Medical ice packs--anyone need?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Medical ice packs--anyone need?

Postby texsuze » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:25 pm

DH has started receiving a monthly shipment of rx which needs to be kept on ice. He gets the rx in a little styrofoam biomedical cooler, tucked in with one of those reusable, maybe 5" x 4" sized ice packs. I've asked our vet if they could use the ice packs but they have ample supply. No one at our fitness center needs them. DH is likely to be receiving these for a l-o-n-g time. I hate for them to end up in the landfill.

Anyone need some reusable ice packs? Could be kept in your barn freezer or home freezer for horse or human use. I'm betting I can save up a few over a few months and send them to someone, or, can just stick one or two in a prepaid mailer.

BTW, I plan to mail the empty styrofoam coolers to a facility in our state that recycles the expanded polystyrene, unless anyone could use those too.

PM me if you'd like.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Medical ice packs--anyone need?

Postby Canyon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty already.

Have you checked with any nearby schools to see if they could use them for sports teams?

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 pm

We easily get 50+/week at work. Someone needs to find a way to recycle these things. . . .it's gross.

ETA - I did find this:

"I too receive cold packs with medication on a regular basis. Looking for a recycling solution I found this web site and I visited the manufacturers site. Mine are called Koolit and are manufactured by Cold Chain Technologies. They say the product is an environmentally safe starch and can be disposed of ‘down the drain’ so to speak. So at least they are not toxic. It still does not help with the reusable issue."

Someone suggested "lining" your freezer with them (if you have a big one) as an aid if your freezer goes out. Someone else suggested hunters like them during hunting season so maybe a sporting goods store would be interested.

I guess you need to look at your specific brand and perhaps check with the manufacturer on disposal, at least. I'm going to look into it more. Thanks for making me aware of options!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:53 am

I receive meds with ice packs regularly and we do line our freezer with them. They are a good back up in case TVA goes out (which is super rare) and good for reducing energy use in any case.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Hunters/sportstores are a good idea. Employees can dispense them to customers and friends. School sports are a good idea. Marinas and boaters are another place where people might like them. Sailboats usually have built-in iceboxes in the galley. Theses packs keep stuff cold without freezing it (like dry ice does) or soaking it like ice does. Are ya close to water?
Sounds like this is quite an issue. The ones I have are from a friend who gets specialty foods shipped to his house. Put your thinking cap on, and we'll expect to see you on "Shark Tank" next year! :D

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:31 pm

You might find the Eats on Feets or Human Milk 4 Human Babies in your area, those would be amazing for shipping and storing breastmilk!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:33 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:You might find the Eats on Feets or Human Milk 4 Human Babies in your area, those would be amazing for shipping and storing breastmilk!

Meals on Wheels was another option I saw.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for suggestions. We do have a MOW service here and in the next town over, so I might check with them. Our freezer (side-by-side fridge) is so chock full that I doubt I could fit ice packs inside. This ice pack is totally white, no company logo, no nothing. Not near a body of water (except a river) where the big boats float, so can't pawn the packs off on sailors, but PLENTY of hunters around so that might be an option, once I collect a decent supply over the next several months.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”