Holiday! Tips and insider information needed ;)

Engage
Greenie

Holiday! Tips and insider information needed ;)

Postby Engage » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:28 am

My husband and I are a month away from a big road-trip through America! We are coming over for a wedding but decided to make use of the fact that we are already there to see more of the country.
We start in Houston where hubby was born, to New Orleans for the wedding, then Orlando, Miami, Key West. After that we will fly up to Washington for Christmas and on to New York, before flying home just before New Years.

So DDers, where do you recommend as do-not-misses in these places?
And more importantly...where are the best tack stores in these areas? I am also on the lookout for consignment and second-hand stores, as the dollar exchange rate is very much not in our favour at the moment.

We are so excited!

carpevita
Herd Member

Re: Holiday! Tips and insider information needed ;)

Postby carpevita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:51 am

I cant help you with that itinerary, but if you decide to head to Vermont i'm your girl!
Your trip sounds super fun, what are you driving?

RedMare
Greenie

Postby RedMare » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Orlando isn't too far from Ocala and the tack shops and consignment are amazing there!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Middleburg VA is on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. and is horse country. There are several tack stores there and cool B&Bs. I haven't been there in decades but I doubt it has changed much. You would need a car to get there.

D.C. itself has a ton of museums and historical places. You won't have any problem finding things to do there.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:29 pm

We have Charlotte's Saddlery in the Houston area, and there is a Dover now. I'm not sure where you will be in Houston, so I don't know if either of those would be accessible to you though. I believe Charlotte's does consignments.

There are tons of great museums and galleries in Houston, if that is your thing, and some truly wonderful places to eat.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:21 am

RTR, is Big D tack shop anywhere in that area?

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:19 am

Key West is pretty much a drink fest destination. Make sure you go to Kelly's for wings. Best in the universe. You can just hop on one of the trike-taxis there and ask for Kellys. Do that. DO IT!!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:21 am

Not far from Orlando is Kennedy Space Center and I really enjoyed my visit there and getting to see the space shuttle Atlantis.

In Miami you of course have to check out and walk around South Beach. Grab an outdoor table anywhere on Ocean Dr between 5th and around 10th and do some people watching.

Washington of course is all the monuments and museums. I wouldn't miss the Museum of Natural History or the Holocaust Museum. For something a little different you can try to get out to Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. I don't think the panda cub will be out for visitors yet at the zoo, but if he is you should definitely go see him!

I haven't been to NY in forever, but even if you don't go in the store you want to go to Macy's to see the Christmas displays in the windows.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”