Question for photographers - web based quality and touch ups

bits
Herd Member

Question for photographers - web based quality and touch ups

Postby bits » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:39 pm

When you sell an image for web based ONLY, what resolution/dpi do you sell? Do you remove the glaringing obvious loose braid that does detract from the otherwise perfect topline?

At the Ga inspection, the photographer was TOP quality and the pictures I received were all gorgeous. She took the time to remove any little flaws (wild braid) grass on the muzzle, etc... and the image quality was top notch. It was something you felt like you could present without someone saying... ewww this is a grainy. Excellent quality was standard for the price which was very reasonable.

I paid $55 for an 8x10 (have not received that yet) and a personal use web file of the same image. What should I expect for that price? My cell phone takes pictures in megabite files.... these photos are each only 690-750kb. When I look at a horse picture, I like to increase the size so I can see better detail. when I do that, it becomes a huge grainy mess.

Quality has seemingly gone out the window for fear of copyright infringement. And honestly, when I do post the images, they won't exactly be good advertisement for them. If I had taken these pictures, I would be embarrassed to put my name on photos with this image quality. They look as if they were photographed with an old cell phone.

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Question for photographers - web based quality and touch ups

Postby Suzon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Most photographers I know re-size to accommodate Facebook, which is where a lot of picture sharing goes on. There are two basic image sizes for FB, 960 or 2048px on the long side of the photograph at a resolution of 72ppi. Most people are happy with the 960 because they can all be fit into one email, so they can mail them all to grandma in one packet. The average 960 photo is about what you describe in file size. The 2048 is about 2mb, which can quickly overload many people's email. If I'm delivering at 2048, I usually set up a time limited dropbox folder and let people download them that way. There is a difference in my price as to which I deliver. Oh and they can also request a FB cover photo crop which is 851 x 315.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Agree with Suzon. For web images I resize to 960px on the long side and a DPI of 150 - a little bit above industry standard.

For 'high res' files I resize to 4000px on the long side and 350dpi.

I only retouch if prints are purchased through me or if retouching is paid for.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:57 pm

^^ For Facebook, I post low res, watermarked photos at 72dpi, which is what most programs convert them to when you save an image for web use. I allow these to be tagged and shared for cheap or free (non-profit events), then I also post an online gallery where people can buy high quality prints and downloads.

When I sell photos that allow for digital usage, I give a high quality file so that people can resize it to how they want to use it on websites. The charge for this file is considerably more though because it includes usage and print costs even though they aren't receiving a print. They will have the ability to make as many prints as they want from the high quality file, so I have to charge something for it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”