And now...what about paint vs stain for the barn exterior?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

And now...what about paint vs stain for the barn exterior?

Postby fergusnc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 am

Been googling for two hours now. The longer I read, the more the camps are becoming equally divided. Though I'd love to hear the most recent experiences people have had. In concept, the stain that is a color like red or green sounds great...but I wonder if they turn out to be as good as they sound? Or is paint as awful as some people make it out to be with regards to upkeep and peeling? Or are some brands just head and shoulders above the rest?

Another big question is about any toxicity issues...do they exist? I am finding limited products that specifically have the horse safe aspect noted, and no reviews from customers on them.

Thanks all. I am so excited about the idea of having my life long dream realized, while also terrified of making a farm owning rookie mistake that my boy pays the price for! :(

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: And now...what about paint vs stain for the barn exterior?

Postby Fatcat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:41 am

Stain is all we use on our wood barn and outbuildings. The great thing about stain is there is no prep other than a pressure washing. Painting means lots of prep work,

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Our house is stained and it is SO MUCH EASIER than other houses I have lived in where the paint needs to be redone every few years.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks! So…any insight into brand choices, or a certain line that would be OK for the horses who may want to lick the buildings? :lol:

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:32 pm

When you select stain you need to pick transparent, semi-transparent or solid body. Its a matter of how much pigment there is and how much of the natural wood shows through. Solid body acts much like paint as it is total coverage and can peel and require the same prep for restaining. The transparent versions are penetrating products.

I suggest Cabots or Sikkens as far as quality. No idea how any stains differ as far as tastiness to horses.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”