New Year's Eve Tragedy... Please help if you can..

Tuddy
500 post plus club

New Year's Eve Tragedy... Please help if you can..

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I never really post these type of things, and I am at a loss for words as to ask for people's help.

My friend, Vanessa, lost her husband tragically on New Year's Eve. Vanessa was the one that really helped me get involved with Canadian Horses, and is strong advocate for promoting and preserving the breed. Her, and her late husband, have a breeding farm in Alberta and their main stud that they stand is actually my Lucas' full brother.

Vanessa would turn inside out for anyone, friend, family, stranger, just because of the giving soul she is. 2015 was the year I really decided to get involved with the Canadian Horse breed, and Vanessa was the one who took me under her wing and helped me out at the Equine Expo in Saskatoon at the Canadian Horse booth.

I ask all of you to send healing thoughts to my friend and her five children. If you can, below is the Go Fund Me page where monetary donations can be made to help Vanessa adjust to the new life she never intended to have to face.

Here is the link... https://www.gofundme.com/c7h82a3w

Thank you...

Ellen

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New Year's Eve Tragedy... Please help if you can..

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:27 pm

Prayers said for Vanessa and her children.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Tuddy, do you mind sharing how he died? was he young. it is very sad to lose a loved one, and such an important part of the family, so i send jingles and prayers. I did the go fund me page and it is not going very well.

they say truly generosity gives without expecting an accounting, so clearly i need to work on that because i am always investigate charities and am generally pretty cautious about go fund me campaigns.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Chisamba wrote:Tuddy, do you mind sharing how he died? was he young. it is very sad to lose a loved one, and such an important part of the family, so i send jingles and prayers. I did the go fund me page and it is not going very well.

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to say how he passed. :(

The lady that set up the gofundme page did a write up and it does describe what the funds would be for, I have copied and pasted it below for others to see.

I understand your hesitance to donate, some of these gofundme pages are for some pretty ridiculous causes, in my opinion, but sorry, but if you can't fund your own wedding, maybe you should wait until you can..

Here is the text from the page:

On the final day of 2015, most were thinking of the future and setting goals for the new year. But for the Ulmer family, New Years Eve was heartbreaking. Five children lost their father and Vanessa Ulmer was left widowed.

The five children, ages 4-12, are homeschooled and live on their family farm 10 minutes west of Stony Plain, in the home their family built. Both Vanessa and Leroy worked to support their farm and to make it possible to breed and raise Canadian horses. The Canadian horse, is a rare breed and they operate one of the largest breeding programs in Western Canada. Vanessa is very passionate and extremely devoted to keeping the Canadian Horse breed alive.

Vanessa is known by everyone as a generous, selfless and kind woman, mother and friend. She opens her heart and helps anyone in need, before thinking twice.

The morning of Jan 1st, 2016, I was greeted by a mutual friend of ours who told me the devastating news. Being so close to life shattering news has left me with a burning need to help Vanessa and her children. Immediate family and close friends have come together to help take care of the farm and animals while the family grieves. A small group of us friends decided to open this fundraiser to help pay for the immediate costs the family will now face. With the loss of her husband, Vanessa will now have to pay for bills that she alone can't handle. This page is our way of trying to bring in all the help we wish we could do ourselves. Vanessa has always helped us, so now we need to help her.

The farm land, the children's home, the family's rare horse breeding project, and current way of life, are all at stake.
The funds will go towards paying their mortgage to keep the children in their family home, take care of the family pets and horses, and pay the tutors that come help the children with their homeschooling. Now with only one parent, the children will require childcare while Vanessa is at work. They stand to lose everything they worked so hard to build and keep up to this point.
This is an extremely sensitive and personal situation and I'm asking you, on behalf of the Ulmer Family, to please donate any monetary gift you can.

RIP Leroy Ulmer.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Yes, i did read that. hope the droplet i gave helps, but i also hope it gets used for food or mortgage and not for homeschool.

My husband was let go after eighteen years at the same company, just before christmas, with no severance package, so I know what its like to wonder where the mortgage payment is going to come from. he is alive and well, so I am blessed.

I am working extra shifts and cut back on expenses drastically, and hope that will be sufficient until things normalize

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 am

Hmm.. declined my card. That's a first. Will try again later.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:58 am

Chisamba wrote:Yes, i did read that. hope the droplet i gave helps, but i also hope it gets used for food or mortgage and not for homeschool.

My husband was let go after eighteen years at the same company, just before christmas, with no severance package, so I know what its like to wonder where the mortgage payment is going to come from. he is alive and well, so I am blessed.

I am working extra shifts and cut back on expenses drastically, and hope that will be sufficient until things normalize
Chisamba, hugs to you and your family too!!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Oh Chisamba, hugs to you and many good vibes sent your way as well!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Woost2 wrote:Hmm.. declined my card. That's a first. Will try again later.

Thanks for your help!

I was having a heck of time paying for stuff with PayPal yesterday. I finally had to do it through my phone, and then when I checked PayPal over my desktop, it showed my payment going through. Weird.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Card company got all freaked out. Phone calls, emergency messages from the fraud division. Must have been the Canada thing.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Wish they had a paypal option. I just HATE putting my credit card out there on the internet.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Woost2 wrote:Card company got all freaked out. Phone calls, emergency messages from the fraud division. Must have been the Canada thing.

both canada and crowd funding, alerts the fraud division

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:40 am

Chisamba wrote:
Woost2 wrote:Card company got all freaked out. Phone calls, emergency messages from the fraud division. Must have been the Canada thing.

both canada and crowd funding, alerts the fraud division

GoFundMe charged me three times for a donation. Sad for many causes, I refuse to donate through them since they were so delightful in helping fix their mistake!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:35 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:GoFundMe charged me three times for a donation. Sad for many causes, I refuse to donate through them since they were so delightful in helping fix their mistake!

This is the first time I used this type of site too, and I see on my online banking that I have a posted transaction of my donation, yet also have the same transaction in my authorized area too. Hoping I am not getting double charged... And if that is the case, the money better be going to my friend and not someone at Go Fund Me. :evil:

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks for all that have sent money, it will definately be put to good use.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”