Complicated, property deed

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Complicated, property deed

Postby Saddlebum » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:58 pm

How much does it cost to have names put on a deed in Michigan?

Sister is citing expense as to why she put only one of 4 sibling names on mother's estate, to trust her. I don't.

If you add a name to a deed, does it cost more to add an additional name at the same time? She just text me saying she is going to add her name and the cost will be about $500 and does not want to spend more to add more names.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Complicated, property deed

Postby Sue B » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Not a lawyer, don't live in Michigan, but...

Putting a name or names on a deed generally involves first producing a quit claim, then doing a new deed. That itself would run 5-10 bucks, but some states may require (or strongly suggest) attorney involvement to make sure that all parties involved are protected. Having your name on a deed does not, in any way, affect any mortgage or other liens against the property, but it mainly prevents the sale of said property without the okie dokie of all on the deed. I'm sorry you don't trust your sister, must be very hard on you. I hope you can resolve your situation amicably.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 pm

There are no leins. Middle sister paid off reverse mortgage and YS is in charge of the Will only put MS on the deed citing expense and says she will put her name also after I texted her last night citing my concern that if MS were to die, her two children would inherit the home.

Said it would be at least $500 and they want to spend money wisely. $500 may be for attorney fees.

MS is living in the home. They all know I can use the money and would prefer to have the house sold asap. No idea when MS plans on moving. Recent text stated MS knows she will be responsible for utilities, neighborhood fees, lawn care, home insurance, land taxes annually.

Any way to force the sale of the house?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Not if you're not on the deed. I'd spend the $500.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:42 am

She's not going to put my name on the deed. I contacted a lawyer in that area and he's going to get a copy of the deed to me. We will have a conference call after.

I asked her to bring a copy of the Will on Sat. when we are all supposed to be at the house to help clean. She may be the only one who has a copy of the Will. What if she burns it?

I called probate today and they do not have a copy. Correct probate office as they have sent me paperwork she filed re: a small life ins. policy. County house is located in where my mother was living at the time of her death.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:03 am

Did your mom have an attorney prepare her Will? He or she would have a copy. Laws differ by state but I find it hard to believe there is any cost difference if one name is on a deed or a dozen names are on a deed.

I also doubt recording a deed cost $500. That may be attorney's fees but the actual recording fee will be minimal.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I believe my parents had a lawyer draw up the Will years and years ago. Don't know what happened when my Dad passed 10 years ago. But after that, my Mother told me the Will divided everything equally and Y. Sis was the executor. It's been several years and I may not remember, myself, correctly.

Oh my...

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

FWIW, any one single attorney may *not* have a copy of the entire will. If the will was changed over the years using different attorneys, the entire will may not have been re-drafted, just the changed sections. I know my entire estate set of documents are not held by a single attorney. The last estate attorney I talked to said the paper will is usually the 'go to' document, not electronic copies held by attorneys. My documents are in a prominent notebook in my home.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:48 pm

What she is doing is taking over the property. IF the intention was to will it to all of you, this is not doing that. If your mother wanted her to live there for free (for paying off the reverse mortgage) and/or it get it after that is one thing. If she wants to pay off you and the other sister, and take it over, then fine. But w/o knowing the will, it's unclear. But everyone should be on the property otherwise imho.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

I hope to know more after this Saturday. Dreading going down there tho and seeing them, ugh. Happy Face.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”