Does anyone have a consumer reports with washing machines ratings??

bits
Herd Member

Does anyone have a consumer reports with washing machines ratings??

Postby bits » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 am

We need a new washing machine fast, the old one lasted 18 years. I want another long lasting machine.

What does consumer reports say? Can someone scan the washing machine ratings page and send it to me?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Does anyone have a consumer reports with washing machines ratings??

Postby Canyon » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:04 am

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:23 pm

FWIW, and IMO only, I'm not always fond of CR reviews as they review such a limited set of manufacturers and models.

I often use big box stores and Amazon as a better place to get "consumer" reviews. I often read only the negatives to see if there are any repeated negative comments that might actually indicate a problem...

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:26 pm

i suggest you stay away from a Maytag top loader, a small search of recent topics would give you the advantage of advice given in the other thread on the same topic.

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:58 pm

I did end up subscribing for a month. Just have to remember to cancel before the auto billing kicks in month after month after month...

There are now three different types of washing machines.

Front loader
Top loader HE (high efficiency)
Top Loader w/Agitator

The top loader HE - people seem to love them or hate them. Pros: big. I could wash a horse blanket in them easily. Cons: many comokaints about cloths not getting clean, soap scum, lengthy wash cycle

Top loader Agitator - old school and great reviews. People love the speed queen

So- what does everyone think of your washing machine? Which type do you have? Front, Top HE, Too Ageitator. I'm leaning toward the Soeed queen as the reviews on the top HE's are so all over the place. I don't want to be one of the ones who hates their newly purchased $$$ mashing machine.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 pm

I have a Kenmore Elite HE front loading washer. I can do horse clothing in it and it's been a good washing machine. It's a few years old but still going strong. Between the three dogs getting their muddy feet wiped in winter and me having horses and goats at home, the washer gets plenty of use.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Consumer reports has come under criticism lately for having bias toward advertiser companies. Whether that is true or not I don't know but I'm pretty cynical about everything to do with mass produced products and " planned obsolescence" lately.

I did some research about a year ago cause I thought my 12 year old machine was failing (fortunately not). One of the most frequent failures and most expensive repairs on modern appliances is the computer control boards. I looked for the least computerized, most basic mechanics with durability units. What I found recommended was speed queen and roper. Now whether they have the bells and whistles some want is a question. I wanted basic, durable. It is those bells and whistles that often fail.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 pm

I have a top loader Speed Queen. I didn't get the basic (wanted a few more wash/rinse options), but it's still pretty basic. No bells and whistles, nothing sexy, just an old fashion washing machine. The only thing I don't like about it is that all the rinses are cold, it's part of the energy efficiency package. And I guess that's OK, once the clothes go through the wash cycle, you're just rinsing out soap. Most of the laundry mats use Speed Queen, I think that tells you something. . . . they're not inexpensive but they're not made in China, either. I'd buy another one.

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:25 pm

We bought th Speed Queen. I'm not sure which it is in terms of top, middle, bottom of the line but it as in stock and I can do laundry today. I wanted to avoid fancy electronics so it has knobs. I'm happy. :) built to last and comes with a three yer warranty.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Keep us posted. I still will probably have to replace mine in the next few years. My last washer before this died at 35 years old.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:10 am

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum top load HE/agitator-less and love it.

I wonder how many people that complain about the poor cleaning of the top loads with no agitator actually take the time to load the clothes correctly...

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:39 am

We just bought a Whirlpool front load and love it. However, after buying (before delivery) I found a comparison article that ultimately put Kenmore on top. I think Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, so I'm not too upset. But you might want to look into Kenmore.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 pm

I have a Kenmore high efficiency top loader. I love it. I can load so much stuff into it that it actually cut the amount of laundry I do every week. It can also be really gentle - I wash all my hand washables in it without fear. It does a decent job of cleaning my clothes - I don't rewash any more often than I ever used to. I do tend to set it to heavy unless I have a really small load but mostly I have it stuffed to the gills. I've had it for about 6 years with no problem so far. I know the new machines don't last like the old ones but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for many more. I need to have a top loader because my laundry is in the entrance from my garage to my house and is a very high traffic area. If we had a front loader and had the door open (which you have to do or it begins to smell), then we'd be running into it all the time.

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Love it. Old school washing machine. Made in America. Cleans clothes much better than our old one. No electronics to go bad. Super happy so far.

OmegaMare
Greenie

Postby OmegaMare » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:56 am

OMG. The Speed Queen looks exactly like my new Huebsch! So I googled it, and it is the same, but the name is different in Canada. So bits and I have been raving about the same thing. Exactly.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Tuffytown wrote:One of the most frequent failures and most expensive repairs on modern appliances is the computer control boards. I looked for the least computerized, most basic mechanics with durability units. What I found recommended was speed queen and roper. Now whether they have the bells and whistles some want is a question. I wanted basic, durable. It is those bells and whistles that often fail.

This is my strategy with almost every purchase! I prefer a car with crank windows, for example. My sister was going on and on about the 42 different mini motors to move this that and the other thing in her new van, and I just kept thinking, "Another 'feature' to break in the future."

Machines with simple dial controls (seems to me) last MUCH longer. Speaking from experience. I don't know if anyone has ever done a study...

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:19 am

I had no idea there were other washing machine threads. LOL But feel quite proud that i figured out to buy the Speed Queen instead of the other brands. This really is a great washer.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”