OMG this is actually worse than horse shopping

Quelah
Herd Member

OMG this is actually worse than horse shopping

Postby Quelah » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:21 pm

First World problem alert.

So my beloved Anonahonda (1996 Honda Accord) was stolen. Go figure, it lived, for the 15 years I had it, unlocked, with the keys on the floor in the front seat footwell. It went home with our mechanic and doors locked and gated community, and it's gone baby gone. An Audi R8 parked 50 feet away and they took the 20 year old Honda with 300K miles. I hope whoever stole it is allergic to dog hair.

Anyway….

So I have to get a new, preferably lightly used, car. I like to be the only driver on the trucks, I'd prefer someone else take the "drive it off the lot $$$ hit" on the cars. I want a two door coupe, I want it grey, and I want a grey interior. Or gray, I'm flexible on that.

This is actually proving to be more difficult than the 16+ hand black 1/2 Andalusian with 3 white feet. Grey is actually harder to find, my Shire friends could have told me that, I think there's like 300 grey Shires in the world. I can find grey on the outside, but not grey on the inside. Why are so many auto interiors black now? Who wants a black interior? And even if you can find grey seats, the dash is black! This is California folks, I get that new cars have AC, that's why we buy new cars, but it's hot here and AC or no, I'd rather not get in the car and have a fricking solar panel radiating heat in my face until it cools down.

I think my expectations were warped on how difficult this would be since I custom ordered both trucks from Ford, so the grey/grey was a non issue. That was kind of like calling God and saying "I'd like a black Andalusian cross better than 16 hands and it has to have 3 white feet." and 340 days later out it pops. Or 6 weeks in Ford's case, yay Detroit! Well trucks were made in Kentucky actually, even better.

But wait! I did that, without calling on any deities, he's out in the pasture right now!

So if anyone has any suggestions on cars that come with two doors, grey paint, and grey interiors, and NOT black dashboard, please let me know. Mustangs, BTW, only come with black dashboards now. As it seems, do Honda Accords, that was my first thought since I put 230K sometimes treacherous (seriously, that car had gone were Jeeps could not) and totally trouble free miles on the Anonahonda. Poor thing, she's probably scared and doesn't know where she is or what's happening to her. This is like the dirty version of the eventual end I'd planned for her. I always figured when the sad day came, I'd give her to the local fire department down the road and they could roll her over and crunch her up a little bit and practice rescuing each other. The greater good at the end you know?

And yes, I know, the Maserati Granturismo ticks all the boxes, the those front grills are hell to clean the bugs off of ;)

Beorn
Herd Member

Re: OMG this is actually worse than horse shopping

Postby Beorn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Well... *technically* not a Maserati, but the Porsche 997 came with an stone grey interior option: http://s111.photobucket.com/user/yemenm ... 5.jpg.html

Also, the cadillac ATS has a non-black interior option. They're pretty nifty cars in some build configurations (including the coupe): http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/98247740-23.html

Not helpful, I know...sorry for the insult of the stolen car :evil:

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:15 pm

I had the same issue. Ended up with gray interior with half black dash. The only saving grace is that new cars all have tinted windows to a greater or lesser degree. Back when my Ford Pinto's black dash split because of the sun (and I resolved to never have black again), it was getting fully cooked by the sun through tint free windows.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Wow I feel for you!! I am overly attached to my vehicles and keep them til they die (after someone else takes the depreciation hit lol). DH's car has a black interior, it was also on my list of 'absolutely not!" when I was shopping. Are you fussy about transmission type?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Aww, your poor Anonahonda!

Find a grey car you like, then get a grey dashboard cover?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 pm

orono, it pains me to say this but it needs to have an automatic transmission. I love manuals, I custom ordered both my trucks with manuals, but for a car, yeah I'm taking the easy way out ;)

Canyon, :lol: :lol: :lol: , I had the same thought. How very 1980's of us. I actually looked to see if they still made them. They do, and in suede finish even, so it would look less like you carpeted your dash, while being possible better at keeping dead flies in place. That's the real job of a dash mat you know, pinless mounting of dead insects.

I need to go sit in a Mustang. The last one I was in was a 67 fastback. Interior color wouldn't matter cause I'd get it Baker blanket set covers. Pony car you know ;)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”