Bread machines?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Bread machines?

Postby texsuze » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:13 pm

This topic might have been covered on The Other BB, but I'm asking again. I don't do "homemade" bread, so I'm wanting a machine that can handle it all ;) Any recommendations? Something that I can put ingredients into, all at once, push a button, and have an edible loaf of bread at the end of it all. It has been many years since I had a bread machine. DH eats lots of bread...... :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Re: Bread machines?

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

I have an older Breadman Ulitmate that I love. It's probably 10 + years old and is well-worn. The only issue I've had with it is that It doesn't get all the flour out of the corners when it first starts to knead so I use a skinny spatula to help combine the ingredients. Minor for me for great bread. This might get more hits in the Obs lounge. There are too many crickets in here. I don't check it often enough either.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:54 pm

I have a Panasonic which does a decent job. Bread machine bread does tend to be a bit "fluffy," however.

Makes excellent pasta dough too :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 am

Moutaineer wrote:I have a Panasonic which does a decent job. Bread machine bread does tend to be a bit "fluffy," however.

Makes excellent pasta dough too :)

You have to find the right recipes. And you can just make the dough and do the first rise in the machine and then take it out and shape it differently and do the next rise in a pan or wherever and bake it in the oven. Almost as easy imo.

But the key is the recipes. I have found icky ones (too fluffy and not great) and I have found great ones.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Od thread, but I think the almost unanimous consensus on the old board was that Zojurushi is the go-to for bread machines. Works well for heavier, gluten-free breads as well but, of course, recipe matters.

Mine is somewhere in the closet. Haven't used it in ages.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Snork, if you want to trade your bread machine for some tack, look at my classified ad (old post is towards bottom of page) to see if there is anything that interests you there ;)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Hey, a cricket jumped in here! :lol: I have a Zojurushi that I use all the time. I use it to make dough. The Zo kneads the bread better than I ever could. The one I use is 25 years old and still going strong, but I did find one on e-bay just like it for about $60.00 and I bought it because I love the bread machine so much I just had to have a little insurance. A bread machine makes bread making easy, but making your own bread also spoils one. My husband can not eat store bought bread anymore.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I use my basic Hamilton Beach machine to make dough, but I don't bake in it. in fact I just beeped a few seconds ago since my pizza crust dough is ready :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”