Piggies - Update 6/12

Suzon
Herd Member

Piggies - Update 6/12

Postby Suzon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Does anyone on here know Jon Stewart? Ricky Gervais? Anyone who's a save the animals freak with resources? Please PM me if you do.

This is not a charity drive, just looking for resources.

L'il Orphan Hammies is in a pickle. 40 "mini" pigs were abandoned by a hoarder and Sue Parkinson of LOH is desperately working to get them into a safe situation. 11 of the sows (who are just babies themselves) are pregnant and due to pop any day. I'm not looking to make this a charity drive on here, just looking for help for a 70-year-old lady who goes above and beyond for every pig she can. She needs boots on the ground, media attention, and more funds. Please contact L'il Orphan Hammies via FB if you want to donate your time transporting pigs, building shelters and fences etc. Or pm me if you have any great ideas.

Chancellor, please delete this if it's inappropriate.
Last edited by Suzon on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Long Shot - to save the piggies

Postby Suzon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:30 am

Just an update from Sue:

"This just being announced the founder of Lil Orphan Hammies is now in possession of the Bakersfield pigs. All 52 pigs from this situation will be transported to the sanctuary on Monday. The three most pregnant babies are in my possession as well as one special boy that begged me to take him are all on their way home with me now. Tomorrow I have a crew coming to fence off a pasture where all these pigs will be safe and give us a little time to sort things out. Nobody will be "adopted" for food and nobody will be euthanized. Updates will be on Facebook as time allows and your support is needed now more than ever please stay tuned."

She has lined up a vet to donate castrations, so there's going to be an en masse testicle festival.

She already has 50 pigs at the sanctuary. I can't even imagine suddenly doubling that!

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am

I sent a donation when you initially posted. The laws are minimal in most states to protect animals. Unless the laws and significant fines/jail time are imposed for extreme abuse cases - these situations will continue..... There was a horrible hoarder in the NJ news the other day of over 270 dogs in a house. I had to walk out of the room as I can't watch it anymore.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... opted.html

This is a very populated area and I don't understand how this was not found and reported sooner. Disgusting and cruel.
http://www.app.com/story/news/crime/201 ... /85354996/

This is an example of the slap on the wrist and minimal fines applied in these situations. Other states do even less. :(

Other cases of animal hoarding in the Shore area include:

Forty dogs found caked in their own waste and living in squalor in a home on Spruce Street in Lakewood last year. The resident of the home, identified as Laura Giacini, was fined $1,900 and banned from owning animals, SPCA officials said.
More than 300 dead birds found in 2014 stacked from floor to ceiling in the Little Silver home of Gretchen Rell, a former volunteer for the Monmouth County SPCA. Rell, 57 at the time, pleaded guilty to animal neglect and was placed on probation for five years.
Sixty-eight assorted animals left to die in what SPCA officials described as "a maggot-infested tomb,'' when former Toms River police dispatcher Matthew Teymant and his wife, Amanda, fell behind on the mortgage on their Barnegat home and moved out in 2008. Matthew Teymant, then 30, pleaded guilty to animal cruelty in 2009, was placed on probation for five years and ordered to perform 250 hours of community service.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Josette, thank you for donating. As I said, I don't mean to make this a charity drive, since that's not what this board is about.

I definitely can't look at photos or read articles anymore about conditions hoarded animals live in. It's a disease. And it's one that is swept under the rug. Probation and community service doesn't cut it. There has to be a legal "wake the f**ck up" for these people. There should also be mandatory counseling and monitoring that just isn't going to happen.

This this case is just so overwhelming. The sad part is 17 years ago, she took almost as many pigs from the same woman. So she turned around and did it again. What she does is see ads for pigs at community shelters and adopts them. Not clear on the details of why she abandoned the whole kit and caboodle recently, but she did. That left LOH to come in and clean up the mess. Sue says it was only recently that the final pig from the last seizure (17 years ago) passed away. She thought this chapter was closed.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Heavy sigh.Thanks, Suzon, and others, for helping the little piggies.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:43 pm

I remember your sweet little piggy rescue and was glad to make a donation. You are right - we shouldn't hold our breaths waiting for the legal system to make any positive changes. I just keep signing petitions whenever I hope I can make a difference......

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:23 pm

But, if this is a "disease" (hoarding of animals), will fines or jail time really "cure" them? I suspect that as soon as they get out, the pattern of behavior will continue, possibly even in another location/state.

Thank heavens there are places like LOH to help clean up the mess :(

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:51 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:But, if this is a "disease" (hoarding of animals), will fines or jail time really "cure" them? I suspect that as soon as they get out, the pattern of behavior will continue, possibly even in another location/state.

Thank heavens there are places like LOH to help clean up the mess :(

That's why I said counseling and monitoring. "Hi my name is Hoarder-Ass Cat Lady and I am powerless over my addiction." The problem with that is we don't even pay attention to other more "prominent" mental illnesses. Animal hoarding flies completely under the radar until it make the news for a day or two because 20 animals are dead and 50 others need to be rescued from living in their own feces.

Oh and just for the record, I would so take about four of those about to be born piggy babies, but my husband would likely box me up and sell me to the gypsies.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:20 am

Exactly and :lol:

He can send you here and you can stay at my house ;)

What is funny is my old dog groomer used to tell that to all her dogs she groomed... maybe we should sell you to the gypsies ;) I suspect in at least my dogs' cases, the gypsies would send them back (and no worries, she loved my dogs).

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Piggies - Update 6/12

Postby Suzon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:11 am

Sue Writes:

3 lil babies waiting for babies. 3 safe and settled.

Tomorrow the first half will arrive here and the last group will arrive Tuesday.

I have to give a huge shout out to the Bakersfield animal control who worked with me and are going above and beyond in arranging the transport of all these pigs.

I also want to thank everyone who has helped support this massive rescue.

For many your work is done, for myself it is just beginning and will be my responsibility for the life span of every pig in my care. I truly hopen to find homes where these pigs can live their lives out being loved and where they feel safe. I can not do this alone and I have never needed as much help and support as I will now. But the one thing that makes my heart the happiest is knowing the pigs will never again be abandoned, scared, hungry or homeless.

Lil Orphan Hammies
A PLACE TO CALL HOME

As my dear freind Maggie once wrote:
SOME ARE WOUNDED
SOME ARE SCARED
SOME TOSSED OUT
CUZ NO ONE CARED
THE LUCKY ONES
HAVE MADE IT HERE
NO MORE HUNGER
PAIN OR FEAR
Last edited by Suzon on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Piggies - Update 6/12

Postby Suzon » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:11 am

13344526_1284193304943245_351197905828400376_n.jpg
13344526_1284193304943245_351197905828400376_n.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 7876 times

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”