Fire Ant Treatments in the Pastures?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Fire Ant Treatments in the Pastures?

Postby fergusnc » Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 pm

I am just starting my research so checking in here too. Anyone treat in their pastures and what knowledge do you have to share? I have tried the diatomaceous earth with little luck, boiling water with slightly more luck but that is a LOT of trips out with the kettle!
I know there are spot treatments and broadcast spreading...and wonder how people manage keeping horses off/away most easily with certain products versus others? I worry about the poisons with the animals too.
Any success stories?

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: Fire Ant Treatments in the Pastures?

Postby Rockabilly » Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

I actually worry mine to death, but I have heard of people getting a shovel and picking up a fire ant hill and putting it on another fire ant hill. Evidently it drives them crazy.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Fire Ant Treatments in the Pastures?

Postby texsuze » Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 am

IMHO, DE is worthless for nuking fire ants, and for most other applications. Your best bet is to consult your county ag extension agent, or google Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and find some links to fire ant treatments. There are a number of products available, but their applications vary when it comes to lawn vs pasture vs animal housing, etc. and when animals can be re-introduced into treated areas. There are pesticides which need to be watered in after application, too, which I find too labor-intensive. I stick with Amdro, or some of the spinosad baits.

I always treat visible mounds rather than broadcasting (and I don't mean TV ;) ). Mainly because with broadcasting, you'll be nuking the "good" ants (yes, there are good ants), and will be using lots of pesticide and $, too. In addition, by broadcasting the bait/pesticide you might not always be able to tell if it is effective. By contrast, treating individual mounds gives you a chance to see if your agent has worked, since you'll usually be able to see the mound 'die' (gets crumbly-looking). And with individual mound treatment, you are only nuking fire ants.

The little buggers are so prevalent around here that I only do mound treatments in critical areas (near the house, near barn where chooks cannot get to bait, etc). I could spend a fortune treating the rest of our acreage. I don't treat pastures, and my oldster, thankfully, has only come back with some type of insect bites (presumably fire ants) maybe once every couple of years because he rolled. YMMV.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”