Selling a horse as a jumper?

goneriding
Herd Member

Selling a horse as a jumper?

Postby goneriding » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:50 am

I don't see a forum really geared for this and it's pretty off topic, so I hope it's ok to post it here.

I have an Oldenburg mare who I have owned for 6 years, she's 12 now. She has exceptional jumper bloodlines, but I have done lower level dressage (to 1st, school 2nd) and trail riding with her. She's a very hormonal, marish, reactive mare, and when I got my young horse who is simple and uncomplicated, I realized I'm just too old and over that, and I don't want to ride her any more. She really really does NOT like dressage as well. She needs to be ridden, she is too young to retire and doesn't do well as a pasture puff (her behavior regresses without regular handling).

Anyway, I sent her to an eventing trainer to get her started over jumps and see how she does. She's a GREAT jumper, she loves it, and the trainer says super fun to jump. She's not going to make it to the top in eventing, but this trainer says she is definitely a show jumper.

I need to figure out how to reach that market, how to price her, how to find the right rider who will not be put off by her quirkiness on the ground (she's pretty uncomplicated under saddle). She could be a useful broodmare with her bloodlines, but she is phobic about shots and vets so unless someone pursued au naturel reproduction that could be very unpleasant for all involved.

My top priority is setting her up for the most secure future possible. I am open to a situation where I would retain ownership so she would come back to me, so I know she didn't end up sent down the wrong road. But, I'd rather sell her and we both move on.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas or experience doing this?

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Selling a horse as a jumper?

Postby khall » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am

I would go to a HJ show and take a look at the trainers there. We have tons of HJ shows around here from A shows to schooling types to local show series. See what the trainers are like and then see if you could get some recommendations on trainers. HJ trainers usually have a large student following. I know of one locally that I would trust and she trains, teaches and sells horses a good bit.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Selling a horse as a jumper?

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 pm

For better or for worse, at 12 yrs old, your horse is outside of the window when "prospect" = more money. Additionally, you're very likely to be outside the window where "upper level potential" matters much in disciplines in which she has no experience.

You will get the most $$ for her if she can:
- Demonstrate that she can perform at a decent level (i.e. cadenced rhythm through a course of jumps at a reasonable height, leaves all the poles up, and doesn't look like a freight train)
- Be ridden and handled by amateurs and/or children

You will get the most $$ for her if you can:
- Leave her in training with a pro who has a track record of successful sales to successful students (cost/benefit problem here: how much training is worth the increase in sales price?)
- Have good photos/videos taken
- Write a professional-sounding ad, and post it in high-traffic sales sites

Broodmares are generally not high-dollar buys unless they're proven producers-- have a licensed stallion son, or several offspring performing well in whatever sport they were bred for. You take an additional $ hit if she's not approved with a registry.

As far as pricing goes, if you leave her with a pro generally they'll provide some feedback on price. You can also look at sites like warmblood-sales.com and filter for similar ages and similar experience and compare to what's listed there.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”