Who IS the horse of the month for March?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Who IS the horse of the month for March?

Postby Chancellor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:31 pm

This is Tuffytown's horse. She has done a great job of talking about this mare on the political forum where I posted the seeking thread to have your horse named horse of the month. I hope she'll come here and do it all over again.

If you can't see the new horse, refresh your browser as images are cached.

Sorry for the delay Tuffy. It's been a busy couple days at Chez Chancellor!

DefinitelyDressageLogoXmasMarch.jpg
DefinitelyDressageLogoXmasMarch.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 15511 times

Wicky
Herd Member

Re: Who IS the horse of the month for March?

Postby Wicky » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Cool! 8-) Those horses are so responsive and intelligent!

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks Chancellor, The little red devil rules. I'll just paste what I had over there if you don't mind.

First an update to the below. The trainer is lobbying for me to breed her to his favorite stud so he can have a futurity prospect in a couple of years. Yeah, no, I offered to rent her uterus but I don't need any more pasture puffs.

She is the namesake of the farm and my username. Tuffy (Tuff Primo Lena) was foaled in 2003, out of my paint mare by a double registered paint quarterhorse cutting horse. He was the son of cutting royalty (Smart Little Lena, Little Tenina). She was a pistol and a hunter from day 1. She tracked whatever was in her field including f-350's and when there was a loud noise that the others ran from she would run towards it to see what it was.

She went out for training as a 3 year old (I bucked the cutting futurity path) and was there for 9 months where I got rave reviews from the trainer as to her abilities but I was so buried in work at the time I would go check on her every couple of weeks but didn't get to ride her much. Trainer had to shut down and rush back to california to take care of his fathers business so I got her back with little idea where the buttons were.

We did arena work, clinics and trail rode for years. I did a couple of clinics with very famous, multi-world championship cowhorse trainers and they all were very impressed with her. One wanted to buy her. His opinion was that the trainer who started her didn't know what to do with her talent. That was the equivalent of Hilda Gurney wanting to buy your homebred.

A couple more years of being a pasture ornament with the occasional trail ride and then a local up and coming trainer advertises he has cows and will give lessons (finding cows to work is like diamonds around here). I went for a lesson and he liked the mare. A couple of weeks later I go for another lesson and that darn little corriente put us in the dirt (horse and cow cut back and forth twice then a sneaky cut back to the left when I was still thinking right and I ended up with my ass in the dirt). Trainer got on her to check out what was going on and laughed that I had been fed to the wolves (meaning her abilities were very far beyond mine).

He called me a week later and wanted her in training for free cause he was trying to build a reputation and this was the kind of horse that could help. Even though I could hardly afford it (I had to pay board, not his facility) she went since this cutting horse thing was my life long dream that has basically been on hold forever. They did very little for a week but condition and work on correct turns and then he started putting her on cows. 2 weeks in he tells me she is world champion potential (or was. that only happens with the youngsters, not 12 year olds). Another 2 weeks later he is offered the job as 2 year old trainer for one of the premier cutting horse breeders and trainers in Texas and off he goes. So she was a cutting horse again for about 5 weeks. Great fun and immense satisfaction that I indeed bred the horse of my dreams even though her talent won't be truly fulfilled.

That photo was taken after about 3 weeks at the trainers. His biggest task was making her slow down and turn correctly. That is how purpose bred these horses are that after 10 years of no cows she is trying to work like she has been in constant training for years and just how much they love doing it.

Here is another photo. Note the expression of death on her face and the trainers just laughing at her determination.

Dusty-6_7-028.jpg
Dusty-6_7-028.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 16013 times
Last edited by Tuffytown on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Could her ears get any flatter??? I love, love, love her! I KNOW I couldn't stay with her!!! :D

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:45 pm

And just incase any of you are wondering, riding a cutting horse -- especially one as talented as Tuffytown's -- is basically the best thing you can do on a horse.

Don't get me wrong, dressage is incredible, but there is something magical about getting to be essentially a passenger in many ways, yet share all of that power and speed aboard an animal that wants what its doing, that *hunts* it, like its next breath. They're like border collies that you get to ride...and the world's best amusement ride.

If you ever get a chance, try it. Just on a slower octane one than Tuffy's :lol:

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Scout did a bit of cutting when he was starting out his career. The young man who broke him took him team penning. Wow - Kelo you are so right. They just know what they are doing and Scout would get annoyed if you got in his way. He spun so quickly I was pretty nervous so rather than interfere I was just the proud owner in the stands. I did take him sorting which was not so quick but a blast for me. You do feel all that power and speed and breeding for a job. And I feel that power at times when I am not controlling the ride. For example when we are just out hacking he will look around, unafraid but you feel the power waiting to surge into action. He is a wonderful boy and doesn't - but sometimes you can feel all his energy waiting to explode - I think the difference is that the concept of doing a job is also so inbred that he isn't going to waste that power and energy on just being silly! For which I have been very grateful LOL.

I can't imagine trying to sit to Tuffy's moves!

I'm so happy we get a whole month to enjoy that picture!

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Tuffy is one nice mare! Having her as horse of the month makes me proud to be a DDBBer. Good horses are good horses no matter what the discipline.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:15 pm

I always wanted to ride a cutting horse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:02 pm

i love that cutting people know its better to hold the horn then to mess with the horses balance, lol

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:49 am

Chisamba wrote:i love that cutting people know its better to hold the horn then to mess with the horses balance, lol

Survival. One locks themselves into the saddle with the horn.

Kelo is so right. Nothing more thrilling and powerful, when you can stay on.

Tuffytown can't stay on when Tuffy makes her big moves :lol: .

She's a character and a great companion. One of her many nicknames is Looney cause it fits.

Today is her 13th birthday and I still feel honored to be her mom.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:15 am

Awesome pics and story :)

The first cutting bred horse i rode i fell of of :) (not i said bred he was green broke) though i my defense i was on my friends 3yo qh stallion bareback in a halter lol We think he was trying to herd the seweed in the water as he kept going after i came off :)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Tuffytown, I love your Tuffy!

Just for grins, here is a guy riding a cutting horse without a saddle or bridle :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/108486531190/v ... 1/?fref=nf

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Canyon wrote:Tuffytown, I love your Tuffy!

Just for grins, here is a guy riding a cutting horse without a saddle or bridle :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/108486531190/v ... 1/?fref=nf

HOLY CRAP! That guy has balance!!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 pm

great video-- and the rider makes it look easy!
(and i want that horse!)

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Sorry I missed the posting of that video. What a great horse and a great seat. Thanks Canyon.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:01 pm

This seems like a good place to put this! Just heard there is a documentary in the works about reining/cutting horses, a lot of Doug Williamson footage - it's fairly early stages, but it sounds like it's well done. Hope it makes the final cut.

http://www.championcowhorses.com/

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:03 pm

Yep, Down the Fence, I am a multiple kickstarter donator. Name in credits. It's as close to world champion cowhorse as I will get.

Can't wait until it comes out. It is a local (Issaquah?) lady behind the project.

https://vimeo.com/111765323

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”