500 post plus club

Re: Who started it all in December of 2015

Postby silk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 pm

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:18 pm

I don't know how much people remember about our "little" Hank, so here goes:

Back in fall of 2006 I saw a link on the old board for draftsforsale.com - and I saw some cuties there. I sent the link to my husband, who immediately found his favorite there, and the next time I talked to him he had already made an offer for a weanling Belgian! The sellers took the offer, and the very next weekend we were on the road to pick up our new little horse from Illinois (we live in Oklahoma).

When we got there Hank was waiting, tied up in the barn aisle. He was seven months old, and he wasn't even halter broke, much less had he been in a trailer. With the help of everyone there, we got him in the trailer, and headed home. For an inexperienced baby horse, he handled it all well, and we made it home uneventfully.

This is one of the first pics of him at home, we had him by himself for a few days in a small pen so he could get used to us easier (vs. being in the big pasture)

You can see the marks on his nose from a halter that had gotten too small for him - it was the first thing to come off!

This is him taking a walk with my husband, with out other horses (three at the time, now we have four others) being curious about the new addition -

Our other horses are Arabians, and you can see Hank is nearly as tall as they are at seven months!

Turned out he loved hanging out with us, and we put him in the pasture with my husband's old horse who is the best baby sitter --

Like Twins! :D

As he grew, he got put in with the rest of the horses - here he is scheming with my two boys --

After the turned three he went to training for 30 days. I was working at that barn, so I got to see all of it, and ride some of it, LOL!
He was already used to wearing a saddle, and I had ground driven him, so he was "half-way there" to start with ;)
This is in the outdoor ring with the trainer (short guy :) )

Fast forward seven years....
Here are the twins, a few weeks ago - the old guy is 24 and Hank is now 10. How time flies!

Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:12 pm

I remember Hank! has it been that long? wow! Great pics

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”