For Those Who Ride QH's….

fergusnc
500 post plus club

For Those Who Ride QH's….

Postby fergusnc » Thu May 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Dallas hasn't been under saddle (with me) yet…heck, I haven't even made time to ride Fergus since he came home 2.5 months ago….but my brain is always working. I, of course, will have a saddle fitter out, but just wondering if I have any shot at the Western saddle (full QH bars) I bought to fit Fergus (17hh and 1500+ pounds) working on the 14.2 and 1,100 lb red pony). I can't remember the seat size..I want to say 17" maybe (my dressage saddle is 18" and feel like the western ones correlate 1" smaller?). My biggest concern is the length of the saddle versus the length of Dallas' back…though I will say he is a little bit long in the back as compared to those really compact, short-backed models. :D

I know all brands and styles fit a bit differently…saw that first hand when trying western saddles with Fergus…but just wondering how many of you with QHs need full QH bars (on your more pony-sized friends) versus semi-QH bars? And how big your seat sizes are/fit well on what height QH?

All Dallas' tack will be trial and error…not sure of bit size, saddle size, bridle size, etc…got it wrong a couple times on halters but was able to nail it on first try with fly masks, lol. Being at home, I don't have the luxury I had with Fergus…a trainer on site and tons of boarder friends to try to get an idea when we started him under saddle.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: For Those Who Ride QH's….

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu May 12, 2016 3:45 pm

15.2 1300 pound gelding. Big big shouldered. Flat back. Wore a wide tree Black Country Eloquence but not the hoop tree since he had some withers.
Wore a semi-QH McCall Lady Wade but could have worn a full QH. Their trees at the time tended to run wide (1999 model). I don't know about now. Dressage seat was 18" and wade saddle was 15.5"

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu May 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks gang. The saddle I have for Fergus has a rounded skirt and synthetic fenders…we were trying to avoid super heavy western saddle thing due to his back issues from all the EPM struggles. It's a High Horse by Circle Y saddle…Daisetta I think? really comfy for me and Fergus strides out in that saddle like you would not believe…so I assume he loves it too.
The saddle fitter also recommended these nice pads…also rounded, and squishy and light and washable! So the saddle probably weighs about what my Albion dressage saddle weighs and the pads are fitted and not heavy…hoping that will also be a good thing for Dallas to carry (if it fits).

16" sounds more right now that I think about it. :-)

So one of my western saddle phobias involves memories of them shifting towards you when you get on, even with a tight cinch…is that a case where the saddle is too wide for the horse in question? or just not a great fit? or both?

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Thu May 12, 2016 7:29 pm

fergusnc wrote:The saddle fitter also recommended these nice pads…also rounded, and squishy and light and washable! So the saddle probably weighs about what my Albion dressage saddle weighs and the pads are fitted and not heavy…

What pad is this? I use a 1" felt pad with my western saddle, but would love to have something squishy, light and washable.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 12, 2016 7:31 pm

I use a parelli air pad, its not awesome but it works.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 am

Equi tech pads. http://rideequitech.com/about-us/
Mine seem to be the Equi Lock 30x34" trail pad with the square skirt...or at least my giraffe one is. :-) The second pad hasn't been used yet...we don't ride in the western saddle very much...and it's packed away in the garage in some trunk or another, wedged in between fencing supplies and such, while no vehicles except DH's Harley live inside...until we get the tack room built out in The Little Red Barn.
To be completely truthful, I haven't washed one myself yet, but the tack store owner, who I adore and trust completely, told me these are her go-to pads for her western saddle, as they are so easy to wash versus her store full of every variety of insanely cool looking, and more expensive, true cowgirl blankets and pads...says she owns pretty much one of everything, except these pads...which she has several of as she uses so often. And the saddle fitter loves them too...on her horse and for clients. In my very limited experience with "western wear", I like them too...my saddle fits right "in there"...like the pad compliments it fit on Fergus...not sure if that is the pad or a well fit saddle or both. :-)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri May 13, 2016 2:36 am

I've discovered a lot of horses move better in a western saddle, no matter what the weight. I think it's due to better weight distribution and (depending on the saddle) less pressure over the shoulders/saddle bars.

Another trick I learned from dealing with western tack is to use a dressage saddle that is wider than you would fit with a traditional pad and then throw a big fluffy western pad under it. Won't make it in the show ring, but the sensitive ones seem to like it.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon May 16, 2016 12:42 pm

I have always used Professional's Choice fleece pads. They are a bit expensive but if you take care of them, they last forever. I am not sure if they make rounded pads.
I used semi-QH bars for my narrow high-withered 16h horse.
Never had a problem with the saddle slipping when mounting. I think maybe for very round horses with no withers, this might be a problem no matter what saddle you had.
Last edited by LeoApp on Tue May 17, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue May 17, 2016 11:38 am

I think this should be an interesting learning experience re: sizing and fitting. For example, I measured him for a blanket, ordered him a 69" thinking we'd be just fine based on the 68" I came up with...no dice. Exchanged for a 72" but have a nagging feeling that still may not cover his booty. :-) Thank goodness for free return shipping!

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm a huge fan of the SaddleRight Pads - my mare loves them.

She's really wide (38cm) and never fit into stock western saddles, our last saddle was a Sharron Saare "F" tree.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Sun May 22, 2016 2:02 am

OK I have to laugh - I was all excited because I thought there was another QH dressage person lol.

My QH has a custom made Dresch dressage saddle :D

Carry on!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun May 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Well, E.P., maybe someday he will do dressage! :-)
This is my rescue pony that I brought home about two months ago as a buddy for my gelding, but he seems like he could do pretty much anything. I just needed feedback for when I start restarting him under saddle and if I have a shot at using my gelding's western saddle to do it...can't imagine my XW Albion (that apparently is more like an XXW+ in other brands) would be a possibility on the little man. :-)

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 am

Short of a custom saddle I've had good luck with he Circle Y Extra Wide Flex Tree saddles. Different western saddles fit differently. One manufacturer's full QH bars may be narrower than another. I would measure from bar to bar near the front of the saddle. Most are 6" some are 6.5". You might have better luck with a 6.5. Hope what you have works for you and you don't have to go saddle shopping.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 23, 2016 5:40 pm

exploding pony wrote:OK I have to laugh - I was all excited because I thought there was another QH dressage person lol.

LOL There have to be more of you out there, surely! It would be great to hear an update about your QH and how training is going.

BTW, I used to get to see this QH compete in the upper levels when I lived in NC:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/pat ... made-honey

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Without hijacking the thread, but since you asked, I decided that my cowpony might like to jump a bit.

So I had the barn owner ride in a Greg Best clinic last week and the cowpony LOVED it! And Greg Best LOVED the cowpony! I was over the moon :)

We're off to ride in a clinic this weekend and attempt 2-1 at a show next weekend. It's not ready for prime time, but I think it's time to push myself a little and attempt a test :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu May 26, 2016 3:51 pm

That's a great update EP. I hope you share your clinic learning in the training forum. I think 2-1 is a pretty friendly test. Good luck and have fun!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”