Dry Erase Stall Signs

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Dry Erase Stall Signs

Postby TR_Teacher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:28 pm

OK, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here--I'm working on prototyping a new horsie project. I made a simple dry-erase stall sign for my new mare. It is basically a digital print embedded in the surface of high-gloss metal. Very durable, and works perfectly as a dry-erase surface. I'm a professional designer (when I'm not doing the horse thing!), and was largely offended by the off-the-shelf stall sign options. I've had a TON of positive response--people wanting their own. So--not entirely sure how to do this, and I need some help! Questions:

1) I could very easily make these customize-able--so what information would you want as options? Horse name, breed, etc.? Anything else?
2) I could add a farm logo, if the artwork was provided. A photo is a given. Any other graphics necessary?
3) What dry-erase fields would you like to see as options? I just covered the basics with mine--but, I could also see turnout, trainer, etc.
4) I can order the prints pre-drilled in the two upper corners. Would you want chain or something to hang them from? My thought is these might be handy at horse shows--portable, and you can add hotel information, etc. My thought is just provide the option for holes or not, and then you can figure out what how/to hang them.
5) What might you consider paying for something like this? It costs about $30 to have them produced--obviously not looking to get rich on this--just maybe make a few bucks?
6) Mine is 8x10, which makes for very comfortable writing. Would smaller be better? I did mine to fit in a plastic document holder that we already have on each stall.
7) Custom colors--mine is basically 2 colors--I could easily offer a limited palette for custom schemes. Is 2 colors enough, or would 3 be better?

Here is what it looks like! I'd appreciate any feedback. I'd also be willing to do a few prototypes of these at cost if anyone is interested? PM me for that!
Attachments
Breslin Stall Card_small.jpg
Breslin Stall Card_small.jpg (203.78 KiB) Viewed 10339 times

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Dry Erase Stall Signs

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:55 pm

That is brilliant.

I would prefer to hang mine.
It sounds very durable so worth paying for but horsey people come in two types,. Cheap and not cheap lol.

My problem with dry erase is they actually erase to easily,. A horse nose, some one brushing past,. They mostly need a sleeve of sorts to keep the information safe

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

I think this is a super idea!! Especially for a larger facility or one with boarders...

I would totally want one, but we only have two horses in our barn and have a white board in the aisle for feed instructions and contact info. Plus we have fancy brass embossed name plates that are beautiful but cost and arm and a leg ($130+ each). The company I got them from has since gone out of business.

If I was looking to buy one of these I'd be looking to pay $45 or less, but I'm really cheap. :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Those do look nice.

I have a friend that did a similar thing, but she used the blackboard paint stuff to make her own out of wood. I'll have to see if I can find the photos of them.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Very nice! The barn I work at (all disciplines boarding barn) just prints and laminates a simple 5x7ish card for each horse, then staples it to the stall. Being laminated, we use dry erase markers to fill in the info. Being a large (26 stall) barn where horses come and go this is a quick and cheap option, although not very aesthetically pleasing. But the DIY factor works well, the BO can whip up a new sign in minutes when a new horse arrives, and isn't out much money when one leaves and their card is no longer needed.

I think for a smaller, private barn, or for people to take with them to shows, clinics, etc, yours would be awesome. And being able to hang it would make it more portable.

I especially like how it has a picture of the horse, sort of easy at a glance way to know if the right horse is in the right stall. For times when the regular barn staff isn't around, having picture ID of the horse is helpful.

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

My problem with dry erase is they actually erase to easily,. A horse nose, some one brushing past,. They mostly need a sleeve of sorts to keep the information safe

That's an excellent point! I can order the prints in a variety of gloss levels--mine is the high-gloss, and it erases easily. Wondering if a step-down in gloss would help that issue. I could easily order one and try it out. There are also a number of plastic sleeves that would work nicely at the 8x10 size, so that could certainly be an option.

Rosie B--that's exactly what I'm thinking in terms of use. Not helpful for small barns. As a policy (safety, insurance, etc.), we have to ID all of the horses in their stalls. All of the program horses are managed out of the barn-manager's "office stall"--and I'm the only boarder at our facility. So, for those horses, we wouldn't need any information on feed. The barn manager likes it thus far, because he can easily see/be reminded of any changes.

Mareless--how does the lamination work for dry-erasing? Does it get smudged off easily? Or does it stick?

The show take-along might be the key here--I'm especially thinking those bonkers H/J shows with tons of horses, grooms, etc. Was thinking the photo would be a good way to be able to return a loose horse to the correct stall...

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:30 pm

These are beautiful. The only thing you might consider adding is a type of protective cover. The last barn I boarded at had off the shelf dry erase stall boards and they were often wiped clean by horse noses!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:30 pm

In a large barn, it is smart to have a photo on the sign for ID purposes.

My barn also produces laminate signs as horses come and go.

I had to laugh at the space for feed instructions, though. A bit tiny---although the specifics are really needed in the feed room, not on the stall sign. But I supposed it could just say "Nothing but hay" or "Special diet".

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:30 pm

I had to laugh at the space for feed instructions, though. A bit tiny---although the specifics are really needed in the feed room, not on the stall sign. But I supposed it could just say "Nothing but hay" or "Special diet".

This is great feedback. My version is 10" wide--so on each feed line, I can easily fit what she eats, in normal-sized handwriting:

"1 scoop Tribute Kalm 'n EZ & 3 flakes hay"

The single supplement she gets is listed below in Special Instructions, "2 scoops supplemement XX with AM and PM grain."

She's a pretty easy/simple feed though--so, what's the "worst-case scenario" there. Who's got a feed program that reads like a grocery list! I need examples to improve the design!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:30 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:so, what's the "worst-case scenario" there. Who's got a feed program that reads like a grocery list! I need examples to improve the design!

Raises hand! My mare, like most horses in my barn, gets a custom mix of ingredients. Hers looks something like this for AM, noon and PM meals:
Supplements AM only, 20 oz alfalfa pellets, 8 oz Coolstance, 5 oz ricebran, 2 oz chia, 1 oz camelina oil **all soaked** + 3 flakes orchard grass hay

I would also think about a "No treats, please" box for IR/other horses on a special diet.
To be cute, you could also do a line with "My favorite treat is ____".

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Like the photo i.d. and breed i.d. Might want to squeeze in a line for "Rx" unless that is to be under special instructions. Would it be too complicated to have the dry erase slide behind a clear, rigid, protector sheet to prevent erasing/smudging? Just thinking out loud.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Nice idea for those of us who show - a simple one with horse name , breed, and contact name and phone info line - with a hanging cord.
Breed brand, photo, etc possibly added.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:51 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:
Mareless--how does the lamination work for dry-erasing? Does it get smudged off easily? Or does it stick?

Depends on how long after marking it gets touched. Some of the stall cards that have been in use for a while with no change of info, you can't easily rub the marker off. However, 'fresh' writing--say a day or two old--can be rubbed off by a horse's nose. So we try to staple the cards to the wall out of reach of curious muzzles. :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”