course.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 am

I'll post my challenge wrap-up here, although we're into June now. :)

I managed to ride 4x a week consistently through the challenge once Bliss recovered from the infection he had in early April. I am thrilled with the progress we made over the past months, and am kind of amazed that I still feel as effective and strong in the saddle as I do, given that I'm now 5 months pregnant.

He's straighter, stronger, and more consistent. The lateral work is better, and he's getting more and more responsive. Our relationship (both on the ground and in the saddle) is better than ever, and I am really starting to feel like I can trust him. All in all, a wonderful place to be at the end of the 2 month challenge!! :) Hope everyone else had a great 2 months!!

Oh - StraightForward - Bliss had a similar bump appear on the side of his nose one day in June two years ago. It wasn't painful for him, and the size decreased only slightly over the weeks that followed. The vet had a look at it and said that he may have been stung by a wasp and if it's not hurting him, it's best to leave it alone (other than doing warm compresses). I left it alone, and about 8 months later it came to a head, he had a tiny bit of pus draining for a day or so, and then it disappeared completely. I hope Pickle's bump resolves itself quickly!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:37 am

I liked that Rosie posted a wrap up, so I will do the same.

While we've ridden very consistently (5 x week) the last two months, I think our biggest breakthrough is realizing that while Emi and I can do/or some days just get through movements through 3rd level, we have some very fundamental issues with connection (and that ultimately relate to hind leg activity and power) that we have to address if we want to do the work well and do work beyond this.

I am glad that her PSSM symptoms have been very much in remission and her fitness is strong. We are back to powering up hills and doing challenging work in the heat :-)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Yes, the wrap-up idea is a good one.

We have had unprecedented rainfall in Texas for at least 2-3 months. We personally have not had any serious issues so I am thankful that my only rain related issues have been riding and turnout. It has affected my plans with Emma.

Looking back, my goals for April/May weren't met to my satisfaction, but mostly I think because of the rain. Emma needs a lot of good turnout and because she hasn't gotten the ideal amount, I haven't been able to get her to the level of fitness that I had planned. Many of our rides have been spent just getting her relaxed. If she isn't relaxed, it's counter productive to try to improve training and fitness. She is high strung and even though I think she will benefit from lots of canter (eventually), if she isn't relaxed and I start the canter work, she just gets more wound up. Given her previous canter issues with a good professional trainer, I think it's best for me to not push it at this time.

Another goal I had was to get her out to my big arena but that to has been impossible due to the rains. I got a start by riding her out TO the arena a few times, but now I can't even get to the arena because of the mud.

I also wanted to add lessons in May but that didn't happen either. I don't want to complicate my retaliationship with her at this point. Not until we are a solid team.

I still love riding her and am looking forward. I've had a few really nice moments with her in spite of things, and have dabbled in things like collection, lateral work, and lengthenings.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 pm

My wrap up for teh last two months is...

Tio is too fat, not been ridden enough and yet, somehow, he rides like a green horse instead of newly broke baby most of the time now.

Rudy is going quite nicely most of the time. It all hinges on my paying attention to the basics of straight and forward. Huh, go figure. He is definitely ready for flying changes, his lateral work to the right is now almost equal to that on the left and I can get a truely sitting w-c right lead 50% of the time. May not sound like much, but I believe it is critical to his moving on to 3rd level. I can't wait to get him up to coach's place so she can see how well he's going and so she can help me put fc on him.

Return to “Dressage Training”