Almond Butter, Homemade - Anyone?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Almond Butter, Homemade - Anyone?

Postby Saddlebum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 am

I have a Blendtec Mini blender I purchased to make almond butter with but am afraid I cannot get the texture anywhere close to buttery/spreadable. It gets really hot in the effort but still, no luck.

I put Almond Oil, about a Tbs. along with some Maple Syrup, Tbs., a 1/8th tsp of red salt, a heaping cup of raw almonds. Should the almonds be roasted? I tried just plain raw almonds with nothing added, nope.

It tastes good but could not possibly spread it like peanut butter. I love Almond Butter.

Beorn
Herd Member

Re: Almond Butter, Homemade - Anyone?

Postby Beorn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:02 pm

You're not talking about the twister jar that Blendtec recommends for nut butters and super-thick things?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Yes, I think I am. It has a top that has long arms which go down into the jar and as the almonds are ground up, you twist the top so the arms against the inside of the jar moves the material around better as the blender is operating.

It's a mini-twister I think.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:50 pm

I don't have experience with it, but maybe try soaking the almonds to soften them, and then proceed with what you've been doing. You may need to add a little more oil as you go as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:16 am

hmmm, why the oil? All the recipes I know use just almonds, nothing else (besides a bit of salt). The almonds are rosted for 10 min or so and then ground/mixed for a loooong time. Like another 10 minutes AFTER the butter looks done (with breaks if the machine gets too hot). The oils in the nuts are suposed to make the buttery texture, added fluids might make it too runny.
Last edited by AmityBee on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 am

I can't get it any where near buttery. Crumbly yes, but maybe I will have to roast the almonds and then give it a break when it gets so hot.

The recipes I found on-line said if the almonds were roasted, no oil needed. If they were not, then add oil.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”