Need suggestions for short get-away on East coast

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Need suggestions for short get-away on East coast

Postby Josette » Fri May 06, 2016 6:24 pm

DH suggested we do a short get away (3-5 days) before he starts new job. Frankly I'm exhausted and can use a break from work. However, I'm coming up blank as I don't want to come back more tired. I was thinking of DC until I checked that the Smithsonian dinosaur exhibit is closed until 2019! I'd never been and thought it would be fun. I'd love to go to Maine (Portland) but weather is still cold and some shops/restaurants are seasonal - so maybe too early. We've been to FL (Sanibel, Anna Maria Island, Key West, St Augustine). NYC Museum Natural History I think would depress me seeing all those dead stuffed animals (I know I'm weird that way). I'm even being lazy about driving lost distances as too tiring so am open to train/plane or within 2 hr drive. DC is 2+ hr AMTrack ride for us. Note - we love eating fresh seafood which may have influenced some of our coastal trips in the past. I'm rambling here.... DH did recently visit his brother in AZ so he already did a get away trip. Maybe I'll try to go somewhere and let him take care of all the critters for a change. (Try and talk my sister into one.) Arranging a trip with both of us gone is major undertaking to board out pets and get farm sitter - - maybe that's why I'm tired before I even get it started. :roll:

cb06
Herd Member

Re: Need suggestions for short get-away on East coast

Postby cb06 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Chincoteague/Assateague, MD Eastern Shore, St. Michaels, etc... ?

http://www.visitmaryland.org/places-to-go/eastern-shore

The 2 hour Skipjack sail sounds lovely...
http://www.washingtonian.com/2007/05/01 ... ern-shore/

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri May 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Visited St Michaels MD last year. I may just do a day trips somewhere or stay home and ride on a sunny day. Considering the Bronx zoo or the Botanical Gardens....

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Josette wrote:Visited St Michaels MD last year. I may just do a day trips somewhere or stay home and ride on a sunny day. Considering the Bronx zoo or the Botanical Gardens....

Sometimes just going somewhere close for a weekend is just as refreshing, and a lot less tiring, than a longer trip.

Another option might be to invite friends over to ride with you, as that's usually a lot more fun than riding alone.

I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but a group of friends I used to trail ride with just kind of dropped out of the sky this spring and we now get together for weekly drill team practice with their instructor. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to do it when they first mentioned it, but their instructor is really good and it's way more fun than I thought it would be.

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Fri May 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Are there any fancy schmancy resort hotels close by? Maybe treat yourselves to spa treatments or whatever.

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 07, 2016 2:58 am

I vote Charlston SC!! My DH and I spent quite a few of our anniversaries there. Stay in historic district, take a carriage ride, lots of shops, GREAT seafood, good walking around, lots of history there. My mom, DS and I went for DS bday to go treasure hunting, using metal detector and had a guide, boy did we have fun! DH and I have been to Fort Sumpter and seen the Hunley. We feel very safe walking around even late at night in historic district.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sat May 07, 2016 3:11 am

Another vote for Charlston, we have a great time when we visited there. Great food, kind people, shopping and mild weather. Hope you have a great time where ever you end up.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Charleston really is delightful, and it is mild this time of year. Excellent food.

We like staying in Folly Beach for the ocean and convenient Charleston access for dinner, but staying in town is also fun.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun May 08, 2016 10:44 pm

BTW, I think DC is a good choice, too (new African American museum, I love the architecture and experience of the newish Native American museum, I also visit the East Wing of the art museum to see "friends").

Be aware that the Metro is having some challenges.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

It's a nice time to come to the Berkshires, before all the tourists descend upon it. Not as much going on for theater/music/etc, but the majority of places are open year-round.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon May 09, 2016 4:25 pm

So far, i think we will do a day trip to Cape May and visit their zoo. I have memorial plaques there. Beautiful zoo. Maybe hit Smithville Village on the way down. I'm feeling too pressed for time for any short flight trips. My big bucket trip for this year will be late Aug/early Sept to National Redwood Forest. Never been to the CA coast and LOVE the PNW! Major tree hugger here.

I considered the Catskills too but just to don't know where to go - there are so many options. I recall as a kid hiking some trails with waterfalls..... I'm not familiar with the area (huge) and would need to research it. A lovely village with eateries in high priority with B&B.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 pm

If you are thinking about the Catskills, I recommend the area around New Paltz and stay at the Mohonk Mountain House.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:02 pm

LeoApp wrote:If you are thinking about the Catskills, I recommend the area around New Paltz and stay at the Mohonk Mountain House.

If I'm remembering right they have stables and you can go out on guided trail rides.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”