Help Chancellor find a horse???

Chancellor
Site Admin

Help Chancellor find a horse???

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I've been horse shopping for the last couple months and I am so disheartened. A few months ago, the first horse I tried (with ZinniaZ's approval) was EXCELLENT. However, because I have had more than my fair share of bad horses and now have some fear issues, I didn't put a deposit down on him right away.
I wanted to go back in a week to try him again. I made arrangements to do just that before I left that day to come up the following weekend. Sadly the Thursday before the weekend, his owner called and said he had already been sold. :cry:
So, I am now on the search for the next horse. My requirements are TOUGH to say the least.
First, under 10k.
Second, able to take up a 36" inch leg and not be dwarfed by my overweight body. (I am working on the overweight and have lost 10lbs but have a LOT more to go).
Third, SMOOTH trot. I just can't do a big trot. No matter what I have tried, big trots get me every single time.
Fourth, and probably most important? QUIET.

I don't care about gelding or mare or color. I'd prefer that they be within a couple hours drive from my house in Central MA because I would like to try them more than once. If you can find that Unicorn, can you also find me an indoor arena boarding farm within 20 minutes of same house that isn't going to cost me $800/month?

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Help Chancellor find a horse???

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm

My good friend is looking for a big horse for her husband (a husband horse). He is really tall; like 6'4", but slim. Their budget is larger than yours though, and they don't mind importing. I was helping her look at ads here in the USA. I thought this horse would be perfect for him, but she nixed him for various reasons.

I don't want to insult you by putting up this link. I don't know what type of quality/movement you want or what your goals are. I do remember (I think) seeing you ride a big fancy chestnut and you were a good rider. Therefore, this horse may be too unfancy for you. I think he looks like a good guy for someone needing a big/quiet/young horse and the seller has a good rep. He's 15k though, but who knows they may go lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=gqdRYpKHXuo

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

I am not insulted by any horse. I USED to be a good rider...then I got fat and scared. That horse is cute but maybe a little TOO big for me. I'd rather get something chunky and smaller. You are right that I used to ride Moose aka GottaDance who was pretty fancy. But he also hurt me pretty badly and shook my confidence a LOT.

Backyarder
Novice

Postby Backyarder » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:47 pm

I think it's meant to be chancellor, did you notice that horses sires name? It is Black Park Chancellar..!

Dragonfly
Greenie

Postby Dragonfly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I have a 34 inseam (Im 5"5") so at a guess a well sprung 15.2 would probably work for you?

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 pm

chancellor, I was thinking that I needed to FB message you about your horse hunt. Sorry it's not going well. If I see anything, I'll pass it on. Congrats on the weight loss.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:41 am

Chancellor wrote: I USED to be a good rider...then I got fat and scared.

Amen sister, amen!!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:29 am

Was the horse you lost out on the Irish Draught boy? Good luck in your search!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 am

No, the Irish Draught people never got back to me.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Any requirements on training? I mean, I assume you aren't looking for a total greenbean, but anything specific beyond that?

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm

There's a FB group for horses and tack being sold in MA and NH. I've seen some nice horses on that page.

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Is Woodbine, MD too far away? And this guy might be too big anyway.

17.3 h, appears to be a draft cross. Temperament 2 (from 1-10). Asking price is $10k, so not under your requirement. Gee, I might not have meet any of your requirements.
Here's the ad anyway. He does at least sound very quite.
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2010694.html

And this one is not so huge. Draft Cross,16.2h another 2 temperament. Asking $8.5k. Pennsylvania.
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2003676.html

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:41 pm

I just saw a friend at a Hunter Pace this weekend. She was riding her 5 year old, 16.1 hand (?) dark brown TB/Cleveland Bay mare. She bred, raised, and trained this mare herself. The mare is quite attractive and seems laid back. My friend has decided to sell her because (I think) she is too quiet & laid-back to suit my eventer friend. My friend trail rides her out alone and in groups. This mare led her group in the hunter pace as the other horses were either green or nervous. She says her mare is not afraid of strange things and is happy to go first, middle, or last. I don't have pictures, and my friend has not actually formally advertised this mare for sale. She said she has been told to ask $10K, but I'm pretty sure she would take less. This mare is in Kentucky. Let me know if you are interested in contact information.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:21 pm

nightlace and Teresa, yes, unfortunately these horses are too far away at the moment! I'm trying very hard to be able to try the horse a few times to make sure they are right.
I rode this weekend to get on a horse who was being a bit balky for a friend of mine. Unfortunately, my knee was REALLY achey after that. Of course, kicking like Thelwell probably didn't help!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm

I want Lenny!!

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Lenny looks pretty darn cute......

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Mirabella wrote:

I want Lenny!!

Me too! He looks like a gem!

Please don't get discouraged during your search, Chancellor. I looked for two years before I found my new guy. His gaits are nice, his mind is great, and he says, "Yes, I'll try that!", instead of "Make me" like my warmblood does. New horse is 6" shorter than WB and so much fun!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 am

If the horse in Woodbine is still available next week or after, I could check that one out, possibly with some professional help if you are interested Chancellor. (my first post on this board)

And HI!!!! :)

Red Barn
Greenie

Postby Red Barn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:16 am

It was wonderfully, incredibly good of you to save the forum, so I'm going to help you look. (Plus I love, love, love virtual horse shopping. ;) )

15K, but gorgeous, and sounds super safe. TBxClyde field hunter, temperament 2:
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2009365.html

Also a bit over-budget, but with more dressage training. Very sturdy-looking ISH, temperament 4:
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2009140.html

Budget-friendly all-rounder, TBxPerch mare, temperament 3:
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/1999020.html

This one has no picture, but her wonderful drag queen name - "Troika Divits" - is so awesome I couldn't resist. Shire SH, temperament 4:
http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/1995056/tr ... setts.html

All are in the Northeast.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

I've called on the ISH but no response on more than one contact so not sure what is up with that!

I guess I will have more time for the horse hunt since one of my contracts has been terminated!

Red Barn
Greenie

Postby Red Barn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Chancellor wrote:I've called on the ISH but no response on more than one contact so not sure what is up with that!

Oh, that's too bad - he's quite handsome.

Probably sold, but maybe they're just bad about returning calls?

Red Barn
Greenie

Postby Red Barn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

And how do you feel about Paints? "Sane, sweet, second level"; only slightly over budget:
http://www.horseclicks.com/sane-sweet-w ... 5?op=video

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Red Barn wrote:
Chancellor wrote:I've called on the ISH but no response on more than one contact so not sure what is up with that!

Oh, that's too bad - he's quite handsome.

Probably sold, but maybe they're just bad about returning calls?

That was a handsome boy and priced really well.

I like the paint too. Cute.

saltheart
Greenie

Postby saltheart » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:19 pm

I have one that fits the bill in every way you've described except on the other side of the country. :( Wish I could help!

BoleroSW
Greenie

Postby BoleroSW » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:10 pm

http://www.nhwebsolutions.com/classifie ... hoolmaster

I missed which Irish horse you inquired about - was it this the one?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:14 am

I like this one:

QH mare in MA, 15.3 hh (maybe that's not tall enough).

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2010188/ms ... setts.html

Some of those draft x look like conformational disasters waiting to happen.

Red Barn
Greenie

Postby Red Barn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:53 am

AmityBee wrote:Some of those draft x look like conformational disasters waiting to happen.

How so?

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:42 pm

I like the blk/wht paint!! Nice training there. I like the ISH horse too, looks like a fun horse to ride.

Good luck on your search!

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:41 pm

I don't know how to link to a specific post on a public facebook board - scroll down to the paint/draft mare posted around 9am.
She could be neat - not necessarily a lot of dressage training (mentions Intro scores), but...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1198211 ... 6/?fref=nf

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Red Barn wrote:
AmityBee wrote:Some of those draft x look like conformational disasters waiting to happen.

How so?

Don't get me wrong, I do like drafts/draftXs. But some of these are big horses with long, weak backs and weak hind ends. Goose rumped (too much so even for a draft), straight legged, camped out behind, long backs weak loins. Lenny and the grey perch QH are my least favourite ones, they have to move so weirdly behind, they almost look lame.

That said, I really like Merlin (the grey MC posted) and Titan (the other palomino). The paint is nice, too.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:27 pm

I liked the b/w paint from the horse clicks ad. I didn't like the ISH. He didn't seem to be a cheerful ride. But I'd try any and all horses you're interested in just to start zeroing in on the temperament you really want to have this next time around...

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:07 am

saltheart wrote:I have one that fits the bill in every way you've described except on the other side of the country. :( Wish I could help!

I'm looking for a similar horse as chancellor and I'm on your side of the country (I assume, as I'm on the opposite side as chancellor!). Can you provide more info?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”