Who ARE the horses of the month for February?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Who ARE the horses of the month for February?

Postby Chancellor » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:04 pm

DefinitelyDressageLogoXmasJan.jpg
DefinitelyDressageLogoXmasJan.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 9428 times
Chisamba will have to tell you the story. If you can't see them, please refresh your browser as images are cached.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Who ARE the horses of the month for February?

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:18 pm

The pretty bay, Deneb, is my lucky horse. I had ayoung mare, Kaira, who impressed me tremendously. I acquired her inexpensively through an agent. I loved Kaira so much, i went to a great deal of trouble to track her breeding.

In doing so I found that a filly by the same sire was at risk. The farm was being repossessed by the bank, and the remaining horses, if not dispersed before, would go to a local stock auction, so i bought "bay filly ' 11" sight unseen. When she arrived the horse transporter warned me, this one is crazy, be careful. And so she proved to be. Loving, affectionate, beautiful, athletic, but very very fearful of anything new.

After keeping her at the barn for some months to allow for daily handling, on January 15 i brought her home to "throw her out and let her grow up".

It was days later, on the 21, that we lost the barn.

so the pretty little bay mare Deneb, survived again.
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Kimba, the udbb was really part of my jouney with her, she is the grey. She was a little grey who lived with a field of bay standardbred pacers. she stood out, for her color and her friendliness, and because every time i drove past, she worried me, for being totally obese, and limping badly on her front feet. I posted pictures of her on the old UDBB asking opinions and the boo birds, some of you perhaps, chimed in as to her lack of potential, so I got Deneb instead.

Kimba's barn burned first, a week before ours, but in her case, it was a two tiered barn, the first holding feed, tack and equipment, and the other being below, a three sided barn that the horses came in and out of at will. So no lives were lost. it turns out i the long run, both barns were burned by the same fire bug, but at the time that barn was considered an accidental burning.

After our barn burned, i decided to get Kimba. she was laminitic, and obese, and it took me and five friends four hours to catch her in the field, and then we had to teach her to lead on the way to the trailer. It took nearly two years of rehab to get her sound, but now she is my favorite riding horse, and her training is beginning to progress at a more normal rate.

She is a lipi x standardbred cross, and her breeding was accidental. Her mother has produced several winning pacers, one who is still racing , and her owner was intensely dissatisfied when this grey foal arrived as the mare had supposedly been bred back to a bay stallion ( who is the sire of her current stakes winning half brother).

She paced naturally and I had to learn to canter. We are currently working on shoulder in, to increase the purity of her gaits.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you Chancellor for the opportunity to share my horses, and once again appreciate their stories

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Chisamba wrote:Thank you Chancellor for the opportunity to share my horses, and once again appreciate their stories

I think it is stories like these that made UDBB more like family....and I hope that DDBB will become that place again!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03 pm

Wonderful stories, thank you for sharing them.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 pm

It's nice to put a story to the pictures. You are rewarded for your dedication to your lovely horses, Chisamba!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Wonderful stories, Chisamba. Thank you for sharing.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:00 am

I remember the fire - I am so very glad these horses survived and have wonderful lives with you.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”