Why riding is priceless

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Why riding is priceless

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:10 pm

I have, from time to time, discussions with parents about how expensive riding is, and I try to explain what it is about riding that is priceless. I have a student with selective mutism, and anxiety disorder, who now chatters away about her riding with her friends. My son has disorders in the autism spectrum range, and riding had helped him in so many ways. However most of all riding has been a genuine benefit to me.

While riding on a horse, for me, is unique in its ability to help me concentrate on the present, and exclude all stress and outside concerns. Your horse brings you to the present. accomplishing something together takes focus and is immediate, if you make a mistake it shows and you fix it immediately, if you get it right it is immediately rewarding. There is the limitless opportunity to practice small successes, and overcome small failures. You begin to understand that learning is not about never making a mistake, it is about making that mistake and finding that solution.

People talk about emotion having no place in riding. I strongly disagree, riding increases positive emotions, and yes teaches self control. frustration, irritation, anger, these are very unsuccessful emotions to have when riding and if you give in to them you will discover that you have sabotaged yourself and your progress, so riding with control is important, but appreciating and loving the successes, that is the highlight of training.

When you have accomplished something in riding, there is always more to accomplish, but there is always successes you can appreciate. simple successes, learning to post. Learning to control a quiet mount. Learning to sit the canter, overcoming the fear of falling. You can look forward and see things to improve, you can look back and see things you have achieved.

I try to explain to parents why riding is so good for their children. I am not very good at putting it into words, so this is my attempt to explain. I suppose here, i am preaching to the choir.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Re: Why riding is priceless

Postby LeoApp » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

lol you sure are preaching to the choir, but go ahead and sing it sister! I couldn't agree more.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Beautiful photo!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Lovely photo, and I totally agree with you. Maybe emotion has no place in the competitive world of George Morris (who doesn't want a rider to crack a smile) but not in my world. Last night the barn was abuzz with the setting up of a B level h/j show so Miss A. and I just walked outside. I was totally in the moment and all my stress and cares were gone. I have learned so much from horses and riding, so many positives. Can't thing of one negative I've learned. Of course I have learned from my failures too LOL.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:32 pm

That photos expresses what I feel when I'm with my horse! I do love the deep quiet of being in the present moment with her.

I also find it fascinating that horses are extremely emotional creatures and they can teach us both control of our emotions and acceptance that emotions are something normal that flows through our bodies---there is no need for emotion always to be held away from our experience or to be trapped inside our bodies. Think of how quickly horses can react and move (to express emotion), and then settle back to relaxation (release emotion and move on). We all could learn from that!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:53 pm

Yesterday a friend of mine came down to watch me ride because she used to ride and can't anymore, so needed her horse fix.

I usually ride by myself so was looking forward to showing her what I'd been working on, and we did have a lot of fun, and if we did it more often both my horse and I would adjust to the distraction. But this morning after riding by myself again I realized that riding alone was much more rewarding because I could focus my full attention on what we were doing.

It was actually good, because I'd been contemplating getting someone back down here to help shake things up a little, but now I realize that the reason I no longer trailer out to events, or arrange them here, is because they just distract me from what I find most rewarding--which is the one to one interaction with my horse.
Last edited by kande50 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Very well said, Chisamba.

And a beautiful photograph!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:19 pm

Chisamba wrote:I try to explain to parents why riding is so good for their children. I am not very good at putting it into words...

I could not disagree more. You put it into words just beautifully.

Jenn
Greenie

Postby Jenn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 pm

I have, recently, considered giving up the horses, because it would allow me to give up working...I don't mind working, but I rarely feel happy, or accomplished or content at work. I was coming back from a walking trail ride and I was smiling and I thought, I have been riding for about 50 years now, the one place I feel accomplished, content and definitely happy is in the saddle. Not giving up the horses, or working(unless I win the lottery).

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”