Question about frostbite and scar tissue

Amado
Herd Member

Question about frostbite and scar tissue

Postby Amado » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm

So this was today's photo of Rico's injury, it's looking like the skin is filling in and growing down and over the horn tissue that has been growing up from the bottom. There is still a small open area, but it's been healing really well. My questions is - I'm a little worried about frostbite on the upper part - we are in far northern Maine, and they tell me temps can get down to 20 - 30 BELOW zero here. :shock: There is not going to be any hair growth on that pink tissue - wondering if it would be smart to put some sort of thick cream on it when it gets this cold? Or maybe a bell boot with a neoprene underside? What is the stuff you see on mountain climbers lips and noses - is that for cold? Or just sun? Any ideas/suggestions?

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Question about frostbite and scar tissue

Postby Sue B » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm

When my horse had a similar injury, I put a contour-fitted bell boot on him in the winter to protect it from ice as well as frost bite. Worked well as I recall. I do remember checking it daily and resetting it.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Impressed with how well it has healed! Good for you! As for the frostbite - I have no idea what to tell you, sorry!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:57 am

I saw this wrap on EBAY and thought of you. BTW - the wound looks wonderful. Healing is incredible!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavallo-Pastern ... 2072683595

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:16 pm

I saw those too! They are meant to go under a hoof book - like socks - I wondered how well they would stay on (and down) on their own.

This was just a couple of days ago - I didn't clean it up that well, but that funny flakey skin (like the stuff over the other heel bulb) is still growing over the horn from the sides, not sure how far it will go.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm

It looks like it is healing wonderful. I think the only thing I might consider is some topical coconut oil. Lookup healing and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:23 pm

I have been dealing with a slow healing surgical wound on my horse's chest for 2 yes 2! years. It's extremely cold right now -33C windchills he's out all day and no frostbite on the small area.

Vit E does have some affect on healing. I used Dermagel for quite some time. The only thing that really helps is HBOT if you do it immediately which I did for another !! wound this summer.. He had 10 sessions in the chamber and it healed perfectly wish I had done it immediately post surgery.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm

I have never seen frost bite on a horse. I'm sure it happens but I haven't seen it. Two years ago our temperature dipped below -20 and stayed there for 3 months. My horse got his usual bites, nicks, and various minor injuries all winter long and no sign of frost bite ever. I have had frost bite myself so I know what it looks like. Hooves and lower legs are made to withstand a variety of impossibly harsh conditions including mud, water, ice and cold. Keep an eye on it but I bet it never gets that bad. It is healing great and it will continue to do so. At least with the cold there is no mud and, therefore, no source of infection. Horses are amazing creatures.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Ok, so here's a better photo - today (13 weeks!)

He's been going out when it's not too windy - he was out yesterday for an hour or so it was in the 20's, and you guys are right - it seems to be fine, the cold doesn't seem to be bothering it. Though at the moment the barn he is in is heated to above freezing). I am probably working too much!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”