Broken Leg, Broken Screws

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Broken Leg, Broken Screws

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:30 am

Went to doc today fully expecting to be released to PT. He came in exam room a little wide-eyed; two of the three screws above the break on the tibia have themselves broken. I have two choices at the moment: Stay the hell off it for another month, or have surgery to repair them. I honestly almost fainted at the thought of more surgery, got really lightheaded and started to sweat. It's not that the bone isn't healing, it's just not healing quickly enough to not be stabilized with the plate and remaining screw.
Fortunately, he's a horse-husband and knows the way we are. :D Told me to use the boot and the cane and stay off it more than on it. Dammit.
If that third screw goes, I'm...screwed.

chantal
500 post plus club

Re: Broken Leg, Broken Screws

Postby chantal » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:30 am

Nooooooooooo! Come on third screw, do your job!!! Sending you lots of healing thoughts!!

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:31 am

UGH, I had bunion, hammer toe, morton's toe surgery last November. I could not stay off it. The repercussions are not good from being on it too much. I'm really suffering now.

I can't advise but think it wise to JUST STAY OFF IT. Get a neighbor, family member, friend over to do chores. And not for just a month either. I would go for a long 6 weeks to insure total stability in the bone.

Jingles you heal properly Tarlo!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 am

Oh for the love of Pete, damn damn damn. And damn again. I got physically uncomfortable imagining your reaction as I read your post...I think I'd feel the same. Please do try to commit to staying off of it if that is the direction you choose...maybe a good horse savvy pet sitter, even one who stays over? Or will insurance pay for any sort or respite care so you can get someone to come in and help you with household things? And as much as I am sure you don't like doing it, like most horse people wouldn't, ask your friends for help. I am so sorry you are going through this!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:05 am

That sounds just awful. I'm so sorry! You Know What You Have To Do!

Jp1
Greenie

Postby Jp1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:33 am

ugh! I can imagine your pain and disappointment. Sending you lots of healing vibes and good wishes. Now go put your feet up!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:36 pm

I'm using the knee scooter thing at home, so I'm mostly weightless, and the boot and cane when I go out. So I'm already 50% better behaved. :lol:
Anyone else ever hear of these screws breaking? In the leg? Even Doc admitted it was kind of weird the top two broke, but not the one closest to the fracture.
Crap. The snow is gone, the ground is thawed, there's SOOOOOOO much work to do!!!!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:I'm using the knee scooter thing at home, so I'm mostly weightless, and the boot and cane when I go out. So I'm already 50% better behaved. :lol:
Anyone else ever hear of these screws breaking? In the leg? Even Doc admitted it was kind of weird the top two broke, but not the one closest to the fracture.

I would wonder if the screw breaks had something to do with whatever you've been doing while "recoupperating". Even weird things have explanations. I'd recommend *REALLY* resting for a couple weeks to let things really get the healing on. (I can hear your scream of frustration from here.)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Ya know, the Doc insinuated just such an idea. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:59 am

And here I was thinking I didn't have to worry about you much. UGH! Bad Dog. Go sit down. Stay. :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”