Site Admin

Who IS the horse of the month for May?

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 pm

DefinitelyDressageLogoMay.jpg
DefinitelyDressageLogoMay.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
Don't forget to refresh your browser. May is "paint" month

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Who IS the horse of the month for May?

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Very nice photos :)

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 pm

But who are they, very cute photo

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Those are Suzon's horses.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:40 pm

They look great up there.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Just got up and saw this.
Ok, horses on the left are Chloe and her daughter Tempi. Chloe is 27 this year and Tempi is 15. Jeepers is on the right, he is 18 at the end of this month. He's also Tempi's sire.

I met Chloe when she was three. I was a barn manager and riding instructor in Rhode Island and I had a student who wanted to buy a horse. She specifically wanted a pinto. I was looking for a beginner adult horse of any color for her. One day she brought me a picture of a pretty pinto. I said, "looks Saddlebred. Looks young. How 'old?" She told me she was three and lived in Illinois. I told her she was too young and too far away. She told me she'd already purchased her...sight unseen. OK then. So the day came and the truck arrived...a cattle truck crammed with horses. Off came a pinto horse...the shadow of a pinto horse really. She was skin and bones, she had pneumonia, and severely clubfooted on both front feet. Oh sh*t. My student asked me what I thought. All I could think to say is "She's got a nice eye." What DO you say???

That evening another instructor wanted to see my new horse in training. I told her she was very thin and very sick but she wanted to see her anyway. So I brought her out and jogged her up and down once. In the middle of the indoor, with six students mounted and their parents looking on, this trainer, in a huge voice proclaimed "WHAT A PIECE OF SH*T!!" That was the beginning of my love affair with this little mare.

Fast forward to say the owner eventually ran out of money for training (since she was backed but not really broke) and eventually ran out of money for board. She sold her to me for a dollar. I changed jobs and took her to New York with me. We kept struggling along trying to get her feet under control. She was a great ride though-forward, smart, and giving. Trot like a jack hammer, only 14.3, but oh well. We kept moving forward.

Then her old owner called me. Winter Carnival, Chloe's sire had died. People were looking for his daughters for broodmares and someone had offered her a lot of money for Chloe. Somehow she had forgotten the $1. But what could I say, she had paid quite a bit of money for the horse and put a lot of money into her, so I prepared to let her go. But first I got online and whined about it (this was 1992, so early internet days). Someone from California decided I should keep my horse and sent me enough money for a down payment. I was able to pay off the rest at $50 a month. The original donor was eventually paid back with a beautiful handmade bent stained glass lamp.

PHEW! Life went on, my little mare went on with me. She never could canter. Well she could but not with any real talent. We looked at everything and could never really find the cause. She just wasn't strong in the canter. So I basically had a perpetual Intro level horse, except that she was fabulous at the lateral work.

When she was nine, I packed her up and drove her back and forth across the country to attend the John Lyons certification. So she spent seven months traveling between NY and CO. In the end, I don't know if it was worth it. I learned a lot and Chloe was a trooper, but I never really did anything with it.

Earlier in her life, I had tried to breed her but the farm that owned the stallion had no clue how to collect and ship semen. So it kept showing up dead and she never got pregnant. So eventually, I decided to just buy a baby. So I did. And thus Jeepers entered the picture. Because of Chloe's can do always trying attitude, I was sold on Saddlebreds. So I specifically was shopping for a tall dressage prospect...with color. Not exactly a small order. Eventually, I found a weanling colt in Pennsylvania. He was by a 17.2 hand stallion with beautiful movement and a great mind. So Jeepie came home with me.

Continued as soon as I get a minute.......

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”