Trying to avoid a silly Dr visit

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Trying to avoid a silly Dr visit

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Over the thanksgiving weekend I noticed a strange itchy spot popping up. I've had ringworm before and I was pretty sure this was it. Fast forward a week or two, because I'm incapable of taking care of myself, and its definitely ringworm and started to spread. I finally went and purchased OTC cream that was supposed to treat "most forms of ringworm". Directions say to apply twice daily for 4 weeks. Its been about that long and its not any better. I really don't want to waste money on a Dr. visit if there is another way I can treat this at home. Two confirmed spots, and a couple itchy spots that I suspect could be the start of new spots... Maybe I should have started with the Dr... Either way, I have a high deductible plan, and it comes 100% out of pocket to go get it checked, so if possible I'd like to avoid that.
I have no idea where it came from, I don't have cats and none of my pets show symptoms.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: Trying to avoid a silly Dr visit

Postby Tuddy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 pm

This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but it was what worked for me when I had ringworm. Go to walmart and buy a sponge top bottle of Absorbine Jr. liniment. Apply thoroughly to affected areas. It may burn like hell but it works. You can either keep the bottle for any other future issues with ringworm and label it so no one else uses it, or chuck it. I know I chucked my bottle out when the ringworm was cleared up.

I use this stuff on any type of itchy bite, mosquitos, horsefly, etc. I think it actually says on the bottle that it is good for bug bites.

Ringworm isn't fun, hope you get better soon!

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Well, this is a completely redneck response, but I just used this stuff on my dog for 'skin funk' and it worked like a charm...this after several weeks of trying the OTC anti-fungal creams. It is very quick and effective (and cheap!)....but be forewarned, you will smell like extra strength Pine Sol. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Duvet-001-0530-Nu ... geNumber=2

Evidently, it is also very effective in people for ringworm.
http://www.herbalhealer.com/nustock.html

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:23 pm

in animals ( cats) we would treat a minimum of 45 days, even if lesions are not visible, since some fungal elements can be in the dermis

Cats are notorious for carrying ringworm ( particularly himy and persian) without signs of lesions. Not sure I would assume dog is fungal free because it does not itch or lose fur. I have little experience with dog vet med so cannot comment.

If you have been diligent with the treatment and want to try further treatment that is great

Personally I know there are other skin lesions that can look like ringworm but are not.

If you signs persist beyond the diligent 45 days and / or trying something new, you need a proper diagnosis.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Best treatment for ringworm is decolourised iodine dabbed onto the area several times a day or an all over iodine type wash like Vetadine.

Ringworm is a fungus which is killed by iodine, so even horse type Vetadine wash is OK at a pinch but just keep an eye on your skin for drying out or reacting.

You can see ringworm under black light so if you are worried about the rest of your skin and animals you could buy or borrow a black light bulb and have a look. It usually fluoresces well under black light so it will show up as a bright patch.. :o

Make sure you change clothing and bedding etc that has been in contact with it and wash it all thoroughly in hot water preferably with something like canestin wash treatment in it to kill the fungus. You could cover the affected area so it doesn't shed spores onto clothing or nearby skin.

If it isn't responding within a couple of weeks you may need to get a skin scraping done to check it isn't something else.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:05 am

This is what has worked for me - Betadine scrub daily, (rinse and dry) followed by Miconozole Nitrate 2% (which you can buy either as a "jock itch" cream, or you can buy the Monistat 7 type of stuff made for yeast infections.). That and trying, if possible, to keep the area from staying moist and dark. I sometimes use some cortisone ointment to help with the itching.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 am

Don't high deductible plans include basic care? In other words, plan a yearly checkup and when doc asks how you are doing generally, tell them about the rash.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:43 pm

oh most doctors / systems see around that. I was warned that on my "yearly exam" that bringing up something like that changes it to a non-routine visit.

It is one thing if they find something, like a heart murmur, its another thing with "oh by the way about these spots"

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:21 pm

hoopoe wrote:oh most doctors / systems see around that. I was warned that on my "yearly exam" that bringing up something like that changes it to a non-routine visit.

It is one thing if they find something, like a heart murmur, its another thing with "oh by the way about these spots"
If THEY notice the spots is that just a "oh...I hadn't noticed (scratch scratch), what do you think this is?" ;) moment? Perhaps draw a marker around the spots? You won't have to bring it up but maybe they will? :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”