As I sit here, bleeding...

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

As I sit here, bleeding...

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:30 am

Just a little vent really.

I have a stray cat situation (and hopefully, not blood poisoning.)

I now have TWO cats who do not belong to me living under my front porch. Both of these cats have, for no particularly apparent reason, migrated here from different homes about 2 miles away, in different directions, across rough country inhabited by mountain lions, coyotes and wolves. I do not fee them or provide them with succour and comfort in any way.

They both have perfectly good homes of their own. One of them we have trapped repeatedly and returned. It's owners are kind of snotty about it, but they also haven't offered to pay the vet bills for my cat who was minding her own business on her own front porch and was beaten up by their cat...

The second is a recent arrival. God knows why it picked us. Huge ginger cat. We trapped it this evening, it's owner, who is an old and dear friend, came down to collect it and said "oh, he's really sweet, I don't need to take the trap with me I'll just pick him up and put him in the back of the car."

I should have known better. Suffice to say, the two of us are suffering from some fairly significant lacerations (antiseptic and band-aids applied,) and the damned cat got away. He is now siting wailing piteously outside my living room window. But I doubt he will fall for the trap again.

Sigh.

Why us? I love cats, but my own house cats are miserable with the interlopers outside. and I really don't need any more cats of my own than I already have. Though I'm ready to kidnap the snotty people's cat and find it a new home.

Chisamba

Re: As I sit here, bleeding...

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:18 pm

Would it be mean to spray them with a water bottle or garden hose to make your deck seen less appealing? I mean s sprinkler, not a high pressure. Lol

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I have this problem with neighbor dogs. Yes, we have a nice property, no I don't want you on it! (some of our place is fenced, but not all 20 acres)

We do "freshen" the peanut butter bait on the electric fence for the garden this time of year. That usually keeps most of the free-range hollow dogs off the front of the property for a month or so. Is there a tuna fish version of this training technique for roaming cats???

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 pm

The orange cat actually turned up at his own home for breakfast this morning. Maybe we traumatized him enough...

The black cat greeted me warmly from his cosy nest in my hay shed this morning. Gah!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 pm

hahaha, you have a new cat . like it or not, :(

at least the view from your riding arena compensates, lol

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Are they good mousers? If so, quit sending them home.
Maybe you can give the other owners YOUR cats, and see if the trade works for everybody.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 pm

I like my cats far too much to do that...

I have a nice home lined up for the black one if it's owners continue to be obnoxious.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Great thread title, by the way.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:14 pm

I came home Thursday night to find that my DH had got home before me and decided to leave the back door open, then go shut himself up in his music room oblivious to all...

There was a very handsome and very angry hawk sitting hissing and flapping on the ceiling fan way up in the cathedral ceiling and a stray cat sitting on the kitchen counter.

Country living.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I came home Thursday night to find that my DH had got home before me and decided to leave the back door open, then go shut himself up in his music room oblivious to all...

There was a very handsome and very angry hawk sitting hissing and flapping on the ceiling fan way up in the cathedral ceiling and a stray cat sitting on the kitchen counter.

Country living.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:35 pm

That is a great scene! I have to say that stray cats without a secure location (barn/home/shed) in which to reside do not last where I live either, between hawks, loose dogs and coyotes.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:07 pm

Moutaineer wrote:There was a very handsome and very angry hawk sitting hissing and flapping on the ceiling fan way up in the cathedral ceiling and a stray cat sitting on the kitchen counter.

I literally, really, spit on my keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:27 pm

Honestly, Quelah, I feel like Mrs. Weasley sometimes...
Last edited by Moutaineer on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:45 am

And of course I have to know...how'd you get Mr. Hawk to head back outside? :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:08 am

All the lights off inside, porch lights on, kitchen door open. Stand up on mezzanine, wave net on long pole around him trying to avoid him flying into your face, talons flashing, to persuade him downwards towards the light. When you hear the thump of large bird hitting kitchen floor, run down he stairs (spouse remaining safely on mezzanine waving net around) praying that birdy has made it's escape through the open kitchen door, slam door, creep around ground floor of house to confirm birdlessness... hear thumping outside as bird chases stray cat across porch (truly..). Breathe sigh of relief and pour large glass of wine.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 pm

You definitely earned a glass this size...

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 10.05.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 10.05.26 AM.png (56.43 KiB) Viewed 13635 times

AnnCohrs
Greenie

Postby AnnCohrs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 am

WOW - a hawk on the chandelier must be a FIRST!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 am

Would i be correct in guessing the one followed the other inside?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:27 pm

I really don't know, Chisamba. My theory is that DH had set the cat trap just outside the door he had left open (duh... who does THAT?) and the hawk was attracted to the cat food and then made a wrong turn.

I still have an orange cat and a black cat lurking. Both of them have sussed out the trap and are having nothing to do with it. Sigh. The black cat came bouncing up to me when I went out to feed this morning, rubbing around my legs and rolling on his back. He doesn't want to go home.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”