Kayaking, anyone?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Kayaking, anyone?

Postby texsuze » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm

I met for the first time, last week, with a gal's kayaking group in a nearby little town. Gray-hairs like myself, gals only, casual floating on the river (about 25 minutes from me), lunch afterwards. Their group is an offshoot of their local garden club. Never met these gals before but thought I'd dip my toe into the proverbial waters. A new group of friends!

For now, I'm able to borrow/test drive some kayaks, but since it has been nearly 30 years since I've even been in/on one, I'd like to get basic skills up to par before obtaining my own vessel. Most of these gals have sit-on kayaks, since this particular river has no white water, no hugely challenging sections, and the sit-ons are easier to get in and out of. I'll probably get a sit-on (sit upon? ;) when I have my own.

I've discovered that I really like a seat back that is very upright, I like a longer paddle, and I like (so far) the kayaks in the 8-10' range. Speaking as a total newbie, of course. DH is agitating for me to consider something 12-14' long (his beer buddies have this size---they are all taller than me!). I prefer to have a kayak that I can man-handle into/out of my truck on my own if I really take to this endeavor. We are land-locked here, so no sea kayaking. Lakes are about an hour or two away, but rivers are much closer.

I'd value some input from those who kayak occasionally or routinely re: length, features, brands, etc. Thanks in advance!

goneriding
Herd Member

Re: Kayaking, anyone?

Postby goneriding » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't have any input but I want to say how wonderful that sounds! I'd love to get into kayaking and having a fun supportive group of like minded lady friends would be amazing.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 am

I have three kayaks, all sit-in, none more than $500, most used going downstream, though all are fine on lakes without big winds. Seatback comfort is critical and the most expensive of the three has the most comfortable seatback. It also has the straps and bands that have lasted the longest.
My friends and I usually just putz down a river, or play along the shores of lakes with snacks and adult beverages. I usually have my legs hanging out at the knees unless I need to really dig in paddling. If I'm hitting a river with real current and significant effort is going to be required, I use the $500 kayak because it tracks the best with the least effort. That said, the funniest, dumpiest-looking of the three is actually the second-best when it comes to tracking through the water.
Make sure if you buy, not to over-purchase (10' is fine, no rudders needed if used as I describe) but to be sure there is some indication of a keel, typically just below the bow and the stern. Make sure those areas are well-defined. If you can wait, they go on sale in late summer. I have friends who haunt yard-sales and pick them up cheaply too.
I love to kayak! It's easy, brainless, sunny-funny activity.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:07 am

Oh, what fun. My only experience is a Hobie with Mirage pedal drive. It's swell, is great in high seas and wind (because ... pedals), has a great seat, weighs a bloody ton, and is stupidly expensive. It's a kick and a half. Cannot recommend it to anyone who has to haul anywhere. So, I'm no help.

A few years ago we were caught on Google Earth heading out for a paddle. Those three little bullets right in the middle. I'm still on the pier, climbing in. LOL.

kayaks.jpg
kayaks.jpg (228.12 KiB) Viewed 4881 times

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the input. Researching online and seeing all the styles, reviews, pricing, pros/cons of kayaks reminds me of shopping for saddles ;) My personal trainer offered to lend me her Riot kayak, so I'll test drive that vessel for our May KrAzy YAKers paddle-fest. Stay tuned...

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Had my second outing this morning, in the borrowed 10' Riot kayak. Worked fine, but a bit on the heavy side compared to the newer kayaks. I like the fit, though. This Riot is over 18 years old :shock: Anyway, I felt comfortable but very inefficient in the paddling department. I'll have to settle down and find a rhythm.

We were observed by Mrs. Fox, who had her kits stashed underneath a boulder near the river. Very quiet stretch of water, until the weed wackers and zero turn radius mowers blasted in. Everyone is prepping for the summer camp season, with girls and boys summer camps all up and down the river, not to mention tourists. Once that happens it will be noise and chaos on the weekends. Thankfully, this gals' kayak group meets on a weekday.

I plan to eventually get with a local company to sit in and talk about the various kayak makes/models. Maybe I'll even have my own vessel by the end of the summer!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”