Interior shutters

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Interior shutters

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Because all things can be figured out here!

I am trying to buy interior shutters for my bedroom windows. I would like them "interior mounted." My windows are 34" wide. It appears that shutters come 29" - 33" or 35" to 39". My window interior height is 51 3/4". I can't believe my windows are a custom size, so I can't figure out why there doesn't appear to be shutters for my windows. Perhaps it is the way my windows were trimmed out?

Advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I prefer not to do custom, due to the cost.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Interior shutters

Postby texsuze » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:20 pm

If you need to reduce the size of the interior measurement, you could consider mounting a strip of wood moulding, vertically (top to bottom), on each side of the window (on the inside), painting/staining it to match your existing trim, and then getting ready-made shutters to fit. It means you'd probably be mounting the shutters on these "spacer" strips.

Or you could check pricing here:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/category/shutters

I've used Smith + Noble for many windows, never a problem. Call them about how to measure, or look through the website. They have more than one option for shutter material.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for the idea Texsuze. My window frames are white, so it'll be easy enough to match trim!

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 pm

or purchase the oversize and trim equal amounts from each side rail (a table saw makes this an easy trim)... 35" ...take 1/2 off each side rail... but most likely you would need an amount greater than just the minimum to fit into the opening

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:41 pm

No such thing as standard size windows. Each manufacturer has their standard which may or may not differ from another manufacturer or even another product line in that same manufacturer.

As noted above, custom size or matching shim.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Just want to say my mom put interior shutters in their bedroom when she changed the wallpaper. They look great! Good luck!

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:21 pm

I have café sized shutters I think mine are mounted a smidgen outside of the interior of the window. They actually sit very nicely on my window sill, but aren't over it too much.
I wanted to be able to fully open them to clean my windows, put in screens, etc. I used Budget Blinds and they were very reasonable and installed them perfectly. The brand is Norman and they clean up so easily - I have to wide slats so my cleaning rag and hand fit perfectly.

You may want to have someone come out to measure - since the hardware will take up some room - a 33 may fit fit. Be sure to also check that you can easily get your screens in and out.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Hayburner wrote:I have café sized shutters I think mine are mounted a smidgen outside of the interior of the window. They actually sit very nicely on my window sill, but aren't over it too much.
I wanted to be able to fully open them to clean my windows, put in screens, etc. I used Budget Blinds and they were very reasonable and installed them perfectly. The brand is Norman and they clean up so easily - I have to wide slats so my cleaning rag and hand fit perfectly.

You may want to have someone come out to measure - since the hardware will take up some room - a 33 may fit fit. Be sure to also check that you can easily get your screens in and out.

If you are able, can you post a photo of yours?

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

ooooh I like that look (followed the link above) - I'm still traumatised from cleaning the wooden venetian blinds at my old house - I loved how the wooden venetians gave me privacy, allowed me to filter light in and let a breeze in, but I don't miss cleaning those suckers.

But I'm not loving the curtains in my new house. I dunno, sigh, especially these days when you get the curtains where the block out fabric is attached to the main fabric, they don't wash. Firstly, I think its incredibly wasteful to own a product that you use and throw out because its not pretty, secondly, i'm asthmatic, I need to be able to wash the dust off things otherwise I just get sick.

Those internal shutters are nice and crisp and modern, i like the idea of being able to lift them out of the window, go clean them and put them back....but not have them fall on me in the middle of the night because we have strong winds.

vertical drapes are just an excuse for the cat to destroy the chains.

any other window dressing suggestions for the budget challenged?

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

What is the primary need for the window dressings? Privacy, light, aesthetics? I will admit I am not a window dressing person. Most architects don't particularly like them cause they mess with the architectural lines and cover up the design. That said, in most residential building that is not an issue but I still am a minimalist. I recommend pull down shades for clients that have a need (usually light or privacy) as they are very discrete and out of the way when up and can be had sheer, light blocking etc.. They also are historically correct which is much of what I do. Shutters themselves are an architectural element and can be quite appropriate in the right setting.

http://thehandwerkshop.blogspot.com/

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”