Soups, casseroles for freezing?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Soups, casseroles for freezing?

Postby texsuze » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:53 am

A friend near Denver asked if I had any recipes for soups, stews, or casseroles which could be frozen in small containers. She is looking forward to another winter (not!) when her steep driveway is covered in snow and ice and the man who sometimes clears it for her has not shown up ;) She wants to be ready when she is stuck at home and can't get to the grocery store. She is single, so pre-cooking some meals which are not complicated, will freeze well, and that can be portioned out over a few snowbound days will come in handy. Thanks!

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Soups, casseroles for freezing?

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am

I hate having to go to the grocery store, so buy and cook in quantity and then freeze everything I can. I don't freeze a lot of ready to go meals though, but instead freeze everything separately and then put it together for meals, so make a lot of stock when I make it, and then freeze it in portions that can be put together for meals. Same with meat and veggies, so if I want to make a soup I take the stock, meat, and veggies out of the freezer to make it.

I also freeze a lot of bread and baked goods, mostly so they'll stay fresh, but also so that there's no pressure to eat them before they go bad.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:39 am

They take a bit of work, but tamales freeze beautifully and can be steamed from frozen for a super easy meal.

If she's not worried about having a way to cook, it seems to me that it would be ideal to have some non-perishables and just cook whilst snowed in. There's probably time for it, and having a nice pot of something hot simmering away makes the house feel cozy and smell good. Like Kande says - have some frozen meat and stock on hand to make a stew. Root veggies last forever in storage, so I'd keep carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onions and beets on hand. And lots of wine.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:52 pm

I agree, what the heck else are you going to do when you can't leave the house ;)
And my friend is a soup, and, wine kind of gal anyway. I'll pass on all of these ideas, while I enjoy our beautiful, sunny days down here!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:45 am

Agree with the "parts" -- just make sure the pantry and freezer are stocked with vegetables, beans, etc. If she keeps yeast and flour on hand, bread is pretty straightforward too.

And, yes, tamales freeze wonderfully. I make 5-6 dozen once a year (multiple fillings) and freeze. It's a bit of Russian roulette in what you get ... I suppose freezing different fillings in sorted, labelled bags would be reasonable. Buy, I enjoy the element of surprise :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”