Iron chairs and refinishing

bits
Herd Member

Iron chairs and refinishing

Postby bits » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:22 pm

We have some old but very good quality iron chairs. No rust but the paint has worn off.

Is it better to have them powder coated or painted via rustolum spray paint from Home Depot.

$100 per chair to powder coat vs cans of spray paint.

Wwyd based on how the finished product will look and hold up. Will powder coated surfaces hold up in this application?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Iron chairs and refinishing

Postby texsuze » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Mom and dad had some quality outdoor furniture (can't remember the brand, but it was well known--?Woodard?) for many, many years in a covered screen porch. Dad took them once for sandblasting(?) and powder coating and they have held up well for decades. Find a company/person who does that type of work and let them see a chair first to get input based on your chairs' current condition. I think it would be worth the $$ if the contractor says ok.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:37 am

We have wrought iron garden table/chairs (white) that are 45+ years old. I had them blasted and powder coated ~4 years ago and couldn't be happier with the results. They are white, which is not a particularly forgiving color for outdoor metal furniture in the damp Pac NW, but they still look great. I keep them under cover, but outdoors, during the rainy fall/winter, so far they still look great.

We just recently had a dark wrought iron bench that is on our front porch treated the same. It spent about 5 years outdoors, and the last 15 years on our covered porch and was getting a coating of funkiness. It looks great. I would highly recommend this process for a finished, high quality look. Our pieces all look brand new again. Shop around to find someone who does good work.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:51 pm

I need to make this decision also. I have a friend who works at Lowes who did the paint can thing. He's picky, so I'm sure prepped them well, but he's very happy with the results at a fraction of the cost of the other option.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”